• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
So I paid for the preorder Monday and it changed to "shipping soon" Wednesday morning (US, East Coast here). What day on average am I looking at it arriving? Anecdotal comments are fine too haha.

Im going away today and im at this house for a week, so I put the shipping address to that house. So checkout is next Thursday. Should it arrive there by Thursday if status was still "shipping soon" this morning? I know Valve is West Coast so that's a factor.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So I paid for the preorder Monday and it changed to "shipping soon" Wednesday morning (US, East Coast here). What day on average am I looking at it arriving? Anecdotal comments are fine too haha.

Im going away today and im at this house for a week, so I put the shipping address to that house. So checkout is next Thursday. Should it arrive there by Thursday if status was still "shipping soon" this morning? I know Valve is West Coast so that's a factor.
SW Ontario Canada here. I placed my order on the Monday I got mine, Shipping updated Wednesday, and I got it the Friday.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, is disabling SMT enough? Wasn't there a trick that let you reduce the active core count which increased their frequency? I might be talking out of my ass, I am not very hardware knowledgeable :P

It's enough, but the CPUs suck significantly more power with SMT disabled. If you also disable turbo, it's enough to still run it flawlessly, but without any wasted cycles you're not using anyways. Instead of being stuck at 3.5Ghz, they stick to 2.8Ghz. In almost all circumstances, it's still more than you need.

also- is there any good singular repository wiki guide for these kinds of things like there is for 3ds/wiiu/switch hacking? seems like things are still fairly scattered among reddit threads and discords but i may be missing something.

I don't think there is. And for a lot of this stuff, it's so fluid that it quickly gets out of date. You'd need someone who was constantly following every issue and constantly updating it with new and improved methods.

I had grand ideas of making something, but then gave up because of the futility of it.

Last edited:

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
Anyone else here playing Fall Guys on Steam Deck and having the problem that after playing 1 whole game, 2 at max, in the next one at the start of a round it simply freezes the whole screen for 15 seconds with the fan ramping up high and when it unfreezes again it's connection lost due to inactivity?

I really don't know if it's the server anymore, this problem feels so weird with the fan going high in that moment and everytime I switch back to console then, there simply are no server issues. It's so odd.

It's also super tricky to hold stable 60 unfortunately, at least in the first like 2 rounds with high player count. :/

Filiab

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
if someone tries this and has success, i'd love to know! the comments on that thread are mixed in terms of success.

also- is there any good singular repository wiki guide for these kinds of things like there is for 3ds/wiiu/switch hacking? seems like things are still fairly scattered among reddit threads and discords but i may be missing something.
So I did a fresh install with PS + (I had now before)
It did install, was able to log in after a few attempts (was janky, for sure).
But that's about all the success I got. I couldn't navigate through the menus, and Miles Morales boot to black screen.

So it does install, I just probably need some tinkering. I'll update again

May 30, 2018
So I did a fresh install with PS + (I had now before)
It did install, was able to log in after a few attempts (was janky, for sure).
But that's about all the success I got. I couldn't navigate through the menus, and Miles Morales boot to black screen.

So it does install, I just probably need some tinkering. I'll update again
you're doing the lord's work. i have my deck in my hands as of about an hour ago and i'm so pumped to bust this thing in

Filiab

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
you're doing the lord's work. i have my deck in my hands as of about an hour ago and i'm so pumped to bust this thing in
Saw your post earlier about a consolidated resource. While I haven't found one just yet, while I was waiting for my Deck to arrive, I was compiling some videos on YouTube in a playlist. If you like, I can share with you

May 30, 2018
Saw your post earlier about a consolidated resource. While I haven't found one just yet, while I was waiting for my Deck to arrive, I was compiling some videos on YouTube in a playlist. If you like, I can share with you
by all means! i'm sort of surprised there isn't something like a steamdeck.guide but i don't think i'm necessarily the kind of person to make it happen.

EDIT: actually it looks like someone did register that and appears to have intent to make it a similar resource, but right now there's just a single tutorial there for installing Bioshock from EGS. hahaha. gotta start somewhere, i guess!

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Steam Summer Sale starts today right? Think this should be the right countdown timer format:
Jun 23, 2022 at 1:00 PM

As someone who avoided buying games on Steam because I didn't have a pc/laptop decent enough to run modern stuff and now has a Deck I'm looking forward to seeing what I can pick up for cheap from my wishlist! Guessing there will be a lot of recent deck-owners who will also be looking to pick up some new games, wonder if they'll go big on the event this time around?

General reminder for all: Steam sales is for two weeks. So at least wait for a bit as other authorized key resellers do price match. Lots of games could be even cheaper by few bucks.

Filiab

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
by all means! i'm sort of surprised there isn't something like a steamdeck.guide but i don't think i'm necessarily the kind of person to make it happen.

EDIT: actually it looks like someone did register that and appears to have intent to make it a similar resource, but right now there's just a single tutorial there for installing Bioshock from EGS. hahaha. gotta start somewhere, i guess!
It's by no means all you need but just some stuff I've come across while looking to fill some needs.

