Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
O-28-01-1.png

I figure they'd get reviewed-bombed to the depths of Cocytus if they dared rein in on the skeeviness. A shame, since the original remake was a pretty fun game :S

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
I had the opposite interpretation of the fan edit. I thought it was an attempt to make Aloy look older rather than the chibi-fiction that Genshin Impact went with. And I think the key difference here is the eyes. While narrowing of the cheeks could be seen as an attempt to make her more skinny, the narrowing of the eyes is not. Frequently art will try to infantilize female characters by giving them rounder faces, larger eyes and less distinctive facial features: all of which this fan art is attempting to remove.

Also, this being an edit to make Aloy seem skinnier and "more attractive" would imply that Genshin Impact has a wide range of body types to compare it to. But that's not the case. Most of the women in Genshin have the same round faced & young looking (despite their stated ages) designs which intend to invoke an inherent sense of youthfulness in their designs. The rounder faces in Genshin should probably not be interpreted as a positive sign of body type diversity. That's giving it far far too much faith

Finally, while it doesn't reveal the artist's motivations, almost all the comments on that reddit page are about how the fan edit makes Aloy look older or less chibi-fied. So, at the very least, this doesn't seem to be a repeat of that disgusting reaction to Aloy in Horizon Forbidden West (or previously with the original New Dawn)

Hmm...after reading your take on this, I can agree that I might have come across a bit too hasty in my observations. I can see where you've made certain connections that, after looking at this concept a bit more closely and on a different light, that I can also agree with as well. Looking at the eyebrows, small eyes, etc...it does certainly look like the main intentions were to make her appear older possibly. If the body weight and attractiveness of the picture were the entire reasoning as to why it needed a fan edit, then you're right, there would have been no point with attempting to correct her eyes and add the small feature of eyelashes as well.

You are correct that the game definitely does not have a wide variety of body types, at least for playable and interchangeable characters, that's for sure. This actually brings up a strikingly good point why only NPC's are the ones not limited by a certain pre-determined line of body types for characters. Oddly enough, there are quite a few NPC's that differ in shape and size, but the variety is very limited when it comes to the actual "gacha" characters. I would definitely agree that the roundness of her face was trying to keep in line with a more youthful approach like with the majority of their characters. I wonder if we could say that this goes back to the line of certain JRPG developers, even though Genshin is controlled by a Chinese developer, the stigma that some cultures have about seeing women within video games only being attractive and relatable towards their players if they remain youthful in appearance. The whole idea that there's very far and few women in games that actually show their age because the developers of those games have this personal preference or personal fear that showing an older character as a woman will not reach or resonate with the players nearly as much as a younger person would.

You're right, this doesn't reveal much of anything with the original artist. This actually seems rather tame in comparison.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take but WoW's character design just in general is trash. Never liked it.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Hmm...after reading your take on this, I can agree that I might have come across a bit too hasty in my observations. I can see where you've made certain connections that, after looking at this concept a bit more closely and on a different light, that I can also agree with as well. Looking at the eyebrows, small eyes, etc...it does certainly look like the main intentions were to make her appear older possibly. If the body weight and attractiveness of the picture were the entire reasoning as to why it needed a fan edit, then you're right, there would have been no point with attempting to correct her eyes and add the small feature of eyelashes as well.
I came to a similar conclusion as your initial one, though for different reasons. The fan listed 4 changes:
  1. Narrower head
  2. Smaller eyes
  3. Tilted eyebrows
  4. Eyelashes
The first 2 changes made her look a bit older, which could be interpreted as simply wanting to make her look more like in the source game. But I do not think that is the case when we combine them with the last 2 changes. The smaller eyes and tilt of the eyebrows make the edited image seem less like a stare, while the eyelashes make her seem more feminine. The overall impression is a less intense looking face. I though these changes more consistent with the suspicion that the artist aged her to the "legal" range than rebellion against the youthfulness of Genshin's characters.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I was originally going to say a dating sim but then I realized it wouldn't end up that much different from the actual game

So instead I went with the buttery-sweet version of objectification that is beach volleyball lol

No imagine like Ellie and Abby beefing on the court trading shots while the referee Dina is just failing to reign them in and Joel is buried up to his head in sand watching. I would play that.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
The fan edit is just a disgusting, over-dramatic take on what happened when the sequel to Horizon Dawn was first released. There were many players upset that Aloy's face looked a little bit chubbier within her cheeks in the sequel than they did in the first game. Many people, whom I can only surmise were predominantly men, were very upset that she suddenly gained possibly 5 extra lbs. (this is a guesstimate) within her cheeks, just her cheeks and nowhere else on her body.

And, because of Aloy's face looking a little chubbier, you have all kinds of unsavory individuals immediately saying she's fat, she's unattractive, this is sexist and misogynistic against attractive women, and just...any bizarre way that they can try and make themselves feel better about disliking her as a character now and excusing this weird body-shaming mindset. This all goes back to the mindsets of the '60s where a woman going over a certain weight threshold was deemed unmarriable.

I always secretly hope that we move past this sort of nonsense as we move forward into 2022, but well...I can see that the male gaze fans from Horizon Dawn wormed their way into Genshin as well.

Didn't even notice the thinner face. I already didn't like the genshin redesign as it seemed to be doing the things the complainers over her original design wanted so I had that bias going for me. Also think that the last place we may be able to remove male gaze from is gatcha games as it's not a place that it needs to worm into, it's prebaked into them already. I'm sure there are exceptions but it seems like the primary selling point and motivation for people to spend money in them.

So lets talk about how Blaster Master Zero reboot went from a pretty cool faithful remake of the NES game from back in the day.

To pointless anime waifu bait for absolutely no reason.

This is Eve from Blaster Master Zero 1

latest

This is also Eve from Blaster Master Zero 2

latest

Blaster Master Zero 2 also introduces KANNA the literal watermelon boobs the character

a0d.jpg

Blaster Master Zero 2 also got a really late edition DLC which is just a mini game where you play dungeons to get gacha versions of Kanna herself

maxresdefault.jpg

Now lets take a look at Blaster Master Zero 3

First up the Box art itself

1280x720.jpg

Now lets take a look at the characters themselves

BMZ3Eve.jpg

latest

latest

Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?

Yup, it's hot garbage and par for the course for Inta Creates. Which is a shame since the games they make are really good/fun to play. They don't fucking need to do this to sell and I've already raged out enough about this, probably in this very thread, before. Take a look at the Gunvolt games and their spinoffs for more examples that I will not post because it's mostly children.

What I hate even more is that I'm still going to buy BMZ3. At least I got out of Gunvolt/Luminous Avenger.

Last edited:

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I know these games have already been brought up a lot here, but the art at the end of this trailer is really thigh heavy.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looked around for any video game female centaurs but only found these 2.
1662824-e1b.png

1392234-elmore_p087al.jpg

The Shining Force series comes to mind.

forcetogether.jpg

Ds3e6aKXcAM33aQ

Designs in the original were not bad I think (that said there was an hidden Bikini and Dress for two of the mage characters). Old games were made on the Genesis by who is now Camelot with Nintendo. My understanding is the new games are made by a guy that did Hentai and sadly shows.

Last edited:

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Written good" is obviously very subjective and if a story isn't positive/idealistic/optimistic in at least some way I'm probably going to think it's not written well.
I think you can separate quality and preference though, no? Having a preference for optimism is the subjective nature of it, but I'm guessing you'd acknowledge that bleak stories can also be written well even if you don't personally enjoy them.

As one example I would not blame anyone for disliking and avoiding Mad Men, but I also think it's pretty darn close to objective that the writing is extremely high quality.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I know these games have already been brought up a lot here, but the art at the end of this trailer is really thigh heavy.

As someone with a meaty thigh, I approve! Happy to see characters with a shape like mine and artists drawing more than just big tits on a girl. lol

As someone who cares a lot about who women are depicted in media... Yeah a lot of it is exposed fighters who can't seem to find proper pants and enjoy thrusting their hips in awkward ways.

The designs are quite unique but it's obvious why they look the way they do. 🙄

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
I think you can separate quality and preference though, no? Having a preference for optimism is the subjective nature of it, but I'm guessing you'd acknowledge that bleak stories can also be written well even if you don't personally enjoy them.

As one example I would not blame anyone for disliking and avoiding Mad Men, but I also think it's pretty darn close to objective that the writing is extremely high quality.
What do we mean by written well? Written well according to the standards of society as a whole, sure? But if you don't enjoy a work or find any other meaning in it, then I would say it's not written well from your perspective.

And I think everyone would be much happier if they were honest with themselves and judged things by the second standard instead.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
What do we mean by written well? Written well according to the standards of society as a whole, sure? But if you don't enjoy a work or find any other meaning in it, then I would say it's not written well from your perspective.

And I think everyone would be much happier if they were honest with themselves and judged things by the second standard instead.

"I didn't like the writing" is much more polite and a lot less antagonizing then "It's bad writing"

If people stopped acting like their opinion is the objective truth, then we would all be happier.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't like country music, but I would never say that all country music is written poorly. I can acknowledge the genuine expertise and care that went into making some of the work, while still not personally enjoying it. (Of course there is also lots of country that I would just say outright sucks too)

"What does written well mean" is a huge question that I'm not pretentious enough to try to answer, lol. But I do think it is noticeable when something is performed with expertise.

Feb 24, 2018
This isn't really about anything recent but just a general frustration.

When discussion of the sexualisation of women in fighting games is discussed, particularly costumes or toning stuff down, inevitably there will be several people both online and offline that say something like, "We should tone stuff down BUT should have the more sexualised ones as ALTs/DLC!"

These types of comments are rarely called out but it irks me because it implies a woman simply can't be sexualised at all, that a woman who doesn't want to wear revealing costumes aren't allowed or don't sell which falls into the same "No women over 30!" Crap; That you HAVE to reward/appeal to men when it comes to women and it still treats women as commodities, just more insidiously.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
That Blizzcon video is distressing, but sadly not unexpected.

Also holy crap at the Blaster Master Zero progression. I enjoyed the first game (and played the original as a kid) and like the designs, but nope'd out of buying the sequel after seeing the art. I didn't think they could get even worse for the third game.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Playing some Ys Seven lately and due to me following this topic I notice a lot more problems. I starts out all well and good with Tia and Maya dressed appropriately like poor girls from the slums, no real sexualisation going on there. Later on we meet badass hammer warrior Cruxie, princess Aisha and blind prophet Mishera... Cruxie dresses alright I think, I also do like that there is a lot of middle eastern names in the localisation. Mustafa and Fatima are both elders of their respective villages.

A shame this badass hammer warrior Cruxie is using the famous pigeon toe stance, one wonders how she wings around a huge hammer like that.
The prophet Mishera is really wearing far too less for someone living so high up the mountains in a windy village.. it must be far too cold to be showing so much skin.
Aisha has some weird white things sticking out of her trousers.. while her top could be somewhat less naked as well. If she's supposed to be an arabic princess like her name suggests... more covering would make sense to protect from the sun.

Then well...
they totally ruin Tia by making her into a tattooed mostly naked sideboob on both side goth fetish shaman abomination near the end

It's an old PSP game by Falcom.. so I guess it's not even all that bad considering the tripe that came out on that console.

Last edited:

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
So lets talk about how Blaster Master Zero reboot went from a pretty cool faithful remake of the NES game from back in the day.

This is also Eve from Blaster Master Zero 2

latest

Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?

Is that cat hoverboard a part of her outfit? Is it her legs?
I have so many questions.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
why is it that sexualised designs are often also just like. aesthetically offensive. at least with 2B her design is bad and sexist but like... i can dig the gothic lolita black lace vibes. these are just... ugly.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The NES game was just about a young boy chasing after his frog and finding a tank

PITS_BM1.png

He then has to use the tank to free himself and his pet frog from underground mutants.

Thats it

The boy chasing a frog etc was actually just a weird localization thing, the original had a more serious sci-fi premise, and the newer games merged the two different backstories.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
This isn't really about anything recent but just a general frustration.

When discussion of the sexualisation of women in fighting games is discussed, particularly costumes or toning stuff down, inevitably there will be several people both online and offline that say something like, "We should tone stuff down BUT should have the more sexualised ones as ALTs/DLC!"

These types of comments are rarely called out but it irks me because it implies a woman simply can't be sexualised at all, that a woman who doesn't want to wear revealing costumes aren't allowed or don't sell which falls into the same "No women over 30!" Crap; That you HAVE to reward/appeal to men when it comes to women and it still treats women as commodities, just more insidiously.
I've heard similar lines of thought from people, though usually in regards to female characters getting new default designs and having their more fanservicey legacy costumes as alts or DLC for players to use. It seems you haven't even gotten the "luxury" of dealing with that particular situation and nothing else. It would be nice if fighting games didn't have to reserve development time for stuff like swimsuit DLC and made something more unique instead.

Honestly, outside of Mortal Kombat and Smash Bros., what fighting game series just don't really indulge in fanservice DLC these days?

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
why is it that sexualised designs are often also just like. aesthetically offensive. at least with 2B her design is bad and sexist but like... i can dig the gothic lolita black lace vibes. these are just... ugly.
I wonder if part of it comes from their (the audience's) need to "own" the designs. Like, it's their thing, designed for them. If people like us are turned off by it, that's good.

It's all very creepy.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I wonder if part of it comes from their (the audience's) need to "own" the designs. Like, it's their thing, designed for them. If people like us are turned off by it, that's good.

It's all very creepy.
kNrFOM5.jpg

This (forward facing) design document for Blaster Master Zero (1) gives some real insight to the driving force behind the artwork/designs for women in Inti Creates games.

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
Honestly, outside of Mortal Kombat and Smash Bros., what fighting game series just don't really indulge in fanservice DLC these days?
The only games I can think of don't have DLC costumes because their animation and/or lighting systems are too complex for alt costumes to be practical. All ArcSys fighting games, Skullgirls, Fighting Herds, Melty Blood... And out of those, only Fighting Herds and (from what I've seen of it) Melty Blood don't have any sexualized female characters in the first place.

Oh wait, I guess there's Pokken too, lol.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
kNrFOM5.jpg

This (forward facing) design document for Blaster Master Zero (1) gives some real insight to the driving force behind the artwork/designs for women in Inti Creates games.
So creepy, "it would make good cosplay" wtf is wrong with people

Shame that we lost A, it looked nice

It's also funny (meaning predictable) that certain groups get mad at localization changes calling it censorship of the "vision" of original team but in case like this you never hear of them

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
So creepy, "it would make good cosplay" wtf is wrong with people

Shame that we lost A, it looked nice

It's also funny (meaning predictable) that certain groups get mad at localization changes calling it censorship of the "vision" of original team but in case like this you never hear of them

These design docs also let the world know that Kanna, the plant girl was originally concepted as a shark girl in a bikini...with four breasts.

EK_d_6TVAAESDnM

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Quiet and Blaster Master are probably the two most common topics of this thread (and for good reason). Not disparaging the current conversations as they are 100% necessary. Rather I find it's remarkable that in the pile of objectification that regularly occurs in gaming, those two games always find a way to stand out regardless. Says a lot about how be blatant they are in grossness and objectification.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quiet and Blaster Master are probably the two most common topics of this thread (and for good reason). Not disparaging the current conversations as they are 100% necessary. Rather I find it's remarkable that in the pile of objectification that regularly occurs in gaming, those two games always find a way to stand out regardless. Says a lot about how be blatant they are in grossness and objectification.
Quiet situation is so infuriating because she is not just a throwaway gacha jpeg - there is a cool character in there! And they just completely fucked it up. Such a waste.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
The "funniest" part of this is that Mega Man has almost no women so this dumb gacha game has to go to comedic lengths to make it work
Not really this is a gatcha game for x characters which actually have a lot more women.

Iris, layer, Alia, pallette, cinnamon, Marino, fermhan, all those are x characters

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Quiet situation is so infuriating because she is not just a throwaway gacha jpeg - there is a cool character in there! And they just completely fucked it up. Such a waste.
Honestly, that's why Quiet gets mentioned so much. There's just nothing interesting to talk about with such blatant & obvious objectification that occurs in a lot of mobile & gacha games. Even more high profile games like Fire Emblem Heroes is sorta yawn inducing at this point (hence why Three Houses gets mentioned more often despite being unquestionably better). But Quiet has positive attributes and is in a well regarded game yet still turned out to be a complete disaster. Plus there's Kojima's misogynistic comments on top. It inherently makes Quite more compelling to talk about.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
The "funniest" part of this is that Mega Man has almost no women so this dumb gacha game has to go to comedic lengths to make it work

Not really this is a gatcha game for x characters which actually have a lot more women.

Iris, layer, Alia, pallette, cinnamon, Marino, fermhan, all those are x characters
Which makes it worse as I do like the X series and I wish they didn't have to do this to them.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Which makes it worse as I do like the X series and I wish they didn't have to do this to them.
At this point it's guaranteed for gacha games, no gatcha game is exempt from it like even the Gundam mobile game where you are mostly just pulling for parts had an ai swimsuit as a part of the anniversary this week. Otaku whale a lot of money for this stuff. It's not really surprising these happen in each one (it also does help that the swimsuit characters also end up being broken gameplay wise) 99% of the time

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
Ah, Quiet even your uniform icons are stupid:
maxresdefault.jpg

This reminds me about how stupid it is that Quiet's non-naked outfits cost significantly more GMP, which contributed to me running out as I was completing side-missions after beating the game. After spending hours attempting the Tsuchinoko-money-making trick (I caught several of them the first time, then was lucky to get one or two every time after that) I decided to just drop the game.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

This is a completely pointless distinction. Not only does the X series fail to even remotely reach a equal representation of men to women, but the gacha game also prominently includes non-X characters such as Roll & Tron Bonne. So the game is pretty clearly catering to the franchise as a whole at this point and yet still struggles to have enough women to objectify for $$$

I fear for when we get Ace Attorney gacha

Oct 27, 2017
Wait that is a Mega Man game? Wut

Gacha really is the worst trend. So many IPs get ruined because of the whales that buy terrible skins and shit
These design docs also let the world know that Kanna, the plant girl was originally concepted as a shark girl in a bikini...with four breasts.

EK_d_6TVAAESDnM
Ugh

Why must we sexualize freaking plants and animals? God damn.