• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

4LsoJG1.gif

Imagine if only one person there has it

Mar 29, 2018
My vulnerable housebound mom uses the morrisons app... they took it offline. She cant use the browser very well I tried helping her log in via the phone but she gets confused and frustrated with it as she presses the wrong letters alot. Me and my sister were going to log in the website and do her shopping for her, but now theres 0 slots. I think im going to end up walking 3 miles to her house with shopping and 3 miles back home if it doesnt get sorted. That food thing for at risk people sounded they were on about the other night sounded as unicorny as brexit
Do you or anyone you know have a tablet? Far better for people who struggle with tech. Large buttons etc.

Mar 29, 2018
- which office jobs that can't be done wfh are essential
I know two people in large offices who are still going in and will continue to go in ("it's business as usual for us") because it's nowhere near clear if their offices are essential. It's housing and letting stuff. IMO, absolutely not essential or can at least mostly be done from home. But the government haven't said anything explicit, sooo. To make it worse, one of them firmly believes the whole thing is overblown and that she doesn't NEED to be careful or avoid the office.

MmmSkyscraper

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the fuck off Mike Ashley
www.bbc.co.uk

Coronavirus: Sports Direct U-turns on opening after backlash

Retailer says it will not open its shops "until we are given the go-ahead by the government".

Gove has already told Ashley to sit down:

All non-essential retail should close. Asked about Mike Ashley, the chief executive of Sports Direct who has suggested shops may stay open, [Gove] said the shops were not essential, should shut and Ashley should "rescind what he said".

Guardian live blog

Gove clarifies restrictions, childcare for children moving between two homes

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Gove has already told Ashley to sit down:

Guardian live blog

thanks for this- I'm just going to paste the clarifications here as they become harder to find as the blog moves on. I know some wanted info on childcare for kids moving between two homes.

Guardian live blog:
UK Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove has been speaking this morning on Good Morning Britain and BBC Breakfast. He has provided some further details on the UK lockdown:

BBC Breakfast (@BBCBreakfast)
Michael Gove tells #BBCBreakfast about construction workers under the new #coronavirus advice

- "Construction should continue on site"

- "I think it's important that when we have construction work that can be done safely in the open air… it can continue"
March 24, 2020
  • All non-essential retail should close. Asked about Mike Ashley, the chief executive of Sports Direct who has suggested shops may stay open, he said the shops were not essential, should shut and Ashley should "rescind what he said".
  • Answering questions on unclear advice for the construction industry, Gove said all major construction work should go ahead but jobs carried out at close quarters in someone's home should would not be appropriate.
  • On rules for separated families in two households, Gove clarified earlier comments and said there should be limited movement between households but children could continue to see both parents if they were under 18.
  • Garages can remain open, to ensure cars remain safe and roadworthy but people should exercise self control. "People should not be out and about unless they need to be," said Gove.
  • You can deliver food to vulnerable people, that is an "appropriate activity".
  • On food delivery bottle necks - Gove said supermarkets are doing a great job but there will be more deliveries and other companies are steeping into gaps. People should shop sparingly.
  • On people moving house - if it is possible to pause moving that should be done. If at all possible people should stay in their current home.
  • On exercise - this means a walk, run or cycle once a day. Going to an allotment would be "sensible" but people should not be playing golf or any sport which requires interaction.
  • Police will be enforcing these rules.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

They can fuck right off

I feel like a letter to the PM is just a way of staying open for an extra day under plausible deniability as they wait for an official reply from offices inundated with obvious other things to worry about on top of retailers taking the piss. I wouldn't even dignify it with a response of greater than 'no'.

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
Will rubbish/recycling still be getting collected? Not sure where that lies on the essential scale. More so than Sports Direct I imagine.

MrJohnSherry

Jan 4, 2018
Will rubbish/recycling still be getting collected? Not sure where that lies on the essential scale. More so than Sports Direct I imagine.

Ours is here in Northern Ireland, today in fact. Just earlier, they have to be out at 6am or the evening before, and you must left them before the bin men arrive or they wouldnt accept it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Depends on your local council- some have changed the schedule, others are running as normal. Should be a page on their website somewhere, otherwise give them a ring.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
thanks for this- I'm just going to paste the clarifications here as they become harder to find as the blog moves on. I know some wanted info on childcare for kids moving between two homes.

Guardian live blog:

If I go to the park for a kick about with my football mad 7 year old and make sure nobody else comes near us, will that be okay? The park is only 3 minutes walk and fairly large

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
This is pretty much the entire reason we've never seen infection rates go above 1k/day, and instead hover about 6/700 a day.

Unfortunately, the only real measure of spread right now is the death rate, and that lags behind the reality by something like 5wks.

i posted that the NHS couldnt do any testing in this forum days ago - they asked uni's to help by borrowing reagents and equipment, then decided they couldnt use the equipment as they have no experience.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If I go to the park for a kick about with my football mad 7 year old and make sure nobody else comes near us, will that be okay? The park is only 3 minutes walk and fairly large
All we can do is interpret it, but I'd say that seems fine if it's only round the corner and for half hour or so? Not everyone has a garden so I expect there's a little leeway on this as long as you're careful around others and not taking the piss?

Problem they have is that if they get too specific selfish tossers will find loopholes.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from Sainsbury's. Luckily it looks like the announcement didn't set off mass panic buying, the shop was busier than on a normal morning(I imagine) but still quiet and everyone kept their distance. Managed to get milk, bread, fresh meat, fruit.

Just no tins of food really.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
I was sorta hoping lockdown might at least stop the noise from the construction site by my house but nope, guess I'm trapped with it forever.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
My landlord chose the worst time ever to do repairs on the roof. Builders turned up yesterday and tore our roof off, so they're back for the rest of the week to finish the job as they obviously can't leave the roof with a hole in during a lockdown.

Loud banging and drilling all fucking morning before 9am while I'm trying to work and drown them out with my headphones. Can't even go elsewhere to work because of the lockdown. Doesn't help I had a terrible night's sleep anyway. I'm gonna fucking stab someone at this rate.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Sports direct definitely needs to go from the high street after this is all over, Mike Ashley showing his true colours:

profit> lives

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, here are the UK tests conducted per day (since I bothered to record them). There are from comparing the differences between the UK Gov daily briefings.
They increased about a week ago from around 1500/day to around 5000/day.
They are a miles away from the widespread testing that other countries are doing, and that the WHO have been calling for for over a month.
Sending their appeal to companies with PCR equipment yesterday is just staggeringly incompetent.

Code:
Date    New tests today
4/3/2020    2748
5/3/2020    1404
6/3/2020    2275
7/3/2020    1122
8/3/2020    2053
9/3/2020    1447
10/3/2020    1301
11/3/2020    1215
12/3/2020    2288
13/3/2020    3007
14/3/2020    4975
15/3/2020    2533
16/3/2020    3826
17/3/2020    6337
18/3/2020    5779
19/3/2020    8400
20/3/2020    2355
21/3/2020    5842
22/3/2020    5522
23/3/2020    5605

Boris going on live TV and calling for people to order food online was "stupid evil alignment" levels of dumb.
It is known that online deliveries can cope with <10% of our household food requirements.
Sainsbury's and others have been furiously checking their customer databases and re-jigging their software to indentify and prioritise the elderly and other vulnerable people.
So this dumb motherfucker tells everyone to do it and just floods the system to the extent that all the apps/websites crash or go unresponsive.