SteamDeck YouTube Playlist

I'd also take a look at:
Moonlight + Playnite awesomeness

GamePass (If that's your thing)

Tried to find a good guide for Lutris (to install non-steam launchers) but I couldn't find one I liked. I'll keep looking

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
General reminder for all: Steam sales is for two weeks. So at least wait for a bit as other authorized key resellers do price match. Lots of games could be even cheaper by few bucks.
Good point - I think the last time I engaged with the Steam Sales was when they were doing lightning deals and having a lot more temporary reductions, but they don't really do that anymore do they?

namerson23

Nov 6, 2017

Paid on Monday, Shipping Soon on Wednesday and says it should be delivered by Friday if not Monday at the latest. I'm in NY

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
open source =/= free software
You don't need to tell me that.

Fortunately, proton is mixed licensed, but none of the licenses would prohibit usage. Some of its components are LGPL (Wine) while other parts are a mixture of more permissive licenses (DXVK is zlib for example and some other parts are 3 clause BSD).

As long as Epic don't fuck with Wine and keep their modifications closed, and treat it separate from EGS so they don't need to worry about the LGPL derivative work clause, they are free to use it. That's really no different to how Valve treat Proton, or how Itch deals with Wine in their Linux client.

EDIT:

I forgot, there's actually a separate license file for Proton specifically, rather than the individual parts: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_7.0/LICENSE.proton

This is likely the only relevent part:

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or
other materials provided with the distribution.

Which would be completely fine for Epic.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

If it's only a few dollars more, the Steam refund policy shouldn't be ignored IMO. This requires you actually boot up the games you buy and test them, but if you do, it's nice to be able to refund games you don't like.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to search if there are user created controls? I'm trying to play ck2 on it and I can't figure out how to scroll zoom in and out

Before you launch the game click the controller icon, can access custom layouts there.

Can also just Steam button out to there if it's open atm, you can update them live.

Should also see a option to search them if you steam button while it's open and move to the right where your layout is.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
If it's only a few dollars more, the Steam refund policy shouldn't be ignored IMO. This requires you actually boot up the games you buy and test them, but if you do, it's nice to be able to refund games you don't like.
Nice. This reminds me I haven't used this feature yet. Usually buy them on sale so haven't felt need to use it.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
My Playdate arrives today, so at least I'll be cranking it soon.

Oh snap, that should be a fun time, they still doing the weekly rollout of games based on when you start?

Also having a sad realization that once your Deck does arrive we won't have the jou of kicking around Ol' Tobor anymore, will be the end of an era.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Oh snap, that should be a fun time, they still doing the weekly rollout of games based on when you start?

Also having a sad realization that once your Deck does arrive we won't have the jou of kicking around Ol' Tobor anymore, will be the end of an era.

Haha. It's actually helped get through the long wait, so thanks.

Yeah, on the Playdate it's the weekly rollout once you activate it. You can apparently ask them to give you everything up to now, but I will go through the experience. I can sideload stuff as well.

Oct 28, 2017

i'm on the US east coast and I had the same scenario last month. Not to get your hopes up, but by wednesday evening it was shipped from illinois and it arrived that friday

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
After 30 minutes of Steam, Paypal, my Bank app and my internet crashing and my bank seemingly refusing to believe that I would spend nearly £600 on something, I finally got it through.

Should be here mid July...as long as it doesn't get stuck in customs.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
After 30 minutes of Steam, Paypal, my Bank app and my internet crashing and my bank seemingly refusing to believe that I would spend nearly £600 on something, I finally got it through.

Should be here mid July...as long as it doesn't get stuck in customs.
Are you outside of NA / EU / UK? I think normal wait time is around 1-2 weeks.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

NYC. Ordered June 16th, shipped June 20th, received today (23rd). FedEx Ground.

Joeschmo

Jul 11, 2018
ESO rocks on the Deck. High settings, TAA and it is running locked 40 fps @ 40 Hz refresh rate. Looks fantastic and because it has native controller support it plays well too! Here's a hot tip: the game stutters like crazy on the Deck but there is a simple solution. After you ran it, press the Steam button, swap the active window to the launcher and close it. I want to try SWTOR next.

Btw. Anyone using PowerTools? I installed it at the beginning and it doesn't work anymore, probably got to update it. It was very useful for Emulation.
Was hoping for a good sale on the ESO base game today and it's $6, so I'm happy.

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else underwhelmed by the Steam Sale? Doesn't seem like the prices are any better than key reseller sites 🤷‍♂️

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else underwhelmed by the Steam Sale? Doesn't seem like the prices are any better than key reseller sites 🤷‍♂️

That's kinda normal, there's always a few like historical lows but key shops are almost always the best deals, only reason they exist.

But near comparable pricing makes it alot easier to just spend a little more and cut out the hassle and you get the sweet refund policy.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finally unboxed and booted, updated, and now I can't sign in to Steam. "There was a problem trying to sign in: 56"

Anyone have any idea what that means? I know I'm typing my credentials correctly. Does the Deck have issues with 2FA or something? Or maybe issues because the store is getting hammered due to the sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.