plagiarize

Khive rise up
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Grease 2 didn't make the cut? HOW?????????

And so what if I know most of the lyrics to the songs.

#1 should be……..

51+OljeDgYL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Okay this is absurd. Arguably the best straight to video sequel by a comfortable margin and well loved by many (myself included). You don't have to like it, but uh, if you think this is the most disappointing sequel over everything on the list I can only presume you haven't seen them all.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I get why Jaws 2 is on the list but I will always stand by it actually not being that bad. Its biggest flaw is that it kind of just rehashes the first film and adds a lot of over the top shit but I also think it kind of gets lumped in with Jaws 3 and 4 which were total garbage.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Is less about what is the outright worst, it's more about what added overall caution to the brand.
I still think Revolutions fits the bill better. Maybe I misremembering things, but after Reloaded people were still excited for the franchise and then Revolutions just killed all the hype it had.

Knightbat05

Nov 7, 2022
I always was kinda surprised how Incredibles 2 got an A+ cinemscore when it released in theaters tbh. Even at best, I still wouldn't say it was amazing enough to warrant the best score a movie could possibly get. Not to mention just how mid and disappointing it was imo as well.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous.

There is only one correct answer for number one:

ZYohNm6.jpeg

Nothing will ever be as hyped, or as disappointing. BECAUSE of The Phantom Menace. TROS didn't have 1/100 of the hype.
Idk, I love this movie. It's such a big, beautiful mess and it somehow managed to get me into politics.

Granted, I still haven't seen TRoS.

Not really in a hurry to do so tbh…

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I still think Revolutions fits the bill better. Maybe I misremembering things, but after Reloaded people were still excited for the franchise and then Revolutions just killed all the hype it had.

I mean Revolutions opened much worse than Reloaded. Nobody had seen it and people decided not to.

NativeTongue

Oct 4, 2023
NYC
Speed 2 is such a lazy choice. Who the hell had high expectations for a sequel to Speed? Idk. Maybe it's because I saw both as a little kid on TV/VHS but was Speed that big of a cultural phenomenon that a mediocre sequel was disappointing?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, they only have Terminator 3?

Yes? Always loved a good bigger than life hero. I see enough flaws in the real world. Don't need them in my fantasy. Especially for a hero I grew up watching and reading since the early 80s
That in general is a very flawed to watch media in general let alone where Luke is the main character of the OT. His entire arc in those is about how being an antithetical hero. He beat the emperor not by being a badass who slices things up with a laser sword he beat him spiritually. So showing him being the equivalent of human Yoda, (and he is far more mature in TLJ anyway), would be missing the point of why he ever relatable and borderline THE template for the hero's journey in the first place.

The Rise of Skywalker wasn't even a bad movie. I'll never understand the hate for it.
It was pretty bad despite everyone involved giving it their all with the material they were given. Like yes the acting was still as good as the first and second, the visuals were ofc on point as were the costumes and sets, they did introduce new locations, etc. but....as a climax to the story set up in the first two? Nah. It is the most transparently troubled SW project ever made, all because the team wasn't given enough time to delay and polish Colin's story drafts. It should've been the Avenger's Endgame of Star Wars.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
This is a tough one, because there is probably no film in my lifetime that will be as hyped as episode 1. It was so bad that I could not believe what I was seeing. On the other hand, The Rise of Skywalker undoes a whole lot of what the original trilogy accomplished and just for that should be #1 as well. After last jedi/force awakens, I didn't have a whole lot of hope for TROS, but it was much worse than I could've imagined.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I wouldn't say that nobody had seen it, the movie still made over 400 mil at the box office, but yeah, it was much worse than Reloaded.

I mean nobdoy had seen it before that opening weekend. It wasn't word of mouth that brought that opening down. I don't think people were that hot on Reloaded, even if was.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Say what you want about The Last Jedi, but at least it had some interesting ideas and tried (and mostly failed) something new.

