LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm from a small town in Portugal, when i was younger (i'm 43) at least two guys in their 16's died of pneumonia, this is not something out of the ordinary in a small town in a small country, how is it in a state like Ohio? Pneumonia, if you don't get to it on time, will fuck you up in an instant. When i was in ICU i saw at least 2 severe cases of it, it's scary as shit and i was dealing with some scary shit myself.

Pneumonia almost killed me when i was 26, living in Ohio, one of my lungs collapsed.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you understand what i said. I didn't say germany is hiding their deaths. I'm saying that Italy has to count every infected person that died as a coronavirus death for administrative reasons, other countries can estabilish co-morbidity. We'll have a clear picture on the actual impact and rates only well after this is all over.

The alternative is for you to believe that for some reason, the same virus, on the same population, has two different effects depending on which side of the alps it is.

As for the source, it was a vice-minister iirc. I'll try to find the article but it's already pretty old by now, and i've read lord know how much in those days.

EDIT: found it, it was an interview to Franco Ricciardi, a scientist on the board of directors of the WHO, it's in italian, here:

www.scienzainrete.it

Walter Ricciardi: ancora due settimane dure, possibile catastrofe negli USA

Abbiamo raggiunto al telefono Walter Ricciardi, consulente del Ministro della Salute, di fatto la figura più di spicco nella complicatissima gestione dell’emergenza coronavirus in Italia. La prima inevitabile domanda è: era proprio necessaria la chiusura di tutta l’Italia disposta dal decreto di...

Google translated article:

translate.google.com

Walter Ricciardi: ancora due settimane dure, possibile catastrofe negli USA

Abbiamo raggiunto al telefono Walter Ricciardi, consulente del Ministro della Salute, di fatto la figura più di spicco nella complicatissima gestione dell’emergenza coronavirus in Italia. La prima inevitabile domanda è: era proprio necessaria la chiusura di tutta l’Italia disposta dal decreto di...
German number are not just strange compared to Italy, they are strange compared to every country with major outbreaks (France, Spain, SK...). I doubt Germany is the only country counting the death differently, so German numbers jsut seem so out of place...

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Again, those deaths can't be hidden because they are a result of active cases + recovered + deaths
has nothing to do with different accounting. Those deaths who are counted differently would make a hole in the statistic. (or Italy would have ghost-deaths that come out of nowhere)

I don't get your issue here. How can't be death hiddens? If you estabilish co-morbidity, Corona isn't the cause of death, plain and simple. Or is someone who get shot with the Flu, a victim of the flu? Causes of death, especially in old people with many disease, are often murkily defined.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if those Dutch antibodies will come save the day before the vaccine

There are a lot of simultaneous research threads in the science world right now. You have not only people researching a vaccine, but work being done into drugs on the market right now to see if any are effective as a treatment (which would be immensely beneficial if we find one or more), plus research into the virus itself in all aspects. We've already gotten it sequences and have fairly basic understandings of it, as well as it seems to be able to grow it in labs now (vitally important for actually conducting the research on a vaccine and more). There are engineers on Twitter and social media reaching out and asking if there's a way to build low-cost but effective and easy to produce ventilators. There are, as Mr. Rogers would say, plenty of helpers out there in the world right now working tirelessly to help stem the tide of this and I'm grateful for the hard work they're putting in.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
No? I recently went to a funeral for someone who was suffering flu-like symptoms, who died of a cardiovascular event, and I wonder if we'll see reports of such things as this outbreak continues. I'm not claiming anything one way or the other and am not trying to incite any panic. This is a weird thing to argue about.

you posted this anecdote boosting another post with, again, a completely unsubstantiated "scary" thread where an unverified guy on twitter parroted a bunch of bullshit from a field he isn't in. I'm sure we're all wondering if there's more going on or to be discovered with this outbreak, but it is genuinely unhelpful to play connect the dots, especially in response to random, baseless posts on the internet.

like, i'm more annoyed with the person who posted the tweet in the first place, but still

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Classy response by Roasti's in Taylorville, IL. about the closure announcement.

