• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite FF released in the last decade

• Final Fantasy XIII (trilogy)

Votes: 110 13.2%
  • Final Fantasy XIV

Votes: 366 43.9%
  • Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 221 26.5%
  • World of Final Fantasy

Votes: 58 7.0%
  • Final Fantasy Type-0

Votes: 10 1.2%
  • Dissidia Final Fantasy NT

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 7.6%

• Total voters

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't really been into FF in the last decade. Only two I played were XIII & XV.

XV was fine. It had some hiccups but it was enjoyable. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
This thread and poll seems to be split among "people who have played XIV" and "people who have not" lol.

Theatrhythm was a great game too though. I even bought all the DLC.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII

A distinctive and versatile soundtrack. The ambition in the world & plot. The innovative battle system. The varied cast. The impeccable art design with a unique style.

The rest lack all of the above

A shame about the shite level design but oh well.

Note : I have not played FFXIV

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've tried to get into FF games over the years and FFXIII is the only one that really clicked with me. It's Lightning, the battle system and the gameplay that really stood out. I think all of the FF stories are filled with predictable, cliches and tropes since FFVII, so I don't take any of the cast and main story seriously. However, there's something about Lightning wanting to save her sister that pulled me along and made me feel interested in what was happening in the story.

Played FFXV, and boy that was disappointing. That one part of the game, Chapter...13? It's not that it ruins the game, it feels so out of place and just keeps going, while all the other chapters move along at a quick pace. I played FFXV at the beginning of this year, so this is when all the added content and cutscenes were present. It's still an incomplete game to me. There's a lot of things that just feel missing or don't make sense. The villain responsible for what happens to the King early on just disappears from the story and you never even meet or fight him. It seems like Square just wanted to keep the beautiful cutscenes in, but it actually makes things dumb and confusing, because plot points are missing. Also, near the end:
Post-time skip, your bros are still wearing similar clothes in the future. Like....they waited all those years (10?) for Noctis to return, but kept their black jeans and shirts intact? It's dumb.
The only redeemable part of that game for me was the road trip design, and the main cast of characters, particularly the bubbly Cindy and badass Aranea. It's a shame Aranea wasn't utilized more in the game, she's fun.

Lastly, Type-0 has some cool ideas with tag teaming and pairing up weapons with specific characters. It's like if Warriors Orochi was a FF game at times. Unfortunately, I really hated the final level design and main boss. It's my least fav FF game.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I played FFXIV:ARR when it came out. It's probably the right answer, but I like the nostalgic charm of World of Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy XV is a good game, but I'll take what I expect and get from a side game as opposed to it.

Although I played it at launch and don't know how much my opinion might change if I replayed it will all of the updates and new content.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
XIV by a mile. I actually like XV a lot, it's probably a top 5 Final Fantasy for me, but XIV is my favourite FF and one of my favourite games of all time.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
XIV
XIII-2
XV
I'll say, in that order.

-XIV is just an incredible online experience that has continually improved and is driven by a fun and passionate staff.
-I'm a fan of the XIII trilogy as a whole, but man, XIII-2 just puts in so much work. Amazing soundtrack, perfect honing of XIII's combat system. Amusingly batshit story. I just love this particular entry a whole bunch. Also one of the only games I can speedrun.
-XV is just a miracle to have come together, and despite its flaws, I find so much about the game's flow and the setting irresistible.

Last edited:

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Chocobo's Dungeon Wii.

Yes, it released in 2007 but the only recent game I played that was on that poll was FFXIII, which was... bad.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFXII TZA was the best FF release this decade, but if it doesn't count I'll go with FFXIV because the rest was crap.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
14 and 15 are the only ones I've played for more than an hour. 14 was before the expansions, and just felt like a poor WoW clone at the time. I enjoyed 15 enough to get the Platinum.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
If everyone else played 14, then it would be 14 landslide.

Hell, there's even an argument to be made that 14 is one of the best FF games.

Night Terror

Feb 1, 2018
Nope, so it covers that portion?

Yep.

This didn't excuse bad writing in the Star Wars prequels (it makes sense if you read the novelization!) and it doesn't in FFXV either. You shouldn't be required to do homework in order to enjoy a piece of fiction.

No one defended anything, although after reading how the transition from Nomura to Tabata was I can't really think of a better outcome.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. I don't like MMOs at all. Tried XIV and the slow, clunky combat, the ugly graphics and the UI made me quit after pushing on for a while.

