Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Merkel is speaking now

Belgium will do the same. Meaning no Tomorrowland
giphy.gif

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
People being miserable is funny now...?

The part I don't get is re-opening the schools this early when closing them had the biggest impact.

With everything we know so far it seems that closing schools had the least amount of impact compared to any other measure.
It was done, because it normally works very well with the flu, and that is the closest thing we have to the corona-virus.

But a lot of studies show that kids not only show no severe symptoms, but also seem not to spread the virus as much as they do with the flu.
Be aware, this is not 100% confirmed, but we have a lot of clues that seem to point in this direction.

www.zeit.de

Schulschließungen: Kitas und Schulen zu – was bringt das tatsächlich?

Geht es nach der Leopoldina, sollen Kinder nur langsam in die Schule zurückkehren. Doch das hat große Nebenwirkungen. Und wie effektiv hilft es überhaupt gegen Covid-19?

Also thats why Kindergartens won't open because kids can still be carriers of the virus, so you need some older kids that understand the situation and can obey to the distancing rules.

Jan 2, 2018
Merkel spoke.

Some things I picked up:

Some classes of some schools will open on the 4ths of May, mainly graduating classes, step by step
Shops with a size of up to 800qm can open under strict regulations
No religious gatherings/events
No major events until the end of August

The "Kontaktsperre" (our mild "shut-down") will continue with certain changes, like the ones I listed, until the beginning of May.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not just talking about one city...
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...truggles-with-coronavirus-tests-idUSKCN21W236

I work directly with people in Mumbai, the lockdown started as they were trying to get computers shipped to their homes to WFH and the government wouldn't even let that happen. Everything you hear is true.
If you have symptoms, yes. The tests will be carried out and if found positive, whole block will be put in quarantine lockdown for 14 days.

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao at the few above who are about the May 4th school reopenings. If anybody else would have suggested opening anything that soon they'd be called morons ITT.

I'm with Merkels suggestions btw but I honestly don't know the right or wrong paths.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Bad news is that Singapore continues a huge growth in cases - now 447 today - but the good news is that the soft lockdown actually appears to be working. More than 400 of the cases are from the foreign worker dorms, who are now being extensively tested, spaced out and given enhanced care.

I get the impression the softlock goes longer than this month, but having <50 new cases apart from the dorms shows that the process appears to be working. (We also have a requirement to wear a mask outside for almost any reason, punished by law)

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I expected these to go up today, that's a really nice surprise.
43k tests vs yesterday's 26k
Yes, I think we can now say these numbers are positive.
Lombardia's new cases are 827, after that they were often over 1k.
Piemonte's situation is a bit worrisome, it has 539 new cases and in the next 7 days it will become the 2nd most hit region, because its decrease curve is slower.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
doesn't Michigan have a large number of infections? do they think it is a hoax too? what the
This is a purely-partisan operation. The group that started it is funded by Betsy Devos and family. It is an attempt to turn Michigan into a shit show. 2020 election has long since started. Trump can not let Michigan become an easy victory for Biden as it would affect other midwestern states. Just look at social media, the bot networks have gone all in on Michigan since the protest was announced. This is to harm Whitmer and reduce her support and help Trump.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
With everything we know so far it seems that closing schools had the least amount of impact compared to any other measure.
It was done, because it normally works very well with the flu, and that is the closest thing we have to the corona-virus.

But a lot of studies show that kids not only show no severe symptoms, but also seem not to spread the virus as much as they do with the flu.
Be aware, this is not 100% confirmed, but we have a lot of clues that seem to point in this direction.

www.zeit.de

Schulschließungen: Kitas und Schulen zu – was bringt das tatsächlich?

Geht es nach der Leopoldina, sollen Kinder nur langsam in die Schule zurückkehren. Doch das hat große Nebenwirkungen. Und wie effektiv hilft es überhaupt gegen Covid-19?

Also thats why Kindergartens won't open because kids can still be carriers of the virus, so you need some older kids that understand the situation and can obey to the distancing rules.
www.heise.de

Neue RKI-Corona-Fall-Studie: Einfluss der Kontaktsperre eher mäßig

Mit dem Bezug auf den Erkrankungstermin kann man den Krankheitsverlauf von Covid-19 genauer verfolgen und den Effekt von Maßnahmen ablesen.

"Man sieht den starken Einfluss der Schulschließung am 16. März jedoch so gut wie keinen Einfluss durch die Kontaktsperre am 23. März."

Closing schools had the biggest impact, the "Kontaktsperre" almost none.

Nov 13, 2017
Regarding sports:

Have they thought of designing new helmets that cover the mouths of players so that they don't cough and breath on each other? For all sports.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
WB is an anomaly who is weirdly refusing to do more tests, hiding numbers and not following strict lockdown procedures. Think of it as Florida of India. The state government there loves to be in conflict with central gov.

Except it has a population of around 91 million while Florida's population is 21 million. And the population density is 140.8 p/km in Florida versus 1029 p/km. India is going to be a problem, I got to live through the random decision to all the sudden eliminate currency denominations. That kind of decision making with the population density with the lack of infrastructure is a nightmare for dealing with this virus.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
As an elementary and middle school teacher in a major metropolitan area, there is NO WAY that having students back in class will NOT result in an unmitigated disaster among staff and families. The amount of physical interaction that happens in school at any given minute throughout the entire day probably makes it the worst example of "social distancing" possible. I could spend the next hour typing out every scenario that could result in a transmission of the virus and not even come close to exhausting the possibilities. I cannot fathom how this is even remotely considered...even with less students going back and the theoretical idea that "asymptomatic" children don't pose much transmission risk (which doesn't even make sense to me).

