lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
As much as I love Yuzo Koshiro's work, I freaked out when I heard Olivier Deriviere was actually doing the majority of the tracks. I absolutely LOVE his work.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Yuzo Koshiro's work, I freaked out when I heard Olivier Deriviere was actually doing the majority of the tracks. I absolutely LOVE his work.

Pretty much the exact opposite, I totally checked out. Was unsure if I was going to buy the game before, but I was certainly hyped for the soundtrack cd. :(

It also soured me on lizardcube entirely, because they got press a year ago out of announcing the lineup of all-star JP composers (which I was already worried was too many composers, leaving little room for Koshiro tracks) and now they're relegated to the sidelines

I don't care about this guy or any of the games he's worked on in the past. If they'd announced this a year ago then I could have happily just ignored this entirely. I'm not going to post in this thread anymore because I'll just be spreading negativity at this point. :/

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Pretty much the exact opposite, I totally checked out. Was unsure if I was going to buy the game before, but I was certainly hyped for the soundtrack cd. :(

It also soured me on lizardcube entirely, because they got press a year ago out of announcing the lineup of all-star JP composers (which I was already worried was too many composers, leaving little room for Koshiro tracks) and now they're relegated to the sidelines

I don't care about this guy or any of the games he's worked on in the past. If they'd announced this a year ago then I could have happily just ignored this entirely. I'm not going to post in this thread anymore because I'll just be spreading negativity at this point. :/

I'm with you. I'll still play the game but the soundtrack situation is a real bummer.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I have no opinions either way about the composer they picked but the messaging around the soundtrack was deliberately deceptive, and while I do understand what may have compelled them to present the information in the manner they have, I wish they'd had the guts to just announce their plans from the jump instead of the whole "we are very aware of what the fans want:))))" bullshit that they clearly didn't intend to uphold.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I'm with you. I'll still play the game but the soundtrack situation is a real bummer.
Same.

With that said, aside from the music and my gripes with the gamplay, it's the weak ass sound effects and horrible voice acting that are my biggest complaints at the moment. I'm going to either have to mute the voices, if that's an option, or pray for some mods to fix that shit.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
With 5 tracks for each both Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima. They still have a pretty sizable chunk of the 35 track soundtrack.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Streets of Rage is my favorite non-vs.mode gaming franchise of all time. I loved all three official releases (especially #2 of course), and the unofficial remake is an absolute masterpiece.

As far as SoR4 impressions go, I'm not feeling it as much at this point. For one, it is a *HUGE* let down that Max isn't in it. I didn't really realize it before the roster of this game was finalized, but I must've used him in about 80% of the thousands of hours of playtime I've put into the older releases (2, 3, and remake of course). His game flow feels so perfect for my style that it'll be tough for me to maximize enjoyment of SoR4 without him.

Moving on, the overall style of color is too bright to me for some reason. It's not awful, but it is certainly not drawing me into the world like the others did. I guess I could get used to it.

Cherry is just flat out unappealing to me in so many ways. I absolutely do not associate the electric guitar with classic SoR at all (despite a few tracks that feature it), and her entire design resolves around the instrument. She just doesn't seem to "fit" the old school roster of the franchise, IMHO.

I have no thoughts on the music since I haven't listened to what's out there, preferring to give it a fair chance by checking it out in the context of playing the final release.

In fact, I've ignored most of the media so far to keep as much of the gameplay as fresh as possible, but it looks like the juggle system will be a fun change to mess around with. Hopefully the game allows for overwhelming numbers of mobs exhibiting with what I always felt was a significant feature of the early games: effective A.I.

Each thug/boss in the old games had a distinct offensive and defensive profile which really kept you on your toes until you developed your per-character strats to deal with them. When a variety of a ton of enemies were thrown at you in Mania difficulty, the crowd control fun of being one with the game pad and your chosen hero really kicks in. Hopefully SoR4 can capture that feeling in some way, because most beat 'em ups do not.

Ultimately, while I can see myself liking SoR overall in the end once I play it for a bit, there's a chance that a beloved franchise can make such a bad turn for me that I try to erase any memory of a poor sequel. For me, examples not only include stuff in gaming like Guild Wars, but also movie releases like the sequels to The Matrix, or anything they vomited out after Aliens and Terminator 2.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
As far as SoR4 impressions go, I'm not feeling it as much at this point. For one, it is a *HUGE* let down that Max isn't in it. I didn't really realize it before the roster of this game was finalized, but I must've used him in about 80% of the thousands of hours of playtime I've put into the older releases (2, 3, and remake of course). His game flow feels so perfect for my style that it'll be tough for me to maximize enjoyment of SoR4 without him.

He's my favourite character to play too: grabbing enemies, jumping and slamming them to the ground over and over again never gets old!

When I was able to play it myself a lot of my worst fears were immediately confirmed: this doesn't play like SOR and it doesn't look like SOR either. While it was enjoyable, it felt deeply inauthentic and I don't think I will ever embrace it as being a legitimate part of the SOR series. Not a fan of the bait and switch with the soundtrack either.

I'm sure it will be a very good game but I wanted the Sonic Mania equivalent of SOR instead of this.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
No. Something a bit more...MEGA in scope.
It's like, ya know, they probably could have made a reversible slip for the case to swap between Mega Drive and Genesis.

TBH I'm more curious to know why the Switch case has no branding. Is there a rule about the cover branding that they're not allowed to do that with the Switch? It even has the Switch logo on there while the PS4 doesn't..

EDIT: looking at the LRG site, the Panzer Dragoon with the Saturn case is the same way. I guess Nintendo has very specific rules about packaging, even if it's a non-standard edition.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Streets of Rage is my favorite non-vs.mode gaming franchise of all time. I loved all three official releases (especially #2 of course), and the unofficial remake is an absolute masterpiece.

Moving on, the overall style of color is too bright to me for some reason. It's not awful, but it is certainly not drawing me into the world like the others did. I guess I could get used to it.

Cherry is just flat out unappealing to me in so many ways. I absolutely do not associate the electric guitar with classic SoR at all (despite a few tracks that feature it), and her entire design resolves around the instrument. She just doesn't seem to "fit" the old school roster of the franchise, IMHO.

I have no thoughts on the music since I haven't listened to what's out there, preferring to give it a fair chance by checking it out in the context of playing the final release.

In fact, I've ignored most of the media so far to keep as much of the gameplay as fresh as possible, but it looks like the juggle system will be a fun change to mess around with. Hopefully the game allows for overwhelming numbers of mobs exhibiting with what I always felt was a significant feature of the early games: effective A.I.

Each thug/boss in the old games had a distinct offensive and defensive profile which really kept you on your toes until you developed your per-character strats to deal with them. When a variety of a ton of enemies were thrown at you in Mania difficulty, the crowd control fun of being one with the game pad and your chosen hero really kicks in. Hopefully SoR4 can capture that feeling in some way, because most beat 'em ups do not.

Ultimately, while I can see myself liking SoR overall in the end once I play it for a bit, there's a chance that a beloved franchise can make such a bad turn for me that I try to erase any memory of a poor sequel. For me, examples not only include stuff in gaming like Guild Wars, but also movie releases like the sequels to The Matrix, or anything they vomited out after Aliens and Terminator 2.

Max is my main too, so I feel largely the same. I'll recommend checking out the leaked trophies though, because it seems like there might be a chance that he could be playable after all. My fingers are crossed anyway.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
It's like, ya know, they probably could have made a reversible slip for the case to swap between Mega Drive and Genesis.

TBH I'm more curious to know why the Switch case has no branding. Is there a rule about the cover branding that they're not allowed to do that with the Switch? It even has the Switch logo on there while the PS4 doesn't..

EDIT: looking at the LRG site, the Panzer Dragoon with the Saturn case is the same way. I guess Nintendo has very specific rules about packaging, even if it's a non-standard edition.
What about Sonic Mania physical with its reversible Mega Drive cover? Was that on Switch?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Switch version has the Genesis cover too. The one with the Switch logo is a slipcover

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

This is one of the silliest points I've seen made so far.
It's fine if the character design doesn't resonate with you but I don't see how she can't fit in a series that features a boxing kangaroo, a doctor with a mechanical arm and a character so flamboyantly and offensively gay he was removed from the Western release. Unless we want to pretend SoR3 doesn't exist, which it seems a lot of people do anyway

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
It's fine if the character design doesn't resonate with you but I don't see how she can't fit in a series that features a boxing kangaroo, a doctor with a mechanical arm and a character so flamboyantly and offensively gay he was removed from the Western release. Unless we want to pretend SoR3 doesn't exist, which it seems a lot of people do anyway

Pretty much. As far as new characters go, Cherry fits in the game like a boxing glove with the rest of the cast (and is honestly one of the more tamer newcomers to the series, as with the case for the boxing kangaroo Victy).

I feel fans are pulling straws at this point, as SORIV/BKIV looks to be a solid good time.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
You have your opinion, and as I said above, I have my IMHO.

What's silly to me is trying to include enemy characters that have limited move sets and must be unlocked to be playable as being equal to the actual roster of fighters. So if you need clarification, I was only comparing her to the actual hero characters available for each of the main games.

So what that said, absolutely Zan s a better fit than Cherry. He isn't wielding a stupid electric guitar... I made it clear that's what bothers me the most. If you have no problems with it, congrats. Go have a blast using her. To me, she's hot garbage.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017

What's silly to me is trying to include enemy characters that have limited move sets and must be unlocked to be playable as being equal to the actual roster of fighters. So if you need clarification, I was only comparing her to the actual hero characters available for each of the main games.

