• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
for me it is often "the simpler, the better" these days. often i am sick of skilltrees, earning xp, levelling up, loot galore or long winded story heavy campaigns that turn out as a wet fart without any replayability in the end.

also, sidescrolling beat em ups are super rare these days, the best in the last years was Dragon´s Crown and that also has levels, items and stuff.

sidescrolling beat em ups were once my favourite genre back in the days, i´ve played them all and i was sad when they were practically gone.
nothing better than smashing some heads in mindlessly and destroying level interior to get powerups!

Pretty much all of this. SoR is about playing on higher difficulties and replayabiity. No filler here; just pure fun.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this game has an arcade mode with s ranks, harder difficulties and no XP/shop system tells me these guys "get" it.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
for me it is often "the simpler, the better" these days. often i am sick of skilltrees, earning xp, levelling up, loot galore or long winded story heavy campaigns that turn out as a wet fart without any replayability in the end.

also, sidescrolling beat em ups are super rare these days, the best in the last years was Dragon´s Crown and that also has levels, items and stuff.

sidescrolling beat em ups were once my favourite genre back in the days, i´ve played them all and i was sad when they were practically gone.
nothing better than smashing some heads in mindlessly and destroying level interior to get powerups!
Yep progression can easily ruin a contemporary beat em up. Getting started with new players in Phantom Breaker and Dragon's Crown is impossible unless they are willing to kill at least a couple of hours with a severely cut back move set until they earn enough xp to see what the games have to offer.

It's especially bad in games like Phantom Breaker where players literally need to quit the campaign to enter the skill tree and build out a character.

The beat em up formula was never meant to cater to this. There's plenty of value in mastering mechanics and replaying a solid campaign. Even the original Guardian Heroes got this with its start from 0 approach, requiring players to branch out and explore with every play through.

Apr 24, 2018
Day one on Gamepass and I bought a physical ps4 copy from limited run. How long does it usually take for them to send out copies?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Fuck yes to og sprites, I was looking forward to playing this on a crt since it was announced. What an incredible bonus.
sor4retronyk82.jpg

sor4retro3ltjgp.jpg

sor4retro22jj5d.jpg

The new sprites on CRT actually remind me of the way Guardian Heroes looked back in the the day.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
PC digital, Switch physical.

On one hand I dislike how LRG releases lag so far behind. On the other, I appreciate that they usually include the early patches, when applicable.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
The new sprites on CRT actually remind me of the way Guardian Heroes looked back in the the day.

Yeah same, it's interesting to compare it to the older SoR games where they go for a look that is about describing detail, rippling muscles, thick jean folds etc, whereas Guardians has this bold animation/cel look that despite using an extra tone feels simpler (Volume is still incredibly well described) which SoR4 leans towards. Not sure how I feel about the additional rim light and gradient use in SoR4 though, the rim light looks good but you need to darken the sprite to make it pop, I guess for certain levels it's fine but the gradient darkening I'm not sure about. I think the use of that technique along with some washed out background colours has contributed to the criticism that the game in places looks a bit dull.
QXGMBs9.jpg

One thing I hadn't noticed was that SoR4 doesn't use 'far limb shading', I guess with the addition of rim lights they probably felt it would be too much. Looking forward to playing this both on a CRT and an HD screen.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Day one on Gamepass and I bought a physical ps4 copy from limited run. How long does it usually take for them to send out copies?
Keep in mind that things are considerably more fucked up in the world right now, but I ordered Garegga last year as a preorder mid May. It was in my hands around the 3rd week in July.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
Don't like Adam's daughter but the new boss is a nice pastiche of Vanessa(VF) and Yoko (last bronx). Like her ! She could be my main with Adam :)