Status
Not open for further replies.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Got my Deck finally. Still going through getting things setup, but one of the first things that caught me by surprise was initial usage of an SD card wasn't as user friendly as it could be. I popped in a brand new micro SD card and nothing happened. I knew it would need to be formatted, but I was surprised there wasn't a pop up message informing me of that or anything. Going to the Settings and then to the Storage section didn't seem to show it either despite what looked like at the status bar was an icon indicating usage of an card but being new to the system, I wasn't sure if that's what that icon meant. It took me looking up a video on on how to setup an SD card to find out that the format SD card was under System and not storage. It feels like how the system handles SD cards and the UI for it could be much better to make it more user friendly.

The other observation I've had so far was I was caught off guard by the weight and in a bad way. I've read so many times how the system is way lighter than it looks and than people expected on here that I got into the mindset that it was going to be surprisingly light but unfortunately the system is about as heavy as I initially expected but because I was now expecting it to feel lighter from impressions, it now just feels a bit heavy. I'm sure I'll adjust to this part of it, but slightly disappointing by having wrong expectations from what people said here. I'm now curious how heavy people thought it was going to be if they thought it was much lighter.

Can't wait to have some games installed to finally put this through its paces and see what this can really do.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
It didn't work out 🤕
But thank for your great help. Greatly appereciated. Gonna ask for a refund and hope I will be eventually able to play this in the future 👌🏻

For a new Steam Deck user this was quite an unexpected journey, hope the next game I'll be will work 🤞🏻
Been meaning to try it for the past few days but have been travelling. Can confirm my copy of Alan Wake (classic non remastered) installed and booted fine with to tweaking or strange behaviour. Definitely something to alert valve to when you ask for your refund, because it seems like it be something that only affects certain users.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
The other observation I've had so far was I was caught off guard by the weight and in a bad way. I've read so many times how the system is way lighter than it looks and than people expected on here that I got into the mindset that it was going to be surprisingly light but unfortunately the system is about as heavy as I initially expected but because I was now expecting it to feel lighter from impressions, it now just feels a bit heavy. I'm sure I'll adjust to this part of it, but slightly disappointing by having wrong expectations from what people said here. I'm now curious how heavy people thought it was going to be if they thought it was much lighter.

Played yourself a little there haha, definitely wouldn't call it light, but it looks massive and heavy, and does have a bit of heft, but a little lighter then I imagined it even so. Helps that the ergonomics are fantastic so it sits well in your hands.

BarnabyJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it okay to play my steam deck from fully charged and stop to charge it back to full say when it hits something like 10% left before playing again? Like, am I destroying the battery by doing this in any way?

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Never tried stadia? Even the inputlag is diff from all streaming servers. Moonlight streaming input works over syncing the bluetooth input through moonlight to the other server. While stadia controller or other can be directly linked to the server via wifi with stadia. No step in between which improves inputlag a lot.

Not the person you quoted, but I get way lower ping with Moonlight since it's all across my home network. Stadia has never worked well for me, personally. My ping tends to bounce around and I get a lot of hiccups.

seriosbrad

Oct 28, 2017
Got my 512BGB deck a few days ago! I'm gonna buy a new SD card, what's the best way to set it up so that I can seemlessly swap it from Deck to Win11 for transferring files? I've read a couple articles, but there seems to be a lot of hoops to jump through :(

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Getting excited. Taking my first vacation tomorrow and excites to really get the opportunity to play my Deck out in public/while at my destination.

Joeschmo

Jul 11, 2018
Never tried stadia? Even the inputlag is diff from all streaming servers. Moonlight streaming input works over syncing the bluetooth input through moonlight to the other server. While stadia controller or other can be directly linked to the server via wifi with stadia. No step in between which improves inputlag a lot.
Nope and I probably never will. I've tried xcloud and psnow and hated both, and I'm definitely not buying games on another separate service.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Been meaning to try it for the past few days but have been travelling. Can confirm my copy of Alan Wake (classic non remastered) installed and booted fine with to tweaking or strange behaviour. Definitely something to alert valve to when you ask for your refund, because it seems like it be something that only affects certain users.

Yeah it's pretty weird alright. On the Steam community forum I read there are some more people with Alan Wake not launching.

Will buy some games on Steam Summer sale tomorrow, hope they do work, otherwise this could be hardware related.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's pretty weird alright. On the Steam community forum I read there are some more people with Alan Wake not launching.

