Status
Not open for further replies.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Nha, I don't think Tom is paid or anything like that, he's just a journalist focused on MS, just like Jez from WindowsCentral (Duh), the only problem is making these shades and creating misinformation about the PS5, it's okay to criticize him for that, but we don't need to make it personal.

Yeah, it's often just a general thing with Windows orientated journalists. Used to see the same thing with Linux coverage too. Just something you expect after a while. At least forums aren't filled with MVPs anymore.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 discs have afaik. I have several cross-buy games. You could activate PS3 disc and get digital Vita copy. (Sly 4, Ratchet QForce)
I think the disk just gave you digital Vita copy for free. There's nothing preventing that one disk from activating multiple Vita versions on multiple accounts.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
This I agree with but for a different reason: there's no target to hit with a mid-gen upgrade this time. Last time is was 4K TVs, this time 8K won't take off till 2025 and even then it will be way too expensive - and likely useless for an average gamer - to try and render anything in 8K on a console. So what would such "upgrade" accomplish?
4K 60 FPS as a standard? Or perhaps we'll get there by the end of the PS5/XSX era?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
You'd opt in or out on a per-game basis. So for example: I put my TLOU II disc in, at install there's a checkmark "Activate digital license", if you check it you can then play without the disc in or use your digital license on a discless console but if someone else uses the disc it automatically revokes your license, and when uninstalling a game you can revoke the digital license and sell your physical disc.

That would require machines to be always online, in order to allow revocation of the license based on the second user using the disc.

You could have a system of manual activation and deactivation before a disc can be passed on, but that would probably disrupt the second hand market to some degree, as without a trusted intermediary, you wouldn't necessarily know a disc had been deactivated prior to sale/swap.

Another problem adjacent to this is whether you really want to trust the client machine (offline) with licenses. Leaves things open to the risk of piracy related hacking. I think the lack of absolute, permanent trust that a client could never be hacked like that is why these proposals always come with periodic check-in requirements ('always online').

The other suggestion - swapping a disc for a digital license in a irreversible way (bricking the disc entirely thereafter) could maybe work with one-time disk checks on installation. Not sure though...think that may again have some undesirable reliance on the client's integrity.

Anyway... if Tom Warren is suggesting MS has some kind of system to enable discless playback of installed games, it does raise questions. But the interrogation of that is probably best suited to another thread.

Last edited:

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Sony and MS will release next gen mid gen consoles for the following reasons:

- Keep players invested in their eco system. Dont want anyone going to PC or worse buying a competitor's system.
- Sell profitable consoles while cutting prices on base consoles selling them at cost or for a loss.
- Offer gamers better ray tracing and 60 fps games.
- Keep revenues from declining like they do in the second half of each console generation.

Price wont be a factor. Gamers who buy mid gen refreshes dont care about money. If they are willing to spend $1500 building a PC, they are willing to spend $500-600 on a mid gen refresh. Less, if they trade in their existing console like we all did.
I agree with all of this.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017

- Keep players invested in their eco system. Dont want anyone going to PC or worse buying a competitor's system.
- Sell profitable consoles while cutting prices on base consoles selling them at cost or for a loss.
- Keep revenues from declining like they do in the second half of each console generation.

Price wont be a factor. Gamers who buy mid gen refreshes dont care about money. If they are willing to spend $1500 building a PC, they are willing to spend $500-600 on a mid gen refresh. Less, if they trade in their existing console like we all did.

I just can't see it this time, unless 8k really takes off there's just no reason for them to do a mid gen power upgrade.

The only reason Pro existed was for 4K, the only reason X existed was for 4K, it was a unique situation where 4K became mainstream shortly after the original consoles launched, and they needed something to be seen to take advantage of it as a new gen was too far off.

If you're thinking they'll do it for 60fps your just torturing yourself, it's down to devs and they've shown overwhelmingly time and time again that they will always put bells and whistles above frame rate.

GarbColle

Sep 5, 2019
I don't think the PSP physical to digital conversion thing ever happened. They had plans for it (because of the PSP Go coming out) but I'm pretty sure they cancelled them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

kotaku.com

Sony Nixes Plans For UMD Conversion Program For PSPGo

Playstation Portable owners will not be able to transfer the disc-based UMD games they own to a PSPgo when the sleek new digital-only system launches next week, Sony officials told Kotaku today.

