Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
There's something about the first-person view that makes me super uncomfortable, and it's not even just if you're supposed to be the self-insert guy ogling women, but even otome games where you're the self-insert woman being chased by men. In the case of the latter, it's always cheesy, weird, and off-putting. In the case of the former, it feels creepy and lecherous. In games that have any sort of romance feature, I much prefer it to be third-person, where you see your character on screen so the romance candidates aren't talking to "you" but rather to your character. But that may just be a personal preference lol.
I am right there with you. The game clearly put a lot of work into the woman's animations to make it "cute" and the first person view made it way more personal than I was comfortable feeling. I like that barrier to exist.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
There's something about the first-person view that makes me super uncomfortable, and it's not even just if you're supposed to be the self-insert guy ogling women, but even otome games where you're the self-insert woman being chased by men. In the case of the latter, it's always cheesy, weird, and off-putting. In the case of the former, it feels creepy and lecherous. In games that have any sort of romance feature, I much prefer it to be third-person, where you see your character on screen so the romance candidates aren't talking to "you" but rather to your character. But that may just be a personal preference lol.

Yeah I saw that moment and I felt uncomfortable too because at that point I'm like how old is the MC? How did he get this job w/o any kind of exp? Why are there so many girls? Also, the idea that as a "Captain" he should date girls who work for him despite it sounded extremely sketchy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I saw that moment and I felt uncomfortable too because at that point I'm like how old is the MC? How did he get this job w/o any kind of exp? Why are there so many girls? Also, the idea that as a "Captain" he should date girls who work for him despite it sounded extremely sketchy.

Nothing says healthy relationship like a person in a position of authority dating their subordinates.

Lookin' at you here, Byleth… :X

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
In this case you know exactly what they're doing because most of that game is 3rd person (if it's the one I'm thinking about which I tried out for a few hours).

Other VNs are first person (usually) probably just because they ultimately descend from old PC graphic adventure games which were probably always first person to spare the precious processing power that would be needed to render a 3rd person avatar. Or maybe it was some other reason. In any case in VNs it morphed into something more voyeuristic probably when eroge took over the market.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Ah man Sakura Wars (2019) was my first in the series and it was so extremely cringey. The animations and camera angles especially I hated. I forced myself through it and found very little redeemable about it. If you don't like the first few hours, it does not get better.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
New XCOM mobile game seems to REALLY want that gacha audience.

xM4fYTj.png
Klwd4fk.png

Xcom-legends-google-play-store-screenshots-696x442.jpg

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I already didn't like the Xcom 2 artstyle, but this isn't just titillating it also looks like complete garbage.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
You not into anime girls cosplaying as realistic naval ships?
I'm not sure I would describe mecha musume as having ultra realistic weapons.

When it started out I thought a Anime like game without a character that shows me her thighs welcome surprise, but towards the end you see a few more characters who hate to cover up their legs.
I believe those are alternate costumes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCgERUZPz-8 The blonde with bare thighs is OTs-14, who is by default in a combat-suit looking costume, though much too tight. Most of the default costumes seem to have similar design philosophy.

Nov 19, 2019
I get this entirely. It's handled with a somewhat lighter touch, but I definitely noticed every time FF7R did this, and I didn't like it there either. The intention is clear.

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy
Nothing says healthy relationship like a person in a position of authority dating their subordinates.

Lookin' at you here, Byleth… :X

Which is why Jeritza, Seteth, Manuela and Hanneman are the correct choices.
(Alois is already happily married, Catherine and Shamir belong to each other, Gilbert is a PoS who doesn't deserve happiness and Rhea... well let's just say that if you have to ask yourself "would this be incest?" it may be a good idea to play it safe and avoid it.
Also, why isn't Anna marriable? It would have added another 100% not creepy option. You had ONE JOB IS!!!)

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
(Alois is already happily married, Catherine and Shamir belong to each other, Gilbert is a PoS who doesn't deserve happiness and Rhea... well let's just say that if you have to ask yourself "would this be incest?" it may be a good idea to play it safe and avoid it.
Also, why isn't Anna marriable? It would have added another 100% not creepy option. You had ONE JOB IS!!!)
I know this may be not the thread but at least TH doesn't come close to the level of possible incest in Fates

You have the pseudo-incest by being able to marry any of your 8 siblings, then due to the way the child system works and that all the Royal Sisters can marry anyone who has a kid makes it so that everyone can be your nephew/niece while still being able to marry them

