Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I still think Revolutions fits the bill better. Maybe I misremembering things, but after Reloaded people were still excited for the franchise and then Revolutions just killed all the hype it had.
Toothpaste was out of the tube by then. A lot of folks reference that highway scene. Outside that it set the framework on what everyone disliked about the franchise

CalmYeti

Oct 27, 2017
Revenge of the Nerds 2: Nerds in Paradise is on this list but Ghostbusters 2 isn't? Interesting use of the word "disappointing," I guess.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Folks have already mentioned it, but Glass and Mortal Kombat Annihilation deserve a nod.

Why isn't Alien 3 in the list???

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master is what first came up to me. Dream Warrior is undeniably the GOAT and then the sequel comes and shits all over the previous entry. They did Kincaid and the rest of the crew so fucking dirty.

Alien³ does a similar thing of shitting over the previous entry but something about it worked for me while The Dream Master just angers me.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Ridiculous.

There is only one correct answer for number one:

ZYohNm6.jpeg

Nothing will ever be as hyped, or as disappointing. BECAUSE of The Phantom Menace. TROS didn't have 1/100 of the hype.
My counter argument is this, was TPM a disappointment to the kids who watched it at the time? Cause to me it seems like the movie at least won that particular audience vs TROS.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Live Free or Die Hard shouldn't be on the list and I would replace Terminator Dark Fate with Gensys. Number 1 is correct. It was so dumb making Rey a Palpatine and bringing him back and undoing everything from Last Jedi.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Toothpaste was out of the tube by then. A lot of folks reference that highway scene. Outside that it set the framework on what everyone disliked about the franchise
Yeah. As I said in the other post I completely forgot how much less Revolutions made at the Box Office compared to Reloaded. I wonder how The Matrix Online performed after Revolutions being an official continuation of sorts, 4 years is not the worst run for an MMO, but there are games from that time that are still online.

GambitPool

Nov 27, 2020
I don't know if TRoS can be #1 when the hype was way lower than TFA and TLJ. It had a lower than expected opening weekend at the box office and the general consensus felt like, "Let's just get this shit over with."

Phantom Menance was so disappointing it created the entire online film criticism industry at the perfect time when the internet was starting to explode. I'd put it at #1.

Spider-Man 3 sent geeks and casual goers into shock lmao. It caused a decades lomg discourse on when is it too early to reboot a story/character. I'd put it at #2.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna go against that and say Rise of Skywalker should absolutely not be number one. And I say this as someone who considers The Last Jedi his favorite Star Wars movie. TRoS fumbles the ongoing SW saga story, but it's still kinda fun but flawed adventure pic. And it's nowhere near as awful as the Prequels.

Youre not allowed to have a nuanced and totally fair star wars take that normies largely agree with.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Disney has earned quite a few spots over the years. Impressive stuff. The sequel trilogy can just be there as a concept.

I still think Crystal Skull is my number one due to the reverence I have for the original trilogy and Spielberg dropping the ball so badly.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only one I'd push back on a bit is:
  • The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1 (2014)

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Speed 2 is such a lazy choice. Who the hell had high expectations for a sequel to Speed? Idk. Maybe it's because I saw both as a little kid on TV/VHS but was Speed that big of a cultural phenomenon that a mediocre sequel was disappointing?

I remember opening weekend for Speed, and showings were sold out at every theater around my area on the weekends for the first couple of weeks. It was pretty much lauded as the perfect action movie for its time and the chemistry between Keanu and Sandra Bullock was off the charts. So yeah, it was a pretty big deal back then.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
My counter argument is this, was TPM a disappointment to the kids who watched it at the time? Cause to me it seems like the movie at least won that particular audience vs TROS.

I was a kid at the time and it was the thing that introduced me to the concept of disappointment.

Like I literally couldn't even fathom a movie being bad until I saw the phantom menace. It was such a dry and joyless experience compared to the OT films I loved. I hardly even understood the majority of the dialogue. There was no protagonist like Luke Skywalker that was easy to connect with. Certainly no Han Solo audience insert character that talked like a real human being. Jar Jar was nails on a chalkboard even as a kid. It goes on and on. It failed on every level.

And before you think kids didn't like TROS... I went to watch it with a younger cousin and as soon as the movie ended, he looked at me and with zero irony at all said "That was amazing." I absolutely promise you a generation of sequel trilogy kids are going to get louder and louder very soon. The stuff we hated from TROS will be funny, loving memes to them, just like with the prequels.

Oct 26, 2017
Credit where it's due for risking the wrath of the worst SW people by not putting The Last Jedi.

I think Love and Thunder is a perfectly fine movie that just got caught up in a hate bubble for some reason (still miles ahead of 1 and 2), but otherwise no major disagreements.

As someone who saw it in theaters in elementary school, yes. I never loved Star Wars even as a kid so I wasn't disappointed, but I definitely thought it was way worse than the others. The real TPM fans are the ones who saw it younger and hadn't seen the OT, I imagine.

Alien Convent is definitely missing on that list.
All hope was probably already dead by covenant. Ressurection sucked it all out of us like a monster into the vacuum of space

Last edited:

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Alien Convent is definitely missing on that list. As dumb but pretty Prometheus is it set up an interesting concept for its sequel. That they ignored just for jumping to here is xenomorph stalking bored uninterested people

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Fate being in the top 10 is insane considering Genysis exists. It makes me wonder if they made a mistake.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Alien 3 is conspicuously absent. A disastrous followup to two of the greatest sci-fi films ever made. The franchise has never recovered. Prometheus and Covenant belong here as well.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous.