37aYOIp.jpg
In the Twitter thread for the Governor of Ohio announcing all bars and sit-down restaurants were ordered closed, half the responses were screams of "tyranny", "taking away personal choice", "unconstitutional", and all the usual loud rhetoric.

This is why any attempt at a lockdown in the US is going to be verrrrrry difficult. Americans don't like being told what to do.

E3GxXSR.jpg

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the Twitter thread for the Governor of Ohio announcing all bars and sit-down restaurants were ordered closed, half the responses were screams of "tyranny", "taking away personal choice", "unconstitutional", and all the usual loud rhetoric.

This is why any attempt at a lockdown in the US is going to be verrrrrry difficult. Americans don't like being told what to do.

Even China didn't do a full country lock down.

It isn't feasible for any extended period of time I don't think.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
German number are not just strange compared to Italy, they are strange compared to every country with major outbreaks (France, Spain, SK...). I doubt Germany is the only country counting the death differently, so German numbers jsut seem so out of place...

It's sort of a moot point, because we can have a clear picture only well after the contagion end. At that point, we can have inference studies regarding mortality rates etc... that would define the statistics correctly. As of now, the WHO estimate is our best bet. No reason to doubt it and believe any particular state which has surely much more interests in showing the statistics differently or which can't test every citizen for pratical reasons.

Manicstreet

Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE
You would think during shutdown of places like restaurants that landlords would waive rent fees of the space and whatnot. It's not like anyone else would want their space. I don't think it will kill restaurants, staffing will be a problem like it always is, but you'd imagine we would find a way to insure they don't permanently close for financial reasons.

You do understand that the landlords have to answer to someone. The bank. They don't get paid, the bank doesn't get paid.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
This thing is really fucking my mental health and anxiety. I'm so worried for my parents right now and the UK government is doing nothing to stop it.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017

I was wondering how they would enforce that anyway. I'd hope that at the very least people will be smart enough to not go to those establishments.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is not common at all here for young people to die of pneumonia
Common perhaps is not the right word, but sadly it happens to people of all age, pneumonia is one of those illnesses that can kill you no matter the age and it might not be common but it certaintly isn't that out of the ordinary. In the US 50.000 people die every year from it.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
im so blessed my wife and I have WFH capabilities. But my patience will be tested with my children at home for over a month. Will have to get inventive.

I WFH for 7 years but recently switched to a local company(started two weeks ago). Luckily everything has been converted to WFH, but it's going to be trying with the kids home and needing to be confined to the immediate area.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We'll have to see how things go in Italy the next week or so, but I'm starting to think the South Korean model is the only feasible one.

Lots of testing, good availability of face masks, emphasis on public education on hygiene ... it's the best you can do. You can't shut down an entire country indefinitely.

Even if you get a vaccine, just like the regular flu, COVID19 could mutate with new strands, what are you going to do? Shut down all pro sports, movie theaters, universities, TV production, schools, restaurants, bars, airline industry, airports, etc. etc. every time that happens?

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Is that the cytokine storm I've been hearing about?

So this is a whole thread, but it is terrifying. Makes it looks like the real danger is that the virus attacks the heart after a few days, and there may be no stopping it if it goes that route. This kind of mirrors what we were hearing out of China.

I'm going to hope this is anecdotal and speculation at best. NY has over 750 cases now, one of the biggest outbreak states, and we would have heard more of this from more than one hospital in Seattle, no?

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
My girlfriend spoke to her reg and shes said they have seen so many patients with likely covid (in London) but they have run out of beds and she said to be prepared to see a lot of sad things these next few weeks.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I predict news reports next week where some "heroes" in the US kept there store open "for the good of the community," even though they were told to close

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Question: have you seen the memes about Corona Virus? I found some and they were pretty funny, I would like to ask if you guys would consider bad taste a thread for it.
If they're funny and not horrible:

www.resetera.com

Pics That Make One Laugh & Dawww and Other Media |OT 2020| Nobody Else Volunteered OT

bonne année, mes meilleurs amies j'espère que cette nouvelle année vous donnera une vie pleine de rires et de bonheur mais maintenant, j'ai juste ces photos du garçon sorcier et son petit ami au revoir

We are putting covid stuff behind spoilers so people don't have to see them.