Then you get real incest with Azura who is revealed by a throwaway line to be your cousin (also means that marrying her Shigure is also incest)

And finally the 4 kids of the Royal Brothers (and Shigure if you have Azura marry any of them) can also marry their cousins if the mother of any Gen 2 girl is one of the Royal Sisters

Last edited:

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy
I know this may be not the thread but at least TH doesn't come close to the level of possible incest in Fates

You have the step siblings incest by being able to marry any of your 8 siblings, then due to the way the child system works and that all the Royal Sisters can marry anyone who has a kid makes it so that everyone can be your nephew/niece while still being able to still marry them

Then you get real incest with Azura who is revealed by a throwaway line to be your cousin (also means that marrying Shigure is also incest)

And finnaly it means that the 4 kids of the Royal Brothers (and Shigure if you have Azura marry any of them) can also marry their cousins

Fates is really a mess, but we already knew that. Honestly in my opinion, marrying Hinoka, Takumi, Sakura, or Ryoma is not that bad. You didn't grow up with them and they are not related to you by blood at all.
Marrying Azura is incest, so yeah, that's fucked up, and the Camilla, Leo, Xander and Elise... well at least they aren't really related to you, but you still grew up thinking they were, so I dunno.

It might be legal, because no blood-relation, but it's still too weird and creepy. And about the incest with the second gen sheananigans... yeah, that was also possible in Awakening (and Genealogy/Thracia lol) depending on who you pair-up with who to make the babies, and honestly I want to think it was an accident. Like, they didn't think hard enough about it to realize it could happen. But at the same time, this is Fire Emblem, a series infamous for playing fast and loose with both pesudo-incest and actual incest, so maybe I shouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
This also applies to Seteth and Flayn.

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy
This also applies to Seteth and Flayn.

Eeeh, kinda. But if we start to take "Children of the Goddess" too literally as in Rhea, Cichol, Indech, Macuil and Flayn's mom were all siblings, than it starts to become a little too weird and the poor Nabateans are doomed because of in-breeding. So it is better to just assume that "Children of the Goddess" is not literal since we don't know for a fact what's the truth there.

But we do know for a fact that our mother was Rhea's daughter. We don't know if she was biologically related to her or not (they didn't go into detail on how homunculi work), but she was still a mother figure for our biological mother, and Rhea is aware of it, which is kind of skeevy.

And depending on how you interpret Sothis (Rhea's freaking mom) becoming one with you, it becomes even more skeevy.

Quite a different situation compared to Seteth and Flayn maybe being our second/third cousins IF they actually are blood related to Rhea.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Fates is really a mess, but we already knew that. Honestly in my opinion, marrying Hinoka, Takumi, Sakura, or Ryoma is not that bad. You didn't grow up with them and they are not related to you by blood at all.
Marrying Azura is incest, so yeah, that's fucked up, and the Camilla, Leo, Xander and Elise... well at least they aren't really related to you, but you still grew up thinking they were, so I dunno.

It might be legal, because no blood-relation, but it's still too weird and creepy. And about the incest with the second gen sheananigans... yeah, that was also possible in Awakening (and Genealogy/Thracia lol) depending on who you pair-up with who to make the babies, and honestly I want to think it was an accident. Like, they didn't think hard enough about it to realize it could happen. But at the same time, this is Fire Emblem, a series infamous for playing fast and loose with both pesudo-incest and actual incest, so maybe I shouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt.
The joke about your Hoshidan 'sibling's is that you only learn this either by marrying one of them or by playing Revelations. Otherwise, the story in both Birhtright and Conquest continue pretending that they are your real siblings. So yeah, in a way you, are marrying your biological sibling unless someone spoiled you or you read it somewhere else.

And the only mention of Azura being Corrin's cousin is in Revelations, the DLC route.

Agree about the Nohr siblings. It is way too weird to marrying people you grew up with and treated you like their brother/sister.

For me worse is that Fire Emblem continues letting the player marry the child character. Take Fates, for example, we have Sakura, Elise, Mozu and Hayato. Nyx is even more terrible because she is the classic adult in the body of a child and with a terrible outfit. This shit is awful. Although a little better in Three Houses, you can still have Byleth marry Flayn, who is still like a child. Or Sothis...

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy
The joke about your Hoshidan 'sibling's is that you only learn this either by marrying one of them or by playing Revelations. Otherwise, the story in both Birhtright and Conquest continue pretending that they are your real siblings. So yeah, in a way you, are marrying your biological sibling unless someone spoiled you or you read it somewhere else. And the only mention of Azura being Corrin's cousin is in Revelations, the DLC route.

