Mar 29, 2018
It'll be business as usual as soon as the pubs open. There will be absolutely no structural changes on the back of this and nobody will learn anything.
It depends. If lockdowns work well enough and the economy gets back on track relatively quickly, you MIGHT be right.

But in every other scenario I think you're incorrect here. Chances are even if the lockdown works in the short term, the minute we relax them the virus will begin spreading violently again. The economic impact will become lighter but will keep coming back in "waves".

And it's even more likely that lockdowns will help, but not as much as we need.

Either way, whole industries are going to bust up while a minority manage to reform/move laterally and quickly. This means that, should unemployment stay high and the economy stay weak for a long time - which is likely - even when pubs open, people will have a fraction as much money in pocket. If m/any of these pubs have survived anyway. A lot of people will need UBI to manage long-term, I mean over the next year.

And a big part of the reason right-wing governments are TERRIFIED to implement UBI is that they know once it has been implemented, it'll be almost impossible to roll it back. The impact on daily life it'll have for the (financially) bottom 50% of the population will be massive. Absolutely massive. Transformative, even.

And if you're the government who introduces it then rescinds it... you're never getting voted in again.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Got mail from work about a salary cut dependent on salary band for the next 3 months.
I have no idea why they are doing this when they can just ask the government to cover for them, it isn't like a lot of other businesses where they have to pay employees who aren't able to work and as such ask for a lot more than just a fraction that's being cut from our base pay. We are still working the same.

If I was on my own, I wouldn't really give a shit as being employed and working from home at a time like this is a privilege. But my GF is fully dependant on me atm and will need some extra cash to help her set things up when things get a bit better.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Hearing rumours about the NHS potentially looking into versions of NHS Nightingale elsewhere, too. For example the NEC in Birmingham and the Principality Stadium in Cardiff etc.

Anyone know if there's anything to this or if it's just another BS rumour?

16bits

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Welsh geezer not fucking around... (Very much NSFW audio)

XD

this should be played instead of the One Show

he is absolutely right

(some of) the parents and chidren in my area are treating this is a free holiday, and having their children off school is somehow inconveniencing them and their normal routine!

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have any reference for that?

I read this article yesterday:

www.vox.com

The Covid-19 risks for different age groups, explained

Different age cohorts have different vulnerabilities to Covid-19, but nobody’s risk is zero.
For a good chunk of the people on this site, for anyone over 60 that gets this:

fb0.jpg

I get that this is a scary situation but the hyperbole on display from some really doesn't help. I had to withdraw from the main Corona thread on here about 2 weeks ago as it was doing no good for my mental health the way some people talk about all this.

I'm on my phone but Prince Philip is 98 years old. He's had multiple operations recently and has had to now remain at his home and pass on husband royal duties to his son due to overall health decline given his exceptionally old age.

Coronavirus affects the elderly much worse than younger people. Someone at 98 would be at the very highest point in the spectrum.

Yes, this is my opinion, however I think the Queen and Philip are wise to stay in isolation at Windsor's Castle.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I had to stop work today because I'm freaking out about my friend. They are testing his husband and putting him in quarantine too. The sad thing is they are keeping them separated - so if he dies, his husband won't even be there with him. This is just heart wrenching.

It really pisses me off even further to think of the people strutting around not taking this seriously when now my friend is going to die.

The other scary thing is that his husband works in the same office as my wife-but I'm fairly certain that they don't work in close proximity.
This is purely an anecdote but I know first hand someone who caught it on a flight to Australia. His wife, sat next to him and with him several days afterwards, never caught it. Like anything it's possible to be unlucky but here's someone who was in close contact (and kissing) someone with the virus and they never got it (they were tested in Australia and kept in quarantine).

Knightsoftheround

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 7, 2020
For anyone who is struggling mental or is scared I heavily recommend tuning out the media as much as possible. Maybe listen to the BBC update once a day but constantly reading stories and following the virus as close is possible is going to be no good for you.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing rumours about the NHS potentially looking into versions of NHS Nightingale elsewhere, too. For example the NEC in Birmingham and the Principality Stadium in Cardiff etc.

I don't know about the NEC but the Principality Stadium has definitely been offered to the government. BBC sport has a story about it.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
If these home tests are legit and will be tell if you have or had coronavirus then it would be a pretty big game changer, right?

Knightsoftheround

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 7, 2020
Will they only tell you if you have the coronavirus, or whether you did have it at some point (or still do)?

Article says it will tell you of you had the virus. So if it's proved that you can't catch it twice ( which is extremely unlikely) then you can go back to work etc.

More importantly NHS staff will be able to work without the risk to themselves and others.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Will they only tell you if you have the coronavirus, or whether you did have it at some point (or still do)?
From the linked article:

The antibody test involves pricking a finger and analysing a drop of blood in a device that looks like a pregnancy test. It will tell the person using it is they have, or had, Covid-19 and enable them to act accordingly.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know about the specifics but you can be sure the NHS will be setting up more temporary hospitals in cities as the numbers start to go up. We don't have the beds to take everyone in the cities, temporary hospitals help isolate those with this virus from people with other illnesses easier and also will free up beds for other patients who need them. Depending on how fast this continues to spread, every major city will probably have at least one. I'm surprised Glasgow doesn't yet tbh.

