• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2018
The worst in recent memory is the soulless purple wad with vacant eyes they call Nabbit. He's the embodiment of NSMB's aesthetic, its dark soul given form.

A thief character is a fun idea but Nabbit is bad. Just so bland, I would believe it if Nintendo came out and announced he was a refugee from Mario Party 4. Heck. I know Nintendo has weird reservations about using the RPG characters, but Popple from Mario and Luigi would have been way more fun. The reuse of Bowser Jr's mask isn't endearing either. It just makes the design seem lazier. Not a good guy.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Aside from the Toad's (with the exception of Toadette, 'cause she's cool), Nabbit & Yoshi immediately come to mind. Yoshi has always been a means to an end (and I especially hate how he's extremely cute now), & Nabbit was equal parts an annoying gameplay mechanic & generally awful design with a bad pun.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
People mentioning Waluigi and Daisy before the babies in this thread, c'mon now. The babies are trash-tier characters that takes up spots in a roster over more deserving characters like Diddy and Birdo or even Toadsworth and E. Gadd. Even worse with Baby Rosalina is like an attempt to retcon her backstory. At most, I would keep Baby Mario and maybe Baby Luigi, but the rest needs to be dumped.

Bingo.

If Nintendo were smart, they should make a new mainline Mario game set in Sarasaland and have her featured prominently. Bring back her tan skin, establish her as an actual character, and differentiate her from Peach.
They did bring her tan skin back in those recent LINE stickers, though I'm not sure why Camelot didn't transfer that to ACES. Also from what clips I've seen in the party/sports spinoffs, she does have a personality "peppy tomboy who slapped Bowser TR-style that one time". I actually like her personality more than Peach, especially in the mainline games where she's reduced to DiD.

The baby fillers are the clear winners.

But taking the usual suspects into account that usually end up Mario Partying/golfing/Tennis...ing.
Waluigi and Daisy are both as flavourless as each other.
Though I'll take Daisy over Peach purely over superior colour of dress and hair, shame they deliberately went back to make her design more pallet swap Peach.
Waluigi meanwhile is like an ascended meme, who lets face it, isn't even the best gangly oddball character meme among nintendo characters in a world where Lanky Kong exists.

Though really the main problem for these two, is never getting a chance outside spinoffs.
So when it comes down to it, the worst Mario character who actually gets dialogue and such...

130px-Starlow_-_MarioLuigi-PaperJam.png

Eff you chippy/Starlow
(and stuffwell while I'm at it)

Starlow is one of the worst characters in the franchise. She barely does anything important past BiS and she spends most of her time talking shit to Luigi. Not to mention, she's in three games. Worst Mario RPG companion by far.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BABIES FOR DAYS
always hated babies outside of mario/luigi/bowser and the yoshis that hatch right from eggs in SMW

edit: I'm not sorry to say that this should not be a thing
lGq6TfP.png

and I actually quite like normal Rosalina so that should tell you how much I hate BABIES

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Mario himself has started to bug me. The cat suit and licking his paws. The fully waxed body. He has just become a pure IP that can be tossed in to any situation, dressed up in any way, play any sport, use any powerup, but still generally is supposed to look like a plumber from Brooklyn. as a character he's just bland and I don't know what he is anymore. The guy saves the princess time after time and for what? A peck on the cheek? Why does he care? Mario Odyssey levels supposedly are all existing in 1 world on a map. But there is a city level with realistic humans. WHAT DOES THAT MAKE MARIO????? There's dinosaur world and food world too. They just take whatever idea pops up and apply it to Mario with no rules whatsoever to keep his character intact. Mario has frankly reached a level of blandness and uniformity that I don't find I like the character any more. I was hoping they would give him a whole new look just as they have for Link. I think people would love it. Nintendo says Mario is like Disneys Mickey Mouse. Well then act like it! Mickey has had his look changed fully several times, and Disney doesn't cram him into everything they do.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
This is how Rosalina came to be: Let's clone Peach, but in blue. Remove Peach's personality, though. There you go, new character!

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
He has just become a pure IP that can be tossed in to any situation, dressed up in any way, play any sport, use any powerup, but still generally is supposed to look like a plumber from Brooklyn.
"Has become"? Nintendo's been doing what you described to Mario since the 80's and they retcon the Brooklyn origin since the 90's.

This is how Rosalina came to be: Let's clone Peach, but in blue. Remove Peach's personality, though. There you go, new character!
What personality?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Being a great baker of cakes, an intense lack of consideration for security in her castle (leading to her getting kidnapped all the time), and, depending on which game we're talking about, being a ditz, whimsically ignorant of her surroundings, and overly emotional.

Rodento

Dec 28, 2017
I actually don't like Rosalina that much, but I can get why it's a good character, and that's why Baby Rosalina feels basically like an insult to what it mades her special as a Mario character.