So what that said, absolutely Zan s a better fit than Cherry. He isn't wielding a stupid electric guitar... I made it clear that's what bothers me the most. If you have no problems with it, congrats. Go have a blast using her. To me, she's hot garbage.
Kind of a shame, but them's opinions. She's fun as hell to use and I'll be using her over Blaze for most of my play time.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Zan fits better cause he's a robot with shock powers? Your argument is weak. Calling a character hot garbage cause she has a guitar sounds bizarre.

I swear some folks get way too attached to their childhoods.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not even going to touch on some of these posts.

New games are one of the few good things we have to look forward to in this messed-up timeline, but apparently that's not enough for some people

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Zan fits better cause he's a robot with shock powers? Your argument is weak. Calling a character hot garbage cause she has a guitar sounds bizarre.

I swear some folks get way too attached to their childhoods.
It sounds bizarre because you are over-thinking it for some reason. My argument isn't weak, and it isn't strong either. My "argument" is simply my opinion. As a main character, I don't like Cherry because of the stupid electric guitar theme that clashes with what I enjoy about the SoR series.

I don't like chocalate cake either because it tastes bitter to me - are you going to hyper-analyze that as well?

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds bizarre because you are over-thinking it for some reason. My argument isn't weak, and it isn't strong either. My "argument" is simply my opinion. As a main character, I don't like Cherry because of the stupid electric guitar theme that clashes with what I enjoy about the SoR series.

I don't like chocalate cake either because it tastes bitter to me - are you going to hyper-analyze that as well?

Wait, you've already played SOR4? Fuck, how'd you get an early copy already?

And a guitar doesn't fit in with the series? What about a boxing kangaroo? Or a robot that zaps people?

P.S. I don't like chocolate cake either.

Last edited:

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I mean, if the game was turning out to be a piece of shit, I can understand why everyone would be upset. I would be to if Final Fight got a legitimate sequel to FF3.

But everything that I've seen is promising and previews are glowing. The development team behind this project are making a lot of good decisions for this sequel to an otherwise dormant IP. At best, most of the posts that I've seen are hilariously nit-picky.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if the game was turning out to be a piece of shit, I can understand why everyone would be upset. I would be to if Final Fight got a legitimate sequel to FF3.

But everything that I've seen is promising and previews are glowing. The development team behind this project are making a lot of good decisions for this sequel to an otherwise dormant IP. At best, most of the posts that I've seen are hilariously nit-picky.

Pretty much. Everyone is cynical as fuck.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017

Well for me, Streets of Rage Remake and Sonic Mania set the bar as to what a new entry in a beloved franchise should strive to be. For both of them, it was immediately clear that the developers were the most hardcore of hardcore fans, and that their goals were to expand and improve upon what the old games did best. They also did so in not only such meticulous detail, but they succeeded while remaining faithful to each series' foundations.

I haven't once had any of those feelings for SoR4 in regards to gameplay nor presentation. Then to top it off, we're getting "mixed messaging," to put it politely, about who actually is doing most of the music. So yeah, even with all that said, I guess SoR4 could end up being "solid," but I was hoping for way more than that.

Oh, and Skate, Dr. Zan, and Remake's Rudra are hella a lot cooler than Cherry and slow ass Floyd and his tacky Dotemu tattoo.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well for me, Streets of Rage Remake and Sonic Mania set the bar as to what a new entry in a beloved franchise should strive to be. For both of them, it was immediately clear that the developers were the most hardcore of hardcore fans, and that their goals were to expand and improve upon what the old games did best. They also did so in not only such meticulous detail, but they succeeded while remaining faithful to each series' foundations.

I haven't once had any of those feelings for SoR4 in regards to gameplay nor presentation. Then to top it off, we're getting "mixed messaging," to put it politely, about who actually is doing most of the music. So yeah, even with all that said, I guess SoR4 could end up being "solid," but I was hoping for way more than that.

Oh, and Skate, Dr. Zan, and Remake's Rudra are hella a lot cooler than Cherry and slow ass Floyd and his tacky Dotemu tattoo.

Then perhaps you're setting yourself up for disapointment if you think this was going to be another Sonic Mania situation with SOR4. Mania always felt like a special case than the status quo for hardcore retro revivals.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but did they ever confirmed that the two OG Streets of Rage composers were taking music duties for the bulk of the soundtrack? I got the air that it was either going to be a collaborative project or Oliver was going to oversee the score with Koshiro & Kawashima to supervise in spots.

