Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Installed Blasphemous (amazon prime version) via nile.

You can set the TDP all the way down and still get 60fps. ~7h battery life. Fan is not audible.
The amazon version of blasphemous is an out of date version that does not include the final free dlc update.

As a matter of fact, unless your amazon free game comes with a key to another launcher (like egs or origin for example) it will never receive any updates.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Anybody who uses Retroarch and has got Retroachievements setup... how do I get it to save my login? Everytime I try, it wipes the login next time I access settings.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
So I was playing an RPG and jumped back in today to find my save file gone. Only option is new game. Checked the steam cloud and the only file showing is from today. Any chance I can restore/find this or am I starting over?

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
Woo, finally got Reshade working:

Found a guide (with pre-made files) here:

I actually saw some other reshade vibrant comparisons on Reddit today, seems to be hot right now, and I need to do that. Weird how colorless a lot of games feel when you can actually make them look better with this.

Last edited:

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Can anyone recommend a 3-player online co-op story-driven Action/RPG that I can play through start-to finish with friends?

I'm sad because I have Lord of the Rings: War in the North which is PERFECT for that, but apparently is no longer available for sale on Steam for the others to buy… :/

It really seems like slim pickings these days outside of Divinity which is a no because one of my friends hates highly strategic combat.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I actually some other reshare vibrant comparisons on Reddit today, seems to be hot right now, and I need to do that. Weird how colorless a lot of games feel when you can actually make them look better with this.

Yeah, Vesparia in particular was one game I had to make look better with Reshade on my main PC as well. I thought trying out Reshade on a colorful anime game like that would be a good example to show, and you can really see how the gold and other colours really stand out now.

Hopefully this is also another example of a feature Valve should add to the performance window to make games look better.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Well I just got my Steam Deck on Thursday, so as is tradition, I just spent the afternoon tinkering with it and got The Reunion mod for FF7 working. I love this thing.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best way to do that? If I get a USB-C Hub can I just connect the Deck to my PC and use my mouse and keyboard?
Essentially, yes! If you can get a USB-C hub with a HDMI port, you can connect it to a monitor with a HDMI cable, and then connect the keyboard and mouse to the hub through USB (though if you have Bluetooth devices, you can connect them to the Deck directly if needs be)

The Deck actually runs really nicely with this config. Pretty much like a normal Desktop PC and it makes configuring stuff much, much easier.

————

On a different note, some of the texture packs you can find online are super impressive. I'm running a HD texture pack for Fire Emblem: Awakening and Persona 3 Portable and both are transformative. PCSX2 has this capability now too and I'd love to try it out.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
That was weird. Steam kept insisting there was 0% battery charge, until I rebooted the device. Now it thinks there's 91%.

Anyone run into that issue?

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
So what's the deal with the daily shader pre-caching download/installs that this thing does on a daily basis for every game on my Deck? Is there any point to them?

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
So what's the deal with the daily shader pre-caching download/installs that this thing does on a daily basis for every game on my Deck? Is there any point to them?

There's a lot of information on this topic in this very thread - if you search, you'll find the previous times this has been discussed.

TL;DR: Yes, there is a point to them. It's shader caches.

EDIT: Quoting to make it easier to find.

OK, so, as far as I understand it:

Firstly, a shader is a text file that instructs a computer's graphics card as to how to render objects. Without shaders, games wouldn't have lighting, shadows, screen space ambient occlusion, bloom, etc. When a game renders an object onscreen using a shader, it has to compile the shader first. Doing this live can make the game stuttery - however, with Proton, Valve is taking these compiled shaders, caching them to a file, and sharing them with other similar graphics cards / GPUs (i.e. between all Steam Decks).

Secondly, the shader cache gets updated when a new shader is encountered and compiled. This means that when you download a game, for example, you'll probably also have a download consisting of the compiled shader cache for that game. However, these caches are based on shader compilations that happen when a shader is encountered in a game. If nobody encounters a shader, it won't get compiled and cached. As more people play a game, the cache gets more and more complete, and so fewer and fewer people should run into stutters where a shader is used that is not cached.

Being that generally few people have Steam Decks, shader caches are mostly incomplete - once more and more people have Decks, cache downloads should become less and less frequent and more and more complete, as more people are playing any given game (and so they are happening upon shaders more regularly) and everybody contributes to the Deck's overall cache.

I don't believe the cache is invalidated on graphics settings changes - the shaders are most likely compiled regardless of personal graphics settings (as most shaders are the same regardless of if, say, the resolution is 720p or 4K, and which is why you'd have a shader cache to mitigate stuttering even before you start a new game).

The cache may be invalidated on graphics drivers updates, not Proton updates, as far as I know.

