Status
Not open for further replies.

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe this thread?

www.resetera.com

Indie Impressions | OT | Game Recommendations & Itch.io Bundle Hub Indie

Hey everyone, as many of you might already be acutely aware of, most Indie Games barely get any attention whatsoever. Many of them are very fun, unique, touching, or generally rewarding experiences that simply dont get talked about and the recent Itch.io Racial Justice & Palestine Bundles gave...

In general, Toma is a great source for these, they've created countless threads on Era dedicated to indie games.

Yes ! It was Toma. Thank you ! I forgot the username.

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
I am playing a 1998 game that I bought in 2003, registered on Steam in 2004, on a portable device from 2022 and posting from it too. If that doesn't speak to the strength of the PC/Steam platform, then I don't know what does.
QGWA5uz.jpg

PC being inherently backwards compatible in a meaningful way is, indeed, a fantastic feature.

1 gift from nded

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from nded nded!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

nded said:
846f603df6057b070667f2741730c2038648955d.png
Great on Steam Deck

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Strider - Won by TheSix TheSix (17 entries)

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Tried out Battlefront II (DICE's, not the original) when I realized I've exclusively played single player games on my Deck and it held up incredibly well at 800p, medium settings. Stuck to 50-60 FPS for the entire run of play and just looked great. Unfortunately, it's damn near impossible to compete properly since enemy visibility is questionable when the game is played on a monitor or 65" TV, let alone on the Deck's tiny screen, but hey, it works!

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else needing to hit the power button multiple times to go to sleep since the latest update?

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
That's nice to hear! I use Moonlight/Big Box for my streaming using my apple tv or android rooted switch since Big Box has all my games from ea, steam, microsoft and etc nicely organized but being able to use steam link for steam games will also be appealing.
FWIW, I spent a decent chunk of time today testing streaming options in my living room on my apple tv 4k and steam link hardware. On a large screen, Moonlight is hands down better than Steam Link/Streaming. The image just looks so much better imo.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Run Oblivion at least once before starting so you can go into the launcher and setup your graphics settings etc.

1. Go into Desktop mode

2. Download latest OBSE here and extract it to a folder somewhere (important to pre-extract it before copying to game folder). Copy and paste the extracted OBSE files/folders to your main Oblivion folder (the folder that has OblivionLauncher.exe). If you don't know where to find this, right click the game in Steam then go to Manage -> Browse local files. You know you did it right if you see the "obse" files in the same folder as OblivionLauncher.exe (there should also be a OBSE folder inside Oblivion\Data).

3. In file manager, right click inside the Oblivion folder and click "Open in Terminal" which opens up Konsole inside that folder.

4. Copy and paste the following lines one at a time into the Konsole (I think only the first line is necessary due to step 5 but I did both anyway)
Code:
printf '\x90\x90\x90' | dd conv=notrunc of=obse_loader.exe bs=1 seek=$((0x14cb))
printf 'obse_loader\x00' | dd conv=notrunc of=OblivionLauncher.exe bs=1 seek=$((0x1347c))
You can close Konsole now.

5. Rename OblivionLauncher.exe to something like OblivionLauncherBackup.exe and then rename obse_loader.exe to OblivionLauncher.exe
(this is so it properly uses OBSE when launching from gaming mode -- if you need access to the launcher in the future, just temporarily reverse what you just did)

6. Download NorthernUI and also get SkyBSA. Extract each zip file to a temporary folder somewhere (like step 2, it's important to pre-extract before copying into game folder). Reason you do this is there can be weird issues if you extract zips directly into Oblivion folder (no idea why). Copy and paste the extracted NorthernUI and SkyBSA files/folders into the Oblivion\Data folder. When you get the pop up just use the "write into" option and apply to all files. Remember to only copy the contents of the temp folders you extracted to, not the temp folder itself.

If you skip any of these steps it probably won't work. You should be able to go back into gaming mode now and when you run Oblivion it will bypass the launcher and go right into the game. You should see the new UI in the main menu. You can adjust controller settings in there.