It did happen, but only in Japan. And you wouldn't get the game for free, you were only allowed to buy it at a reduced price.

kotaku.com

Here Is Sony's UMD Solution for PS Vita Owners

The PS Vita does not use UMDs. Instead, it uses cartridges and digital downloads. The UMD is going extinct, putting current PSP owners in a bind should they want to play their PSP titles on the Vita.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Back when Blu-ray was taking off, Warner Bros had a promotion allowing you to upgrade your DVDs to Blu-rays for just a few bucks apiece (less than $10/title, which is pretty cheap compared to MSRP for a new release).

To do so, you had to fill out the forms and such online, checking off which titles you wanted to upgrade, and paying however much money. Then, you sent them your physical discs. Not the boxes or cases or anything, just the bare discs, stuffed in an envelope. Only after they received those discs would they mark the process complete, and they'd send out your new movies. I swapped out five or six WB titles this way.

Such a system is the only way I could see either MS or Sony doing a "physical > digital conversion". Otherwise, there's nothing stopping all of your friends using that one copy of TLOU2 to all get a digital license for the game, and that's just not feasible. They'd need some way to prevent the disc from being "used" more than once, and getting rid of it is the only way I see to do that.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed. I will add:
- Potential disaster if their competitor releases a successful mid-gen while they have no answer.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for people who got banned last week

EcwEkKGXkAMf-0M
Don't feel bad. I violated the rule and was rightly banned.

But that tweet is a huge duh.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure there's a unique identifier on blu-ray discs as part of the standard for a digital copy scheme that every release had to support for years but no hardware was ever released that actually worked with it.
DVDs could have it too in theory, but wasn't used as much.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I'm pretty sure there's a unique identifier on blu-ray discs as part of the standard for a digital copy scheme that every release had to support for years but no hardware was ever released that actually worked with it.
DVDs could have it too in theory, but wasn't used as much.

Yeah, that's what I remembered, you can have it as part of the master or have a post-process to laser engrave the area.

one

Nov 30, 2017
I just can't see it this time, unless 8k really takes off there's just no reason for them to do a mid gen power upgrade.

The only reason Pro existed was for 4K, the only reason X existed was for 4K, it was a unique situation where 4K became mainstream shortly after the original consoles launched, and they needed something to be seen to take advantage of it as a new gen was too far off.

If you're thinking they'll do it for 60fps your just torturing yourself, it's down to devs and they've shown overwhelmingly time and time again that they will always put bells and whistles above frame rate.
It will depend on how power hungry and successful PSVR2 would be.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So watch dogs runs at 1080p 30 fps with ray traced reflections on. What does this mean for ray traced reflections for buildings in Spiderman? jstevenson has already confirmed that the puddles will have ray tracing like we see in Watch Dogs, but we dont know if those skyscrapers will have ray traced reflections.

Watch dogs seems to be using screenspace reflections for rivers, but cars and building reflections seem to be handled by the rtx card.

The reflections behind spiderman in this clip look ray traced so there is hope, but it will be interesting to see how they get ray traced reflections running in an open world urban setting with hundreds of reflective buildings.

HA11AfY.gif

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
4K 60 FPS as a standard? Or perhaps we'll get there by the end of the PS5/XSX era?
To get to 60 fps in a title which is made to run at 30 fps on a 8C/16T Zen2 CPU you'll need a CPU which will be twice as fast per each thread - and this just won't happen in five years from now.
There are other issues with this too but they are less serious and could possibly be solved over the five years.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I thought MS allowed us to upgrade no matter if we got a physical this gen or not and then simply download a digital copy of the same game next gen (allowing us to upgrade no matter if we originally got a physical game or digital this gen).
If that's not it...what is Smart delivery and how does it differ from Sony?

