• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
WYeeBwG.png

bwNL8Ex.png

CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
External Storage: USB HDD Support
Optical Drive (optional): 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive

rpbZGNQ.png

Ultra-fast SSD with near instant load times
Immersive 3D Audio powered by Tempest3D AudioTech
Expandable storage
Backwards compatibility with PS4 games
Configurable game installations
xxx R4y 7R4cIN xxx
Completely re-vamped user interface
Up to 120fps on compatible games

7xZb5TS.png

Adapative triggers that makes certain mechanics like shooting a bow and arrow more realistic and immersive
Improved haptic feedback
Create button replaces the Share button
Built-in microphone

Last edited:

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Not fully tech related, but man, I hope Planet Coaster is able to run well on this. Most PC's have trouble running it when the guest count gets to a certain point.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First thing I thought of.

And that's not a Wall of Shame. That's a Wall of awesome sauce, amaze balls. No offense to some others that didn't make it.

I've learned so much just lurking in these threads, it's been a wild journey.

Flutta You need to post more.
Eh... there are better posters. Some of the discussions in the past few months have been great, after wading through the cesspool of "variable clocks is terrible", "9.2 tf", back and forth about SSD and the all time great, trying to build a 'technical' discussion around Smart Delivery/Crossbuy/Dual Entitlement when it's the dullest shit we can talk about.

Gamespawn

Oct 25, 2017
is there a way to set a google calendar up for when they announce the price and everyone starts taking preorders?

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
How is this different from the architecture thread?

Oh... is this the continuation of that thread? Just noticed it's almost at 20k posts.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
And you won't be able to plug in on the front, since the front USB-A port is for charging only.

On the subject of dongles, there's no good standard wireless audio protocol yet, so a dongle is definitely for the better.
I haven't seen any indication the front USB-A port doesn't function as a data port also.

The lightning bolt symbol usually indicates 5 watt charging instead of the typical 2.5 watt charging from a USB-A data port. It can also signify continued power delivery while the parent device is in standby.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Good looking out. I was about to post something similar as there seem to be confusion what the lightning bolt meant. Cheers!!!
EagleClaw's theory was because the bolt appeared without a usb symbol, it meant it had no data functionality. (I think they're wrong).

The USB-C port has a super speed USB icon below it.

I always thought that the lightning bolt on USB type-C meant thunderbolt connection.
That's a different looking bolt! More squiggly.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Good looking out. I was about to post something similar as there seem to be confusion what the lightning bolt meant. Cheers!!!
I think the "confusion" stems from the lack of USB trident, which itself isn't required to show data transfer ability. Someone claimed the lightning inside a battery icon is a charge only port and since this has a lightning as well, it's the same port.

I always thought that the lightning bolt on USB type-C meant thunderbolt connection.
That's what I thought as well but if you look at the thunderbolt icon, it's has an arrow at the bottom of the bolt.

edit
damn you Doby !

Doby

Oct 25, 2017

A port with the lighting symbol can provide power even when the device is turned off.

JFDZrWn.jpg

It also means its more juicy (provides more current than standard).

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
EagleClaws theory was because the bolt appeared without a usb symbol, it meant it had no data functionality. (I think they're wrong).

The USB-C port has a super speed USB icon below it.

Yes, that is my theory.
The symbol doesn't represent a USB port with charging function (CDP), but a dedicated charging port (DCP).
The PS5 would be the first device i have seen with 2 USB ports where just one port has a USB labeling, and the other port has just a "charging flash".
But there is a big chance that i'm wrong.

Last edited:

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Something to chew on: PS5 has a higher pixel fillrate than an RTX 2080Ti (extrapolated from RDNA1).

PS5:
64 ROPs x 2.23 GHz - 142.72 Giga pixels per second

RTX 2080Ti:
88 ROPs x 1.545 GHz - 135.96 Giga pixels per second

RTX Titan:
96 ROPs x 1.770 GHz - 169.92 Giga pixels per second

PS5s bandwidth at 448 GB/s seems too low, so does RDNA2 have any clever compression tech to mitigate this for PS5s framebuffer? High clocks mean high internal cache bandwidth to feed these ROPs, and cache scrubbers/ coherency engines minimise stalls and bandwidth usage, but bandwidth to framebuffer looks like a bottleneck...

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017

If this video is right, it seems like we'll have to wait until after AMD reveals Big Navi for that PS5 teardown (he suggests both RDNA2 and the PS5 SOC will have some sort of 3D memory stacking).

Rumors point to end of this month or mid-July for the Big Navi reveal... let's wait and see if he's right lol.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017

If this video is right, it seems like we'll have to wait until after AMD reveals Big Navi for that PS5 teardown (he suggests both RDNA2 and the PS5 SOC will have some sort of 3D memory stacking).

Rumors point to end of this month or mid-July for the Big Navi reveal... let's wait and see if he's right lol.

So he says RDNA2 runs a lot hotter than AMD claimed, hence one of the reasons the XSX/PS5 are significantly larger than most other consoles. Does that claim hold any water?

Status
Not open for further replies.