For one small example, I see 100s of students across all grade levels from kindergarten up to 8th grade. They come from different classrooms, from their homeroom teacher to my classroom. 30 of them at a time, 7 times a day. Materials and desks are shared amongst all of those groups. Think about the number of interactions there. A single one of those students comes from a family of unknown size and exposure level.

Hell, typically an entire classroom goes into a mini quarantine and is shut down if a single bedbug is found on one chair in the room.

Sorry for the rant and overly aggressive post. I love you all and wish everyone the absolute best. Apologies for not being the most composed here.

Last edited:

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Bad news is that Singapore continues a huge growth in cases - now 447 today - but the good news is that the soft lockdown actually appears to be working. More than 400 of the cases are from the foreign worker dorms, who are now being extensively tested, spaced out and given enhanced care.

I get the impression the softlock goes longer than this month, but having <50 new cases apart from the dorms shows that the process appears to be working. (We also have a requirement to wear a mask outside for almost any reason, punished by law)
The foreign worker situation really blew up in our faces, now hopefully they won't be ignored again once this is over

Nov 13, 2017
Cuomo announced: Antibody finger prick tests begin this week. 2,000 per day conducted by the NYS DOH. NY has asked FDA to help them get up to 100,000 antibody tests a day.

M
Oct 27, 2017
As an elementary and middle school teacher in a major metropolitan area, there is NO WAY that having students back in class will NOT result in an unmitigated disaster among staff and families. The amount of physical interaction that happens in school at any given minute throughout the entire day probably makes it the worst example of "social distancing" possible. I could spend the next hour typing out every scenario that could result in a transmission of the virus and not even come close to exhausting the possibilities. I cannot fathom how this is even remotely considered...even with less students going back and the theoretical idea that "asymptomatic" children don't post much transmission risk (which doesn't even make sense to me).

For one small example, I see 100s of students across all grade levels from kindergarten up to 8th grade. They come from different classrooms, from their homeroom teacher to my classroom. 30 of them at a time, 7 times a day. Materials and desks are shared amongst all of those groups. Think about the number of interactions there. A single one of those students comes from a family of unknown size and exposure level.

Hell, typically an entire classroom goes into a mini quarantine and is shut down if a single bedbug is found on one chair in the room.

Sorry for the rant and overly aggressive post. I love you all and wish everyone the absolute best. Apologies for not being the most composed here.

No worries, we get it, and we're starting to see education institutions plan for months out instead of merely weeks.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
As an elementary and middle school teacher in a major metropolitan area, there is NO WAY that having students back in class will NOT result in an unmitigated disaster among staff and families. The amount of physical interaction that happens in school at any given minute throughout the entire day probably makes it the worst example of "social distancing" possible. I could spend the next hour typing out every scenario that could result in a transmission of the virus and not even come close to exhausting the possibilities. I cannot fathom how this is even remotely considered...even with less students going back and the theoretical idea that "asymptomatic" children don't post much transmission risk (which doesn't even make sense to me).

Yeah people aren't understanding this. Without massive interventions and massive structural and pedagogical changes to schools, opening them up without herd immunity (ie a vaccine) or some other unanticipated miracle at this point (and I'm talking even next school year) would be just tragically disastrous. I work with many teachers/staff that would be in 'at risk' groups. We pack 30-35 kids into each class. Our school is at maximum capacity with all classrooms filled at all hours of the school day. For the most-part, classrooms are not large.

Yeah, no.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SD update +180 now at 1168 infected ( 934 from a single county).

Coronavirus updates and information

South Dakota's The South Dakota Department of Health (SD-DOH) continues to monitor the emergence of the novel coronavirus. We are working with the CDC and our healthcare partners across the state to prepare for and respond to a potential case.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Over 1100 reported deaths already today without numbers from any "Big" states besides New York and Louisiana? Hoo boy, today is going to be rough.

So much for the model that said last week was the peak, we are running way ahead right now.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Number:

+2625 new cases (71030 total)
+351 deaths (3156 total)

Deaths are still catching up from the weekend but cases dropped way back down which is a good sign. 700+ people were discharged from the hospital system as well which is relatively stable.
EVqPhtdWsAA4iBm

EVqPnogXsAYfwIu

Last edited:

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Waiting for the Press briefing for covid-19 in France, i see a banner saying that in retaliation to the French justice ordering Amazon to focus on food and medical supplies deliveries on french territory, Amazon decided to close all its French facilities for 5 days (information sourced from unions and Amazon direction).

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah people aren't understanding this. Without massive interventions and massive structural and pedagogical changes to schools, opening them up without herd immunity (ie a vaccine) or some other unanticipated miracle at this point (and I'm talking even next school year) would be just tragically disastrous. I work with many teachers/staff that would be in 'at risk' groups. We pack 30-35 kids into each class. Our school is at maximum capacity with all classrooms filled at all hours of the school day. For the most-part, classrooms are not large.

Yeah, no.

I also forgot to include this in my original post on this. 50 New York City school employees have died from COVID-19 since this occurred. There's no sure way to know how these employees were exposed, but it's easy enough to imagine.

https://www.politico.com/states/new...951&email_subject=tuesday-414-covid19-updates

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Today in Turkey,

34K tests (477K total)
4.2K infected (69K total)
115 deaths (1.5K total)
875 recoveries (5.6K total)

1.8K in ICU total
1K intubated total

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Governor Andrew Cuomo is issuing an executive order today that requires all people must wear a mask or a form of face-covering in public when social distancing is not an option, in 3 days.

Last edited: