Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he receive a PC build because many preview comes from a streaming version played at 1080p 60 fps.

Thanks this is what people doing the preview said they played it at 60 fps using a streaming version.

His comment says it was recorded at 1080p but uploaded to youtube as 4k for higher bitrate.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where do you get the 30% figure? I'd wager it's closer to 10%, and with console specific optimizations may be even less than that.

Automatically? No. Making use of more CPU cores usually means hand optimizing parts of your code which is limited by single thread performance. Even with double the one thread performance there may be other bottlenecks which your code will hit in a CPU which will require its re-engingeering. CPUs aren't GPUs, it's much harder to get "automatic" performance gains from them on the same code by increasing the numbers of cores.

You better believe it. By the end of this gen games will be maxing out these 8C/16T Zen2 CPUs - it's the usual thing on a fixed h/w consoles platform.
The question which remains though is will they max them out with something which will be an improvement over this gen - or will they max them out simply because devs will spend less time (= money) optimizing the CPU code in next gen games. Nevertheless the end result is the same.
it was one of the flute leaks from last year on userbenchmarks. though the flute was running the CPU at 3.2 ghz.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I am guessing after Ghost comes out Sony is going to go ham on ps5 promotion, right now my guess is they are holding back because they don't want to take the spot light away and want to maximize Ghost sales and press coverage.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
it was one of the flute leaks from last year on userbenchmarks. though the flute was running the CPU at 3.2 ghz.
Well, a more direct comparison would be Zen+ to Zen2 I think but even here it should be taken with a grain of salt as L2/L3 on a console CPU can usually be highly optimized for somewhat lessening the issue of them being smaller.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
You better believe it. By the end of this gen games will be maxing out these 8C/16T Zen2 CPUs - it's the usual thing on a fixed h/w console platform.
The question which remains though is will they max them out with something which will be an improvement over this gen - or will they max them out simply because devs will spend less time (= money) optimizing the CPU code in next gen games. Nevertheless the end result is the same.
The same games that won't even take advantage of 4 cores on PC will be maxing out 7 cores on consoles? Are you expecting 120 car racing games with 2d sprites for visuals?
I'm not sure I can get behind the idea that 4k games will be cpu limited before they're gpu limited, on consoles.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Side note - not sure where else to put this without bumping a very old thread - but there'll be an Unreal 5 presentation at Unreal Fest Online tomorrow.

45 mins, from 1-1:45pm BST.

Description:

In this presentation, Nick Penwarden, VP of Engineering, and Marcus
Wassmer, Engineering Director, cover the features in Unreal Engine that
will be crucial to the success of developing the next generation of games,
and reveal innovative features being developed that will revolutionize
game development.
Then, Jerome Platteaux, Art Director, provides an in-depth look at how Epic
created the "Lumen in the Land of Nanite" UE5 demo.

www.unrealengine.com

Unreal Fest Online 2020

Unreal Fest Online is a free one-day virtual event offering over 50 sessions across five industry tracks.

Not sure if we should expect, finally, 'proper' technical detail on what it's doing with Nanite etc, but might be worth a peep.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
are you sure?

i see the electric effect show up in both reflections. the one on the side is hard to see because its on the underside of his arms which wont cast a reflection. the other arm does show some reflections.

the reflection behind spiderman shows the electric effect getting reflected.
You see the glow of the electric effect on the character models but the electricity is absent entirely from the reflection. It is very much a ray traced reflection that is ignoring the effect, which saves on performance.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think he has that wrong. Pretty sure only the RT reflections are running at 1080p 30fps not the entire game.
DF said their version was locked at 1080p 30 fps.

You see the glow of the electric effect on the character models but the electricity is absent entirely from the reflection. It is very much a ray traced reflection that is ignoring the effect, which saves on performance.
Ah i see what you are saying now. So looks like ray traced reflections on buildings might be on the cards then.

AllBizness

Mar 22, 2020
DF said their version was locked at 1080p 30 fps.

Ah i see what you are saying now. So looks like ray traced reflections on buildings might be on the cards then.
Oh was this a PC game then? 2080ti is a two year old card and IMO Series X and PS5 will be better at RT reflections then that GPU. Can't imagine any developer shipping a 1080p 30fps game on either next gen console though. They'd rather cut out RT all together then to do that.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
So we getting a HGIG set up and an unlocked frame rate option at a system level?

(Also hoping for invert y-axis at a system level too)

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
(Also hoping for invert y-axis at a system level too)
This was so useful back in the olden days on Xbox 360. I could set it once and just start playing new games right away. Now I have to always go into options of every single game and find where they put the option and what they called it for their specific version (if it's even included). Some games try to be smart by putting in some special section of limited options at the tutorial type section, but the approach is so inconsistent between different games, I just always go to the options screen.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
This was so useful back in the olden days on Xbox 360. I could set it once and just start playing new games right away. Now I have to always go into options of every single game and find where they put the option and what they called it for their specific version (if it's even included). Some games try to be smart by putting in some special section of limited options at the tutorial type section, but the approach is so inconsistent between different games, I just always go to the options screen.

Yeah, it drives me mad.

Talk about breaking the opening of nearly every game,(I also turn off subtitles).

360 had a great solution .

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Oh was this a PC game then? 2080ti is a two year old card and IMO Series X and PS5 will be better at RT reflections then that GPU. Can't imagine any developer shipping a 1080p 30fps game on either next gen console though. They'd rather cut out RT all together then to do that.

Just because it is newer doesn't mean it will be better, unfortunately. nVidia has its Tensor cores to aid with ray tracing. We will see how well AMD's solution performs. But comparing RT to nVidia's solution and expecting similar results is probably not something you should do (yet). We will see what happens when games start running ray tracing on these consoles and on yet to be released AMD cards on PC.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The same games that won't even take advantage of 4 cores on PC will be maxing out 7 cores on consoles? Are you expecting 120 car racing games with 2d sprites for visuals?
I'm not sure I can get behind the idea that 4k games will be cpu limited before they're gpu limited, on consoles.
Next gen games are not the same games.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
You could have a system of manual activation and deactivation before a disc can be passed on, but that would probably disrupt the second hand market to some degree, as without a trusted intermediary, you wouldn't necessarily know a disc had been deactivated prior to sale/swap.
I'm not sure MS and Sony see hurting the second-hand market as a negative :)
So watch dogs runs at 1080p 30 fps with ray traced reflections on. What does this mean for ray traced reflections for buildings in Spiderman? jstevenson has already confirmed that the puddles will have ray tracing like we see in Watch Dogs, but we dont know if those skyscrapers will have ray traced reflections.

Watch dogs seems to be using screenspace reflections for rivers, but cars and building reflections seem to be handled by the rtx card.

The reflections behind spiderman in this clip look ray traced so there is hope, but it will be interesting to see how they get ray traced reflections running in an open world urban setting with hundreds of reflective buildings.

HA11AfY.gif
One doesn't reflect on the other (see what I did there??). You have a lot of parameters in RT reflections which affect performance, you could have two RT reflection settings that have an order of magnitude difference in performance between them. So I don't think you should look at the reflection in game X that runs at resolution Y and infer how the same effect will perform in game Z. Even WD that you are talking about has 4 RT quality settings which probably yield different performance.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Side note - not sure where else to put this without bumping a very old thread - but there'll be an Unreal 5 presentation at Unreal Fest Online tomorrow.

Description:

www.unrealengine.com

Unreal Fest Online 2020

Unreal Fest Online is a free one-day virtual event offering over 50 sessions across five industry tracks.

Not sure if we should expect, finally, 'proper' technical detail on what it's doing with Nanite etc, but might be worth a peep.
Looking forward to it.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
If you watch the source 2160p YouTube trailer for Miles Morales, the electric discharge effects are reflected in both the right and rear reflections.

On the right it's clearest when Spider-Man's left arm passes his right leg as the yellow sparkles extend beyond the contour of the arm and contrast well against the foot. The sparkles are visible in the bright red area too but obviously it doesn't contrast so well, less still in a low-res, 256 colour dithered gif.

In the rear reflection the pulsing yellow is much brighter and more distinctly animated than just the small amount of diffused yellow light cast on Spider-Man's suit.

Sklaary

Mar 21, 2020

Description:

www.unrealengine.com

Unreal Fest Online 2020

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
DualSense shows up in Malaysian regulatory database.

nextrift.com

DualSense Controller Appears in SIRIM; Malaysia One of the First Markets to Get PlayStation 5?

The PlayStation 5 is expected to be introduced globally by the end of the year, though it's not certain if Malaysia will be one of the first markets to receive the next-generation console. Well, we now have an answer (sort of): the DualSense controller for the PS5 has just been spotted on SIRIM, sug
We're getting closer. Brace yourselves!

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DualSense shows up in Malaysian regulatory database.

nextrift.com

DualSense Controller Appears in SIRIM; Malaysia One of the First Markets to Get PlayStation 5?

The PlayStation 5 is expected to be introduced globally by the end of the year, though it's not certain if Malaysia will be one of the first markets to receive the next-generation console. Well, we now have an answer (sort of): the DualSense controller for the PS5 has just been spotted on SIRIM, sug
that's.... a surprise.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, UE5 is going to be absolutely nuts. This in-depth on the Nanite, Lumen and the other systems shown off in the PS5 demo is I suppose not a huge amount we didn't know already, but it reinforces just how insane a leap this brings. Wow.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Man, UE5 is going to be absolutely nuts. This in-depth on the Nanite, Lumen and the other systems shown off in the PS5 demo is I suppose not a huge amount we didn't know already, but it reinforces just how insane a leap this brings. Wow.

I keep thinking of FFVIIR-2 with the models from the CG cutscenes just transferred into UE5.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DLSS 2.0 is crazy. It more than doubles the framerate while making the game look better.

they are running the game at 4k 60+ fps on a rtx 2060 with DLSS 2.0 at max settings. we need this on consoles.

Sia

Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I dont think ps5 would have anything close to DLSS but the next xbox might, they have AI cores in their console don't they? Sony has nothing

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Why does the "real" maximum 4k look less detailed as the "DLSS 4k" ?
If I had to guess, I'd say it's interpolating additional detail where there actually isn't any.

I haven't watched that particular video yet, but I agree that next-gen needs this. When it looks this good, who gives a shit if it's "native".

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does the "real" maximum 4k look less detailed as the "DLSS 4k" ?
Dictator is making a separate video on it. it has to do with the way the game renders certain objects. there was ghosting in Fragile's hair that is better resolved in the DLSS image because of the way it is being reconstructed.

i think this is the future.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I dont think ps5 would have anything close to DLSS but the next xbox might, they have AI cores in their console don't they? Sony has nothing

Not really. Apparently they have some kind of DirectML support but it doesn't come close to the tensor cores.

Also I don't believe the PS5 GPU has actually been confirmed to have no form of machine learning hardware. It just hasn't been mentioned either way. I believe there was a PS5 article where a dev mentioned something about machine learning, though.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
If I had to guess, I'd say it's interpolating additional detail where there actually isn't any.

I haven't watched that particular video yet, but I agree that next-gen needs this. When it looks this good, who gives a shit if it's "native".
Dictator is making a separate video on it. it has to do with the way the game renders certain objects. there was ghosting in Fragile's hair that is better resolved in the DLSS image because of the way it is being reconstructed.

i think this is the future.

Yes, the DLSS technique is really great.
It shows that native 4k isn't needed.

Maybe Death stranding doesn't even have 4k textures, because the "real" 4k images in this video looking nothing like something in real 4k.
But the big take away is the framerate, i think the graphical difference is just some added marketing.

Aug 4, 2019
Not really. Apparently they have some kind of DirectML support but it doesn't come close to the tensor cores.

Also I don't believe the PS5 GPU has actually been confirmed to have no form of machine learning hardware. It just hasn't been mentioned either way. I believe there was a PS5 article where a dev mentioned something about machine learning, though.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/
"I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with ambient occlusion techniques, or the examination of ray-traced shadows," says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA. "More generally, we're seeing the GPU be able to power machine learning for all sorts of really interesting advancements in the gameplay and other tools."

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
MS actually already talked about it, it's called DirectML Super Resolution:
twocars.png

carcompare.png

On the right native 1080p, on the left DirectML Super Resolution from the same native 1080p to 4K.

There was also some talk about using this in order to use lower-res textures. So imagine having 2K textures on the SSD, 2K textures are sent into VRAM and once the GPU tries to read a page of these textures, it uses DirectML Super Resolution in order to up-res it to 4K. The idea is that textures will take 1/4th the install space on the SSD and the transfer rate of the SSD will be x4 faster for textures (on top of compression) while the penalty is GPU ML workload to up-res the textures in real-time every time they are read (and obviously whatever artifacts or inaccuracies ML up-resing introduce).

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. I expect we'll be hearing a lot of this after some DF analyses for next-gen, when one or the other (or both) aren't hitting full 4K, but it takes a 500% zoom and hours of pixel counting to figure it out.

"If you can't tell, does it matter?"

Of course, for some people, it will always matter. /sigh

Sia

Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
MS actually already talked about it, it's called DirectML Super Resolution:
twocars.png

carcompare.png

On the right native 1080p, on the left DirectML Super Resolution from the same native 1080p to 4K.

There was also some talk about using this in order to use lower-res textures. So imagine having 2K textures on the SSD, 2K textures are sent into VRAM and once the GPU tries to read a page of these textures, it uses DirectML Super Resolution in order to up-res it to 4K. The idea is that textures will take 1/4th the install space on the SSD and the transfer rate of the SSD will be x4 faster for textures (on top of compression) while the penalty is GPU ML workload to up-res the textures in real-time every time they are read (and obviously whatever artifacts or inaccuracies ML up-resing introduce).
This is for xbox not ps5, I am saying the ps5 won't have this tech at all. Maybe an upgraded checker boarding at best.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Is AMD working on anything like this? I'd quite like to see a mid gen refreshed PS5 that can do this so it could basically just run every base PS5 game at 60fps guaranteed and even at higher resolutions for some as well. That's all the upgrade I'd really be interested in anyway, that and a larger internal storage.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
This is for xbox not ps5, I am saying the ps5 won't have this tech at all. Maybe an upgraded checker boarding at best.

www.wired.com

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.

