16bits

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Even accurate "home" syrology tests only have an accuracy rate of around 80-85%; and that's when they;ve been thoroughly tested. I expect they'll go through testing alongside lab tests to validate the first batches (probably focus on NHS staff for quick turnaround) but still, it's "transformative" but it's not the golden ticket and should not be seen as "we have this, we can start getting back to normal"

what are the false positive and the false negative rates, these are different and important

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
Could people have been dying from this in cases in North America that people wouldn't have caught or known about? Like could the death tolls actually be higher and start earlier than expected?
Sorry for the delayed response. But yes people could have been dying from this and no one would have known about it. They'd just state viral pneumonia or something similar. Remember this is a novel coronavirus so they wouldn't have known of its existence unless they looked for it. Death tolls are likely to have been higher and might be wrongly attributed to the flu.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Seems good so far.

On testing- (summary by the Guardian)

Boris is starting his press conference now. He is with Prof Chris Whitty, the government's chief medical adviser, and Sir Patrick Vallance, the government's chief scientific adviser.

Whitty is now giving details of testing.
He says there is antigen testing - to see if people have the disease.
At one point the government was testing people who arrived in the UK who might have it. But as the disease spread, that became impossible.
He says there is a shortage of testing equipment. As more tests become available, the government wants to be able to test NHS staff and people with mild symptoms.
The bottleneck is largely caused by global factors, he says.
He says the second test is the antibody test - to see if people have had coronavirus. That is not ready yet, but it is not far off, he says.

Whitty says the one thing that is worse than no test is a bad test.
Vallance agrees. He says that it why it is important to wait to make sure the antibody test is right.

Johnson asks Vallance to comment on the Oxford University study publicised today saying up to half the population may have had coronavirus.
Vallace says it is too early to evaluate it.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Boris sounds like he's trying to become a TV presenter now.

"We'll be back tomorrow..."

Give him a run on The One Show.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I've signed up as a volunteer. Feel a bit conflicted over it as surely the 5th richest country in the world should not be asking for volunteers, but...
TBF the UK government is paying 80% of the salaries of those millions working in hospitality and leisure who are stuck at home doing nothing right now (through no fault of their own of course). But I don't think it would be unfair to kindly ask for some of them to volunteer to help out the vulnerable in these circumstances, whilst they would otherwise have been working.

Also the "5th richest country" thing is such Brexit argument bullshit. We're #27 based on GDP per capita.

Not aiming this at you btw :) Good job on volunteering!!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've been told by a credible source that we've had had quite a few deaths very recently in our town's hospital, but they only saying that we've had a couple to somehow not create panic?
What is your credible source please. Be aware of the staff post above the reply box that says not to post unsourced rumours.

Swerbs

Oct 27, 2017
Good news, Turbo Tim has backed down after bad press and pressure from parliament and wetherspoons is now paying it's staff.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Why are people getting their knickers in a twist over Halfords reopening?

also off licences are now allowed to open. Thank god as beer aisles are empty in super markets

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are people getting their knickers in a twist over Halfords reopening?

also off licences are now allowed to open. Thank god as beer aisles are empty in super markets

because people are crazy. Some people seem to want the whole world to completly shutdown.

Edit just reading staff were told they would be getting 3 weeks leave fully paid and then 48 hours later told they need to go in or face disciplinary action.

Last edited:

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
On my usual walk i'm seeing so many more people out and about that i've never seen before, as well as us usuals. I know it's because most people are at home now and the weather is good. But everyone is keeping a distance from eachother so it's fine. People doing laps in the field behind us too. Must be nice to own land.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
Went to sign up to volunteer for the NHS but it needed a photo of my DBS which i don't have to hand. I don't drive so i only would have been able to chat to people over the phone.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, my place has finally shutdown (at least temporarily). Not sure if it's unpaid leave or if they'll be taking up the Govt offer of 80% paid salary, but I'll take it over being forced to go in at any rate since no one else there seemed to be taking the virus seriously.

Really informative post from Azraes- science

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
There's so much misinformation about this virus so I'll put a few bits of information here, hopefully it's okay to post here. But before that here is a good article on how we are not only facing an epidemic but an infodemic thanks to bad actors and miscommunication.

First of all, COVID-19 is the disease and SARS-COV-2 the virus. It is not from the same family as the flu and in fact the disease is a different class of disease from the flu. Other than SARS and MERS, the other four viruses in this class (coronavirus) generally are viruses associated with the common cold.