Steam may have previously set your steam input controller settings to one of the community layouts for the game, so change it back to one of the generic gamepad ones.

I also installed the unofficial patch mods to fix all the bugs (same process as step 6). In addition to the main one there's also one for shivering isles and the other DLCs. You should be okay to also add those without worrying about a mod manager. I also installed the character overhaul which makes everyone look significantly less ugly, some environment enhancement/weather mods, and texture mods...but if you go any deeper into modding (beyond the unofficial patch + NorthernUI) you probably need to look into running a mod manager, or learn about setting up load orders manually.
Thanks for this! finally got around to it and it works! This guide was invaluable in getting this running on my deck, wouldn't have been able to do it without it

Oct 25, 2017
Question for folks that tried emudeck. What is the shortcut Turbo is mapped to for pcsx2? I can't for the life of me find it, or at least trigger it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Having some trouble with the touch menu while playing Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I've got it set to have buttons for 1-9 for the hot keys (attacks and potions), and it works fine most of the time, but after a while it just stops working. I touch the left touch pad and the menu pops up fine, but when I release the pad (which should activate the button) it just doesn't do anything.

Seems like a bug because it works fine when I turn the game off and turn it back on. Maybe I should try simplifying some things, I've done a lot to get it feeling like Gamepad settings (like having left mouse on right joystick touch so it moves the camera and not the mouse cursor), but maybe it's too much happening at once and eventually messes something up.

murmelbahn

Feb 20, 2018
I love my deck. It is the perfect visual novel machine! At the moment I play 428 shibuya scramble. It works perfectly:)

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I really put the deck through some extreme installing tests today. It sounds like a jet engine when installing huge games like the Mass Effect trilogy and Doom Eternal. Tried so many things that work surprisingly well if you're willing to compromise on framerates a bit- Elex, Greedfall, The Outer Worlds- this machine is so insane. So many wonderful titles and emulation at the press of a button. Playing Max Payne 3 on this thing blew my mind.

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
Got mine just in time for our trip- was able to set up on hotel WiFi and install some smaller games to test… it cannot be understated just how ridiculous it feels to throw your existing (and rather large) Steam library at a (giant) Switch and work as well as it does. It's gonna take me a couple days to settle into playing a game normally instead of just throwing things at it to see how well the run/dialing in the performance.

jj70

Oct 27, 2017
A question for EU folks. How long was the delivery from the Netherlands to another EU country? Im reading some true horror shit in some spanish forums about delivery with GLS
Italy - around a week/a week+1day from puchase confirmation - tracking only updates when the package reaches Italy shores 😅

Last edited:

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
FWIW, I spent a decent chunk of time today testing streaming options in my living room on my apple tv 4k and steam link hardware. On a large screen, Moonlight is hands down better than Steam Link/Streaming. The image just looks so much better imo.

Oh yeah. And it's better now with the option prefer low frame pacing so latency and everything is so smooth. I played an hour or two of fallen order with no hiccups whatsoever on my Apple TV. Moonlight is wonderful.

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana
After living with the Deck for a few weeks, successor needs a better quality screen with minimal bezels and longer battery life when it comes to QOL improvements but otherwise?

Round of applause, Gaben.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of lowering the watts of the system? Doesn't limiting the fps already lower how much power it uses?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of lowering the watts of the system? Doesn't limiting the fps already lower how much power it uses?

There might be more CPU intensive parts of the game, or more detailed areas, meaning more power is needed there to keep the same FPS. If battery life is more important that consistent frame rate in whatever scenario you're in, then you'd cap the power as well.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I just got a 512gb SD card, and am planning on loading it up with the games I intend to play after I finish what's on my internal 512gb SSD.

Is it possible to transfer games from the SSD to the SD card and vice versa via the Steam Deck? Is there a major difference in performance/load times between the 512gb SSD versus the 160mb/s SD card I got to make doing so worthwhile?

Thanks so much!

Sangral