eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WHO Situation Report (Issue 55, 10a CET March 15)

Global:
153517 cases (+10982)
5735 deaths (+343)

China:
81048 cases (+27)
3204 deaths (+10)

Outside of China:
72469 cases (+10955)
2531 deaths (+333)
143 countries/regions (+9)

===

At this pace tomorrow there will be more cases outside of China than in China :(
chinia is also a atharatrain state that was able to turn on a dimme and not only do a forced lockdown of a 10million + city, but move most of its econamy on a dim to support that move. the west cant do that.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
So I have a question. Let's say the curve is flattened, what next?

Does that mean we can resume our daily life? I dont think thats the case, unless Im wrong?

No, flattened curve will just mean there's a steady rate of new infections rather than the exponential growth we currently have. What we really need to do is test everyone. Flattening curve just means the spread is slowed down and the healthcare system won't be completely overwhelmed. And during that time, we continuing testing as many people as possible, contact tracing, and work on containing it.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
friends of friends workings for officials bodies recieved info tonight.

Same for me.
It's likely.
Seems Paris numbers are doubling every 72 hours and hospitals can't follow.
A 6PM curfew is possible in Paris region.
Source : some high ranked people in "éducation nationale" (the administration of education)

Rumors for now, grain of salt obviously

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
you're adding kindling to an (as of now, at least) completely unsubstantiated rumor with no source. until we hear an update on how the virus works from someone who knows and not some guy on twitter with ~2000 followers who "knows a guy" this is a fool's errand.
I didn't post the tweet. I was replying to it. Shouldn't be taken as anything but a random thought.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I have quarantined myself so to speak. I am in the high risk group and very vulnerable due to heart/lung diseases. I am now alone and away from my SO. She is working in healthcare so the risk is even higher if we stay together :( I am very worried about everything.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I am not going this week and depending on how this week goes the next weeks as well. NOW is the time for hardcore social distancing to slow this down, not when shit hits the fan, then it's too late. The sooner we do this the sooner this shitshow is over.
Just had a semi tense text exchange with my boss but it turned out OK. I'm not going in next week. About 10 minutes before the govenor said that restaurants and bars would be closed. I don't work in the service industry but this is big

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It took 6 months for them to develop a vaccine for Zika.

No, it took over two years to get to even phase 2 trials for that

If a vaccine for Covid-19 comes out in early/mid-2021 it will be the fastest a vaccine has ever been implemented. People are working on this at record speed even if it seems slow

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I called the hotline for NY and gave them my info as well as my concern that I might have it. They said I should get a call from the DOH in the next day or two to set up an appointment to get me tested. I think I'm gonna call off work tonight because I'm just too paranoid about this whole situation. Especially working at the airport and handling people's money...

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Same for me.
It's likely.
Seems Paris numbers are doubling every 72 hours and hospitals can't follow.
A 6AM curfew is possible in Paris region.
Source : some high ranked people in "éducation nationale" (the administration of education)

Rumors for now, grain of salt obviously

we only have around 5k réa beds. Hospital wont follow. We have to shut everything.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the states are the ones getting their shit together and trying to do something about this as opposed to the federal government. I wonder if taking these measures such as closing schools, banning gatherings, and starting to now close restaurants, will prevent us from going the way of Italy, Spain, and France, considering we're around a week behind (according to the numbers, though we haven't been testing...) yet are starting these measures a bit earlier.

I can only hope.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Each country counts death differently. Germany isn't counting dead people "with corona" but "from corona" which is a distinction Italy can't do because of how our healtcare work , basically:

Please source this. Germany can't hide those deaths because they would leave a hole in the active cases + recovered + deaths statistic.
Unless they are fudging the new case numbers to exclude the number of deaths from the previous day. As every state is independently giving the numbers, they couldn't be hiding this for long.

So please source your statement.

Jupiter IV

Jan 6, 2018
im so blessed my wife and I have WFH capabilities. But my patience will be tested with my children at home for over a month. Will have to get inventive.

I'm starting my first software engineering job this week. Beyond fortunate timing for me, my previous job can't happen remote. Not sure how well it will work out being I'm a junior developer but at least the job is possible to perform completely remote.

