AndrewB

Oct 5, 2018
220px-Apocalypse_starring_Bruce_Willis.jpg

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This thread perfectly shows why I think the PS1 was such a great console. So many obscure and niche titles got developed for it. Going to the video store and renting a game for the weekend just based on the cover always was quite the adventure. And very often I ended up with a hidden gem. Many of those already got mentioned. The PS2 (and PS2 era as a whole) was pretty much like this too. It's one of the reasons why, at least for me personally, it was a very golden era of gaming.
I agree, but I think now the difference is alot of these games might be multi platform if made today. And some digital only.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, but I think now the difference is alot of these games might be multi platform if made today. And some digital only.

Yeah, that's true! The indie developers are definitely carrying this "legacy" now, too. That's where we find a lot of those little and niche / obscure title these days.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's true! The indie developers are definitely carrying this "legacy" now, too. That's where we find a lot of those little and niche / obscure title these days.
In a lot of ways PS1 was the first console platform for indie games, with things like Net Yaroze and Sony opening the floodgates for so many smaller publishers and developers to release expiramental games on the system.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
I don't have any pictures but as a kid I didn't get many videogames but when I did it was ones that were on sale.
One game I enjoyed for a while due to mostly only having that and Rahman was Bug Riders.
It was a kind of racing game where you flew through rings and raced giant flying bugs.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Azure Dreams & SaGa Frontier. Absolutely loved those two, I've replayed them over and over. Sad part is that if SaGa Frontier was ever re-released, we wouldn't be able to use the debug menu to build our dream teams. So emulation would be the best bet. I do still have my PSX with the "Game Hunter" (GameShark knockoff) and fire it up from time to time.

azure-dreams-3.jpg

saga_frontier_wallpaper_by_paperemonga-dbuslc5.png

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
220px-Vandal_Hearts_Coverart.png

Vandal Hearts is a great SRPG, the mechanics are kind of a fusion between Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics, where turns are structured player phase->enemy phase and the class system is relatively simple, but battles take place on an isometric grid with elevation and positioning. The main thing it has going for it is the extremely inventing map design, some of the highlights are a map in a desert with a giant sandworm than changes the landscape as it emerges from the sand, and a battle on a moving train where every few turns the last car is detached from the train.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I still think of Threads of Fate a lot, and Digimon World was and still is something special imo.

Ruken

Oct 29, 2017
Wargames: Defcon 1

It was essentially a pseudo-successor to the Battalian Wars games on Nintendo consoles. You play a single unit, though you'd have multiple to pick from in any level. You could play the NATO or WOPR campaigns which only shared like 1 or 2 levels. The best part was, it had split screen coop throughout the entire campaign, so one could take a ground based vehicle while the other attacks from the air.
Hell yeah, one of the best couch co-op games ever made.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Azure Dreams & SaGa Frontier. Absolutely loved those two, I've replayed them over and over. Sad part is that if SaGa Frontier was ever re-released, we wouldn't be able to use the debug menu to build our dream teams. So emulation would be the best bet. I do still have my PSX with the "Game Hunter" (GameShark knockoff) and fire it up from time to time.

azure-dreams-3.jpg

saga_frontier_wallpaper_by_paperemonga-dbuslc5.png
These two are great mentions
Haha, it's a very underrated SRPG for sure. I would recommend it to any fan of the genre tbh. Shame that the sequel abandoned so much of what made the original great, though the simultaneous turns idea was interesting (though kind of lacking in execution).

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
These two are great mentions

Haha, it's a very underrated SRPG for sure. I would recommend it to any fan of the genre tbh. Shame that the sequel abandoned so much of what made the original great, though the simultaneous turns idea was interesting (though kind of lacking in execution).

I could never get all the way through 2. Love 1 to this day though.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Since Digimon World (best game ever) has already been mentioned I'll say
search

Monsterrancher2cover.jpg

Monster Ranchers 2

If you are into monster training, mixing and raising, stats building und winning tournaments this game is worth your time. You get new monster by inserting old cds and other ps1 games into your ps1, really unique and fun.

Ah and one more game.

The original Oreshika.
I have never played it since its only in Japanese but it's apparently better than Oreshika 2 and I loved 2.

Last edited: