Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Daily deaths down to 98 with the seven-day average. First time we've been below three figures for the average since October.

Maybe way too optimistic at the moment to assume we'll never hit three figures again.

Edit: Patients in hospital in England dropped to 5,083 as of yesterday. Lowest since mid-October.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
A total of 22,337,590 people had been given a first jab as of March 18, according to NHS England.
This is the equivalent of 50.5% of the population of England aged 18 and over, based on the latest estimates by the Office for National Statistics.
England is the first of the four nations to pass the symbolic milestone.
Wales is currently at the equivalent of 47.7% of adults, Scotland 46.6% and Northern Ireland 45.1%.

A separate milestone has been passed in Wales, where one in 10 of the total population is likely to have had both doses of the vaccine.
Latest figures show that 318,976 people in Wales have received two doses, the equivalent of 10.1% of the population.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Wales is considerably ahead overall per capita, they've definitely been doing well.

Sadly the hospital admissions had a bit of an increase this week, but hopefully just a blip.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Showing that you're taking something like this seriously is absolutely a good thing to build trust. The pauses are obviously not good, but if people can now be confident that they don't need to worry about the vaccination itself that's ultimatelty a win.

Ignoring it would have been a mistake.
They could have investigated the issue without pausing all vaccinations.

The fact that cases are still dropping despite schools having been open for 2 weeks is really good news.

Obviously not out of the woods yet and cases might start to climb again soon but this might be indicative that schools aren't as significant an issue as we previously thought.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
They can't possibly do this until everyone has had the chance to be vaccinated. If they opened up the country in June but said "hey you can only go to that concert if you've been vaccinated" they better make sure they've been able to offer it to everyone or there would be riots.

Maybe they could organise it so as those with vaccine passports are automatically allowed entry whereas younger folk have to take a test beforehand? A ton of people in the country will be vaccinated by June so it wouldn't be as much of a logistical nightmare to test those who aren't.

alternate

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ok folks. The side effects of these vaccines are horrendous. I went to bed feeling fine. Not even a pain in my arm. This morning I am literally at death's door (yes I know men are prone to overreaction but still). It took me a good half hour to get out of bed, and I am someone who never gets ill normally. This is possibly the worst I have felt in my life, which probably is a good thing as it means I haven't had any serious illness before, and my body is reacting as it should be but holy shit. Plan accordingly as there is no way I would be able to work today. Buttering my toast was a life achievement.

Erk.

It varies incredibly from person to person. Mother had a sore arm for a day and my step dad had no reaction at all.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Exciting times ahead my nekkid friend
How I envisage you in two weeks.

db7013248ece98ded67bd774e4ada210.gif

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6236574c615175374973547770773d3d2d3539393034313435342e3135336536383239323932356263666336353036383834393839302e676966

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Maybe they could organise it so as those with vaccine passports are automatically allowed entry whereas younger folk have to take a test beforehand? A ton of people in the country will be vaccinated by June so it wouldn't be as much of a logistical nightmare to test those who aren't.
Yeah, I'm hoping this is how they handle it instead of completely dismissing anyone who hasn't been vaccinated/received their 2nd dose yet.

It would be insanely unfair otherwise, and I'd be absolutely devastated if I can't see the below in real life:

I am going to be so drunk this time in 2 weeks guys

IN A GARDEN

THAT IS NOT MY OWN
I keep forgetting about this.

I may try and organise a little get together with mates in a park sometime soon, assuming the weather is decent of course.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
With the very likely third wave in Europe, it will be interesting to see how our vaccination effort mitigates the threat being repeated here. A real world test already and a scary one, as if it fails I have no idea where we go from there.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm hoping this is how they handle it instead of completely dismissing anyone who hasn't been vaccinated/received their 2nd dose yet.

It would be insanely unfair otherwise, and I'd be absolutely devastated if I can't see the below in real life:

I keep forgetting about this.

I may try and organise a little get together with mates in a park sometime soon, assuming the weather is decent of course.

didn't know this was a thing. just booked for wembley!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
What the fuck, just got some ridiculous anti lockdown ad on YouTube, how are they allowing this? I swear that site is such trash

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
With the very likely third wave in Europe, it will be interesting to see how our vaccination effort mitigates the threat being repeated here. A real world test already and a scary one, as if it fails I have no idea where we go from there.
Haven't we already had that wave? This current one is down to the U.K. variant hitting Europe right and we had that impact in Jan?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't we already had that wave? This current one is down to the U.K. variant hitting Europe right and we had that impact in Jan?
Yes. Third wave was:
January: UK
February: Spain / Portugal /some Central Europe countries
March: Most of Europe

Spain is sitting close to the edge of a fourth wave though.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Yes. Third wave was:
January: UK
February: Spain / Portugal /some Central Europe countries
March: Most of Europe