Source 1
Source 2

Last edited:

SickBoy

Oct 25, 2017
Not a good Steam Deck Saturday in the SickBoy household...

With Circuit Superstars on a free weekend, I thought I'd give that a try. I was really excited about it for Deck but wasn't sure it was my cup of tea. Turns out I like the game, but after playing a bit on my PC, I went to play on Deck and found that it will reliably hang during a touring car GP -- typically during second race but sometimes earlier. It's a shame because the performance is probably a bit smoother than my desktop... just occasional little hitches on bits of certain tracks that are smoothed out on handheld

I also learned the updated fan curve is "not for me." My first incident with CS was what appeared to be a thermal failsafe shutdown*, with the system feeling quite hot. Running Wreckfest afterwards to test, I was able to again shut down the deck while the game was on, momentarily seeing a CPU temp of 102. Seems like the fan, when CPU/GPU are in the high 80s/early 90s, is running about 10% faster on the old curve (6600RPM vs. 6000)... feels like maybe the new profile can be slow to adapt if temps continue to climb from there.

I think I have the "good" fan, so fan noise wasn't a huge deal prior to the update. So it's kinda disappointing but not the end of the world. I'd say for most of the stuff I'll actually be running regularly, I'm not pushing high temps, but better to be safe for those times that I am.

*I should note that whatever this was, the hanging I'm typically seeing in the game in general is definitely not heat-related... happening while the system is running in the 70C ballpark.

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
Not a good Steam Deck Saturday in the SickBoy household...

With Circuit Superstars on a free weekend, I thought I'd give that a try. I was really excited about it for Deck but wasn't sure it was my cup of tea. Turns out I like the game, but after playing a bit on my PC, I went to play on Deck and found that it will reliably hang during a touring car GP -- typically during second race but sometimes earlier. It's a shame because the performance is probably a bit smoother than my desktop... just occasional little hitches on bits of certain tracks that are smoothed out on handheld

I also learned the updated fan curve is "not for me." My first incident with CS was what appeared to be a thermal failsafe shutdown*, with the system feeling quite hot. Running Wreckfest afterwards to test, I was able to again shut down the deck while the game was on, momentarily seeing a CPU temp of 102. Seems like the fan, when CPU/GPU are in the high 80s/early 90s, is running about 10% faster on the old curve (6600RPM vs. 6000)... feels like maybe the new profile can be slow to adapt if temps continue to climb from there.

I think I have the "good" fan, so fan noise wasn't a huge deal prior to the update. So it's kinda disappointing but not the end of the world. I'd say for most of the stuff I'll actually be running regularly, I'm not pushing high temps, but better to be safe for those times that I am.

*I should note that whatever this was, the hanging I'm typically seeing in the game in general is definitely not heat-related... happening while the system is running in the 70C ballpark.

Huh, wow, sorry to hear that. Guess we might be seeing more updated fan curves in the future - at least Valve put the original curve in the settings so you can still use the device with the more conservative / temperature-friendly curve.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
So I've had my Steam Deck since last Tuesday (the 17th) -- here's my impressions so far on the device.

Hardware

It's good. Needless to say, from simply a component standpoint, the Deck is real bargain and a no brainer purchase considering the current market situation. Most games I toss at them just work, with the caveat being that I don't own a lot of "modern" AAA games quite yet other than Elden Ring. Even before opting into the beta, the only time I actually noticed any fan noise was from the extra processing of downloading a game while playing another one. The beta basically made it quieter than my laptop while substantially beating in power, so there's that as well. I might just not be as sensitive to the sound since I am used to laptop noise and not only looking at this from a console perspective.

When compared to the Switch, the device is much more comfortable to play. However, there are some issues I've noticed with the ergonomics. The first is that, while definitely better than the last gen Steam Controller, the Steam Deck has similarly awkward RB / LB button shape. While the clicky tactile feedback is better than the mouse like feedback from the previous controller, the shape of the controller does make it a little hard to hold down those buttons for extended periods. On a Playstation family controller, the L1 R1 buttons can generally be rested on just as easily as the triggers -- but I think that the Deck might inherit a more bulky LB RB design inherited from the Xbox family controllers. Despite owning many controllers, I don't have any XBox family controllers, so I can't compare it to that. It's not a deal breaker, but I definitely wouldn't configure LB or RB to be buttons intended for long holds.

Secondly, the rear buttons (even after figuring out how the buttons are intended to be pressed) are a mixed bag depending on the users hand size. While many people here have made the assumption that small hands would have problems using the device, I think I'd argue that there's actually some ways in which big hands are punished. With big hands, your hands will likely grasp the device with the fingers laid diagonally across the back of the device, making the rear buttons a little difficult to press since the fingers will now have to move side-to-side to trigger and release the buttons. I only noticed this after seeing my brother use the device whose hands are only a bit larger than mine. Due to this, if you find yourself with this situation, my suggestion would be to try to bind both LR4/5 buttons to the same button on each side respectively. This effectively gives you one rear button now, but will make pressing these buttons a little less of a challenge since you won't have to try to target specific buttons.

