• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017

Kasur1309

Jul 22, 2020
The whole reshade thing is really a gamechanger for me.

Here an example of the title screen of FF14

3d9ff22786ebbab547f406bad3c0842d.png

Kasur1309

Jul 22, 2020
btw has anyone a tip for a fun casual racing game that works great on the deck?

I looked forexample and Forza 4 but it apparently has a lot of issues on deck.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Today i finished Headlander. It was ok platformer with interesting mechanic. I would prefer more puzzles that require body swapping mechanic than combat but it is what it is. And boy does Headlander drains battery from Steam Deck XD Also Headlander had some internal framerate lock so i could only run it at 30 or 60FPS so custom framerate option on Deck was useless.

For my next game i downloaded ReCore and it runs surprisingly great on Steam Deck. We will see how things will go when more combat intesive scenarios hit.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I got EA Play working through Lutris. Now I can use my Game Pass for EA Play titles. Here's how:

1. Open Lutris
2. Click the + in the top left of Lutris
3. Choose the first option "search the Lutris website for installers"
4. Search "EA App"
5. You will get 15 results, scroll down for "EA App 2021 Windows"
6. Click install, let it do it's thing
7. Towards the end it will launch EA Play but the box will be blank and you can't do anything. Don't fret, Just close this and it will finish.
8. Launch EA Play from Lutris menu.
9. Enjoy :)

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
Not a good Steam Deck Saturday in the SickBoy household...

With Circuit Superstars on a free weekend, I thought I'd give that a try. I was really excited about it for Deck but wasn't sure it was my cup of tea. Turns out I like the game, but after playing a bit on my PC, I went to play on Deck and found that it will reliably hang during a touring car GP -- typically during second race but sometimes earlier. It's a shame because the performance is probably a bit smoother than my desktop... just occasional little hitches on bits of certain tracks that are smoothed out on handheld

Played 2 GPs with proton experimental, no issues at all and locked 60fps until the last race, that one was full Offroad with many trees and dropped to 55 here and there. But other than that, no problems.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I got EA Play working through Lutris. Now I can use my Game Pass for EA Play titles. Here's how:

1. Open Lutris
4. Search "EA App"
7. Towards the end it will launch EA Play but the box will be blank and you can't do anything. Don't fret, Just close this and it will finish.
Do EA games just work through this app like normal games?

I'm afraid to use anything but Steam for PC games. I should give it a try. Is this similar or better than the "Heroic" launcher? Ideally I want to find one of these launcher for EA games, Ubisoft and Epic. Maybe even my Humble Trove collection. Do you have recommendations for this sort of set up? Thanks.

SickBoy

Oct 25, 2017
Played 2 GPs with proton experimental, no issues at all and locked 60fps until the last race, that one was full Offroad with many trees and dropped to 55 here and there. But other than that, no problems.

I find it so weird that some people have issues with certain games and others don't. I did search around about it and really one of the few mentions I saw of the game and Steam Deck was some guy who had a crash issue on the SD Reddit.

I'd ask you to try a touring car GP in particular, but I can't imagine it's an issue just related to that. I reinstalled, verified files and tried to force a couple of different Proton versions (7 and Experimental). It's a shot in the dark, but maybe I'll try with the overlay disabled. I was running it over everything yesterday while trying to make sense of these temp. issues (but it seems really unlikely to me that it would be the culprit).

EDIT: Well, that did nothing, as expected. Now reliably crashing during qualifying.

Last edited:

ForBeers

Oct 27, 2017
Since yesterday I'm having a problem with my Deck where the battery drains from 100% to 3% in a matter of 5 minutes, but then it can stay at 3% for like 3-4 hours. Skimming through Reddit I've found a few reports of the same problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/...to_0/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Anyone here faced this? Apparently recalibrating the battery (letting it drain to 0 and then do a full charge) might do the trick

I was running in to a similar battery issue. It behaved kind of like you described above, drained fairly quickly down to 3% and then sat on that battery level for a couple of hours. Desktop mode was reporting my battery quality at 23% and it would estimate the total runtime at idle at about 2 1/2 hours. I first tried putting the battery in to shipping mode and then charging it and this did not work for me.

I finally did let it drain all the way and recharged it overnight with the deck off (Please note I'm not sure this a "good thing" for batteries of this type. ymmv). It's now been a couple of days and it seems to have fixed it so far. Battery life and drain feels normal now and it's being reported as 100% battery quality in desktop mode.

1 gift from nded

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from nded nded!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

nded said:

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Assault Android Cactus - Won by Ouroboros Ouroboros (19 entries)

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Do EA games just work through this app like normal games?

I'm afraid to use anything but Steam for PC games. I should give it a try. Is this similar or better than the "Heroic" launcher? Ideally I want to find one of these launcher for EA games, Ubisoft and Epic. Maybe even my Humble Trove collection. Do you have recommendations for this sort of set up? Thanks.
Yes they do. I guess similar to Heroic.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Got Reshade going on Oblivion, but it lengthens the in game load times by like 10x! Plus when new cells load you get huge pause/stutter. I am guessing it is something to do with not being able to use the downloaded shader cache with reshade active? As soon as I remove reshade all is back to normal. Also tried it on mass effect but it just wouldn't load. 🤷‍♂️ I haven't bothered trying other games yet.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm kind of surprised how FF14 runs on Deck. Figured I'd be able to hit 60 in most areas but its mostly stuck in the 40s for me. Wonder if parking any of the CPU cores would help

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR II Switch announcement has me wanting to play it on the deck. Can the usual content mods be installed to work on the Deck?

