Hull, UK
17n54Mj.png

WTF? XD

That's an early starter pack for sure.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Close to finishing up Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

This is a series that has struggled with identity. I don't hate the games, and in general like them, but they have clear issues. In Shadow, I think they are brought to the forefront. It starts promising enough, but it screeches to a halt when it deals with the game's primary two "towns."

Nu-lara has always had issues with characterization, and there's a chapter toward the end that makes me wish the series had embraced some of those issues rather than try to correct them. It's a violent mini story where you're stripped of your weapons but can still decimate the enemies. She's at her broodiest and nastiest and it's probably the highlight of the game. The constant attempts to pull her back, to keep her more human, all just fall flat, and I think the near psycho character in this section would have been more interesting to have as a character. Instead the game whiplashes between this sort of thing and her like finding fucking dice for some stupid kid in a sidequest. The only time the games tend to work is when she's the force of nature dismantling her enemies, even if the actual combat isn't particularly great. You can copy Uncharted in the setpiece stuff, you don't have to actually try to be Uncharted in the story too.

It's a game that just feels like it was reduced in scope, or had two competing visions. There's very little actual combat in the game, so why am I swimming in skill points to give me way too OP abilities. I get a "melee attacks stun more" ability from a late game tomb right near the end when you're facing enemies that tend to dodge them anyway. Why can I easily access the "kill armored enemies" ability before I even fight them the first time. They kept the Rise skill tree stuff while sticking it in a game that probably had like 50 percent less combat.

There's also this whole currency system I don't know why they have. Let me find the cool shit in the game, don't make me find a load of gold and jade and then buy the shit from merchants. Let me find the lockpick or the Rope extender and whatnot in a crypt or a tomb, or as the result of the game's monolith riddles.

It feels like a series that was too reactive, too open to reacting to feedback. I don't regret my time with the games, but I think looking back the first game, even with it's issues, is still the clear best and one of the few Uncharted-ish games that actually worked out fairly well.

Also this game tutorializes you to use the "axe swing mechanic" for like 60 percent of the game even when you have the settings on their hardest.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I might actually need some point-and-click adventure recommendations soon because I've been playing Gabriel Knight Anniversary and it's quite fun. I'll probably pick up the classics that I missed back in the day but I'm sure there are a lot of modern adventure games that I don't know about.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I might actually need some point-and-click adventure recommendations soon because I've been playing Gabriel Knight Anniversary and it's quite fun. I'll probably pick up the classics that I missed back in the day but I'm sure there are a lot of modern adventure games that I don't know about.

Grey Matter and Cognition were both worked on by the writer for Gabriel Knight. I finished Cognition and quite enjoyed it.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
So I bought myself a new mouse, the Logitech G502.
And like with every other gaming mouse it's too narrow and short for my hands. I cramp after an hour of play especially when I need to hit the side buttons a lot. I wonder... are trackballs still a thing and how do the perform? They always looked more comfy to me.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Unavowed, Technobabylon and Kathy Rain are probably the modern standouts - I'd especially recommend the last one if you're looking for more supernatural mystery-solving.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The Square Enix merchandise store is so fucking inept i literally can't fucking believe it.

Remember my story about my 2B figurine, where they forgot to add my housenumber to the delivery adress, resulting in it being returned, then delivered to some random ass place in france, then returned again and then finally delivered to me?
THEY FORGOT TO ADD THE HOUSENUMBER TO THE KAINE FIGURINE TOO OH MY FUCKING GOD

LITERALLY HOW HARD CAN YOU FUCKING STRUGGLE.
AND THEY CHARGE YOU 20$ DELIVERY FOR THIS TRASH TIER SERVICE.

Fucking Square Enix man, their merchandise store as incompetent as their management.
Not smart enough to just automatically copy the given address, or even checking on Google Maps if it exists. That's classic SE incompetence, it's part of their corporate culture

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Unavowed, Technobabylon and Kathy Rain are probably the modern standouts - I'd especially recommend the last one if you're looking for more supernatural mystery-solving.