If they're cruel keep them to yourself.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
We'll have to see how things go in Italy the next week or so, but I'm starting to think the South Korean model is the only feasible one.

Lots of testing, good availability of face masks, emphasis on public education on hygiene ... it's the best you can do. You can't shut down an entire country indefinitely.

Even if you get a vaccine, just like the regular flu, COVID19 could mutate with new strands, what are you going to do? Shut down all pro sports, movie theaters, universities, schools, restaurants, bars, airline industry, airports, etc. etc. every time that happens?

So wait, will face masks only benefit the sick as they've been saying or will it help protect the healthy?

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe late on this (and take with a grain of salt despite my trusting these people) but a couple of coworkers with friends and fam in the government / department of labour mentioned that apparently Ottawa will announce tomorrow that Ontario will be shutting down all businesses that aren't essential (groceries/pharmacies/gas). Probably going to incite another wave of panic buying.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks because the reality of the situation isn't going to hit most people until someone they know or even through a degree of separation dies. And it's obviously too late at that point.

It really does feel like a trainwreck playing out in super-slow motion at this point. In the movies they cut to DAY 12, DAY 100, DAY 400, but here, it's like... "Nope. You gotta' watch the stupid every day."

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So wait, will face masks only benefit the sick as they've been saying or will it help protect the healthy?

No one can say for sure, but the the whole "those face masks don't do shit!" crowd that hand waved their effectiveness away may have been premature.

South Korea and Japan have managed the spread of COVID19 much better than other countries, one has to ask if the large prevalence of face masks in those countries plays a role.

Even for people who say Japan isn't testing enough, if they had a crisis going on it would be showing up in their hospitals getting overwhelmed, but that's no where close.

May 21, 2018
Is the virus at large in the US just sort of at incubation state now? There's the lack of testing, but it seems like the numbers haven't exploded yet.

People around me are not taking the virus seriously at all. The usual "it's just like the flu" or "the media is making it into a hysteria" and usual bullshit.

I think it's a possibility that the virus just blows over with a few hundred deaths, and people judge that society overreacted. So the next time a truly frightening disease pandemic occurs, people do nothing.

It sucks that I think this way, but it seems like hundreds of thousands of people have to die before some Americans truly take it seriously.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
What are folks doing about food delivery services in the U.S.? Trying to still order food but mitigate risks where possible. Hard to know what restaurants are taking precautions and which aren't, along with which delivery services might be ideal. Weighing that against going to the grocery store and stocking up, but neither seems ideal.

Only thing I'm sure of is tipping super generously.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
A lot of people, especially in the US, are not concerned because numbers play a big role, they see the official numbers and are like, "but the flu kills more people!", "but it's only a few thousand people, we are 300 millions!" People are simple, or stupid, they need something more tangible to be really scared.

It's the same everywhere. Here in Spain people (from all ideologies) keep telling those phrases: "The flu kills more!", "The man kills more women every year!", "You are exaggerating!"

As I teach instrument classes, It was weeks since I approached my students and of course not playing their instruments, but everyone seemed oblivious to the virus. Even saw some police responding to their own general social networks phrases like "Bullshit, I will continue my normal life" when there was no lockdown and only advices of social interactions.

Now, as the deaths continue to double everyday, everyone is ok with the measures. The alt-right who was telling we all were exaggerating is accusing the government of acting too late and killing people in the process, of course.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Is the virus at large in the US just sort of at incubation state now? There's the lack of testing, but it seems like the numbers haven't exploded yet.

The virus takes anywhere from 5-14 days to manifest symptoms, the average I've seen is 11. In the US it's all over the country, it's just that a combination of that incubation period, plus insufficient testing is really clouding the accurate numbers of how many people per state are actually infected and transmitting at any given time. You don't have to be showing symptoms to be contagious, so someone could feel fine for a week or even two, passing the virus before finally feeling unwell enough to wonder if it's time to get checked out.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because of incubation period it's impossible to know everyone who is sick and make them wear masks. Making every single person wear masks on the other hand is easily achievable (once there is enough supply of masks). If everyone wore masks in public, it would have similar effect as "herd immunity".