• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have you guys finished area 30 in Mario Run (Basically level 101)? If you did then you could unlock Daisy and try her out there. She can jump twice. It might sound lame in theory but in practice it works extremely well in the airship levels, where you can just hop on cannons and enemies non-stop.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The baby fillers are the clear winners.

But taking the usual suspects into account that usually end up Mario Partying/golfing/Tennis...ing.
Waluigi and Daisy are both as flavourless as each other.
Though I'll take Daisy over Peach purely over superior colour of dress and hair, shame they deliberately went back to make her design more pallet swap Peach.
Waluigi meanwhile is like an ascended meme, who lets face it, isn't even the best gangly oddball character meme among nintendo characters in a world where Lanky Kong exists.

Though really the main problem for these two, is never getting a chance outside spinoffs.
So when it comes down to it, the worst Mario character who actually gets dialogue and such...

130px-Starlow_-_MarioLuigi-PaperJam.png

Eff you chippy/Starlow
(and stuffwell while I'm at it)

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE="

yoshi-artwork-mad.jpg

You know what, I'll throw myself to the fire and agree. He went from being my main on SNES Mario Kart to being annoying as fuck every since they gave him a voice. If he had just stayed mute or had given him dinosaur voices or something it wouldn't be so bad but from playing so much Smash over the years and each installment, If I ever hear "BADING-POP!!" again I'm going to raise ALL Nifleheim

I actually like Yoshi, I was responding to someone saying he's the worst Mario character

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
There's very few Mario characters I actively dislike. At worst I typically just feel nothing about them.

Though I do genuinely dislike all the baby characters, they feel weirdly slapstick and out of place for Mario games in my opinion.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Waluigi and Daisy are both as flavourless as each other.

Err, what? Daisy has flavour to her. Sparkly orange...mmm. Even when she makes mixtapes, she adds a bit of pep to them. Can't see Rosalina do this.

While Peach seems to strut around, unsure about running with heels, Daisy just embraces it and pushes forward.

Pl6ouuV.png

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario.
All of the characters in the franchise are terrible, but you see him the most by far, so he wins by default.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Though really the main problem for these two, is never getting a chance outside spinoffs.
So when it comes down to it, the worst Mario character who actually gets dialogue and such...

130px-Starlow_-_MarioLuigi-PaperJam.png

Eff you chippy/Starlow
(and stuffwell while I'm at it)

It's absolutely Starlow. Not even because she's a generic tutorial fairy, but because she contributes absolutely nothing to the team, yet still needlessly gives Luigi shit at every opportunity she gets. Luigi ain't got dick to prove to Starlow

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with all of you picking Yoshi, Luigi, Rosalina. They have at least representation; somewhat of a character.

Koopa Kid on the other hand has no right being near any game:
latest

Yeah this is a real contender for worst character, so utterly pointless and confusing. I really don't like the Koopalings but at least they don't look like something the devs put together in five seconds.

Personally though I kinda hate Fawful. He was fine as a secondary villain, working as the Team Rocket to Cacktella as it were, but then they tried to position him as the main villain in the third Mario & Luigi and I couldn't be more tired of the gimmick.

Fawful3.png

(Also wow has the doge meme made him age even worse)

Last edited:

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
All the babies. Yoshi's Island is a worse game for having the baby mechanic. They have flooded Mario Kart. Who likes them? Do kids like them? Do people think they're cute? I mean I like cute things. Kirby is cute. Baby Mario is not.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
To give Wario a Tennis doubles partner. It's exactly the same reason why Daisy was brought back, as Peach's doubles partner.

This seems a strange point to be hung up on in regards to character design. The literal son of Bowser looking like Bowser? No way, Jose, how can that be? Kids never look similar to their parents!
Yeah but the Koopa Kids had more unique design so I don't get why go from them to Bowser Jr

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All the babies. Yoshi's Island is a worse game for having the baby mechanic. They have flooded Mario Kart. Who likes them? Do kids like them? Do people think they're cute? I mean I like cute things. Kirby is cute. Baby Mario is not.

What, you don't find this adorably cute?

Yeah but the Koopa Kids had more unique design so I don't get why go from them to Bowser Jr

Because using one Koopaling (Koopa Kids are something different) would mean having to use all other 6, and it also would make having a recurring villain across a game much more difficult.

Oct 25, 2017
300px-rosalina_mp10x3rsu.png

Rosalina easily takes the cake as the worst Mario character. She's a princess that has been handed the world despite doing not much of anything deserving of it.
While poor Daisy and Waluigi have to claw their way for representation in other mario games. Rosalina being able to get into games so easily because she
has some hair that covers her eye is just disheartening.
What the fuck are you saying?!

All of these takes are weird.

