• A New Aegis Among Us

Votes: 18 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

shenkiji

Feb 13, 2021
I've seen some folks use the word "inevitable" when describing characters for Smash. Personally, I think it's a little goofy to say a character is inevitable considering there's no pattern to who gets in. What do you guys think?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm fresh out of predictions at this point.

Just gonna continue to assume it's Cinderace so I be pleasantly surprised if it's not.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The ultimate fan rule is "Anything Sakurai said ten or more years ago still holds true now, because no one ever changes their mind about anything."

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I've seen some folks use the word "inevitable" when describing characters for Smash. Personally, I think it's a little goofy to say a character is inevitable considering there's no pattern to who gets in. What do you guys think?
There are only a select few characters who I'd describe as inevitable. First was Inkling for Ultimate's base roster, now it's Ring Fit Trainee for the next Smash game's base roster. I personally wouldn't use that term for anyone regarding FP2.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only inevitability with Smash characters are that they originate from a game/game console

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Still, this fan rule doesn't have much of a leg to stand on when it has been historically busted. If it could happen before, it can happen again.
In the most theoretical sense, sure.
It's usually a joke, I think.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Monster Hunter is next DLC, guaranteed [Analysis] - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on the Nintendo Switch, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "Monster Hunter is next DLC, guaranteed [Analysis]".

Huh..a least this poster justified their reasoning
I'll never understand why people keep think MH is going to get a character. Rathalos was a boss and there was an entire MH area in World of Light...why wouldn't they have just had the character in the base game?

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
Hoping for a 3rd party like Crash or Hayabusa but I will be happy with literally anything that isn't a Pokemon.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Monster Hunter is next DLC, guaranteed [Analysis] - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on the Nintendo Switch, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "Monster Hunter is next DLC, guaranteed [Analysis]".

Huh..a least this poster justified their reasoning

Yeah don't take this the wrong way but I kinda wanna tell you too: if you do happen to find a credible leak of today's content please don't post it here without explicitly saying that it's a leak and who's giving it, and then hiding it under the spoiler tag.

You're not being evil or anything it's just that we rush to share this stuff sometimes without thinking that someone else would really rather go in blind.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everything in that post is just talking points we've spent the better last few years pointing out anyway.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we really don't need to share every rando's "guaranteed prediction" between now and the Direct here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah don't take this the wrong way but I kinda wanna tell you too: if you do happen to find a credible leak of today's content please don't post it here without explicitly saying that it's a leak and who's giving it, and then hiding it under the spoiler tag.

You're not being evil or anything it's just that we rush to share this stuff sometimes without thinking that someone else would really rather go in blind.
100% understandable and i will do that if it is leaked beforehand

Feb 5, 2018
Would be cool if they did 2 again, like for Hero/Banjo. Its a pretty long direct so I can see it but it would be pretty nuts if they manged to show gameplay of the 5th character this far since we have the rest of the year. Still hoping they do a FP3. Not because they "should" or need to, but because this is the only time they will ever be able to top themselves on character crossovers. Another set of 3 or 4 would be perfect t imo

Hell, another 4 after these 3 gives us a perfect rectangle character select, not like it matters though

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Would be cool if they did 2 again, like for Hero/Banjo. Its a pretty long direct so I can see it but it would be pretty nuts if they manged to show gameplay of the 5th character this far since we have the rest of the year. Still hoping they do a FP3. Not because they "should" or need to, but because this is the only time they will ever be able to top themselves on character crossovers. Another set of 3 or 4 would be perfect t imo

Hell, another 4 after these 3 gives us a perfect rectangle character select, not like it matters though
I don't think that's very likely personally but it depends on who it is - like in a hypothetical suitation if Crash was next and Spyro was after him - i could see the two being revealed together.

Dustlander

Dec 25, 2017
Brazil
What gets me is that before Steve and Sephiroth you already saw a lot of these same predictions (Ryu Hayabusa/Monster Hunter/a Pokémon/Rex & Pyra etc), but hardly any one mentioned either of them. Minecraft was supposedly dead and burried when Banjo got in (even though that was an entirely different pass, but sure), and a lot still believed on the "no unique secondary characters from the same third party franchise" rule before Sephiroth.

This could be an "expected" pick like Pokémon or Monster Hunter, but it could very well be a curveball as well for a third time. Smash is like the last series I would say anything is inevitable.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
May as well go with safe picks for today:

1) Crash Bandicoot
2) Rex
3) Ryu Hayabusa

Rex's Mii Costume hurts his chances, sure, but Xenoblade 2's just too good to pass up -- time for the representation it deserves!

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
What are your first party rep predictions?
I'm not too sure if one would work.
  • Moderate franchises are understood to lack market appeal, though they have moveset potential
  • As mopinks noted recently in regards to Mario party, Nintendo may think Mario audiences don't grok paid DLC too well, also PP
  • Fire Emblem? Again? Already?
  • Nintendo adds paid DLC to LoZ stuff so far, but Sakurai apparently thinks LoZ is fine already
  • Pokemon could work, if you disregard this thread's apathy on Cinderace. Interestingly, the last game is the first mainline one with big paid DLC, so that could be probing the audience.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
SmashEra, even successful Comic writers write Smash trailer fan fiction. Don't ever feel bad for enjoying writing.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
If a Pokemon happens, it will be Obstagoon.

Cinderace ain't happening.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I could see it being Cinderace. If it is we will likely know pretty early on from the trailer since they will probalby have a Stadium Battle for the intro

May 26, 2020
Yep, it's gonna be a Pokémon, coming on Pokémon day, Sakurai presentation beforehand lol, I'm already betting with my buds who deny it happening lol

Makes complete sense!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SmashEra, even successful Comic writers write Smash trailer fan fiction. Don't ever feel bad for enjoying writing.