Over the length of its 30,000-base-pair genome, SARS-CoV-2 accumulates an average of about one to two mutations per month. This virus mutates slower than the flu and it is about 2-4 times slower than the flu. This indicates that it is possible that once a vaccine is developed it will be like vaccines we use for diseases we can develop immunity from. However bear in mind that there is still not enough information to study the phylogeny of this particular virus and that we have not effectively developed vaccines for the common cold this is why testing the vaccines is important and cannot be 'fast-tracked'. It isn't impossible, it just needs time. Some of the articles I've linked here were from when there was 350 genome sequences shared on GISAID; think there's over 1500 now. But these represent a tiny fraction of cases and show few telltale differences leading us to overinterpret the data.

Human mobility is really key in this spread. Here's an image that shows what happened in China.

F2.large.jpg

Human mobility, spread and synchrony of COVID-19 outbreak in China. (a) Human mobility data extracted in real time from Baidu. Travel restrictions from Wuhan and large scale control measures started on January 23,2020. Dark and red lines represent fluxes of human movements for 2019 and 2020, respectively. (b) Relative movements from Wuhan to other provinces in China. (c) Timeline of the correlation between daily incidence in Wuhan and incidence in all other provinces, weighted by human mobility.
You can read the paper here. It's from the magazine, Science, and this is peer reviewed. The clear indication is that to keep this contained travel/human mobility needs to be contained. This is going to be important moving forward in case we have wave 2. This is why we need to see what will happen in China of course.

The first case of COVID-19 was now identified from mid November in China but it is quite likely that there have been other cases. People have been traveling and that hasn't stopped so most countries would have had infections before we realised it was this and even before Wuhan. The central travel hubs across the world will have higher infection rates than we are aware of. So cities like London, New York, Tokyo, Amsterdam, etc could probably have a lot more than we know. It also is likely that it means that these locations need antibody/antigen testing conducted to see how many recovered from it and more testing is never a bad thing.

Those flaunting the models saying that 50% of people are infected are sadly speaking not from conclusive datasets and there are many doubts on it. You cannot make conclusive models on the spread as yet as the current assumption is the rate of spread is 2.5 per person and that could be 2.5 per day in some calculations. If you go by bad input data you can even have it that in 10 days with 50% not self-isolating from an initial infected of 500(of which 100 are known as this is supposed to be 80-20 in terms of mild-severe ratio) the infection rate would be in double digit millions. There are also factors that show that 13% of the spread in China was from asymptomatic carriers. So the modelling has flaws. But the number of deaths from flu-like illnesses or pneumonia can potentially be an indicator.

Here's also something to read on the affect of the four medication sets that WHO is trialling. Chloroquine is still in doubt but people are already being stupid. Some doctors in Australia have been irresponsibly self-medicating themselves and family.
They are testing BCG vaccines right now to see if it can raise our immunity in general so that we can fight off this virus. Yes the vaccine is aimed towards bacteria and it's the good old anti-TB vaccine BCG.

If you want to know why the SARS-COV-2 has been successful you can find more reading here. Some excerpts

most respiratory viruses tend to infect either the upper or lower airways. In general, an upper-respiratory infection spreads more easily, but tends to be milder, while a lower-respiratory infection is harder to transmit, but is more severe. SARS-CoV-2 seems to infect both upper and lower airways, perhaps because it can exploit the ubiquitous furin. This double whammy could also conceivably explain why the virus can spread between people before symptoms show up—a trait that has made it so difficult to control. Perhaps it transmits while still confined to the upper airways, before making its way deeper and causing severe symptoms. All of this is plausible but totally hypothetical; the virus was only discovered in January, and most of its biology is still a mystery.
A few SARS-CoV-2 viruses that were isolated from Singaporean COVID-19 patients are missing a stretch of genes that also disappeared from SARS-classic during the late stages of its epidemic. This change was thought to make the original virus less virulent, but it's far too early to know whether the same applies to the new one. Indeed, why some coronaviruses are deadly and some are not is unclear. "There's really no understanding at all of why SARS or SARS-CoV-2 are so bad but OC43 just gives you a runny nose," Frieman says.

The whole thing about Italy's cases being imported from Munich was misinformation because there wasn't sufficient information to claim that link since there could have been a variant from the Chinese outbreak that carried the three mutations. But someone jumped the gun and tweeted it and it got picked up.

Viruses mutate and more so in an outbreak. This happens. This isn't to be concerned about. We also do not know if the SARS-COV-2 will mutate to become milder like its cold virus siblings or be like it's other siblings that cause SARS or MERS. However the fact that it is a lot slower indicates that when we develop a vaccine it might be a permanent one. Situation is evolving and will be monitored.