Yeah, and i just hate the crowded feel of MMOs, tons of npc's and players crowded together with tons of buffs and text everywhere. Players who cant sit still for 2 seconds and have to run and jump and crouch up and down constantly, shit drives me crazy.

Its so fundamentally different from the immersive single player games i want. Im glad other people like it and it makes SE alot of money though.

Oct 25, 2017
XIV by far.
Though there have been a number of good spinoffs too.
World of Final Fantasy was great, and I quite enjoyed 4 Heroes of Light.
The XIII trilogy, XV, and Type-0 were fun too, but not as good.
I liked Theatrhythm too, but I wish the arcade version would get ported to consoles.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
15 which was an incomplete game and story at least at RTM. So that speaks volumes about the others lower on the list. Up until 12 the final fantasy games alternated between great and good. And now its God awful, awful, barely passable.

Oct 25, 2017
It's Final Fantasy Explorers. I want a sequel so badly.

Only FF game I haven't completed. Barely any story and I got to a point where new missions stopped unlocking and I didn't know what to do.
Would probably be a lot better with friends.

There was a sequel on mobile that was only live for a year before shutting down. Explorers-Force. Looked pretty good for a mobile game.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately this is like choosing the best from a group of losers. I really hope the next decade of Final Fantasy looks a lot better.

XIV by far is the only standout from this list, assuming we're not talking about the original awful release.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
This is also a good choice though.

Edit: looking over this thread I'm amending my choice to Duodecim. I didn't realize that was this decade still. Amazing game and it's shameful how awful and slow NT is in comparison.

Last edited:

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
huh I thought I would be in the minority with ff14. yeah its a game thats doing well, but its a mmo which I thought would have pushed a lot of people on here away.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
FFXIV, specifically Heavensward has given me the biggest nostalgia trips and best combos of "the old with the new" that I can think of.

FFXIV even in its lowest points (Not a fan of Stormbloods areas but the story wasn't terrible, aside from Lyse being insufferable) has been a godsend for me as an old school FF fan kinda tired of the chasing of action combat and scifi stuff in XIII 1-3, the disappointment of Dissida NT, and 15 specifically.

XIV may have some growing pains as an MMO, but Yoshi-P has ALWAYS cared about the game, its players, and Final Fantasy in general, and it shows.

FFXIV Heavensward. It's so good I made it into my top 5 of the entire franchise ---- others being FFT, FFIX, FFVI & FFCC.
-highfive- Can't wait to see what the HW team is working on now.

huh I thought I would be in the minority with ff14. yeah its a game thats doing well, but its a mmo which I thought would have pushed a lot of people on here away.
It's an MMO for sure, but with its heavy emphasis on story, a good balance of fanservice to the old games like the Kefka fight and other things, it's a great experience for even classic FF fans. It's not quite action but not quite turn based, but still allows for strategy and they're constantly adjusting the classes to be more fun for players (there's always going to be missteps here and there).

The story alone minus a few hiccups puts it solidly next to a lot of the other FFs, and the world its managed to create since its launch has won it a lot of good will I think.

I've only played about 15 hours of XIV. Just....tough to find time. Seeing it do so well here though makes me think I should try to find a way to fit it in.
If you or anyone else is on Crystal Data Center (I got moved because I'm on Mateus after the change) I'm down for helping with quests/dungeons/etc if you need help!

XIV, I guess. I'm not a huge on MMOs, but it was pretty fun and the rest listed in the poll are.. Bad.

Shame I never got to Heavensward content, though. I'm really interested in its story, but got sick of the grind way before I was even done with ARR quests.
Understandable. Getting to HW was...tough when I was first starting out, but when I think about the fact that they basically launched a second MMO while working on the original 1.0 of FFXIV I give it a bit of a pass. They really find their stride at HW and on. The cliffhangers and stuff going into that expansion were legendary.

Last edited:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm intrigued by XIV but not enough to pay a subscription fee.
Free right now to level 35, and I believe for PC there's a promotion where you can get HW for free with like Amazon Prime or something.

Even if you get a jump potion and start at HW you're still in for some of the coolest story stuff FF has had in a while.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
none. haven't completed FF13 because i fell asleep at least 6x while attempting to complete it. And my save game is right before the last 'dungeon' (if you can call it that).