Ian Flynn lived what every fan wishes they could.

He bugged Archie enough to give him a job and through a massive coincidence ended up the lead writer on his favourite childhood comic about one his favourite characters, and then this massively paid off because this one fan who thought he was hot shit actually turned out to be good at writing comics.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
If we have to discuss Cinderace, let's discuss it in relation to its local competition first. That's right. Which would you choose? Cinderace? Raboot? Or Scorbunny?

Woylie

May 9, 2018
My kind of weird non-Cinderace choice for a new Pokemon rep would be Eevee. Pokemon has an anniversary this year, so they could justify it with Eevee being one of the first gen's breakout stars, especially after it recently gained more relevance with Let's Go. The Eeveelutions have been so consistently beloved throughout the series that it's sort of surprising they haven't had more representation in Smash.

The way I see Eevee's evolution mechanic working, is building off the work they did with Steve's mining. They already set elements for all of the terrain in every stage, so Eevee could evolve based on what type of terrain it's currently standing on, and remain in that form for the rest of the stock. Once you've been KO'd, you start your next stock with a fresh Eevee. For example, if you're fighting on the Summit stage from Ice Climber, Eevee could evolve into Glaceon while it's standing on the ice, or Vaporeon while it's swimming in the water. On Magicant, Eevee could evolve into Sylveon while standing on the pink clouds, or Leafeon while standing on Dungeon Man's head. Evolution would probably be a meter you need to charge and then press down-B. I guess the idea is sort of like the Geomancer class from Final Fantasy, mixed with the mechanic of having Eevee evolve near a mossy or icy rock in Pokemon.

I feel like, they did all that work for Steve, so why not put it to use implementing one of the most widely beloved evolutionary lines of Pokemon?

Or they could just do Cinderace with a flaming soccer ball, which feels a lot more likely, lol.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
My kind of weird non-Cinderace choice for a new Pokemon rep would be Eevee. Pokemon has an anniversary this year, so they could justify it with Eevee being one of the first gen's breakout stars, especially after it recently gained more relevance with Let's Go. The Eeveelutions have been so consistently beloved throughout the series that it's sort of surprising they haven't had more representation in Smash.

The way I see Eevee's evolution mechanic working, is building off the work they did with Steve's mining. They already set elements for all of the terrain in every stage, so Eevee could evolve based on what type of terrain it's currently standing on, and remain in that form for the rest of the stock. Once you've been KO'd, you start your next stock with a fresh Eevee. For example, if you're fighting on the Summit stage from Ice Climber, Eevee could evolve into Glaceon while it's standing on the ice, or Vaporeon while it's swimming in the water. On Magicant, Eevee could evolve into Sylveon while standing on the pink clouds, or Leafeon while standing on Dungeon Man's head. Evolution would probably be a meter you need to charge and then press down-B.

I feel like, they did all that work for Steve, so why not put it to use implementing one of the most widely beloved evolutionary lines of Pokemon?

Or they could just do Cinderace with a flaming soccer ball, which feels a lot more likely, lol.

Eevee is my dream choice for a Pokemon newcomer, but everyone in this thread is convinced it NEEDS to be a Gen 8 mon.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If we're getting a Pokemon it's absolutely gonna be Cinderace. I'd imagine more than ever TPC had more input on who should be the fighter as it's primarily decided by corporate Nintendo. So if they wanted a Smash character it would absolutely be Cinderace considering how much they've pushed the bunny bastard.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the Smash Team being particularly enthused by a gen VIII pick at this point in time, thankfully so I don't think we have to worry too much about one showing up

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People are really convinced a Pokemon is coming this Fighter Pass, huh? I swear I remember the same confidence in a Pokemon the last two go-arounds. Can't say I share it.

Because it's clearly going to be a Bamco character

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
People are really convinced a Pokemon is coming this Fighter Pass, huh? I swear I remember the same confidence in a Pokemon the last two go-arounds. Can't say I share it.

Because it's clearly going to be a Bamco character

Agumon approaches.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the Smash Team being particularly enthused by a gen VIII pick at this point in time, thankfully so I don't think we have to worry too much about one showing up
I don't think Nintendo cares if the Smash Team necessarily wants it. If they feel like there's an opportunity to be made with putting in a new Pokemon then they'd do it.

However the question then becomes if Nintendo or TPC even want it. Knowing TPC they'd for sure want a Gen 8 Pokemon to be out much sooner and Min Min's slot would've been perfect. They could've been able to do the same teaser as they did with ARMS, would've been right after Sword and Shield had come out so it'd be relevant, and even the release of the character would've coincided with the first pack of DLC. Instead they went with a character from a single game that's already been out for 3 years and didn't have post launch support.

So I'm struggling to see the benefit of including a Pokemon in 2021 compared to 2020 and that's also not getting into the Sword and Shield spirit event that already happened. There's probably a case to be made that Nintendo wants to use the DLC to spotlight smaller franchises such as FE and ARMS and so that's why our Nintendo DLC has been primarily been a character from a recently released FE game and ARMS. Of course that could be me BSing a justification it could be Rex but even putting aside that I'm just not seeing the benefit of putting in a new Pokemon a year after it'd be ideal to do it.

Dec 30, 2020
Honestly seeing all the Pokemon on one side peering across at all of the Digimon on the other side would be something special.

My friend asked something that shook me: "If Crash gets in, do you think he, Banjo, and Sonic will greet one another by touching their noses together?"

Status
Not open for further replies.