Mar 3, 2018
Im In Toronto, and I went out today to see a friend in the park near my house. We respected the social distancing and were apart enough, but it was obvious not many people were taking it seriously. I guess because the numbers arent as bad here, but im still nervous. With more people coming back from abroad I think the numbers will go up, but i hope im wrong. Im going to the store tomorrow morning early when its quiet to stock up some more essentials and then stay mostly indoors besides going out for a daily walk/bicycle ride to stay sane. I have three weeks off due to the school closures.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So I have a question. Let's say the curve is flattened, what next?

Does that mean we can resume our daily life? I dont think thats the case, unless Im wrong?

The world just can't shut down for months, so much would fall apart. The best thing to do is to get things a bit under control, have readily available free testing accessible to all all over the place, enforce stricter cleanliness practices by all, take more measures to check people traveling across borders or going into any type of traveling situation with many other people. Also the big thing is to help the medial professionals get ready, have hospital beds, and equipment ready for those that are sick. A big problem that was seen in Italy for example was that the hospitals were overrun with sick and couldn't keep up so you had lot of fatalities. We need to build up and get prepared a medical response that can handle large amounts of infected.

No one wants to have to do what China did to get things to slow down as they did, and on a global scale that would be disastrous. As others have pointed out how well SK has handled it while sorta keeping life going.

We slow it down, take care of those who do get sick and reduce fatalities, while hoping a vaccine comes along

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the states are the ones getting their shit together and trying to do something about this as opposed to the federal government. I wonder if taking these measures such as closing schools, banning gatherings, and starting to now close restaurants, will prevent us from going the way of Italy, Spain, and France, considering we're around a week behind (according to the numbers, though we haven't been testing...) yet are starting these measures a bit earlier.

I can only hope.
we wont know for 2 weeks. the sad fact is that we are working on 10 day lag.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Just a random thought: Has there ever been one topic that everyone discusses on a global scale and influences basically everybody's daily life at the same time? Basically everybody can relate to you in one way or the other and we form a global community on the same thing. There is events like Christmas every year but I feel the Corona crisis really might be a first.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I'll admit here in the UK I'm very anxious. Have older parents (over 50/60 both) and young children 7 and 4 respectively. What are the most vulnerable groups to COVID-19 whats the current death rate?

Death rates among healthy people under 40 is very low. But death rates above 60 are high. Something like 8% death rate over 70 which is pretty wild.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
chinia is also a atharatrain state that was able to turn on a dimme and not only do a forced lockdown of a 10million + city, but move most of its econamy on a dim to support that move. the west cant do that.
Taiwan and South Korea reacted to this forcefully and successfully. Both are liberal democracies.
The west can totally do all of what they did and more.
Our priorities are just fucked up.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
The world just can't shut down for months, so much would fall apart. The best thing to do is to get things a bit under control, have readily available free testing accessible to all all over the place, enforce stricter cleanliness practices by all, take more measures to check people traveling across borders or going into any type of traveling situation with many other people. Also the big thing is to help the medial professionals get ready, have hospital beds, and equipment ready for those that are sick. A big problem that was seen in Italy for example was that the hospitals were overrun with sick and couldn't keep up so you had lot of fatalities. We need to build up and get prepared a medical response that can handle large amounts of infected.

No one wants to have to do what China did to get things to slow down as they did, and on a global scale that would be disastrous. As others have pointed out how well SK has handled it while sorta keeping life going

China had to go full ham on this shit since they are the epicenter. SK was a bit of luck with where the cases came in, but mostly they did not fuck around. US needs to go into damage control for a few weeks now with lockdown to basically tally the damage then can begin to move back to slower production once systems are in place.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
So there's a positive coming out of my town (Clinton, MO) and now there's a doctor from the hospital on Facebook basically bucking the trend and giving everyone info off the cuff...

Prepare for communally outbreak because it's happening, the county health care org. isn't prepared, we need mandatory quarantine and schools closed, etc.

Feeling great...ugh...

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan and South Korea reacted to this forcefully and successfully. Both are liberal democracies.
The west can totally do all of what they did and more.
Our priorities are just fucked up.
Taiwan and SK didn't do complete lockdowns though. They just had plentiful testing. What do we take from them?

And how did Taiwan stay at sub 100 through all of this?

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
924 new cases + 36 new deaths in France, 5423 cases + 127 deaths (2.3%) in total.
1452 new cases + 96 new deaths In Spain, 6391 cases + 292 deaths (4.5%) in total.
998 new cases + 4 new deaths in Germany (0a - 11a), 5813 cases + 13 deaths (0.2%) in total.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting my first software engineering job this week. Beyond fortunate timing for me, my previous job can't happen remote. Not sure how well it will work out being I'm a junior developer but at least the job is possible to perform completely remote.

If your company uses software like goto meeting or slack there is screen sharing capabilities. Do you have a headset with a mic?

joeposh

Oct 27, 2017
I called the hotline for NY and gave them my info as well as my concern that I might have it. They said I should get a call from the DOH in the next day or two to set up an appointment to get me tested. I think I'm gonna call off work tonight because I'm just too paranoid about this whole situation. Especially working at the airport and handling people's money...

You should stay home, 100%.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Great , 39 cases total for Quebec, one of these is at my daughter school....should have guessed international school and people coming back from march break

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Anyone have a link to the source of this graph?
www.ft.com

Coronavirus tracker: the latest figures as countries fight the Covid-19 resurgence | Free to read

The FT analyses the scale of outbreaks and tracks the vaccine rollouts around the world

edit: It's paywalled. I could access it the first time, but clicking it again sends me to their subscription page. One page free trial maybe?

edit 2: try this.
twitter.com

John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter

“NEW chart on coronavirus: we're now tracking death toll trajectories as well as cases • Deaths in Italy & Spain now growing much faster than they did in China at same stage • More deaths in Italy in last 24h than on any day in Wuhan Live version here: https://t.co/VcSZISFxzF”

Last edited:

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Any estimates on how long this quarantine will last? Until a vaccine is developed? Will we have to stay quarantined for the rest of the year?

Probably till at least June, then a slow opening of places with more rigorous testing in public like Singapore does. World leaders will cut their losses with the economy eventually and not want the quarantine to continue too long. The idea of it is to slow the spread enough so hospitals don't completely faulter, so when it's lifted enough people have immunity, and it being summer, that the rate of infection should be slow enough to "safely" lift quarantine.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Spain and Philipines are in diplomatic talks with China; China has pledged support in terms of medical supplies and facilitation of future exports of medical equipments and devices.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Classy response by Roasti's in Taylorville, IL. about the closure announcement.

37aYOIp.jpg

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018

No one wants to have to do what China did to get things to slow down as they did, and on a global scale that would be disastrous. As others have pointed out how well SK has handled it while sorta keeping life going.

We slow it down, take care of those who do get sick and reduce fatalities, while hoping a vaccine comes along

See that's what I am thinking. I can't think closing schools for more than 3 months is going to work well. High School and Elementary Schools in my opinion just wont last online long. SO much is going to get screwed up. Universities can go online no problem.

But working in IT in a school, I just don't see how our kids are going to benefit for a closure for 3 months. I already am going to dread the next few weeks, cause I feel like teachers and students will try hard to get to an approach that can help the students feel like nothing has changed, but the reality is, this is going to get worse for everybody.

I don't know. I know we have to stop the spread, but as a school you have to think of the kids, and my thoughts are, this second half of their year is going to truly fuck them over.

Which sucks. Everything is changing and crashing hard. The hope is we work hard to lower the intensity of the crash. I hope every country can at least slow everything down.

Still though, I feel for those kids.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
The virus being more deadly on a side of the alp than the other is a ridicolous notion scientifically speaking.
Yeah, which is why I asked.
As we are only talking about absolute deaths numbers, not rates, asymptomatic / mild cases that aren't counted are irrelevant.

So it just comes down to how Germany is defining the death number? People will be pissed if the government knowingly kept the numbers low that way...