• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite FF released in the last decade

• Final Fantasy XIII (trilogy)

Votes: 110 13.2%
  • Final Fantasy XIV

Votes: 366 43.9%
  • Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 221 26.5%
  • World of Final Fantasy

Votes: 58 7.0%
  • Final Fantasy Type-0

Votes: 10 1.2%
  • Dissidia Final Fantasy NT

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 7.6%

• Total voters

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
The only good FF games of the last decade (sadly) are

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
FFXIV
World Of Final Fantasy (just because it was so different/weird)
and I guess FFXV, kind of, but not really. It's OK.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV is straight up one of the best games I've ever played.
Ignoring the typical MMO hooks, it's got a stack of content and the story is top tier. It also has a ridiculous amount of orchestral music.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Theatrhythm: Curtain Call is the only one I've really enjoyed of the ones I've played. Probably the only FF game I've been really engaged with since XII in 2006.

XIII I was incredibly disappointed with, and the less said about FF Explorers the better.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Order of elimination, Final Fantasy XIII-2

Some cool music, Serah and Noel aren't unpleasant, some nice set pieces like riding a beast in Sunleth, weather machines in Pulse and amusing alternate endings. It's the best of the single player bunch.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Dissidia NT over Duodecim!? Come on now.

Duodecim and Theatrhythm are probably my favorites. Out of the more "traditional" RPG experiences, FFXV was the most fun.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
1. Theatrhythm
2. FFXIV
3. World of Final Fantasy

There were no other good FF games in the last decade.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
XIV is miles above everything else in that list, so clearly that. Heavensward, especially. XIV is a top 3 FF game to me at this point, with VI and IX.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
They're all pretty bad. Final Fantasy XIII felt like following a movie rather than playing a game and XIII-2 was better gameplaywise although everything else was bad. I tried Lightning Returns-demo, but never purchased the full game because I wasn't really impressed after two letdowns.

Final Fantasy XV on the other hand was extremely dull experience with extremely empty world. Only great thing was banter between party members in many different situations. If they only put effort for other things as well...

Never played others.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's a shame that FF XIV is one of the best Final Fantasy games ever and it's also the one that a ton of people are never going to play.

JJ!

Dec 18, 2017
FFXIV by a mile. It's honestly top 5 favorite final fantasy games for me at this point.

JJ!

Dec 18, 2017
I voted for XV because I love that game but I've never even touched XIV. What's the best way to get into that game?
There's a free trial the let's you play all classes up to level 35 at the moment. Best way to get in the game. Try out all the classes and see what you like :D. And don't be too discouraged by all the expacs that have released. Just take your time and enjoy the game. No rush

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played XIV so I can't say that, but the rest of those is such a sad collection I answered none.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lol FFXIV is like none of those games what do you mean? It plays and looks nothing like them. It's a mmorpg that has more in common with other MMORPGs than any other FF game (apart from FFXI)

Are you serious? XIV has the same damn character designer as FFXII and Tactics, most Empire Designs are taken straight from FFVI. Many of its locales are taken from previous FF games - It looks absolutely like an FF-Game. What is this even?

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Among those... I suppose World? I still haven't played XV. XIII is awful and XIV is WoW with a FF skin and generally a lot of terrible mechanics piled together.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Final Fantasy XIII had an amazing soundtrack, a fun battle system, I thought the lore was interesting once you got past the l'cie/fal'cie/etc. terminology, the dynamic between the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon was interesting, and there was some great characters like Sazh, and Vanille and Fang's dynamic, in it.

I had fun with FFXV and the boys, but I don't think the elements were as anywhere near as holistic as my enjoyment of XIII.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
XIV, I guess. I'm not a huge on MMOs, but it was pretty fun and the rest listed in the poll are.. Bad.

Shame I never got to Heavensward content, though. I'm really interested in its story, but got sick of the grind way before I was even done with ARR quests.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV is one of my favourite FFs in general, nevermind just from the past decade. Theatrhythm: Curtain Call is pretty great as well.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only not completely horrible FF released in the last decade was FFXIV and they had to make that game twice. I trust Square to make another decent mainline FF about as much as I trust Bioware, which is to say not at all.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Theatrhythm Curtain Call. I spent so much on DLC. 😓

Man, I really want SE and indieszero to port the arcade game to Switch.

Nurovek

Dec 26, 2018
France
Does Crisis Core count as last decade ?

If so, I'd like to cancel my default FFXV vote (I'm a big Action-RPG guy, even if the game was rather disappointing).

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
From this list, World and XIV have to be the front runners. Unfortunately Square-Enix have struggled to make a truly great Final Fantasy game since X. Some of these releases have been OK, but nothing compared to that golden era of VI - IX.

Fortunately the gap in the market that Final Fantasy used to fill is wide open, which is prime for games like Persona or Dragon Quest to finally step up and universally cement themselves as the new king of JRPG's.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Lol FFXIV is like none of those games what do you mean? It plays and looks nothing like them. It's a mmorpg that has more in common with other MMORPGs than any other FF game (apart from FFXI)
It plays similarly to WoW, but its themes, storytelling, lore, and the gameplay systems on top of it are all very reminiscent of older games. I think anyone who has played FF3-6 could tell that Yoshi-P is a huge fan of those games, lifting a lot of design elements and gameplay systems directly from them. For example, some of the biggest additions introduced in A Realm Reborn, the first full release since he took over as director, was adding the Summoner and Scholar jobs and Crystal Tower raid, all lifted directly from FF3. Having a lot of key staff from Ivalice games also gives it that kind of "fantasy political drama" feel to it. The history and worldbuilding of Hydaelyn feels more tonally similar to Tactics/XII too than WoW, other MMOs, or other FF games.

As for playing alike, besides both being MMOs, WoW and FF11 really aren't very similar at all, which is probably why a lot of people still prefer FF11 over FF14. Most MMOs since WoW play kinda like WoW, including FF14. FF11 is from a different time.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
It plays similarly to WoW, but its themes, storytelling, lore, and the gameplay systems on top of it are all very reminiscent of older games. I think anyone who has played FF3-6 could tell that Yoshi-P is a huge fan of those games, lifting a lot of design elements and gameplay systems directly from them. For example, some of the biggest additions introduced in A Realm Reborn, the first full release since he took over as director, was adding the Summoner and Scholar jobs and Crystal Tower raid, all lifted directly from FF3. Having a lot of key staff from Ivalice games also gives it that kind of "fantasy political drama" feel to it. The history and worldbuilding of Hydaelyn feels more tonally similar to Tactics/XII too than WoW, other MMOs, or other FF games.

As for playing alike, besides both being MMOs, WoW and FF11 really aren't very similar at all, which is probably why a lot of people still prefer FF11 over FF14. Most MMOs since WoW play kinda like WoW, including FF14. FF11 is from a different time.
Well said. If you are not voting XIV is cause you never played it, especially Heavensward.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought 13 and 13-2 were fun, even if very different and often barely RPGs. 14 (didn't play expansions though), 15 and WoFF were OK. Type-0 was not worth a playthrough.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
A favorite from that list?...I'd have to say none of the above. Although I haven't played through all the FF XIII games yet.