Otherwise the device's hardware and ergonomic design are impressive.

Software

I think that the software is also good -- but I'm also approaching this from someone who already daily drives linux and is every comfortable with this world so keep that in mind. When it comes to big picture 2 (or game view? I'm not sure what the official name will be) I feel like it's a pretty clear improvement over the original Big Picture mode. There are some minor issues I've noticed with the visuals of the deck transitions looking a little rough (flickering, menus starting open for a single frame and then completing the transition) but a lot of that is a polish pass that I don't think they've had the time to think about with how many features they've been adding for the past few months. I've run into some snags with controller configuration as well, with some features missing from from the UI (the biggest being the lack of ability to assign a label or icon to l/r touch pad menus, which makes some game configurations less easy to make in a way that's user friendly) but I think Valve has said officially that they're getting around to adding that sometime soon.

Regarding compatibility, the state of proton definitely doesn't surprise me, as I've been playing games and daily driving Linux for over 5 years now. Basically, proton works extremely well in most cases when dealing with AMD devices which have good drivers. There are exceptions, such as anti-cheat, but that situation is so much better ever since the Deck came out that I'm now even able to play Apex Legends on my linux machine again and could potentially just completely remove my Windows installation now (though I do still need it for the rare case of testing software on Windows.)

To summarize, I haven't actually run into a compatibility issue yet. Here are some notes on the games I played on the deck.

- Half Life 1 ("Half Life Deck" Configuration)
- Played to completion, though worth noting that the game locked up on the first tram ride. This seems to be a bug with the native linux port, but restarting a new game resolved it. I took the time to hand make a steam deck configuration for anyone who wants to endulge in some classic half-life. Here's a link to my steam deck configuration: steam://controllerconfig/70/2813055424 Note: Seems like this forum doesn't like steam-uri links -- keeps trying to add "http://" before the link. It would be nice if this was resolved since it would be nice to share controller configurations here.

- Dirt Rally (Default Gamepad Config)
- Game works really well out of the box and is a pretty decent graphics showcase. The device will run a little louder in this game, but all in all it's a solid game and a decent one to play a few races in before putting the device away again. It's worth noting that I didn't have any luck getting the online features to work due to Racenet connectivity problems, however.

- Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart (Default Gamepad Config)
- This game is amazing on this device for a multitude of reasons. I highly recommend people try it out for themselves through the discover store -- playing it online is a blast. I had an interesting issue though where my shift key or capslock wasn't allowing me to actually type capital letters via the touch keyboard.

- Pacman Championship Edition DX (Default Gamepad Config)
- Awesome game, made even better on the deck. I think this game does suffer a bit from the dpad positioning, where I find the PS4 controller to be a bit easier to use. On the flip side, using the analog stick even allowed me to easily beat my previous high scores -- so take from that what you will.

- Fistful of Frags (Custom Gamepad, Still Working on Configuration)
- My first foray into trying an online shooter -- in this case, kind of a strange niche one. This game presented some problems with configuration compared to, say, the DS4 or the superior Steam Controller for FPS games. The differences from the steam controller are obvious, where the performance one can get from a SC can be near mouse and keyboard levels. However, comparing the deck to the DS4 in this case was more surprising. The first issue I had was that my previous flickstick configuration was not longer working for me since the use of gryo when the screen is attached to the controls makes it relatively easy to feel motion sick -- which is pretty rare for me when playing a game. I simply couldn't find a controller configuration for the deck that I felt immediately happy with. This one might just take more time.

- Final Fantasy X / X-2 Remaster
- Only played a few hours at most on this game on some late night sessions. It works well, even managed to mod my save files using FFXED.

So as a whole I'm really happy with my steam deck. I'll update people more if I come up with any other controller configurations, though I might also spend some time trying some modding of the other Final Fantasy titles.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
OK, I'm feeling a bit stupid. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I installed Lutris, added as a non-steam game, logged into my GOG account, booted into Game Mode, and now trying to install "The Saboteur". It keeps exiting with code 256.

Am I doing something wrong?

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Vesparia in particular was one game I had to make look better with Reshade on my main PC as well. I thought trying out Reshade on a colorful anime game like that would be a good example to show, and you can really see how the gold and other colours really stand out now.

Hopefully this is also another example of a feature Valve should add to the performance window to make games look better.
Your pic is like a different game altogether lol, mind sharing the settings? Gonna try that when I start Vesperia

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
OK, I'm feeling a bit stupid. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I installed Lutris, added as a non-steam game, logged into my GOG account, booted into Game Mode, and now trying to install "The Saboteur". It keeps exiting with code 256.