Also, Daisy and his baby counterpart feels very cringey.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Lol at people saying Icon Daisy and the amazing Waluigi when trash like Toad is cloned 10000 times and shoved down our throats at any and all opportunity.
Toad is amazing, shut your mouth.

Daisy is a waste of space, Waluigi and Wario are the most annoying.

I also don't like the Broodals at all.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Being a great baker of cakes, an intense lack of consideration for security in her castle (leading to her getting kidnapped all the time), and, depending on which game we're talking about, being a ditz, whimsically ignorant of her surroundings, and overly emotional.

She's skilled in parasol combat training though.

Pacify

Oct 30, 2017
It's Daisy. I can never view her as anything more than a palette swap. It baffles me whenever someone bashes Waluigi but somehow their favorite character is Daisy.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Any of the babies beside Baby Mario and Luigi.

Baby Daisy was TOO MUCH

300px-rosalina_mp10x3rsu.png

Rosalina easily takes the cake as the worst Mario character. She's a princess that has been handed the world despite doing not much of anything deserving of it.
While poor Daisy and Waluigi have to claw their way for representation in other mario games. Rosalina being able to get into games so easily because she
has some hair that covers her eye is just disheartening.
I hope they never make another Dino Crisis.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
It makes me sad the character mentioned by OP was Daisy.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I personally love Daisy, Waluigi, Toadette, etc. I've always kinda liked the weird and forgotten characters.

Piantas are horrible though. Their design is just gross.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I kind of understand the metal versions of characters. Mario and Peach are by far the most popular characters from either sex, so making a low-effort heavy weight version doesn't seem particularly surprising. The same can be said about the Baby versions to create light weight variations, and though they are a bit more effort, they are not much more effort than the metal palette swaps, since the models are tiny and barely have any limbs to rig, plus some of them have dummies so they don't even have facial expressions to animate.

If anything, Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach are worse. Paid DLC characters that are literally just Mario and Peach in a fursuit. There isn't even any sort of different stats like Metal/Baby versions have.

That said, I feel like Nintendo is acting way too much as if these characters are anything more than cheap roster padding. Like, they revealed Pink Gold Peach as if she was some super amazing character addition. That's why these low effort padding editions are so hated. That and the baby characters being pretty annoying too. At least Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach are inoffensive.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Look, all I'm saying is, if Nintendo doesn't think I should care about certain Mario character then I'm not going to care about them.

Waluigi and Daisy are clearly so low on the Mario totem poll that they can't get into mainline games as anything more than costumes for Mario, so it's quite apparent that Nintendo thinks they don't actually matter.

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
latest
Yoshi. He is just butt ugly, and he either acts all babby like and actually has no real personality other than eating fruit. Don't get why he is so popular...still salty at how much love he gets!

How many times have Daisy saved you when you were about to die, due to the lack of jump?

Checkmate.
Yoshi-1, Daisy-0

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What little she has, dwarves Rosalina's.

Peach's biggest moment of characterization in a main series game is showing some independence as a person by rejecting Mario and Bowser at the end of Odyssey and taking a vacation. Prior to this, it was being legitimately surprised and not outright denying Bowser Jr's claim that she was his mother. Admittedly, she gets better personality in the RPGs.

Rosalina, on the other hand, was an adventurous child, who eventually had to come to terms with her mother's death, and overcomes her grief by becoming the surrogate mother of the Lumas, and is best described as mysterious and motherly by the time we meet her. That's good characterization.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Peach is the worst, stealing Pauline's rightful place in Mario history. No character has committed a worse crime than forcing Pauline to spend years in the hell known as Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
Daisy. Always found her obnoxious. Waluigi isn't much better, but at least he's become a meme now. Daisy doesn't even have that going for her.

Also, shame on everyone who said Rosalina. I'm still happy she made playable status in a mainline Mario game and got into Smash, which is more than Daisy can ever say. Even Waluigi got into Smash as an assist trophy, lmao

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't get Wailugi being uninspired design-wise. He's distinct from Mario bros or Wario, and he has a personality all his own.

What is Waluigi's personality? I honestly couldn't tell a thing about him if asked, although to be fair he's rarely featured outside sports games so there's not exacly a lot of material to develop him from...

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Oh my God I forgot about Starlow.

I change my answer. Fuck Starlow. It's completely unnecessary to have a navi character in the M&L games. Super Star Saga was just fine.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is Waluigi's personality? I honestly couldn't tell a thing about him if asked, although to be fair he's rarely featured outside sports games so there's not exacly a lot of material to develop him from...

He's cocky and overconfident, a cheater and sore loser, likes to show off. I guess he also likes eggplants. That's about it?
I mean, a lot of his personality comes from the animations and a few voicelines he has been given in various sports games.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Charles Martinet, voice of Waluigi (and Mario) says he sees Waluigi as someone who thinks everything and everyone is out to get him and is cheating to get to where they are, and he's a pragmatic hero in his own eyes who has to cheat just to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.