Additionl interesting reading:

Everything you should know about the COVID-19 outbreak.
1079702_reduce-risk-of-coronavirus-infection.jpg

Source: World Health Organization; 2020.
spectrum.ieee.org

Big Data Helps Taiwan Fight Coronavirus

How Taiwan used big data, new technologies and heavy handed government to control the spread of the coronavirus
It is okay to feel anxious - an article written by a professor in China during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Mental health note:

While people understand some people have anxiety and speak to them, remember that some of you or your loved ones might have signs or symptoms of OCD which can have adverse effects on anxiety. It is increasingly important to help in these cases or at the very least be mindful. Throwing facts at their face will not stop the compulsion part of the OCD and telling them to stop doesn't help either. Here's an article that shows the state of some people who have OCD/Anxiety.
Here's Stephen Fry on stress and anxiety.
Work out and hey here's some Lululemon workouts too.
In general, talk to people and there are some free classes on here that you can access. Mind you that this is based on Eastern time but you could check them out when you feel like you're overwhelmed. Don't everyone sign up at once.
Take breaks from the news and don't follow the 24-7 cycle.
Stick to your meal times and sleep schedules.

Do you want to help scientists monitor symptoms so they can get a better understanding of the disease? Download this app.

Plum

May 31, 2018
My Mum started isolating last Wednesday (developed a cough which has thankfully subsided for the most part) but I only realised that there was a way to get an isolation note from the NHS today. Now I can't enter last Wednesday as the date in the form...

Anyone know what I should do? I work in essential retail so they will be expecting me to go in but I'm not going in if it's not going to follow the proper guidelines.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. They're not even paying the NHS staff enough and now they want people to do life endangering work for free. Tories gonna tory
Way to spin a massive positive into a negative.

Also the point of the volunteers is to assist those who are vulnerable in the community. It's hardly anymore life endangering that just surviving at the moment.

Shambles

Oct 25, 2017
Never seen so many joggers in my life before.
Yeah, I'm currently unemployed so I like to go during the day when, under normal circumstances, everyone else is at work/school. Today was a surprise!

Right here:

GoodSAM

GoodSAM

news.sky.com

Coronavirus: How to sign up to become an NHS volunteer responder

Members of the public will be helping the 1.5m vulnerable people who have been asked to "shield" themselves from COVID-19.
Thanks

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
A person currently working in the hospital in my town.
Without knowing which hospital it is, and I understand why you wouldn't want to identify it, this kind of post isn't that helpful. Please can we stick to sourced information rather than second-hand anonymous sources in unknown hospitals in unknown towns, in accordance with the staff post above the reply box. Thanks.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21665

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like at this point they should give everyone a year off the council tax (1st homes only, obviously). Pretty easy to administer and everyone benefits. I can see a lot of self-employed/contractors about to get royally screwed.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like at this point they should give everyone a year off the council tax (1st homes only, obviously). Pretty easy to administer and everyone benefits. I can see a lot of self-employed/contractors about to get royally screwed.
All we can do is wait until tomorrow to find out just exactly how screwed...

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
My Mum started isolating last Wednesday (developed a cough which has thankfully subsided for the most part) but I only realised that there was a way to get an isolation note from the NHS today. Now I can't enter last Wednesday as the date in the form...

Anyone know what I should do? I work in essential retail so they will be expecting me to go in but I'm not going in if it's not going to follow the proper guidelines.

The form let's you put a date 7 days in the past so just put last Thursday if Wednesday is to late now? Otherwise I guess you'd have to speak to your GP or 111.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The form let's you put a date 7 days in the past so just put last Thursday if Wednesday is to late now? Otherwise I guess you'd have to speak to your GP or 111.

I've put last Thursday and will just explain what happened to my boss when I send it in. It's a day before not a day after so it's not like I'm trying to steal another day off lol

Honestly quite surprised that I've heard nothing about this service until now. Seems like it's quite crucial for essential workers like myself.

MegaMelon

Feb 6, 2018
I've had a severe flu...or maybe worse these past 2 weeks. Can't remember having something this bad like...ever. Sweating, sneezing, exhaustion, some occasional breathing difficulties. Anyways, today I'm starting to feel mostly better which is great buuut...

My Grandma is giving my uncle (whom she lives with) a hard time since she's basically locked up inside without much to do. She has some level of dementia, and can make the wildest, and frankly mean accusations because of this "You stole my things, you're trying to give me raw food, etc" whilst being uncoooerative and making life hell.

The problem is my uncle and father have decided they'll bring her to our house (I live with my father, mother and siblings) everyday for some hours in the evening. And I blew my fuse at this because I've never felt this ill and I haven't even 100% recovered yet, let alone allowing 2 weeks as a buffer. They don't see my panic at letting a 80 years old plus person come when I've had the worst illness in my life. Oh and my sister has started developing a temperature and maybe a cough.

I'm happy to host her everyday for the next 1.5 years but my position is give at least 2 weeks in case I have/had it.

Am I overreacting? I feel like either I'm crazy or my whole family is.