The worst character by a mile is Birdo.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Advance basically redeems every boss from SMB2
"I'm too hot to touch!"
dananananananananananananana *repeat till boss is dead*

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Wow, the hatred for Daisy can't be real right? There's not much there to hate, I get Waluigi, but Daisy is just inoffensive.

Me personally, I dislike the babies and the metal clones. All other characters are pretty good in my opinion.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Repeating myself from the '"Endearing" Video Game Characters That You Cannot Stand' thread.
I'm fed up with Luigi's twee underdog bullshit. Any of the games that bother to give him characterisation have illustrated he's a petty, shit-talking jerk. In Paper Mario he's shown to be two-faced, jealous, and lazy. In Paper Mario 2, they make him more pro-active, and he bigs himself up whenever you see him, but talking to his partners re-contextualises his account of the events, often correcting his straight-up lies. In Mario & Luigi they repeatedly show off his laziness, cowardice and general buffoonery. Partners in Time even explicitly rates the fabric of his character, and says Luigi is unworthy. Heck, Luigi's own game series is about being afraid and falling for scams that even your gran wouldn't buy.

If we needed any more proof, the alt-universe Luigis are all horrible people too. Ingo from Ocarina of Time is a back-stabbing opportunist who made a deal with Ganondorf as soon as the chance presented itself. Then you have Louie from the Pikmin series, the piece of shit thief who has no qualms to sentence others to death through his selfish actions.

It's thematically fitting the Year of Luigi was one of Nintendo's worst years, because Luigi is the worst himself.
Technically I find the babies worse, but there's a Baby Luigi, and the babies aren't actual characters, no matter how much Nintendo will try to tell you otherwise.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
The Baby/costume/metal/Bone versions of characters are a waste of space.

Then comes King Boo and Petty Piranha.

People hating on Waluigi and Daisy as if any other characters in that universe have intersting personalities.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Any of the baby counterparts. Can't stand them. If Nintendo released MK9 and it was just MK8D without baby characters I'd probably still buy it

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah okay, this is objectively it. Baby Mario literally has no purpose other than to be annoying, lol. He needs to be scrubbed out of the extended Mario sports cast.

For those somehow saying Waluigi: please allow me the chance to change your mind.
Waluigi is by far the best recurring character in the Mario franchise, and quite possibly one of the best in Nintendo's storied history. I can think of at least 20 reasons why. And, in fact, I will list them for you.

1. Waluigi was Wario's first friend and partner.
  2. Waluigi wears purple, which is the color of royalty and defines him as a man of majesty and power.
  3. Waluigi's hat is inscribed with the Greek letter gamma, showing he is a classy intellectual to whom Homer and Plato are second nature.
  4. Waluigi's name is a clever pun.
  5. Waluigi owns his own island, which is a pinnacle of industry and clever traps to ward off intruders.
  6. Waluigi will stomp you down and knock your lights out with a tennis racket.
  7. Waluigi's Skill and Technique are unmatched.
  8. Waluigi is a full boss with a speaking role in a MAJOR Mario spinoff.
  9. "Waluigi Pinball" is an absolute BANGER.
  10. Waluigi is a sensitive romantic who can always be seen with a rose.
  11. Waluigi isn't afraid to celebrate dirty.
  12. Waluigi is a classically trained dramatic actor.
  13. Waluigi can ballet better than Natalie Portman.
  14. Waluigi is perfectly coifed.
  15. Waluigi is the embodiment of postmodern materialism, the liberated self-reclamation of LGBT stereotypes, and the final collapse of capitalism.
  16. Waluigi was the heart and soul of a beloved webcomic that ran for over six years.
  17. A sexy pinup of Waluigi sold out within hours of going on sale at MAGFest.
  18. Polygon hosted a 12 hour livestream of lofi mixed with Waluigi that garned over 100,000 views.
  19. Waluigi blew Wario Land out of the water with his debut platformer Psycho Waluigi.
  20. And of course, how could anyone ever forget Waluigi's Taco Stand.

Last edited:

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I like them all. I guess I don't like the star thing that follows you around in the last three Mario Luigi games

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bowser Jr. we already had the Koopalings. They're more interesting and better designed.

And if it counts - baby Mario.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Have you guys finished area 30 in Mario Run (Basically level 101)? If you did then you could unlock Daisy and try her out there. She can jump twice. It might sound lame in theory but in practice it works extremely well in the airship levels, where you can just hop on cannons and enemies non-stop.
It's too much of an effort tbh. I wouldn't get to Area 30 even if it were an actual good character

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I think Mario himself is the worst Mario character. He has nothing going for him other than being a gaming icon.

Oct 25, 2017
NC
Waluigi is straight swamp ass. Wario is way better than him. Actually, any other character in the Mario series is better than that lanky bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.