As I said, Fates' an absolute mess. Imagine chossing to marry Hinoka BECAUSE she is your sister (because you are weird like that) and the day of the wedding you are hit with the revelation that you are not siblings at all. And there are no words to describe how sad, disappointed and betrayed you feel.

Only in Fates.

But idk if this is really on-topic for the thread? I guess that fetishizing incest is a kind of sexualization, and the main victim in both Fates and Three Houses are women (Azura and Rhea), so maybe it is on topic. I'm not sure.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
The joke about your Hoshidan 'sibling's is that you only learn this either by marrying one of them or by playing Revelations. Otherwise, the story in both Birhtright and Conquest continue pretending that they are your real siblings. So yeah, in a way you, are marrying your biological sibling unless someone spoiled you or you read it somewhere else. And the only mention of Azura being Corrin's cousin is in Revelations, the DLC route.

I always end up getting married to a unit that has roughly the same movement range as my player unit, and is melee class so I can use them as a meat shield. This apparently makes all the ladies hot and bothered.

Videogames have clearly mastered the intricacies of gamifying romance.

Anime Aloy

Not 100% confirm but could be a promo for the both the sequel and PSN link up.

Other official art of new characters

Pretty intimating character in the story so far.

Not seen her in the story yet but she doesn't hold back when it comes to fighting or dealing with people. Some label her as the second in command lesbian trope.

One of the resistance member fighting the Shogun. Very idol like character.

ImNotAFroot

Nov 6, 2017
Aloy doesn't even look like her, she even has the tropey sexy female archer pose going on, they didn't even use the same artstyle on her, hell even the other revealed Inazuma characters look better, truly dissapointing.

That pose is pretty bad...
But the design itself could be much worse. The Genshin Impact artstyle doesn't lend itself well to characters like Aloy, so I truly believe she wouldn't have looked much like herself no matter what.

LMAO! Well at least they didn't hire the creepy "perfect fake teeth smile" fan.
I have a gut feeling that Sony/Guerrilla Games had talks with mihoyo on how much they can design her and still give the team freedom of their own take.

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy
Why did I check out people's reaction on Twitter? Why did I even open Twitter?
I need eye-bleach after reading a bunch of people calling Genshin Impact ruined now, and saying they will uninstall the game. For a fun little collab. A fun little optional collab with Horizon is ground for uninstalling over literally any other issue with the game. Why are gamers like this?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I need eye-bleach after reading a bunch of people calling Genshin Impact ruined now, and saying they will uninstall the game. For a fun little collab. A fun little optional collab with Horizon is ground for uninstalling over literally any other issue with the game. Why are gamers like this?
Where did you see reactions like that? I was checking that tweet above for Aloy and saw nothing like that. A lot of people confused at this crossover or clarifying where the character came from.

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy
Where did you see reactions like that? I was checking that tweet above for Aloy and saw nothing like that. A lot of people confused at this crossover or clarifying where the character came from.
Weird I checked the same tweet and some people were saying that she didn't fit the style of the game at all, others were completely against crossovers, some guy complained about her eyebrows (??????) and I saw a few uninstallers. There were a good chunk of people explaining who Aloy was but even some of them were like "I can't believe half the comments are so negative". I have to admit, the people being confused and not knowing Aloy outnumbered the whiny babies, but the whiny babies hirked me to no end.

EDIT: However, consider that since I never use Twitter, I also never blocked anyone. Some of the grosser comments might have been from people you have blocked.

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy
Recommend reading through this Twitter thread

On one hand I respect the guy for what he did. We always need people to push back against the status quo and all kinds of discrimination.
On the other hand I am now worried about future Insomniac project. Since he left the company will other people be brave enough to stand for what's right or will the company naturally attract more people like that game director and art director?

Only time will tell.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
That Aloy design for Genshin Impact.
bbu03dO.gif

Sony and Guerilla why.

Edit: Time to draw attention to how nice some of the covers for the comic were during the first arc.
d9EuDQM.jpg

D6X7a0v.png

Not "anime" style but still cartoonish.

Last edited:

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Today's not been a good day for the well designed women in Sony games.

Someone needs to check in on Last of Us and make sure we're not about to get a bikini volleyball spinoff or something.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Classic school playground banter!
"Eww! A girl likes playing Zelda games? I'm never playing Zelda again. Zelda's for babies!"

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home