Thanks! I quite like sci-fi, mystery and supernatural themes so I'd like some relevant recommendations.

Fake edit: In a classic Steam moment, I tried to add Technobabylon to my wishlist and it turns out that I already own it. I also own Gemini Rue, is that good?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
The original gabe knight is good altho it lacks the qol stuff in its 20th ann edition ;p plus tim curry voices gabe.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Alexandros Here's a quick list of notable PnC games on Steam, I am mentioning some obvious ones, but it's basically what comes to mind.
Monkey Island 1-4
Tales of Monkey Island (Not sure if the site's run out of keys)
Blackwell series (5 games)
The Journey Down trilogy
Day of the Tentacle
Contradiction
Late Shift
Thimbleweed Park
Botanicula (and all Animita Studios games)
80 Days
Toonstruck
Primordia
Lilly Looking Through
Broken Sword 1 and 2
Darkside Detective
The Lion's Song
Puzzle Bots
Samorost series

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Alexandros Here's a quick list of notable PnC games on Steam, I am mentioning some obvious ones, but it's basically what comes to mind.
Monkey Island 1-4
Tales of Monkey Island (Not sure if the site's run out of keys)
Blackwell series (5 games)
The Journey Down trilogy
Day of the Tentacle
Contradiction
Late Shift
Thimbleweed Park
Botanicula (and all Animita Studios games)
80 Days
Toonstruck
Primordia
Lilly Looking Through
Broken Sword 1 and 2
Darkside Detective
The Lion's Song
Puzzle Bots
Samorost series

Thanks!

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Maaaaan, I'm feeling pretty annoyed right now. Played 1,5 hours of Yakuza 0 and just quit. Turns out the game doesn't have any sort of auto save feature, LOL! Didn't know you had to manually save it.... Damn. Lost it all and now I'm too frustrated to go through it all again. I guess later then

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaan, I'm feeling pretty annoyed right now. Played 1,5 hours of Yakuza 0 and just quit. Turns out the game doesn't have any sort of auto save feature, LOL! Didn't know you had to manually save it.... Damn. Lost it all and now I'm too frustrated to go through it all again. I guess later then
Real Yakuza find telephone booths to save game before quitting.

Deques

Oct 26, 2017
Autosave? Pffff, back in the old days there weren't something called saving game progress :P

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

At least Yakuza has booths all over the place, I started playing Sphinx and there is a save totem every hour or so. You cant leave! If something pops up you have to keep the game running I guess..

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Why the heck does Path of Exile take so long just to update, even if the file size of the update is 14 MB?

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Whoops, sorry, forgot to warn about that, basically the only gripe about this game. Don't give up and give it another chance, it's worth trying.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
The Square Enix merchandise store is so fucking inept i literally can't fucking believe it.

Remember my story about my 2B figurine, where they forgot to add my housenumber to the delivery adress, resulting in it being returned, then delivered to some random ass place in france, then returned again and then finally delivered to me?
THEY FORGOT TO ADD THE HOUSENUMBER TO THE KAINE FIGURINE TOO OH MY FUCKING GOD

LITERALLY HOW HARD CAN YOU FUCKING STRUGGLE.
AND THEY CHARGE YOU 20$ DELIVERY FOR THIS TRASH TIER SERVICE.

Fucking Square Enix man, their merchandise store as incompetent as their management.

Never had this problem with the Japanese store, but I think they only ship domestically.

But if you have to order from one of the other branches... Yeah. Personally I would just import from a 3rd-party shop. The Kaine figure can be had for ¥5820 on like Nippon-yasan (which is quite a bit cheaper than the 69.99USD being asked by NA Store) and they ship internationally and I've never had an issue with them.

Western fans are getting ripped off by the Euro/NA branch store prices tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.