8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Does anyone have that weird PS1 game they loved, that wasn't exactly a breakout success (or didn't get a sequel, etc).

For me, there were two games that I absolutely loved, but they just didn't get the traction they deserved (IMO) and are long forgotten by many.

First: Intelligent Qube. I LOVED this game from the second I got to play it on a demo disc. It was fun, interesting, and the puzzles were really cool for me as a kid (well, teenager). I'm insanely excited it's coming to the PS Classic so I can finally relive those memories. Hell, I'd LOVE for this game to get tackled by Enhance Studio and remade similarly to Tetris Effect. Astro Bot has shown me the light that VR and 3rd person can be married together well enough, and IQ would be wonderful in that space...but I digress.

Second: Rogue Trip 2020. Not a lot of people enjoyed this one, I think, but teenage me loved it. It was edgelord to the max, lots of that cringey 90s "attitude", and the soundtrack was phenomenal. I'd take this car combat master piece over Twisted Metal any day of the week. It was just more fun, more interesting, and had the better music (plus the story was absurdly fun).

What games did you love that didn't get the play they deserved? I'm looking for more PS1 games to dig into in anticipation for the PS Classic (as barebones as it may be).

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, and without exaggerating, there are at least 100 games on PS1 that are very obscure and I fucking love. PS1 was THAT good, specially if you are into japanese imports.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Crtical Depth.

Twisted Metal but with submarines. Made by the same dev too. Had some weird mechanics but the game was really engrossing. Great soundtrack too

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I remember having tons of fun with this

poypps0fgyiyo.jpg

I spent so much hours unlocking everything and playing with friends.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
sony-playstation-rally-cross.jpg

I was really hoping this would make its way onto the Classic given that there would be no licensing issues.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like I'm cheating by saying Oddworld Abe's Oddysee because it's popular enough to be on the PS1 classic. It's always been more of a cult classic that never really gets the amount of love that it truly deserves.

Also, this game was dope:
220px-Nasira%27s_Revenge.jpg

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Blaze & Blade (still one of my most played coop-games I assume)
Silent Bomber
Deathtrap Dungeon
Tombi 2
Azure Dreams

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
legend-of-legaia-cover.jpg

Long live the king.

Honestly I always thought this game was pretty popular, but I still run into tons of people who love PlayStation RPGs and have never even heard of it.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Treasures of the Deep
Loaded
That Gunstar Heroes pseudo sequel
Shadow Tower
Eternal Eyes
The Granstream Saga

Lots of solid stuff from Agetec if you can handle a little jank.

I'm trying to recall if Shadow Madness was actually good or not

MrChocolate

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Macross VFX-2
Incredible Crisis
Love&Destroy
Koudelka (I dare you to say it's not obscure)
Grandstream Saga.
Gekido.
Akuji The Heartless.

Those from the top of my head. I don´t think Legend of Legaia is obscure, but it certainly didn´t have a sequel. No, Legaia 2 can suck a rock for all I care.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know how obscure it was but Rollcage should have become more than a one entry thing. I think there was a Kickstarter at one point for a similar playing game but not sure if I am misremembering or what became of it.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Eternal Eyes (SRPG with monster raising elements)

Vanguard Bandits (SRPG filled with medieval Mecha. It also has multiple endings and branching paths)

I doubt Eternal Eyes still holds up, but Vanguard Bandits deserves more recognition.

Both Versions of the main theme are beautiful, but the English version really gets me going.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Kind of nice to hear some people mention Fighting Force and Gekido.

Really enjoyed the 3d beat em up on Ps1 because they were both great solo and local co op games.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
ps1-futurecoplapd-front.jpg

Future Cop: LAPD was the last and best of EA's Strike series of top-down vehicle-action games. Just a great fast-paced mech shooter, with co-op through the whole story mode and a cool action-strategy competitive mode that was almost an early MOBA.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
ps1-futurecoplapd-front.jpg

Future Cop: LAPD was the last and best of EA's Strike series of top-down vehicle-action games. Just a great fast-paced mech shooter, with co-op through the whole story mode and a cool action-strategy competitive mode that was almost an early MOBA.
Why is there a Kampfer there.

Machine Head was a horrible game but I loved it at the time:

s-l300.jpg

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Glad there's already a few posts mentioning No One Can Stop Mr Domino. Definitely in my top 10 favorite games on the system, and Katamari is the only series that has ever captured the same vibe for me