Spain is sitting close to the edge of a fourth wave though.
This is why I object to EU nations framing their third wave as "we don't have the vaccines to avoid a lockdown". Neither did the UK at the time our third wave kicked off. That's why we've been in a fairly severe lockdown for nearly three months.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I object to EU nations framing their third wave as "we don't have the vaccines to avoid a lockdown". Neither did the UK at the time our third wave kicked off. That's why we've been in a fairly severe lockdown for nearly three months.
UUUh, UK got a third wave because it fucked things up and opened way before Christmas and stayed opened during a good chunk of Christmas (turbo charged by the british strain). Most of the continent didn't act in such a stupid way.
Most of Europe (outside of Portugal and Spain that decided to slightly open for Christmas and that had consequences) still had pretty decent lockdowns until mid-late january completely avoiding all that "wave" and the infection remained stable until the british strain came and basically made it hard for numbers to come down and go back up again.
The idea was to be able to slowly open through Q1 as most of the more in danger population was vaccinated (the idea was all 80+ vaccinated by end of Q1) but lack of vaccines and the new british variant (that basically makes it very hard to control using normal previous methods), throw everything out of the loop.
For instance, in Spain numbers are still very much stable in most regions, but it is clearly in the edge with a controlled british strain that could go wild at any moment:
unknown.png

Edit: I guess if we consider "third wave" as Chrismtas, most of Europe completely avoided that one. If we consider "third wave" as british variant, that was not expected to happen and put everything in a weird way.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Do you guys think we'll have further waves and lockdowns here?

I'd love to think that come June 21st we're finally out of this.

But given the past 12 months, I can't help but feel pessimistic.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
UUUh, UK got a third wave because it fucked things up and opened way before Christmas and stayed opened during a good chunk of Christmas (turbo charged by the british strain)
Most of Europe (outside of Portugal and Spain that decided to slightly open for Christmas and that had consequences) still had pretty decent lockdowns until mid-late january completely avoiding all that "wave" and the infection remained stable until the british strain came and basically made it hard for numbers to come down and go back up again.
The idea was to be able to slowly open through Q1 but lack of vaccines and the new british variant (that basically makes it very hard to control using normal previous methods), throw everything out of the loop.
For instance, in Spain numbers are still very much stable in most regions, but it is clearly in the edge with a controlled british strain that could go wild at any moment:
unknown.png
I think you might have misinterpreted what I was saying - or I didn't phrase it very well. My issue is with countries saying "we wouldn't be having this third wave if we had more vaccines!" when other places - notably the UK - have already dealt with third waves and are responding accordingly. Those places are not escaping third waves - they're reacting to them.

Not to mention the fact that no country has provable vaccinated enough to avoid another wave yet, so it's not as simple as, say, shipping all the available vaccines to France.

I'm totally aware that the UK's third wave was very much of its own making.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I think you might have misinterpreted what I was saying - or I didn't phrase it very well. My issue is with countries saying "we wouldn't be having this third wave if we had more vaccines!" when other places - notably the UK - have already dealt with third waves and are responding accordingly. Not to mention the fact that no country has provable vaccinated enough to avoid another wave yet.

I'm totally aware that the UK's third wave was very much of its own making.
But most places are already are taking measurements and responding accordingly? The main complain regarding vaccination is not about completely evading it but beign in a far better situation than we currently are (as more 70+ should have been vaccinated by now but you know, AZ gotta AZ and deliver peanuts). Most of it comes from promises from before Christmas that it was gonna be the last major lockdown but then the british strain had to fuck thigns up and make most of it much harder to control.

Also Israel has shown to be good enough vaccine to not really have another wave btw.

Edit:
Those places are not escaping third waves - they're reacting to them.

Yeah. The vaccine part is more about people being annoyed by slow vaccine roll out and the "broken promise" of Christmas being the last lockdown and the end of the slow opening up post chrismtas (mainly fueled by the british strain).

Depends on strains. I would say this should be the last wave, unless something very unlucky happens.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018

Damn. Even though its great numbers, it just makes me upset realizing that if we didnt have these supply delays, these are the numbers we could have been hitting for the next few months. Like 4 Mil a week with half and half first and second doses we could have smashed this entire vaccine schedule. Hopefully towards the end of April we can build straight back up to these results and go even faster knowing a good portion of people will be second dosed in April.

I dont see another lockdown happening. Even if a new variant arises, the vaccines will still offer some protection and will be able to hopefully quickly get booster shots out there if need be.

I also dont think the public would accept another lockdown haha.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020

The number of the wave is irrelevant to the point I was making. If the numbers go up as they are in Europe, it will be interesting to see how hospitalisations and deaths vary here in comparison to Europe. It is an early test of how competent the vaccine really is at preventing serious illness. Infection rate is already levelling off here from its recent drop, it would seem inevitable that it will creep up as more of the economy is opened and social contact increased.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad that the whole AZ agenda with the EU has not affected the uptake in the vaccine. It seems the stubborn British attitude is actually coming in useful here

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
So the hashtag Covidiots was trending, and of course there's an anti-lockdown protest in London.

Curious how the police don't break that up huh.

Dec 2, 2017
I have this awful feeling the reopening will be pushed back. I don't want to doom Post cos I'm feeling very down and eager to reopen myself but I can't help it.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I have this awful feeling the reopening will be pushed back. I don't want to doom Post cos I'm feeling very down and eager to reopen myself but I can't help it.

They will definitely open up on April12 but expect cases to rise quickly - the vaccines are not great at preventing transmission, only good at preventing severe disease

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
They will definitely open up on April12 but expect cases to rise quickly - the vaccines are not great at preventing transmission, only good at preventing severe disease

Er yes they have though ... multiple reports for both vaccines throughout Feb showed the two main vaccines being used here substantially reduced transmission.