• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Practical brush the monster hunter rise leaker apparently working on getting info on the next character. He previously leaked Byleth and Steve. Not really a warning since he'll probably leak it 10 min before reveal but yeah

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want to believe we're going to get some weird stuff again

8ed.gif
Tomodachi Life for Switch pls.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Practical brush the monster hunter rise leaker apparently working on getting info on the next character. He previously leaked Byleth and Steve. Not really a warning since he'll probably leak it 10 min before reveal but yeah

"Leak" in that he gets info from someone with an official press release and doesn't care about waiting.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I preferred Miitopia to Tomodachi Life myself.

Though what I'd really want is a mix of the two - the adventure of Miitopia, but the the weird interactivity of Tomodachi Life during the downtime parts like the inn and towns.

Bonus wisj - with the release of anything resembling either of these titles, a better way to share Miis with each other.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The Virtual Boy, unlike many of its brethren, does have the honour of appearing in a Smash stage thanks to Gamer.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I preferred Miitopia to Tomodachi Life myself.

Though what I'd really want is a mix of the two - the adventure of Miitopia, but the the weird interactivity of Tomodachi Life during the downtime parts like the inn and towns.

Bonus wisj - with the release of anything resembling either of these titles, a better way to share Miis with each other.
What hurt Miitopia for me was the lack of quirky text-to-speech voices. That really made Tomodachi Life the most enjoyable in the unintentionally funny way they say things.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
What hurt Miitopia for me was the lack of quirky text-to-speech voices. That really made Tomodachi Life the most enjoyable in the unintentionally funny way they say things.
That was a shame to. Can only guess they didn't want you to have to adjust the voice settings for every single NPC in the game.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Ah, remember when the most people were expecting this month was Pokemon and maybe a Zelda presentation?

I was so naive

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
Good morning! I watched Avengers Endgame and it ended 4AM in my timezone.. now I woke up with a heavy headache.

Hope we get something incredible in the Direct, because my day didn't start great 🐺 💫
Uff... I love Endgame but I won't ever recommend it for a late night viewing, unless you can awake late the next day.

Hopefully your day will improve.

Ah, remember when the most people were expecting this month was Pokemon and maybe a Zelda presentation?

I was so naive
To be fair, it was not an unreasonable assumption considering the months of radio silence, mini directs and single social media announcements.

Something come up or is this based on Zhuge spoiling Steve?
Someone brought up this person on reddit who leaked things about Steve and other characters shortly before their reveal.

Which reminds me: I'm going to be out of thread for the rest of the day. Not only because I want to avoid spoilers, but primarily because I won't be able to focus on work until the Direct otherwise.

See you all on the other side.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Aight I'm just gonna ask that if this does leak in advance that it not be thrown up in this thread with no warning. No "Monster Hunter Leaker has now leaked Character X!" or "oh boy..." and then embedding a context-less tweet.

I wont be here for the reveal until after an hour but if it does leak I promise not to post it here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wont be here for the reveal until after an hour but if it does leak I promise not to post it here.

Yeah no it's not laser focused on you specifically, I'm saying it to everyone here. God forbid it leaks then just tag your spoilers and be clear that you're talking about a credible leaker we have reason to believe could accurately be telling us the next character.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
power came back on, i just hope I am able to have it for the Nintendo Direct
Power went out for a split second, but I didn't notice originally since I was on my phone. It kinda scared me since the internet went out for a few minutes before returning (though in retrospect, the green light should have tipped me off that the modem was rebooting).

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Are there even any fan rules left?

Are there any rules left at all besides "must have originated as a game-related character"?
Just post-launch spirit events & assist trophies. Also, another rule established by Sakurai post-Lucas is the need for international presence (Ex: Scorpion is a non-entity in Japan).

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mentally catching up with the thread.

I never understood where the whole "McDonald's breakfast menu da best" meme came from, it always befuddled me, especially in person (since internet's opinions can be blamed on international differences, veggies selection in Polish instances of Subway beats Anglophone ones' one easily, for example). Today we had eggs for dinner and I may have connected the dots. Is it eggs? I think it's eggs. I don't like eggs and stuff with a lot of eggs too much. I haven't tried out Epic Games Store though. Erm.

Eggman for Smash.

Dustlander

Dec 25, 2017
Brazil
Well, there's the spirit one.
Some also try to insist on no Japanese only characters despite this having been broken twice.

Didn't Sakurai comment that he wouldn't have added Lucas to Brawl if he knew Mother 3 was going to be Japan exclusive?

Plus the whole thing about wanting Marth and Roy to be exclusive to Japanese Melee until NoA specifically asked for them to be kept in the game.