I have FF15 physical still left unplayed and just can't find the drive to start it.

:(

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFXIV, specifically Heavensward has given me the biggest nostalgia trips and best combos of "the old with the new" that I can think of.

FFXIV even in its lowest points (Not a fan of Stormbloods areas but the story wasn't terrible, aside from Lyse being insufferable) has been a godsend for me as an old school FF fan kinda tired of the chasing of action combat and scifi stuff in XIII 1-3, the disappointment of Dissida NT, and 15 specifically.

XIV may have some growing pains as an MMO, but Yoshi-P has ALWAYS cared about the game, its players, and Final Fantasy in general, and it shows.

-highfive- Can't wait to see what the HW team is working on now.

It's an MMO for sure, but with its heavy emphasis on story, a good balance of fanservice to the old games like the Kefka fight and other things, it's a great experience for even classic FF fans. It's not quite action but not quite turn based, but still allows for strategy and they're constantly adjusting the classes to be more fun for players (there's always going to be missteps here and there).

The story alone minus a few hiccups puts it solidly next to a lot of the other FFs, and the world its managed to create since its launch has won it a lot of good will I think.

If you or anyone else is on Crystal Data Center (I got moved because I'm on Mateus after the change) I'm down for helping with quests/dungeons/etc if you need help!

Understandable. Getting to HW was...tough when I was first starting out, but when I think about the fact that they basically launched a second MMO while working on the original 1.0 of FFXIV I give it a bit of a pass. They really find their stride at HW and on. The cliffhangers and stuff going into that expansion were legendary.
ff14 has to have the wildest dev story in video game history. for those that havent seen it. ff14 is my favrite ff game, and exuding crono trigger, might be my favrite square game.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
ff14 has to have the wildest dev story in video game history. for those that havent seen it. ff14 is my favrite ff game, and exuding crono trigger, might be my favrite square game.

Yeah every time I find out more about Yoshi-P I am baffled at how that team was able to pull that game from the brink. I know they had the backing of Square invested in them but he had to have some balls to basically give them an ultimatum like he did.

"Look we can nuke the whole game or we can try to save this dumpster fire, but that's it."

I respect Yoshi-P somehow managing to work on organizing the team to provide updates for FFXIV 1.0 AND organize ARR at the same time. I'd like to think that won him some clout/pull in Square moving forward.

I'm always a fan of when passionate people are clearly driving forces behind their games and help their teams and such. When I see interviews with like Nintendo devs, Taro, Cory Barlog, etc it's nice because they're clearly passionate about their field.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah every time I find out more about Yoshi-P I am baffled at how that team was able to pull that game from the brink. I know they had the backing of Square invested in them but he had to have some balls to basically give them an ultimatum like he did.

"Look we can nuke the whole game or we can try to save this dumpster fire, but that's it."

I respect Yoshi-P somehow managing to work on organizing the team to provide updates for FFXIV 1.0 AND organize ARR at the same time. I'd like to think that won him some clout/pull in Square moving forward.

I'm always a fan of when passionate people are clearly driving forces behind their games and help their teams and such. When I see interviews with like Nintendo devs, Taro, Cory Barlog, etc it's nice because they're clearly passionate about their field.
there are roumers going around that after shadowbringers launch, he is going to be given the lead for ff16. on one hand, good for him he deserves it. on the other hand, as a ff14 player, that makes me scared for ff14s future.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
there are roumers going around that after shadowbringers launch, he is going to be given the lead for ff16. on one hand, good for him he deserves it. on the other hand, as a ff14 player, that makes me scared for ff14s future.
There's been mixed news on that. A lot of it has to do with the rumors of the Heavensward team working on a new project and that posting of Yoshi-P "being a producer of a new HD title" or something. I dare to dream of a singleplayer game with the HW team writing and Yoshi producing.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Only FF game I haven't completed. Barely any story and I got to a point where new missions stopped unlocking and I didn't know what to do.
Would probably be a lot better with friends.

There was a sequel on mobile that was only live for a year before shutting down. Explorers-Force. Looked pretty good for a mobile game.
Yeah that's why I liked the game is because it focused on gameplay instead of story. Never really liked any attempts at at ff stories. Explorers felt like Phantasy Star Online in a lot of ways.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
FFXIV is a good MMO, the single player games on this list are all horrible in comparison to what the series used to be.