• A New Aegis Among Us

Votes: 18 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
There's only one Gen VIII Pokemon I'll accept. (well ok there's actually several I'd accept but this one's at the top of the list)

tenor.gif

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
If we're getting a Pokemon it's absolutely gonna be Cinderace. I'd imagine more than ever TPC had more input on who should be the fighter as it's primarily decided by corporate Nintendo. So if they wanted a Smash character it would absolutely be Cinderace considering how much they've pushed the bunny bastard.

IRC Sakurai said he picked Greninja before X&Y were released, and the fact it ended up being the star of gen 6 was a coincidence. Incineroar was picked because Sakurai wanted to do a wrestling character (I'm sure Mimikyu or Lycanroc would've been the gen 7 choice if it were entirely up to the TPC).

I'm sure TPC has influence, but from previous examples the Pokémon pick largely appears to be Sakurai's decision.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
IRC Sakurai said he picked Greninja before X&Y were released, and the fact it ended up being the star of gen 6 was a coincidence. Incineroar was picked because Sakurai wanted to do a wrestling character (I'm sure Mimikyu or Lycanroc would've been the gen 7 choice if it were entirely up to the TPC).

I'm sure TPC has influence, but from previous examples the Pokémon pick largely appears to be Sakurai's decision.
That still allows a scenario where Sakurai picks Cinderace at some point in the past and TPC starts pushing it.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Sakurai doesn't really have much influence on DLC picks as he'd made clear in the past. So if anything TPC would likely have more influence then ever mainly because it's Nintendo handling the picks. So they're the ones choosing which characters to put in the Pass and I'd imagine if they'd ask TPC if they wanted a new Pokemon in Smash then TPC would likely answer Cinderace considering how much they plan to push the character.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Sakurai doesn't really have much influence on DLC picks as he'd made clear in the past. So if anything TPC would likely have more influence then ever mainly because it's Nintendo handling the picks. So they're the ones choosing which characters to put in the Pass and I'd imagine if they'd ask TPC if they wanted a new Pokemon in Smash then TPC would likely answer Cinderace considering how much they plan to push the character.
Sakurai did get to pick the ARMS character though. He considered Ninjara but went with Min Min because that's what Yabuki wanted. Seems plausible to me that Sakurai would get to pick the Pokemon if Nintendo wanted him to add one.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai did get to pick the ARMS character though. He considered Ninjara but went with Min Min because that's what Yabuki wanted. Seems plausible to me that Sakurai would get to pick the Pokemon if Nintendo wanted him to add one.
Even in this scenario he was still recommended to use Min Min so even if he ultimately settled on it he accepted input from the director of the game to include her so it's likely TPC would have similar recommendations or at least give Sakurai a limited selection and it's likely this selection would just be the fully evolved starters where it's likely he'd choose Cinderace anyway.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the CD-I, epople don't like the idea of Morshu as the next Zelda rep for some reason but he would come with some pretty good music. Lots of crossover potential

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly Gengar would be pretty sweet...a ton of folks would love that and he'd probably be unique.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'd say a Pokemon would be the least interesting option for a character at this point, but that's not entirely true...

The real least interesting option would be a Gen 1 Pokemon

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If we go by the anime the biggest Pokemon recently showcased are Lucario, Cinderace, Gengar, Dragonite, Galar Farfetch'd, Sobble, Dracovish (though far more recently than the others), and Zarude, cuz the movie.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one here that genuinely liked Byleth's addition without reservation?

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
the backlash would be almost as big as byleth, and if it a gen 8 one thank to the dexxers even worse

I don't think the backlash would be that big. Byleth had a lot of things going against them when they were revealed – the last DLC character in pack one, "another anime swordsman", "another blue haired Fire Emblem character," comments, generally considered an underwhelming pick even among Three Houses fans, and so on.

So unless it's a controversial gen 8 pick like Cinderace, I don't see a Pokemon pick causing bashlash as much as indifference. Pokemon is hugely popular, and the possibility of a Pokemon character being a DLC pick was always there. So i think the general response might be "underwhelmed or disappointed, but understandable."

I feel Rex and Pyra would be the Byleth level backlash choice over, say, Toxicitricty.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one here that genuinely liked Byleth's addition without reservation?
Honestly I also did unironically want Byleth but part of the reason I was happy to see them was because I knew they make people mad. I wasn't that attached to the character either so it just made it extra funny to see people cursing them out just for showing up in Smash

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I feel Rex and Pyra would be the Byleth level backlash choice than, say, Toxicitricty.
why they are from a series that has one rep in smash and have been one of the most requested dlc characters since the dlc announcement. to the point they are still in the top 5-10 most wanted characters last i checked, not like pokemon with 10 reps coming from a gen that saying it's divisive is the most you can say about it's reception, they would not nearly be received as half as bad as pokemon

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the last character I genuinely liked without reservation was Min Min

although I guess "not liking ARMS" is sort of a reservation, so maybe Terry was the last one

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
just made a new poll for yall to vote.

And it would be nice if you share the details if you think it's Nintendo and which franchise would it be? Or third party, which characters?!

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
If it is Toxitricity how do you the two forms would be incorporated?

Alt costumes, probably?

There's little mechanical difference between them in-game. IIRC the only change is the last move they learn, and one ability out of three, so I wouldn't see the need to differentiate them in Smash.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like regardless of the high amount of FE characters in Smash versus Pokemon, it's less whether or not those series are good/popular and more whether or not they are within the Smash playerbase.

Fire Emblem has been a consistent success since Awakening and Pokemon is the biggest multimedia franchise on the planet, but this is a fandom where the "stars" (and please note the quote marks) for the diehard fandom are like, Waluigi, Geno and Isaac.

It's kinda like Marvel vs. Capcom and how the last game had no X-Men. Captain Marvel and Black Panther were just in billion dollar films, but the diehards for Marvel vs. Capcom, not Marvel or Capcom individually but the MvC series itself, are enamored with Cable, Sentinel, and a hyperspecific version of Magneto who can shoot lasers as long as he says "magnetic" before doing so. That's just what they want.

Now obviously it's stupid to make major decisions based on diehards, which is why you got Banjo-Kazooie along the way to Steve and everyone else was a character that someone wouldn't really know they wanted until they heard them coming or saw them in action, and I think from there the best case scenario is for a non-believer to be wowed, like how Terry went from a Literal Who overshadowed by a meme skeleton costume to one of Ultimate's most beloved new additions.

Which brings me back to FE and Pokemon, and with them I think everyone already knows how they feel about them. There are a huge amount of them already in Smash so even if the characters play differently like the Pokemon do, there's this sense of getting something you already have.

Fire Emblem only really rising to major tentpole stardom the last few years probably contributes to the continued disinterest (and "blue haired anime swordsman" has already become entrenched in Smash discourse), but I think with FE and Pokemon in particular Nintendo sees much more value in selling the characters to the Smash audience confident that for whatever the diehards will say there will be hundreds of thousands more potential buyers who want a new Pokemon.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I keep having to remind myself that we're not just getting a Smash reveal today, regardless of who gets in, we're still getting a whole-ass Direct along with it.

After this past year, it just feels surreal

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
as much as I love Smash, Directs are all about the Other Stuff for me

please give me some good Other Stuff, bintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.