Am I doing something wrong?

It'd probably be easier to install the Saboteur in desktop mode, and then try to actually run it through Game Mode.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Your pic is like a different game altogether lol, mind sharing the settings? Gonna try that when I start Vesperia

I think I was just using Vibrance, HDR, and Levels, or 2/3 of them. I tried all 3 in Skyrim and it seemed a bit too much (made things darker than normal), so I settled on only Vibrance and HDR. If you watch the anime opening and toggle the settings on/off, you can see it looks soooo much better with Reshade on. I almost want to say it feels like going from a cheap TN panel to an IPS one. The bright whites might get a little blown out though, so you might have to tweak things a bit to your liking.

on a related note. have you had any success with special k or other tweaks to fix the microstutters in vesperia on the deck?

I don't think I've noticed any stuttering; frametimes generally seem to be good so far, at least. There was someone that fixed frametime problems in Berseria by simply locking the screen to 55Hz; maybe it's have the same effect here if microstutters actually are there.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
So I had my Steam Deck for a few days and I'm finding Heroic Launcher not reliable for Epic Games. At first I couldn't get Cloud Saves to sync and now all my games just stopped launching with it. I ended up just installing the EGS client and calling it. It's slow as molasses, but it works.

I wish I could figure out why my Heroic Launcher just stopped launching games, but at this point I'm spending more time tinkering and troubleshooting than playing. 😅

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
So I had my Steam Deck for a few days and I'm finding Heroic Launcher not reliable for Epic Games. At first I couldn't get Cloud Saves to sync and now all my games just stopped launching with it. I ended up just installing the EGS client and calling it. It's slow as molasses, but it works.

I wish I could figure out why my Heroic Launcher just stopped launching games, but at this point I'm spending more time tinkering and troubleshooting than playing. 😅
I was having problems with heroic as well. I switched around the Proton version from experimental to stable and the back again and that fixed it. I believe that it actually tries to run it with Wine (which I don't have) but only says that it's running proton. That's why I go set them manually and it actually sets it to Proton.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
www.resetera.com

Steam Deck |OT| Your Games are Going Places Valve - Tech - OT

I got nile working, first tried it on my Desktop, then on my Deck. How I did it: First, open a Terminal (Konsole). Then installed python locally with miniconda: https://docs.conda.io/en/latest/miniconda.html wget https://repo.anaconda.com/miniconda/Miniconda3-py39_4.11.0-Linux-x86_64.sh...

Thanks for the Response, but I'm not Linux savvy, so I read that and got lost immediately after downloading the Miniconda SH file. I have no idea what any of what your guide means, lol.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So I was playing an RPG and jumped back in today to find my save file gone. Only option is new game. Checked the steam cloud and the only file showing is from today. Any chance I can restore/find this or am I starting over?
Is it a game with a native Linux build? Maybe it was storing its save game in a temporary location, and it got wiped when you performed an update or due to something else. Locations like /var and /temp are from what I understand not meant to ensure permanent storage. So it's good for things like temporary files you just want to put somewhere and won't need again. But I could see very inexperienced game devs store save games wherever.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I have a few story heavy games installed I'm working through (Dragon Age Inquisition, Jedi Fallen Order, Assassin's Creed Origins), but I'm trying to decide on something a bit more causal to play while watching TV.

You could give Lutris a try, I've had some luck with it.
Sometimes when you install a game it just launches the store first, but then you can just download it from there yourself and it should work.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Got RetroAchievements working, such a cool idea to add some depth to replaying old games. Having a whale of a time. The GBA Lord of the Rings games are excellent by the way, nostalgia aside. Lovely Diablo clones that have a great LotR feel to them.

Also, battery life is great when playing emulators and the fan is basically silent. Which... I'd expect for something playing GBA games, but still

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
a Socialist Utopia

I've never seen my temps approach 100°C and thankfully I've never seen my fan go 6000+ rpm, because I have the whiny/noisy fan that really starts becoming annoying around 3800 rpm.

The new fan curve is wonderful for me and behvaves nicely, I only get the whine when I really push the system now. I can easily tweak most games I play to use 11-12W and stay below 70°C with the fan being tolerable.

Now I wonder if they can even do a single fan curve to satisfy the (two?) different fans they use. Maybe the whiny fan is more efficient at cooling, with the trade off being the garbage sound it makes at higher rpm.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I also learned the updated fan curve is "not for me."
Same. I installed SteamOS again just to check the new fan curve, but it disappointed me. My fan (I have the quiet one) actually seems to be louder with the new fan curve and I had a few crashes from overheating. I deleted SteamOS again and went back to Windows and the quiet fan curve.

Sangral