• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I got a number of horrible replies on Twitter when I called someone out for their bigoted response to a CP24 tweet. I saw a lot of people automatically calling this a Islam-influenced terrorist attack and a ton of people tweeting at Justin Trudeau about letting 'them into our country'.

If your first thought during a time like this is with regards to the suspect's colour/religion, you're an asshole. I'm just so upset this happened in Toronto, but I know how this city is - it'll bring us all closer.
I never engage with any of these people on Twitter. I don't want to get dogpiled with hatred and venom. It's sad that they control the discourse in that way.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I feel absolutely sick knowing my wife just missed this and watched it happen. She's stuck down there on lockdown. I feel powerless.
Does she take the TTC? I imagine Sheppard might be a mess. My friend was at the building right near Mel Lastman square and we managed to get out by car easier than we thought. He just kept going west away from Yonge.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
There was that incident with the mentally ill kid in the streetcar who was wielding a knife. He was isolated, alone in the streetcar, and was still gunned down.

Nowhere close to the American rate, but it still happens from time to time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4605021

That cop was at least convicted - of attempted murder though and not murder, even though the kid died. He's up for appeal and I hope he loses, especially after breaching his bail.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Does she take the TTC? I imagine Sheppard might be a mess. My friend was at the building right near Mel Lastman square and we managed to get out by car easier than we thought. He just kept going west away from Yonge.
Thanks for this. She's in her car, so hopefully she'll be able to get out alright.

Deleted member 25709

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
CP24: Mayor Tory, Premier Wynne, and Acting Police Chief speaking at 4:45 EST

Edit: Speaking now.

Last edited:

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The talk about Canadian justice system and retribution makes me realize how American and Conservative (on several subjects) ERA is.

Oh, who am I kidding, prob plenty of Canadians here as well.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never engage with any of these people on Twitter. I don't want to get dogpiled with hatred and venom. It's sad that they control the discourse in that way.
I made the mistake of doing that, waste of time. Those people are hopeless. It also takes away from the attention we should be giving to the victims and those who lost their lives. I love Toronto and this makes me so sad that something like this happened in my city.

Keeng

Nov 1, 2017
I know what casualties means. They said 9 Dead. Like 15 times.

Jesus christ people, just reporting what I heard.

I'd love to be wrong.

Im listening to this shit live on the radio right now and Toronto police just confirmed 9 people dead.

You could provide the radio station so people could hear it for themselves. There's tons of conflicting information in this thread.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
They're literally live showing bodies under tarps on CP24, guys. There is far more than 1 dead. This happened around 1-1:30, there aren't living people still out there covered by tarps.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any examples, I always assumed they were some of the nicest prisons in the world.

Edit: feel free to ignore this, I know its getting off topic.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...-story-of-adam-capay-and-sherman-quisses.html

If you're interested in how bad prisons can get in Canada, read the above and listen to the below.

http://www.michaelspratt.com/poadcast-legal-matters/renu-mandhane

As a Canadian, I'm more concerned that criminals are segregated from society for the duration of their sentence than fantasizing over their punishment, and I would hope that they could be given treatment, education, and undergo rehabilitation in prison rather than be abused and radicalised and released back into my neighbourhood.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What a gruesome event :( I feel especially contemptuous of these van attacks because it's such a dirtbag way of killing people. I don't think your deity will be that impressed...

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...-story-of-adam-capay-and-sherman-quisses.html
If you're interested in how bad prisons can get in Canada, read the above and listen to the below.
I think people just assume, after they hear about how "nice" prisons are in Norway, Finland and Netherlands, out of the false belief of what Canada is like. Canada has never actually truly embraced restorative justice (though the criminal sentencing structure is reasonable, I'd say) , and has never had nice prisons. I mean, it's better than the American counterparts but that's a low bar to set.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

From earlier, 7 patients at Sunnybrook:
Sunnybrook Hospital @Sunnybrook

Following an incident involving a van striking a number of pedestrians in the Yonge and Finch area, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre has received seven patients from the scene in its Trauma Centre: https://sunnybrook.ca/media/item.asp?c=1&i=1730&f=yonge-finch-incident …

3:21 PM - Apr 23, 2018