Oct 28, 2017
Action Man: Mission Xtreme.

I bring this up regularly in threads like this and nobody ever responds to it which makes me assume nobody else has played it which makes me sad. It's the epitome of surprisingly good.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
sony-playstation-jurassic-park-warpath.jpg

This game's amazing! The gas station, the boat. <3
This game is the reason I bought a PSOne! Not the best fighter ever, but the animations and graphics were amazing for the time!

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
ps1-futurecoplapd-front.jpg

Future Cop: LAPD was the last and best of EA's Strike series of top-down vehicle-action games. Just a great fast-paced mech shooter, with co-op through the whole story mode and a cool action-strategy competitive mode that was almost an early MOBA.
I loved this one, played it from a demo disc for hours with my sis!
I'd like to add IQ, Kula World, and Rollcage (it isn't obscure but didn't compete with the big guys).
And I'd propose "Gregory's horror show", which apparently was super innovative but didn't get to play.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Bushido Blade, baby!
3.gif
I have like at least 500 hours in this game, this was going to be my answer.

It never gets old. I love bringing a setup to fighting game tournaments and holding small side events with it. This game is so goddamn hype and quick and easy to learn, but oh so hard to master. It's a shame it wasn't a gigantic smash hit.

Oyashiro-Sama

Oct 27, 2017

legend-of-legaia-cover.jpg

Long live the king.

Honestly I always thought this game was pretty popular, but I still run into tons of people who love PlayStation RPGs and have never even heard of it.

Legend of Legaia. That game had some insane combos.

latest

I echo this!

I looked it up... Oh my god, I can't believe this. The case is thick and it is designed to hold multiple disks but there's only one disk... I thought I could never beat this game due to this (we got stuck in the forest area after you go to that monastery anyway.)

Wow...

4d7ea8027b524_202481b.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Yeah, The manual was to thick to fit in a regular case.

HONDA

Oct 27, 2017
!!e!VU1!CWM~$(KGrHqQOKpcE0U4tVw4uBNP4S53Sl!~~_1.JPG

not sure how well this game aged but loved it as a teen.
BIg cool if this was PS's kart racing franchise instead of Mod Nation Racer

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kartia (an Atlus SRPG by a couple of OG SMT devs with Amano art)

!!e!Tf(gCWM~$(KGrHqIOKpsE0VCmBnI3BNP1yNiNig~~_35.JPG

Vanguard Bandits
(another SRPG, this time with mecha knights)

images

Thousand Arms

images

Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf

Sheep_Dog_n_Wolf.jpg

And a billion others I'm blanking on. The PS1 library is bursting with weird gems.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Oh, man this thread. Im feeling so nostalgic right now. A lot of great games mentioned here.
My picks, im sure there is more but i cant remember now
256px-Grinch_video_game_cover.jpg

61IW71WT3DL._SX342_.jpg

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing a lot of games mentioned here that I absolutely loved, and still own.

Legend of Kartia
Trap Gunner
Crisis Beat
Fighting Force
Intelligent Qube
Vandal Hearts
Legend of Legaia
Blast Chamber (one of the first games I owned)
Silent Bomber
Bust A Groove
Return Fire
Gekido
Vandal Hearts

And I'll add this one to that list:

Trash It!
1391590-cover.jpg

Edit: Also seeing games that I should add to my list, so thanks! :)

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
220px-Blood_Omen_-_Legacy_of_Kain_Coverart.png

Overshadowed by Soul Reaver, this, in my opinion, is the best game out of the 5 titles. Fun combat with a ton of variety. Amazing dialogue and self contained story. Top notch voice acting. It was challenging, but nothing incredibly unfair. In fact I think it's the only game I would consider challenging outside the block puzzles in SR1.

The game is pretty much Zelda: A Link to the Past, but with vampires. I can't fawn over this game enough. Highly recommend it. Preferably on a handheld like PSP or Vita.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
61XJ3hlN-8L._SX342_.jpg

Laughing at that quote though. On par with "Is Dark Cloud a Zelda killer?"

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Spider: The Video Game is the first that comes to mind.

There's an absurd amount of underrated, obscure games on the system and it makes me nostalgic as heck. The weird attempts at making sense out of 3D graphics and gameplay are fascinatingly charming to me.

Blood omen:Legacy of Kain was literally my favourite game for four or five years. I played that game to death. The rest of the series was really well received but the first game got mediocre reviews.

I was also a big fan of Colony Wars. I've often wondered why there hasn't been any AAA space combat games the last couple of gens.

Pretty much every adventure and action/adventure game there was. Silverload, Discworld, the Dracula games, TRAG, Overblood, Echo Night... too many to list really. If it was point and click, if it ripped off RE, if it was story and puzzle focused, I was all about it. Still am.

Ok, I'm good now.

Disc World, crazy game.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
This thread perfectly shows why I think the PS1 was such a great console. So many obscure and niche titles got developed for it. Going to the video store and renting a game for the weekend just based on the cover always was quite the adventure. And very often I ended up with a hidden gem. Many of those already got mentioned. The PS2 (and PS2 era as a whole) was pretty much like this too. It's one of the reasons why, at least for me personally, it was a very golden era of gaming.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Y7UcaaV0AgxL0gR6A_hiP46JA4gDGtWR5yVaT5Osvkb_nXM0kp3z12zueToz-2FUs-MMBF-G0p0yeUzgW1TNKkiEqiyZ89hUfBH1rtPQ4iZidJBYq2w4CSR3Uvm42qDjmFmqFy9-ZboQJtQlFvsZTzrP_gpxpcC6MwkudHg=w388-h379-nc

This beauty was two games (an RPG and a fighting game) in one and had playable FFVII characters in one of those two games. Loved the atmosphere of it all for some reason.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah. This is not a good game but it really exemplifies the launch era PS1 for me, for some reason. I got a PS1 six months after launch with 7-8 games (great used deal from a spoiled rich kid) and Loaded was one of them. It always felt like a next-gen Genesis game to me. I still have a copy in my collection.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Wow holy crap.

But yeah, as a fighting game fan, this game was one of the first games I actively watched before it came out as a child. Well one that wasn't a Squaresoft game. While the story isn't so special and a few of the mechanics for obtaining summons is whacky, I enjoyed it and the world.

But yeah there are a ton of interesting games on PS1 that were not smash hits but amazing. This thread/list could be massive

Personally one of the best games that needed more attention is Einhinder Square made a great side scrolling shooter and it sadly kinda failed sales wise. Not gonna lie, and Square Enix can quote me on this, I love this game so much, I buy their games that even have nonsense side easter eggs with it in it. I was sold on World of Final Fantasy when I saw it came with the freaking Einhinder as a pet.

Also Xenogears. Essentially every Squaresoft game not Final Fantasy.

and...
51WFKF2M36L._SX342_.jpg

I love that I own a copy of this. Everyone was churning out mediocre rpgs and this one was too, but damn if I did not give it a shot as a kid. Never beat it, it gets obscure near the middle and need to finish it someday but a lot of reviews suggested the game had a lot of heart and odd charm with its low budgetness.

How this got localized among a massive list of un translated titles is beyond me, but it definitely had something about it.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
NASCAR: Rumble was my motherfucking shit. Ridiculous physics in this game. I'd care about NASCAR if it was like it's represented in this game. This was developed by EA Redwood Shores, who would later become known as Visceral Games of Dead Space fame.

Exg8AOW.jpg

Racing needs more rocket boosters and tornadoes, damn it!

Last edited:

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Colony Wars: Vengeance.
ps1_colony_wars_vengeance-120314.jpg

Use to play this game a lot. The second title was my favorite of the three Colony Wars games.

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
Treasures of the Deep:

An undewater exploration game that is just awesome.

Terracon:

An open world action game that unfortunately was not released in North America.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember Spider being a cool game even though I hate spiders in real life. It flew under the radar probably because people don't like spiders and it had a jumping spider on the cover. ;)

an9T66v.jpg

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hogs of war, I played the absolute hell out of that game on CO Op and single player. It was absolutely brilliant

Ruddles

Oct 17, 2018
Loaded, top-down Gauntlet style game which had an incredible PWEI soundtrack.

Krazy Ivan, a Mech shooter which I looked at a play through on YouTube the other day and thought it looked awful, but for some reason I absolutely loved it!

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, both my picks are already here! Future Cop and Terracon. Two brilliant, vastly underrated titles.

BratmanDu

Mar 27, 2018
Jet_Moto_2_Coverart.png

This might count as a hit, I don't really know. In case it does, here's my choice:

bloody-roar-usa.jpg

Yeaaaa! In Europe this was called Jet Rider, I loved all 3 games of it, I remember it had great music too, and in fact I think one of the music tracks in Jet Rider(Moto) 1 or 2 appeared in Twisted Metal 2 as well, which was weird but cool.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
latest

Not sure if this qualifies or not.

I wasn't sure either because the game was quite popular back then due to the anime's popularity but this would have been my pick as well. If I put the nostalgia goggles aside this game was basically just a 3D tamagotchi game and filled with A LOT of game breaking bugs (Jukebox glitch in the NTSC version or Agumon fortress glitch in the PAL version). But there is something about the world in this game that makes it so interesting and special. Recruiting all Digimon, trying to get a specific evolution (and ultimately failing to do so lol) or simply running around, exploring the world and fight other Digimon.

When I was younger I hated that all my Digimon kept dying or evolving into weak monsters because I didn't know which parameters would give you what Digimon. Once I got access to the internet I looked it up and the game became easier lol. One of my favorite PS1 games for sure.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
220px-LSD_Coverart.png

LSD (Lovely Sweet Dream) : Dream Emulator.

It's a first person game where you just hang out in weird, psychedelic dreams. You have to find some objects in those random dreams, each dream last around 10 minutes. You have 365 nights in order to find all the objects in order to beat the game.
Also, there's a weird man around here sometimes, he's kinda scary he disappear when you walk toward him, but if he touch you the dream will end.

Game was made by Osamu Sato, a japanese artist that is most known for it's music work. He has made this game based on his own dream journal.
Game is exclusive to Japan unfortunately, it was even re-released on the ps3 psn in 2010 in Japan.