I'll give you that much about boring-ass Floyd, and I sure as hell miss Dr. Zan. But I think Cherry looks badass.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Then perhaps you're setting yourself up for disapointment if you think this was going to be another Sonic Mania situation with SOR4. Mania always felt like a special case than the status quo for hardcore retro revivals.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but did they ever confirmed that the two OG Streets of Rage composers were taking music duties for the bulk of the soundtrack? I got the air that it was either going to be a collaborative project or Oliver was going to oversee the score with Koshiro & Kawashima to supervise in spots.

I'll give you that much about boring-ass Floyd, and I sure as hell miss Dr. Zan. But I think Cherry looks badass.

No I wasn't expecting Mania, that wouldn't be fair, but I did expect simple things like proper sound effects and for the gameplay to build off SoR3's rather than completely ignoring it. To me, a lot of what they're doing strikes me as if it's coming from people that only played SoR1 & 2 a couple of times 25 years ago.

In regards to the music, they made it a big ordeal about getting Yuzo Koshiro and the others, and how having Koshiro in particular was integral to the SoR experience. They never said anything about Oliver doing most of the soundtrack until that video released a few days ago. Now if they had been open about it from the start, I wouldn't have an issue, but to tell us now, right before the game comes out, puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Cherry to me is "whatever" even though I would like to see a grown up Skate more. Floyd, on the otherhand, is like if Max and Zan screwed up the fusion dance, because in theory, a character that combines both of their movesets should be awesome.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No I wasn't expecting Mania, that wouldn't be fair, but I did expect simple things like proper sound effects and for the gameplay to build off SoR3's rather than completely ignoring it. To me, a lot of what they're doing strikes me as if it's coming from people that only played SoR1 & 2 a couple of times 25 years ago.

In regards to the music, they made it a big ordeal about getting Yuzo Koshiro and the others, and how having Koshiro in particular was integral to the SoR experience. They never said anything about Oliver doing most of the soundtrack until that video released a few days ago. Now if they had been open about it from the start, I wouldn't have an issue, but to tell us now, right before the game comes out, puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Cherry to me is "whatever" even though I would like to see a grown up Skate more. Floyd, on the otherhand, is like if Max and Zan screwed up the fusion dance, because in theory, a character that combines both of their movesets should be awesome.

It sucks that Yuzo isn't the force behind the ost, but the tracks they posted on SoundCloud have been absolute bangers.

I'm just happy that someone in this world is making a new SOR.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
It sucks that Yuzo isn't the force behind the ost, but the tracks they posted on SoundCloud have been absolute bangers.

I'm just happy that someone in this world is making a new SOR.

Eh, I tried listening to them earlier, but I'd say they were mostly just ok. With the great Yuzo Koshiro returning, I was hoping for music similar to the stuff that he's been making for the wangan midnight maximum tune series.

Personally, if SEGA had pulled a Capcom and made Remake an official game, that would have been enough for me.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Wait, you've already played SOR4? Fuck, how'd you get an early copy already?

And a guitar doesn't fit in with the series? What about a boxing kangaroo? Or a robot that zaps people?

P.S. I don't like chocolate cake either.
After seeing the movie trailer for The Stand, I had no interest in seeing it despite being a fan of the book series. It's funny how previews work, huh? <EDIT: I meant to say the movie trailer for The Dark Tower instead of the mini-series for The Stand, but both of the SK adaptations looked awful.>

I already addressed Zan and the unlockable enemies above.

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Floyd I agree is a bit disappointing at least when it comes to sound design, but I love all of the other characters and I am sure he is a ton of fun too. The redesigns of Axel, Blaze and Adam are all godlike as far as I am concerned though, and I love how each of them are made even more distinct with having different contextual moves, like how Adam has Street Fighter style dashes instead of the run Blaze and Cherry have.

I am a bit of an odd one out here though perhaps, I really like the first game, consider the second a masterpiece, but think SoR3 and BKIII are hot trash. Dr Zan and Roo are super cool though, hope they are more than just cameos in the new game. I do not think the devs are outright ignoring that the game exists, but they should have at least copied how that game did special moves.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wonder what the unlockables will be. On their discord when asked, they mentioned there will be some pretty cool stuff we can unlock but wouldn't say exactly what types of things. I'm almost sure Shiva is an unlockable. It would cause riots in the street... full of rage if he weren't playable. >:D especially since he was playable in previous games!

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Eh, I tried listening to them earlier, but I'd say they were mostly just ok. With the great Yuzo Koshiro returning, I was hoping for music similar to the stuff that he's been making for the wangan midnight maximum tune series.

Personally, if SEGA had pulled a Capcom and made Remake an official game, that would have been enough for me.

Thanks for posting these links up. I know next nothing about the wangan midnight maximum series but the music is really awesome by Yuzo, as usual. Amazed how many tracks he wrote for this series and of what I've heard so far, they are right up my street (loads of 90's & 00's trance).

I'm sure the tracks he does right for SOR4 will be of the same high standard, as he's probably the best game music composer in the world. Can't wait for the SOR4 release now.