"I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with ambient occlusion techniques, or the examination of ray-traced shadows," says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA. "More generally, we're seeing the GPU be able to power machine learning for all sorts of really interesting advancements in the gameplay and other tools."

PS5 GPU have too from what EA chef studio officer said some ML instruction.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
This is for xbox not ps5, I am saying the ps5 won't have this tech at all.

I think this depends a lot more on software development than big differences in the compute hardware.

Contrary to a prior post, the Series X does not have 'AI cores'. Any neural network processing would happen on the shader cores.

In the Digital Foundry article on Series X there is mention of rapid-packed-math instruction set targeting lower precision processing. Andrew Goosen said 'we added special hardware support for this specific scenario' - referencing support for 4-bit and 8-bit integer ops. I'm not sure what 'special' was added here, but it's worth noting that RDNA (1, not 2) already had some 4-bit and 8-bit integer op support for greater throughput on some of the ALU hardware. I'm not sure it's clear yet if RDNA2 has improved that further, or what PS5 has adopted (although Sony was a keen early adopter of RPM so I'd say they're at least taking whatever RDNA2 is offering).

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I doubt Sony isn't working on ML too, MS is just really deep into it for the past few years.

www.wired.com

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.
PS5 GPU have too from what EA chef studio officer said some ML instruction.
There is nothing added to the XSX for ML that the PS5 wouldn't have as well. It's part of the AMD RDNA2 spec.
Any GPU can run ML, even the PS4, it will just run on the shaders, the question is how optimized your API and hardware are for these tasks. We know MS is pushing hard in this direction with things like D3D12 Metacommands that can accelerate ML by x2.5, the DirectML API and we also know MS went for INT4 and INT8 in their flavor of RDNA2 in the XSX (maybe Sony too, we don't know yet). We just haven't really heard much from Sony in that regard so we are in the dark right now on PS5 and ML.

I think this depends a lot more on software development than big differences in the compute hardware.

Contrary to a prior post, the Series X does not have 'AI cores'. Any neural network processing would happen on the shader cores.

In the Digital Foundry article on Series X there is mention of rapid-packed-math instruction set targeting lower precision processing. Andrew Goosen said 'we added special hardware support for this specific scenario' - referencing support for 4-bit and 8-bit integer ops. I'm not sure what 'special' was added here, but it's worth noting that RDNA (1, not 2) already had some 4-bit and 8-bit integer op support for greater throughput on some of the ALU hardware. I'm not sure it's clear yet if RDNA2 has improved that further, or what PS5 has adopted (although Sony was a keen early adopter of RPM so I'd say they're at least taking whatever RDNA2 is offering).
Almost every architecture from the past few years has RPM in some SKUs and doesn't in other SKUs. If MS said they've asked for it, it probably means there are some RDNA2 GPUs with RPM and some GPUs without. If Sony asked for RPM in their flavor of RDNA2 we don't know yet. It's not something extraordinarily special, but it is something you need to intentionally "add" to your GPU.

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
news.xbox.com

Xbox Velocity Architecture: A Closer Look at the Next-Gen Tech Driving Gaming Innovation Forward on Xbox Series X - Xbox Wire

When we set out to design the Xbox Series X, we aspired to build our most powerful console ever powered by next generation innovation and delivering consistent, sustained performance never before seen in a console with no compromises. To achieve this goal, we knew we needed to analyze each...

worth discussing, vs the PS5 Solution. It pretty much confirms that MS is using less hardware when it comes to I/O than what sony is using. It seems they do have a custom controller on the SSD, Hardware decompression, but everything else is pretty much Software related. however the sampler feedback seems to help with streaming from the SSD.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Do Playstation games even run on DirectX, i mean, do the PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 or PS5 game versions of any game use DIrectX?
I don't think so, but maybe i'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure sony will not get DLSS from Nvidia and will not use DirectML from DirectX12.
Maybe they will update their Supersampling with machine learning.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Almost every architecture from the past few years has RPM in some SKUs and doesn't in other SKUs. If MS said they've asked for it, it probably means there are some RDNA2 GPUs with RPM and some GPUs without. If Sony asked for RPM in their flavor of RDNA2 we don't know yet. It's not something extraordinarily special, but it is something you need to intentionally "add" to your GPU.

Yeah, they're certainly going to be taking 'something' though, to maintain BC with Pro. And it's probably easier to take the standard RDNA2 offering here than something 'cut back' (e.g. to exclude the 4-bit/8-bit integer support). I certainly wouldn't assume PS5 'won't have this tech at all' if we're referring to those supports anyway, per Sia's post... the opposite is probably more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.