ZYohNm6.jpeg

Nothing will ever be as hyped, or as disappointing. BECAUSE of The Phantom Menace. TROS didn't have 1/100 of the hype.
Enough kids like me at the time watched these and enjoyed them enough to change the popular opinion of the prequels over time(even AOTC which is a deeply terrible movie), I just don't think that's gonna happen with TROS, even if it is a very solid Indiana Jones-like in its structure regardless of everything else. Especially with the way Disney has dropped that era and not looked back, maybe the Rey movie will give the sequel trilogy the goodwill it needs but I just don't think it'll have the same renaissance the prequels did. Kids might have liked the sequels enough I think their nostalgia mines will be for Marvel and Fortnite.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Where tf is Matrix 4?

Matrix 4 was asssssss.

Matrix: 10/10 best movie of all time
Reloaded: 7/10
Revolutions: 6/10 but I secretly like it more than Reloaded
Resurrections: 1/10

Legit the most disappointed I have EVER been in a movie. The first 25 minutes are pretty interesting and I was excited for the "meta" stuff the trailers alluded to. But then it just becomes 90 minutes of shitting on your fans. Add in AWFUL action, not a single bit of bullet time, a dumb continuation of where we left things, and a stupid ending; it's a massive massive miss.

The dude that played New Morpheous was cool and that was it.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
So you have Jaws 2 but not Jaws: The Revenge? Completely invalid list.

On Phantom Menace not being there:
I'd argue Phantom Menace cannot qualify as it's not a sequel but rather the first of a new trilogy. Attack of the Clones should be there because that was by far the worst of the prequel trilogy movies.

Caddyshack II is the true #1 though. They tried to effectively do a remake with a different and significantly worse cast. An absolute disgrace that should be vaulted forever.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, which is one of the dumbest sequels I've seen in any franchise. Nothing of interest or consequence happens until the end.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I get why Jaws 2 is on the list but I will always stand by it actually not being that bad. Its biggest flaw is that it kind of just rehashes the first film and adds a lot of over the top shit but I also think it kind of gets lumped in with Jaws 3 and 4 which were total garbage.
I don't think I'll ever forget this single frame from Jaws 3D in my life, it is so hilariously bad that it's magical lmao
Jaws-3D.jpg

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Number one is right. It killed any interest I had in Star Wars media going forward, aside from video game stuff that revisits classic stuff. Just awful.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I agree with number one. There is literally no movie that in history that was so desperate to please everyone and wound up pleasing absolutely no one. Absolute dog shit.

Would have given Kick-Ass 2 a shout here.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Anchorman 2 and Zoolander 2 should both be there. Generation defining comedies that were endlessly quoted and I'd argue both had a bigger cultural impact than Dumb and Dumber followed by absolute stinkers that made you question how the original films ever turned out good in the first place.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Is 3 that disappointing though? I don't know, compared to the other in the top 10 it seems fine to me...

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
My personal #1 is The Matrix Reloaded and I am shocked to not see it on this list at all. I have never come close to being so disappointed in a movie I was excited about.
Definitely surprised it's not on there, I watched the first Matrix again not too long ago and was (of course) unsurprised how awesome it still was. Then I was like "hm maybe I was wrong about these sequels after all," put it on and nope, still fucking sucks real bad.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that number one pick is spot on, couldn't believe how hard they fumbled it and completely sunk the momentum Star Wars had with the sequels. The Star Wars TV shows give me some faith that they learned their lesson, but boy did Star Wars go from the biggest thing in entertainment to the most disappointing in a few years.

The Phantom Menace is also a quite bad movie overall but it had a lot to like and moved the franchise in an interesting direction, Disney did the exact opposite. There was no coherent creative vision and thought out narrative to build the franchise, just a rush to produce something resembling Star Wars movies without giving it the care it needed.

The Matrix 4 also deserves being mentioned but it at least had a vision that it executed poorly, and the first third is actually pretty okay.

Lilification

Mar 28, 2024
I could think of a lot more disappointing sequels than Halloween Kills

Like y'know, Halloween 3. And yeah I consider 3 a sequel, it's got 3 in it and when I first saw it I expected Michael Myers to be present still.

Last edited:

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I guess RoboCop 3 didn't make the list because 2 softened the blow somehow.

American Psycho 2? Is that even an official sequel?
Can we consider the second LOTR trilogy a sequel?

And is the Amazing Spiderman 2 the Tobey McGuire Spiderman 2 or another one, because I thought that was perfectly fine.

Also what were they expecting from the Revenge of the erds part 2.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Rolling Stone doesn't understand the difference between disappointing and bad. Terminator 3 can be seen as disappointing because it was coming off 2 classic films but Dark Fate? Did anyone expect that to be anything but mediocre at best? The series had been shit for 20 years at that point.

Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous.

ZYohNm6.jpeg

Yup. I don't think young people can really comprehend what that was like.

Star Wars was the biggest thing in the world and then it went radio silent for 15 years. Fans had absolutely nothing except EU books to feed on in that time. I remember where I was when I heard they were even making a new movie, that's how desperate people were for more Star Wars. The hype was beyond anything we have seen before or since. TPM being so hyped and then so disappointing broke peoples brains and changed pop culture forever.