• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
what was he holding? the way he approached the officer it almost looked like he wanted to commit suicide by cop.
Honestly glad Toronto police is more viligant on pulling trigger. Fuck this guy and let him rot in the depths of hell.

I'm so fucking PISSED. Fuck these motherfuckers. Stay safe Toronto, so upsetting it's happening here now..

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
This is just another one of the benefits of living in Canada. The chances that any civilian has a loaded handgun is extremely low. Through this, the cops were able to be reasonably assured that he either had a fake or it might not be loaded. Even if it is the real deal, they still aren't as predisposed to light someone up.

Really proud of the first responders and really wish the other people on site the best of luck and thank them for their service. This will only make our great country stronger.
I would hope that TPS have learned their lessons from Sammy Yatim. But yes, I am thankful that I live in a country where I don't have to worry about every other person carrying a gun and that the police are reasonably being held accountable for their actions.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel a bit bad that I laughed when he kept pulling his "phone/wallet" out over and over like it was a gun. Guy looked like a cartoon/game character stuck in a loop.

The police just stood there watching him like he's an idiot.

You're not in America my man...that's not working like you hoped.

Guy steps out of a van holding a cell phone, there's the worry that he could be attempting to detonate a bomb.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
He's probably saying public transportation SHOULD be the better option in any major city. Which is correct. Everyone driving around in their own exhaust-spewing metal box is insane.
Yes, that's what I was getting at. Obviously no one wants to take away your "freedom". However, no one should be required to drive a car to get anywhere.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This shit was bound to make it here to Toronto eventually.

Good on the cops for getting him alive. Wish nothing but the worst for him in prison.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
This might sound insensitive, but I wish the Canadian prisons weren't so nice, especially for people like this.
We shouldn't allow our governments to start treating people in prison a certain way. Keep them away from the public but we shouldn't go down a slippery slope like this. Or we're going to have a bigger issue where these not so nice methods will be used on people that don't deserve it.

Deleted member 25709

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chief Deputy US Marshall (Retired), CNN: "We could have engaged them with gunfire long time before that"

JFC, this right here explains the problem in the police training in the US

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
So many kudos to those cops for not knee-jerking and possibly killing him.

Guy doesn't deserve to get off so easy.

Just saw some guy on CNN say how surprised he is that the officer didn't fire a single shot. Big difference between US and Canadian law enforcement here I guess.

Chief Deputy US Marshall (Retired), CNN: "We could have engaged them with gunfire long time before that"

JFC, this right here explains the problem in the police training in the US

Ditto

scotdar

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I do find all the talk on the police taking him down alive a little surprising. Our police have always been held to a high standard, they don't just blow people away in a public street in broad daylight. They did the job like the professionals they are, I agree they did a good job but I would expect nothing less.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Advocating Violence
honestly they should have shot him dead. he doesnt deserve to live, even prison life is too good for him. the people he mowed down dont have any possibilities so why should he?

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw some guy on CNN say how surprised he is that the officer didn't fire a single shot. Big difference between US and Canadian law enforcement here I guess.
Yep, the officer could have even fired thinking his phone was a gone. I mean US Police just lit up a black man in the yard and all you hear is panic and one yell "GUN" without confirming if it was an actual weapon. Hope the gap widens between Canadian and USA police

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
thread got weird complaining about Canadian prisons being "too nice"

Canadian prisons are rough, not as rough as the US but still rough. If you are not affiliated with a gang, life in prison is hell on Earth

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
honestly they should have shot him dead. he doesnt deserve to live, even prison life is too good for him. the people he mowed down dont have any possibilities so why should he?
Because we live in a country where the law will dictate what happens to him, there is no room for vengeance or revenge, the minute we give that up we sacrifice much more

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I do find all the talk on the police taking him down alive a little surprising. Our police have always been held to a high standard, they don't just blow people away in a public street in broad daylight. They did the job like the professionals they are, I agree they did a good job but I would expect nothing less.
There was that incident with the mentally ill kid in the streetcar who was wielding a knife. He was isolated, alone in the streetcar, and was still gunned down.

Nowhere close to the American rate, but it still happens from time to time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4605021

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): advocating for violence against prisoners.
Nah.

Throw this guy in the right prison surrounded by the right people, make sure they're well aware why he's there, and he'll enjoy a few years of abuse that will be much worse for him.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
he may have accomplices and/or enablers.

keeping him alive allows the cops to uncover more accomplices if any.

If he was radicalized by an other, than that needs to be investigated as well.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
He wanted suicide by cop, pointing his phone like it's a gun, pointing it multiple times and even saying "I got a gun".

Brave police officer, honestly.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to believe that this can happen in my city. 10 minutes from where I live.