If these home tests are legit and will be tell if you have or had coronavirus then it would be a pretty big game changer, right?
It'd reduce the chances of people who have it and are asymptomatic spreading it. I just worry that they're going to use that as an excuse to relax some of the lockdown because "people can self test and it'll be fine" because that won't really work. Nvm I'm wrong on this, it tells you if you've had it already. Still a bit worrying that they might use it to relax restrictions and put people back to work though. Given you can catch it twice and people can still have the virus on them and spread it, even if they're not infected.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Cant say one way or the other but I can definitely see the reasoning. One single additional facility isnt likely going to be enough. Realistically we will likely need a few spread out to really have any hope of providing care to the quantity of people that are going to need it as this peaks.

Yeah, it's an antibody test to check if you had the virus.
Very good news. That's going to be crucial in working out the spread.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
When I posted the article it didn't say anything about testing whether to say if you have or had it. I'm glad they clarified it, it's quite a big thing that they're doing this

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I definitely want to get the antibody test. If I've had it (and I suspect I have), then I'll do the NHS volunteering.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but strange how they're struggling ramping up to do mass testing on people with symptoms but a test that might help people get back to work is coming real soon. Hope they're not rushing something that could have issues.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It will he'll the statistical analysis but I dint know how quickly it helps fix things. If you have had it you can't come back to work with those that haven't had it. If nobody at your office has it, it's still impractical because you'd have to confirm everyone they come in contact with doesn't have it either.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the reassuring words, I have pretty severe health anxiety but have been coping quite well with all of this but when I read stories like this it sets me off badly, so as you can imagine my mental health isn't the greatest right now.

More importantly my main worry is my partner and son, I don't want them dying from this.

This article from the Washington Post suggests that the virus isn't mutating much (i.e. it's genome is staying relatively unchanged), despite having traveled across the world.

Therefore, the hope is we can develop a vaccine and it will be a one and done scenario. Hopefully this is reassuring. It would mean as well that we wouldn't see this getting suddenly worse because the virus suddenly starts promoting worse symptoms.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
It will he'll the statistical analysis but I dint know how quickly it helps fix things. If you have had it you can't come back to work with those that haven't had it. If nobody at your office has it, it's still impractical because you'd have to confirm everyone they come in contact with doesn't have it either.

Wouldn't there be minimal risk if you've had it and aren't exhibiting any symptoms?

You wouldn't be contagious if you've had it and got rid of it.

Nov 14, 2017
I get where you're coming from, but surely your man / woman down the pub will be asking themselves why they got paid most of their wage when they weren't working, but now they have to work to get paid again?
No, they won't. It's a crisis situation will be the canned response. Just because we nationalised the railways for 6 months doesn't mean they have to stay nationalised

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Before you put too much hope into those tests the germans tested similiar (the same?) tests and they gave false results 30% of the time.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I've been told by a credible source that we've had had quite a few deaths very recently in our town's hospital, but they only saying that we've had a couple to somehow not create panic?

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I definitely want to get the antibody test. If I've had it (and I suspect I have), then I'll do the NHS volunteering.
Ditto. I have reason to suspect my daughter and I had it in February, but even if we didn't, I want to try and find out for sure if my son had it last week when he exhibited all the symptoms.

If I've had either a symptomatic or asymptomatic case, I'll get myself on the NHS volunteer register and help out however I can.

silentg

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Weird this. Amazon to distribute. Still to be tested. We've bought 3.5 million. Don't want to sound cynical but who have we had to pay to get these tests? They've turned up out of the blue and sound too good to be true.

Edit: Sounds like they can't have this many people not working?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what it will cost. The absolute worst thing that they can do is sell it in the Supermarkets. It is absolute chaos in there as is. What they should do is set up shop at the local community centers or any mid to large scale buildings that are closed due to the lockdown and distribute from there. Prime candidates for this would be;

-Gyms
-Leisure Centers
-Churches

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Partner who's a nurse in the local ICU has received word that they've received a delivery of x million PPE masks. A massive relief at a time where they were down to sharing masks and looking for makeshift alternatives.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Article says it will tell you of you had the virus. So if it's proved that you can't catch it twice ( which is extremely unlikely) then you can go back to work etc.

More importantly NHS staff will be able to work without the risk to themselves and others.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, if you've had it and can no longer get it - great! But surely you could still pass the virus between an infected person and uninfected person

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had any experience with big tescos the last few days? If I try and make my way there at 5:30 whats the likelyhood I'll be able to get hold of anything I need/am I going to be able to social distance properly?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Well, not much food left indoors, no food in the supermarkets even when you can get in, and no online delivery slots. What are we supposed to do? The lock down is clearly going to last more than 3 weeks and the supermarket situation is only getting worse.

I didn't panic buy, and now I'm paying for it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had any experience with big tescos the last few days? If I try and make my way there at 5:30 whats the likelyhood I'll be able to get hold of anything I need/am I going to be able to social distance properly?

they just sent out an email about putting in place added measures for social distancing- marks outside and inside to show where to stand when queuing, restricting how many people in the store etc

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, not much food left indoors, no food in the supermarkets even when you can get in, and no online delivery slots. What are we supposed to do? The lock down is clearly going to last more than 3 weeks and the supermarket situation is only getting worse.

I didn't panic buy, and now I'm paying for it.
I managed to get a slot on Amazon Prime Now. If it's available in your area they sell food from Morrison's. If you're not a Prime subscriber you should be able to get a trial. My delivery had essentials to stretch a few weeks

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I had word earlier on from a trusted sources that certain essential wards are being transformed into Coronavirus wards and those services are either being reduced or moved.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get a slot on Amazon Prime Now. If it's available in your area they sell food from Morrison's. If you're not a Prime subscriber you should be able to get a trial. My delivery had essentials to stretch a few weeks

Tried and failed Prime Now, when do the slots refresh? I thought it was 12AM, but 2 days in a row I've had 0 luck even getting to see the slots.