This seems less like a fan rule and more like a natural line of thinking of wanting new Smash characters to have at least somewhat of a global presence, specially as DLC since they are sold separately.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
We getting Smash at:

1. Beginning of Direct
2. End of Direct
3. Both
4. Middle

What's your call?

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
This seems less like a fan rule and more like a natural line of thinking of wanting new Smash characters to have at least somewhat of a global presence, specially as DLC since they are sold separately.
This may surprise you, but most Smash fan rules came from attempts at logic, so that wouldn't be contradictory.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
My final prediction before I duck out: the character will be one of

1) A smaller third-party character
2) A first-party character which ISN'T a Pokemon
3) Crash

And will be revealed somewhere in the middle. I'll say it outright, I think a Pokemon will only be chosen if Nintendo doesn't have any other third-party or first-party franchise that they want or are able to promote. Or if Nintendo thinks the Fighters Pass needs the popularity boost, but I'm skeptical after the 1-2 of Steve and Sephiroth.

We'll also get confirmation if there'll be an FP3 or if this is it.

(With my track record in this community so far, this means a Pokemon's inevitable)

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
spirit rule is gonna get trashed tonight after Pokémon is revealed and then the last rule will be Mii Costume which Travis will also destroy, obviously

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For the record my dental appointment rule is still going strong unless they pull another Min Min
We getting Smash at:

1. Beginning of Direct
2. End of Direct
3. Both
4. Middle

What's your call?
Since they already announced that it will be there Smash will show up somewhere in the first half, if not at the very beginning. There's little sense in holding something that everyone knows will be there until the back half especially since it's the only thing that was named outright. The only way it will end up is if the reveal is tied into some new game, like they did with Isabelle 2.5 years ago, but even then they didn't list Smash as being something that would appear in the direct.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Sakurai comment that he wouldn't have added Lucas to Brawl if he knew Mother 3 was going to be Japan exclusive?

Plus the whole thing about wanting Marth and Roy to be exclusive to Japanese Melee until NoA specifically asked for them to be kept in the game.

The original intention was for Lucas to replace Ness, so it would have been a bit awkward to cut a character semi known internationally (at this point Earthbound had still never been released in Europe, so even he has some region exclusivity) with one that had their Western release cancelled.

That and the world is far more connected now. Very few characters who are prominent to be discussed for Smash are only known in one region.

Still, this fan rule doesn't have much of a leg to stand on when it has been historically busted. If it could happen before, it can happen again.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
For my last prediction before the direct, I'm going to go big, black jack or bust.

- Character at beginning of direct, more Smash news later in direct.
- Character will be a third party character but less of a big deal than Sephiroth or Steve.
- We're finally getting costume DLC.
- Fighter Pass 3 or Echo Pass will be announced.

Dustlander

Dec 25, 2017
Brazil
The original intention was for Lucas to replace Ness, so it would have been a bit awkward to cut a character semi known internationally (at this point Earthbound had still never been released in Europe, so even he has some region exclusivity) with one that had their Western release cancelled.

That and the world is far more connected now. Very few characters who are prominent to be discussed for Smash are only known in one region.

Still, this fan rule doesn't have much of a leg to stand on when it has been historically busted. If it could happen before, it can happen again.

Honestly, I have a hard time even thinking about characters that are region exclusive that could be included. It seems like even the most impossibly niche stuff gets localized these days, so it could only happen if it's a deep cut from the past like Doshin or something.

I don't have any attachment to this rule either way, and would find cool to see some of these weird picks should they happen, but I still believe that as DLC they are almost impossible. Characters from popular, yet niche (by comparison) series like Persona, Dragon Quest and Fatal Fury/KoF already evoke knee-jerk responses by the community, imagine someone region-exclusive from a 20+ years old game.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Well, there's the spirit one.
Some also try to insist on no Japanese only characters despite this having been broken twice.
Sakurai straight-up said that Lucas wouldn't have gotten in if he knew that Mother 3 wasn't gonna get localized. Likewise, it was NoA that pushed Sakurai to keep Marth & Roy in all versions of the game. Post-Lucas, every character he's included has had some sort of global presence.

If we do get a low key third party charcter...is it bad i would lean towards Hayabusa?
Someone along the lines of him or Sol Badguy, yeah.

Honestly, I have a hard time even thinking about characters that are region exclusive that could be included. It seems like even the most impossibly niche stuff gets localized these days, so it could only happen if it's a deep cut from the past like Doshin or something.

I don't have any attachment to this rule either way, and would find cool to see some of these weird picks should they happen, but I still believe that as DLC they are almost impossible. Characters from popular, yet niche (by comparison) series like Persona, Dragon Quest and Fatal Fury/KoF already evoke knee-jerk responses by the community, imagine someone region-exclusive from a 20+ years old game.
Mortal Kombat is the big one, as it's outright banned in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.