Muffin Awesome

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone ever encounter crash issues with no message in Valkyria Chronicles 1?

On latest stable branch and proton, seems to be stuck at the start of chapter 3 where you first get to the barracks and picking your initial squad.

Not encountering any issues in border lands 3 with suspending. I do have VC 1 stored and running off of sd card, and was suspending quite a bit and resuming.

Dec 2, 2017
I'm not really a PC guy as in i only made a steam account to put a reservation down on a steam deck. My pre order has finally become available, is this easy to use? For a non PC player.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm not really a PC guy as in i only made a steam account to put a reservation down on a steam deck. My pre order has finally become available, is this easy to use? For a non PC player.
Yeah I think it's pretty straightforward. There's of course lot of stuff to dabble in which you can't do on consoles, but you can safely ignore all of that. So no need to feel overwhelmed. That said, there's some kinks to iron out still. And it can feel weird that all the games sold in Steam won't work on the device, yet it's not hard to find those that do. Welcome to PC gaming though, I'm sure you'll have fun. You can take it slow to familiarize yourself with all the possibilities, in case you want to go deeper in the future =)

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Was the last word from Valve on the official dock "Spring" or "Summer?" Ones a lot more likey obviously I'm just getting impatient.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
This doesn't answer your question but time to build your library, grab Bomber Crew while it is free right now. It is deck verified!

store.steampowered.com

Save 90% on Bomber Crew on Steam

Chocks away! Bomber Crew is a strategic simulation game, where picking the right crew and keeping your bomber in tip top shape is the difference between completing your mission or losing it all! USAAF DLC NOW AVAILABLE! FLY THE ICONIC AMERICAN BOMBER!

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Been playing Shadow Complex Remastered this week during the daily commute. It's been a flawless experience.

With everything maxed out, it runs perfectly at 60fps most of the time. Occasionally having slight drops when lots of action happens at the same time. Did not have to fiddle with any controller settings - it just defaulted to XBox 360 controller layout and everything just... "worked". That goes for Sleep Mode too. It's like playing on a handheld console.

PSA for Metal Gear Solid fans who have been looking forward to playing Phantom Pain on the go. "Definitive Experience" which includes Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain and all the DLC is 5.77 USD right now at CDkeys. You get a Steam key right after payment. And the games are Steam Deck Verified. Can't wait to replay those on a handheld when I'm done with Shadow Complex.

www.cdkeys.com

Metal Gear Solid V 5 Definitive Experience PC

Buy Metal Gear Solid V 5 Definitive Experience PC ✔️ CD Key ✔️ Instant download ✔️ Fantastic price ✔️ Digital Download ✔️

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on what you want to use it for. If your goal is to play Verified Steam games using it is as easy as using a switch. If you want to venture outside of the steam ecosystem that's when it can become a lot of work getting things to run. But that's the good thing about this device is it gives you that option to tinker if you want.

Dec 2, 2017
It depends on what you want to use it for. If your goal is to play Verified Steam games using it is as easy as using a switch. If you want to venture outside of the steam ecosystem that's when it can become a lot of work getting things to run. But that's the good thing about this device is it gives you that option to tinker if you want.
Definitely just verified steam deck games.

I traditionally loathe PC gaming and love my Deck.
This doesn't answer your question but time to build your library, grab Bomber Crew while it is free right now. It is deck verified!

store.steampowered.com

Save 90% on Bomber Crew on Steam

Chocks away! Bomber Crew is a strategic simulation game, where picking the right crew and keeping your bomber in tip top shape is the difference between completing your mission or losing it all! USAAF DLC NOW AVAILABLE! FLY THE ICONIC AMERICAN BOMBER!
Yeah I think it's pretty straightforward. There's of course lot of stuff to dabble in which you can't do on consoles, but you can safely ignore all of that. So no need to feel overwhelmed. That said, there's some kinks to iron out still. And it can feel weird that all the games sold in Steam won't work on the device, yet it's not hard to find those that do. Welcome to PC gaming though, I'm sure you'll have fun. You can take it slow to familiarize yourself with all the possibilities, in case you want to go deeper in the future =)
Sounds great, thank you!

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I just installed the ifixit fan and damn…. The difference is bigger than I expected. When combined with the latest fan software changes my Steam Deck is essentially silent now. Even going full tilt running the deck at 27w it's barely there. People who get this fan out of the box don't know how good they have it. 😂

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Put in an hour+ with Circuit Superstars and no crashes. That's a fun little racer. Two races into my second session and I realized I had switched to the d-pad that time. That's how I played it the rest of my time with the game. Feels right to play a top down racer with that.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just installed the ifixit fan and damn…. The difference is bigger than I expected. When combined with the latest fan software changes my Steam Deck is essentially silent now. Even going full tilt running the deck at 27w it's barely there. People who get this fan out of the box don't know how good they have it. 😂
Has valve moved to this fan permanently for new units or are they still using both fans

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Question about Steam rom manager, if I've installed Roms to both the internal and SD how can I get the generated app list to find both? I seem to only be finding one or the other based on the last place emudeck was installed?

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
It's still a mix of both. It's whatever is available. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Ifixit fan is also both fans at one point.
Yeah it sounds like ifixit can't guarantee the manufacturer, but they will take returns if you're not happy. The fans are sourced from Valve. But it seems for everyone who has gotten one so far it was the Huaying and not the Delta.

mgfanjay

Apr 9, 2022

1. Open Lutris
4. Search "EA App"
Thanks. I got Origin on mine to be able to play the Criterion Most Wanted but maybe this will net better results

Status
Not open for further replies.