Will buy some games on Steam Summer sale tomorrow, hope they do work, otherwise this could be hardware related.

It's so weird, there's got to be some weirdly specific thing that would cause that in a small group.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not the person you quoted, but I get way lower ping with Moonlight since it's all across my home network. Stadia has never worked well for me, personally. My ping tends to bounce around and I get a lot of hiccups.

I never got any issue with that. No lag noticed at all... not sure how you tested this. Also you can continue your session if you would be disconnected for some reasons. Moonlight is local and im not sure what the exact ping is, but as i said it runs through moonlight that needs to pass the input to the current game. One step extra compared to stadia. That said, i used moonlight a lot at home... and rocket league is just unplayable because of the inputlag

Nope and I probably never will. I've tried xcloud and psnow and hated both, and I'm definitely not buying games on another separate service.

Yes but xcloud and psnow are far behind in cloud tech even if they have better gfx. Stadia is some other next level stuff which offers a lot more and better experience. You can even play those games with mouse and keyboard. Anyway, the amount of games it provides is the only issue with stadia.

But its what you want ofcource. I could understand that the game is never yours when using cloudtech is a reason not to.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I should be getting commission from Valve, that's 3 peope who have ordered a Deck after me taking it into work and letting people play around with it.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Got my 512BGB deck a few days ago! I'm gonna buy a new SD card, what's the best way to set it up so that I can seemlessly swap it from Deck to Win11 for transferring files? I've read a couple articles, but there seems to be a lot of hoops to jump through :(

The most seemless is probably let Steam Deck format it and just transfer the files wirelessly between the two. People love Warpinator, but I had issues and just use WinSCP.

That above is not exactly without a learning curve, but it's relatively seemless once you figure out how to configure the wireless.

Anyone tried this Display Calibration(color) guide yet?

Seems like the improvements are worth the invested time. Cons: may have to re-image your Deck if you fail

I keep telling myself Valve has to be working on presets that you'll just be able to choose. Right? I really don't want to go down this rabbit hole. Just give me a "warm" that's close to 6500k, please.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone have optimized settings for Civ 6? The Deck kinda goes nuts with the fan. Just wondering if there is anything I could do to reel back the heat.

Already running at 40hz

JoanneAlley

alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2022
Stadia actually has F2P games there you play for completely free like Destiny 2, PUBG. In addition there are several game trials that allow you to play some games for a hour or two.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

I feel the opposite on the weight. It seemed like it was gonna be heavy and it never got to be a hassle to hold. It hasn't felt heavy and uncomfortable yet.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
I never got any issue with that. No lag noticed at all... not sure how you tested this. Also you can continue your session if you would be disconnected for some reasons. Moonlight is local and im not sure what the exact ping is, but as i said it runs through moonlight that needs to pass the input to the current game. One step extra compared to stadia. That said, i used moonlight a lot at home... and rocket league is just unplayable because of the inputlag

Wouldn't Stadia have the same # of hops? Device running Moonlight has its input go to the router, then to the host machine, then that same path back.

Stadia with the wifi controller has your its input go to the router, then to the Google servers, then that same path back (just to the chromecast instead of controller).

I assume that i'm going to have way less ping going between two machines on the same local network than needing to access a datacenter miles away.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got Fall Guys working through EGS.

I followed the steps in the Reddit thread and it wasn't able to launch, but I found some steps in the comments and was able to get it working.

The differences from the main instructions was using ProtonGE instead of Proton 7, and adding an extra bit to the front of the Steam Launch they tell you to put in: PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1

Once I did that it launched just fine!

I might even pay for the season pass since MechaGodzilla is one of the rewards. Need to play it a bit more to decide if I like it enough to play that much, but it ran well and so far every level is already been new compared to when it launched.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Anyone tried this Display Calibration(color) guide yet?

Seems like the improvements are worth the invested time. Cons: may have to re-image your Deck if you fail
I was able to get my white balance very close to D65 just using night mode. No messing with reshade or any of that (it was hit and miss on games I tried it with). And these instructions seem a bit daunting.

It re-saturated the warmer colors and removed that sterile blue cast over everything, and while slightly red leaning it i vastly preferable to the cool blue cast over everything. Not the same as a full calibration, but for my money just dealing with the white balance gets you 90% of the way there (perceptually).

