Votes: 247 15.7%
  • 20 million - 25 million

Votes: 136 8.7%
  • More than 25 million

Votes: 419 26.7%

• Total voters

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I know most of the discussion about the Pals is in the visual design, but the names are honestly just really good. There's no other Pokemon clone or inspired game that has names that sound like they could be actual Pokemon.

Lamball, Cattiva, Grizzbolt, Penking, Chillet, etc, all really do sound like natural names for Pokemon.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I know most of the discussion about the Pals is in the visual design, but the names are honestly just really good. There's no other Pokemon clone or inspired game that has names that sound like they could be actual Pokemon.

Lamball, Cattiva, Grizzbolt, Penking, Chillet, etc, all really do sound like natural names for Pokemon.

That's because everything from their design language to their use of Pokemon model elements is meant to draw in and remind people of Pokemon.

Say what you will about the gameplay but it's a very cynical approach rather than creating something new and unique like Digimon, Monster Rancher, Yokai Watch, and numerous others did

Real

Oct 28, 2017

Depresso might get a spinoff game at this point, lmao. Depresso's Big Adventure

svacina

Oct 25, 2017
That's because everything from their design language to their use of Pokemon model elements is meant to draw in and remind people of Pokemon.

Say what you will about the gameplay but it's a very cynical approach rather than creating something new and unique like Digimon, Monster Rancher, Yokai Watch, and numerous others did
Won't somebody think of the poor Game Freak devs who could have come up with these names but were maliciously stopped by Pocket Pair, using AI probably.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
But those games didn't capture the audience this game is. Because the gameplay mechanics in those game were not as enjoyable.

If pokemon released on steam do you think it would be at 2 million concurrent players right now?

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How's the game doing on the streaming sites, TikTok, Twitch?
I2NG9Oe.png

svacina

Oct 25, 2017
But those games didn't capture the audience this game is. Because the gameplay mechanics in those game were not as enjoyable.

If pokemon released on steam do you think it would be at 2 million concurrent players right now?
Is this a trick question? Well unless TPC released the OG GB Pokemon Red for €60, then maybe not. Maybe.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Remind me while y'all argue so hard against Nintendo games releasing on PC, if you think this is true.
I dont know why you said "y'all". I would love it if Nintendo released anything like a Game Pass on PC. I'm more of a PC person than anything else. I'm not really against anything releasing on PC.

If I could get Nintendo, and Sony games on PC day and date. Saves me lot of money needing to buy all the consoles every gen to play exclusives.

Last edited:

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Zip, you gotta post them shits along with your statement. You know this is a hottest thing on the internet right now and all eyes are on anything and everything associated with it.

Fair enough!

It was posted in this thread as this is the only place I've read about this game, so i figured it was accepted knowledge. Guess not, or I'm misremembering, or it's been disproven since.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I don't think dropping any old Pokémon game on Steam would automatically do gangbusters. The multiplayer aspect and the type of progression seems important for Palworld's success, too.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so jank lol

I can't build a bed on an empty plot of land but somehow it's fine if you're slightly clipping into a wall

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

A PC mainline Pokemon game would do stupid numbers Scarlet and Violet sold 23 million on Switch alone

Daramir

Jan 20, 2022
Germany
Im not sure if Pokemon on Steam would reach 2mil concurrent players. Steam users can be picky. Theres a reason why its mainly multiplayer games reaching that lonely level that not even games like single player games like BG3 could reach.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No, it would easily be much more than that.

Its an interesting thought for sure.

I honestly don't think so. It would really depend on how good the game is and the mechanics within it. PC folk go apeshit for indie survival games with building and crafting etc.

The biggest franchises around haven't sniffed anything close to 2 million CCU on Steam. The top 5 most played games on Steam are either F2P or indie titles that are sub $30. Pokemon is likely going to be full priced.

GTA5 is second best selling game of all time and has only had a total of 360k CCU on Steam.

It would be pretty big tho. I just dont know how much goodwill Nintendo has with PC gamers, though that may not matter. Just Pokemon being on PC would be big.

Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure if Pokemon on Steam would reach 2mil concurrent players. Steam users can be picky. Theres a reason why its mainly multiplayer games reaching that lonely level that not even games like single player games like BG3 could reach.

Yeah, I think that take is kind of insane. This is the second game to hit that number and we're already having people say Pokemon would've replicated that level of success. Turn based RPGs haven't been hitting these highs, afaik it is these multiplayer games like BRs, MOBAs, FPS, and Survivals.

edit:
For SP games it looks like hogwarts is the closest at less than 900k, so not even half 2 mil.