Anyway...that Tom Warren probably realized his mistake since i can't find that tweet anymore.
He could never hide his bias anyway.
On PS4 if you buy the digital version you get both the PS4 and PS5 digital version of the game. If you buy the PS4 game on Blu-ray disc you get to download the PS5 version to your PS5 but you still need the PS4 disc in the PS5 to show that you actually have the game, you're basically playing the PS5 version with the PS4 disc. Obviously it is physically impossible to do this on PS5 Digital Edition since it doesn't have a Blu-ray drive.

Smart Delivery if I understand it correctly is pretty much the same thing but instead of a "Xbox One disc" you have one disc that would work on both Xbox One and XSX. And if you buy the digital version on Xbox store you simply download the version for your console.

So lets say Far Cry 6 is released on two disc versions on PS, one for PS4 and one for PS5 while Xbox have one disc for both XBO and XSX. Now if you get the PS5 disc of FC6 and insert it in a PS4 will it download the PS4 version? I don't know, I guess that's up to the publishers as well since Cross-buy games on PS Store supports one purchase for all gens. Or maybe cross-gen games will simply be released on PS4 discs.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know... Last mid gen update was mostly due to the fact that both OG PS4 and XB1 were way underpowered and really started showing their limits by mid gen. Plus around the same time 4K TVs started becoming popular and affordable. This time around both consoles are more well rounded performance wise compared to the the previous gen. Also to be considered, as far as I know, the Pro and X versions didn't really sell as well as the base version. I can't remember the report I saw a while back, but I think they make less than 20% of the sales (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
So watch dogs runs at 1080p 30 fps with ray traced reflections on. What does this mean for ray traced reflections for buildings in Spiderman? jstevenson has already confirmed that the puddles will have ray tracing like we see in Watch Dogs, but we dont know if those skyscrapers will have ray traced reflections.

Watch dogs seems to be using screenspace reflections for rivers, but cars and building reflections seem to be handled by the rtx card.

The reflections behind spiderman in this clip look ray traced so there is hope, but it will be interesting to see how they get ray traced reflections running in an open world urban setting with hundreds of reflective buildings.

HA11AfY.gif
Pretty telling when none of the electric effect is showing in either reflection but the lighting highlights on the character models (both of them) from the same electric effect is showing. There also appears to be some model from behind the enemy character that is incorrectly being grabbed and displayed in the reflection. None of this would happen in the screenspace capture.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
How long did it take for PS4 to get the slim model? I'm Thinking of skipping the PS5 now and buy the slim version because of various reasons.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Pretty telling when none of the electric effect is showing in either reflection but the lighting highlights on the character models (both of them) from the same electric effect is showing. There also appears to be some model from behind the enemy character that is incorrectly being grabbed and displayed in the reflection. None of this would happen in the screenspace capture.
The electric effect is showing. Look at spider mans arm and leg. It's brief because of the Gif.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To get to 60 fps in a title which is made to run at 30 fps on a 8C/16T Zen2 CPU you'll need a CPU which will be twice as fast per each thread - and this just won't happen in five years from now.
There are other issues with this too but they are less serious and could possibly be solved over the five years.
well, the current gen consoles only have 8MB of L3 cache which makes them perform roughly 30% worse than the 8 core 16 thread CPUs from AMD.

They can also double the number of cores and threads. So 16 cores 32 threads at the same clocks should be enough to double the framerate no? AMD already has these CPUs and i suspect you will need those to get PC versions of next gen games running at double the framerate of console versions. On 5nm, these CPUs should be able to fit in a console. Especially if Sony and MS decide to $500 to $600 premium machines.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
are you sure?

i see the electric effect show up in both reflections. the one on the side is hard to see because its on the underside of his arms which wont cast a reflection. the other arm does show some reflections.

the reflection behind spiderman shows the electric effect getting reflected.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
well, the current gen consoles only have 8MB of L3 cache which makes them perform roughly 30% worse than the 8 core 16 thread CPUs from AMD.

They can also double the number of cores and threads. So 16 cores 32 threads at the same clocks should be enough to double the framerate no? AMD already has these CPUs and i suspect you will need those to get PC versions of next gen games running at double the framerate of console versions. On 5nm, these CPUs should be able to fit in a console. Especially if Sony and MS decide to $500 to $600 premium machines.
Increasing core count on CPUs doesn't work like it does on GPUs, especially for games. The only way to reliably double the framerate for all CPU bound games would be to double the per-core performance, with doubled clocks speeds (not happening here), doubled instructions per clock (highly unlikely), or a combo of the two. Doubling core count could help for games with advanced job systems, but even then a linear performance increase with core count would be incredibly rare if it happens at all.

On the other hand, I suspect a lot of games this gen will be GPU bound (especially in the first couple of years), so just an improvement in the GPU will see major benefits.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I've got a hard time believing console games this gen will be cpu limited.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I know that Sony doesn't need to go out there doing interviews all the time...but all these news about MS and Xbox lately makes it seem like Sony is way too quiet.
Am i alone in this? I feel like they should be making some more noise. Unless they surprise us around the time MS does their thing in August.

Do we know if they will be a part of Gamescom? or Tokyo Game Show? They will be doing something online right?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know that Sony doesn't need to go out there doing interviews all the time...but all these news about MS and Xbox lately makes it seem like Sony is way too quiet.
Am i alone in this? I feel like they should be making some more noise. Unless they surprise us around the time MS does their thing in August.

Do we know if they will be a part of Gamescom? or Tokyo Game Show? They will be doing something online right?
they supposedly have a state of play in august.

while i would like a more steady stream of news from them, i want actual game trailers, announcements and not just talking talking talking that the MS execs do. talking is overrated. it just makes people feel better without really offering anything substantial.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
PC. 4k 60 fps without rtx.
On PC? What are the specs of that rig?
Could be it's just badly optimized at the moment or something.

Anyway, I think the PS5 event has given us a glimpse of what to expect with RT on next-gen. Well, at least as far as reflections go... Not all objects will be reflected (as seen in the R&C gameplay), and if you want native 4K60, you'll definitely render the reflections at a lower resolution (GT7).
I expect better utilization going forward, though. Especially as devs go with dynamic/upscaled/checkerboard resolutions and perhaps as tools improve.

Personally, I'm not expecting much more out of RT throughout this gen.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

yeah youre alone in this. they will probally do another info chunk in august and the last 90 days is where it all comes like a wave.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah. I think MS talks too much. August SoP is next.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After being initially disappointed by the PS5 showing, ive been going back to see current gen footage and comparing them to games shown at the PS5 reveal and the leap while not mind blowing still looks pretty significant.

Looking at the AC Valhalla footage running at 4k 60 fps ultra and comparing it to Horizon 2, i can clearly see the next gen upgrade.

Ln81HzB.gif

HmOedDT.gif

mfh3SOx.gif

XHXV6gY.gif

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

wccftech.com

AMD Ryzen 4700G Renoir 8 Core APU Overclocked & Benchmarked at 4.55 GHz Across All Cores, Faster Than The Ryzen 7 3800X & Core i7-10700K

AMD Ryzen 7 4700G 8 Core Renoir flagship APU has been overclocked to an impressive 4.55 GHz across all 8 cores and benchmarked.

Not true at all there is advantage to have a monolithic design against the desktop chiplet design.

After being initially disappointed by the PS5 showing, ive been going back to see current gen footage and comparing them to games shown at the PS5 reveal and the leap while not mind blowing still looks pretty significant.

Looking at the AC Valhalla footage running at 4k 60 fps ultra and comparing it to Horizon 2, i can clearly see the next gen upgrade.

Ln81HzB.gif

HmOedDT.gif

mfh3SOx.gif

XHXV6gY.gif

AC Valhalla gameplay trailer were uploaded by Ubi soft at 1080p 60 fps not 4k 60 fps.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On PC? What are the specs of that rig?
Could be it's just badly optimized at the moment or something.

Anyway, I think the PS5 event has given us a glimpse of what to expect with RT on next-gen. Well, at least as far as reflections go... Not all objects will be reflected (as seen in the R&C gameplay), and if you want native 4K60, you'll definitely render the reflections at a lower resolution (GT7).
I expect better utilization going forward, though. Especially as devs go with dynamic/upscaled/checkerboard resolutions and perhaps as tools improve.