HXNco2V.jpg

dE from 28 to 1.2? I'll take it! Note my settings won't apply to every screen. Also you lose a bit of brightness by taming the blue so much (513 vs 442 nits in my case).

It would be nice if Valve added a simple white balance adjustment, even if it's just a few presets i.e. Warm, Normal, Cool.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Moonlight and Playnite combo is amazing together. Moonlight/Shield has much better input latency handling than I was experiencing with Steam Link while Playnite works so good to handle the full library of games for streaming.

Just got my Steam Deck...and as someone with a smaller hand size...I thought it was going to be a bit smaller than it is...It's pretty big lol. But also holding it the device grips are pretty well done.

Aug 4, 2021
Anyone use a Switch pro controller? Using it with Bluetooth and it constantly drops connection and has to be reconnected. Also the rumble goes crazy.

Had some ass trash talking me in rocket league because I kept stopping.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm downloading stuff to my Steam Deck trying to get content on there and then I noticed under the storage manager, it's telling me I have 47GB utilized by games and then 42GB in updates. Is that supposed to be right? That seems crazy that almost half the storage is going to updates. Is there any way to reclaim some of that space?

KRT

Aug 7, 2020
So erm, is 90c on both gpu and cpu normal? Got my Deck couple days ago and every game seems to heat it up to 90c. I tried turning off the new fan curve but that has not changed much since the fans were already running at 6-7k rpm.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to make your installed games the first thing you see when you click on library? It seems like a bad decision for you to select library and then have to move over two categories before you can look at the games that are installed on your device. Sony used to do this on the PS5 and they eventually changed it so that your playable games are first and then your entire library comes second. Or am I doing it wrong and I'm not supposed to be going through the Library to get to my installed games?

Reddline

Oct 27, 2017
I know Steam summer sale starts tomorrow but those sales have been lackluster for the last few years.

Does anyone have experience with websites eneba and Games for play? Are they legitimate like cdkeys?

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
So erm, is 90c on both gpu and cpu normal? Got my Deck couple days ago and every game seems to heat it up to 90c. I tried turning off the new fan curve but that has not changed much since the fans were already running at 6-7k rpm.

Normally run 75-80ish on mine, although I have seen it spike up there when pushed to the limit.

What are you playing? Are you limiting TDP or frame rate? Is your deck charging at the time you see these temps?

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Just realized Deck and Index sound almost the same 😂
That synergy, things my late night brain think about.

But weird they don't call it the Steam index as it seems like building the steam brand further is all they want to do but they chose to go by Valve Index instead.

Last edited:

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
Just realized Deck and Index sound almost the same 😂
That synergy, things my late night brain think about.

But they don't call it the Steam index as it seems like building the steam brand further is all they want to do but they chose to go by Valve Index instead.

Bruh, how many edibles did you eat? This sounds like some high ass thinking, all like "Deck...InDECKS.....whooooooa"

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017

Can't wait to have some games installed to finally put this through its paces and see what this can really do.

I thought it felt heavy for a week but now I'm used to it and feels perfect size and ergonomics to hold.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Played a bit more Fall Guys and it's really fun, but I'm not sure if it's the Deck, or the fact that the F2P launch is getting slammed, but I'm getting quite a few dropped connections.

I'd say maybe half of the games I played have eventually disconnected and booted me.

Amazingly one of the few matches I got to the end of I won!
I'm still learning the new courses, but they add a nice bit of variety compared to how it was at launch. There's races where you do 2 laps around a course, a few new ending stages (like a rotating hex field that disappears as you walk), etc.

Mochino

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Glad I got the Steam version of Fall Guys so i can avoid some of that extra stuff. Funny enough I had a Steam key of Rocket League from Humble Bundle from years ago which I redeemed recently. Kinda cool its now in my Steam account and works on Deck out of the gate with no issues.
I'm so jealous of you lol. Was looking for a rocket league key and they cost hundreds now 🥲

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I'm so jealous of you lol. Was looking for a rocket league key and they cost hundreds now 🥲
A physical copy sure. Not sure what just a Steam key goes for but at this point I didn't care for money.

Now from what I saw, it's still easy enough to run Rocket League via Heroic launcher on Deck. Maybe I should have considered it but had no idea these steam keys had a high value to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.