Rise of Skywalker spent half its runtime trying to dial everything back from TLJ. It was pathetic.
100% , I like TLJ a lot though I hate that loudly loving it (and its dumber aspects) has become an idiotic shibboleth of pseudo-progressiveness, but TROS is just so galactically bland and cowardly, it's a truly embarrassing movie to finish the skywalker trilogy on.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I mean nobdoy had seen it before that opening weekend. It wasn't word of mouth that brought that opening down. I don't think people were that hot on Reloaded, even if was.
Oh, I agree that people weren't that hot on Reloaded, I'm just saying it didn't quite killed the franchise the way Revolutions did. It's been over 20 years tho, so I might completely misremember actual events tbh 😅

kowhite

May 14, 2019
Oh, I agree that people weren't that hot on Reloaded, I'm just saying it didn't quite killed the franchise the way Revolutions did. It's been over 20 years tho, so I might completely misremember actual events tbh 😅

Yeah Revolutions didn't bomb. But Reloaded went to the stratosphere and part 3 didn't.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
While Reloaded was a huge downgrade I think Revolutions and Ressurection are more fit for such lists. Especially Revolutions because it completely missed the landing for what was supposed to be a trilogy at the time.

You understand what this thread is about right? It's not about which was the lesser of two shit Matrix films.

Revolutions wasn't disappointing because after Reloaded I damn well knew to avoid seeing it in theatres.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Has a bunch of Terminator sequels but leaves out the actual worst one, Genysis?
I know it's all subjective but quite a few of those on this list I rather like.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Independence Day Resurgence is up there for me. Adore the first film and never expected a sequel but none of the new characters worked for me, they set up a third that will never come and Will Smith died on the way back to his home planet.

I would replace Rise of Skywalker with the Last Jedi.

Agreed. Rise of Skywalker is the worse film, but my expectations were considerably less at that point.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Die Hard 4.0 was already utter shit so I don't know why 5 would be more of disappointment

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a pseudo sequel to brave heart which I haven't seen but supposedly is really aggressively bad.
Of movies I have seen and not on the list, the last Indiana Jones was sadly pretty bad, too. Fwiw, Indy 2 (temple of doom) is also a stinker. Escape from LA…. I don't know, maybe the ending saves it. Nowhere close to escape from NY though

septentrion2

Apr 11, 2023
Mortal-Kombat-Annihilation-Poster.jpg

I remember seeing this in theaters and being so disappointed, especially after the first Mortal Kombat movie was so good.

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
I think there's far worse than ROTS but sure, I guess when you compare it to TLJ, an actual fantastic film, the contrast is pretty severe.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
You understand what this thread is about right? It's not about which was the lesser of two shit Matrix films.

Revolutions wasn't disappointing because after Reloaded I damn well knew to avoid seeing it in theatres.
No need to be hostile. I understand what the thread is about, I just don't think Reloaded was quite an irreparable damage to the franchise Revolutions ended up being, which I admitted I might be wrong about.

plagiarize

Khive rise up
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Seems like their gauge for disappointment takes into account how the previous movie was received/performed. Makes sense to me. Hence why Lost World over JP3 and Crystal Skull over Dial of Destiny etc.

There's a pseudo sequel to brave heart which I haven't seen but supposedly is really aggressively bad.
Of movies I have seen and not on the list, the last Indiana Jones was sadly pretty bad, too. Fwiw, Indy 2 (temple of doom) is also a stinker. Escape from LA…. I don't know, maybe the ending saves it. Nowhere close to escape from NY though
That ending is amazing, but I don't think it can undo everything before it.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I saw Batman v Superman on opening night, had to sit at the very front, and the people behind me brought their baby who (understandably) cried through 2/3 of it before the couple gave up and left. It was a miserable experience of a bad movie.

I bring this up because I left the theater disappointed but not angry. I never get angry. I can usually even find the fun in bad movies. The Rise of Skywalker is the first and currently only time I've been angry. Two-and-a-half hours of toxic fan apologia. WILD. I've still never seen it a second time. Also the quietest opening night exit from a theater I've ever heard.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like their gauge for disappointment takes into account how the previous movie was received/performed. Makes sense to me. Hence why Lost World over JP3 and Crystal Skull over Dial of Destiny etc.

That ending is amazing, but I don't think it can undo everything before it.
There's something really quite magical about it, shame it was wasted on this!

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Grease 2 didn't make the cut? HOW?????????

And so what if I know most of the lyrics to the songs.

Lmao this hits hard, my sister had this on in regular rotation growing up and it was maddening. She fuckin loved this movie, and it was definitely on more than the original. WHY.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just assumed but now that I check, Mortal Kombat Annihilation is NOT here? I suppose it has its charm as a so-bad-it's-funny unfinished mess, but it's still very disappointing.

Swap it in with Dark Fate, thx

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Batman & Robin is a piece of camp brilliance and I'm kind of amazed that it's still reflexively placing so high on lists like this decades after the fact.