Personally, I'm not expecting much more out of RT throughout this gen.
2080ti. I might be mistaken about 4k 60 fps with rtx off though. i swear i read that somewhere but cant find it. it seems Ubisoft locked the preview build to 1080p 30 fps with ray tracing on.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
2080ti. I might be mistaken about 4k 60 fps with rtx off though. i swear i read that somewhere but cant find it. it seems Ubisoft locked the preview build to 1080p 30 fps with ray tracing on.

This is not 4k 60 fps in ultra for AC Valhalla and Watchdog Legion. The two games will probably be 4k 30 fps on next-generation console. This is confirmed for AC Valhalla. And it will be interesting to compare it with Horizon 2 Forbidden West if the game release Q1or Q2 2021.

A non overclocked 2080Ti run AC Odyssey at 57 fps on average on very high quality.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wccftech.com

AMD Ryzen 4700G Renoir 8 Core APU Overclocked & Benchmarked at 4.55 GHz Across All Cores, Faster Than The Ryzen 7 3800X & Core i7-10700K

AMD Ryzen 7 4700G 8 Core Renoir flagship APU has been overclocked to an impressive 4.55 GHz across all 8 cores and benchmarked.

Not true at all there is advantage to have a monolithic design against the desktop chiplet design.

AC Valhalla gameplay trailer were uploaded by Ubi soft at 1080p 60 fps not 4k 60 fps.

i got the footage from MikeIceAndFire's channel who uploaded all videos at 4k 60 fps ultra settings. Ubisoft sent a bunch of youtubers preview builds.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I am really really bummed that what next gen tried to focus on was the RTX gimmick (over software solutions like UE5 does), and not AI Upscale like dlss 2.0 which is dark magic and would have allowed a perfect performance for the next generation. =(

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
i got the footage from MikeIceAndFire's channel who uploaded all videos at 4k 60 fps ultra settings. Ubisoft sent a bunch of youtubers preview builds.
It's my understanding they didn't "send" them anything. They were streaming the title online from some Ubi servers somewhere.

That said, I am very surprised they did it at 60fps, since that's never been the "real world" framerate target for these games. PC version or not, you don't want to give people the impression of how it will run and then not have it run that way, especially on next-gen machines.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am really really bummed that what next gen tried to focus on was the RTX gimmick (over software solutions like UE5 does), and not AI Upscale like dlss 2.0 which is dark magic and would have allowed a perfect performance for the next generation. =(
whats weird is that 4kcb was on the Pro and it was already dark magic. Even DF was struggling to tell the difference in some 4kcb games on the x1x and ps4 pro.

i wonder if they have gone with native 4k because of PS5's high pixel fill rate. maybe the rdna 2.0 cards are designed to push higher resolutions without incurring a big cost? i dont know. i just dont know why they would leave so much performance on the table chasing native 4k.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Maybe he receive a PC build because many preview comes from a streaming version played at 1080p 60 fps.

It's my understanding they didn't "send" them anything. They were streaming the title online from some Ubi servers somewhere.

That said, I am very surprised they did it at 60fps, since that's never been the "real world" framerate target for these games. PC version or not, you don't want to give people the impression of how it will run and then not have it run that way, especially on next-gen machines.

Thanks this is what people doing the preview said they played it at 60 fps using a streaming version.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Where do you get the 30% figure? I'd wager it's closer to 10%, and with console specific optimizations may be even less than that.

They can also double the number of cores and threads. So 16 cores 32 threads at the same clocks should be enough to double the framerate no?
Automatically? No. Making use of more CPU cores usually means hand optimizing parts of your code which is limited by single thread performance. Even with double the one thread performance there may be other bottlenecks which your code will hit in a CPU which will require its re-engingeering. CPUs aren't GPUs, it's much harder to get "automatic" performance gains from them on the same code by increasing the numbers of cores.

I've got a hard time believing console games this gen will be cpu limited.
You better believe it. By the end of this gen games will be maxing out these 8C/16T Zen2 CPUs - it's the usual thing on a fixed h/w console platform.
The question which remains though is will they max them out with something which will be an improvement over this gen - or will they max them out simply because devs will spend less time (= money) optimizing the CPU code in next gen games. Nevertheless the end result is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.