Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Sure that's how I feel but The more evidence I have of it being bad the easier it'll be to convince them

Her parents not mine. Anyway I checked out some articles just now. It seems their cases have jumped nearly 50% in the last couple of days. They're doing Florence which is in between central Italy and the hot spots up north. Hoping I can convince them to go next year.

As for quarantine the only time we've done that here, so far, is people coming in from China or the cruises right?

There exists no vacation on this earth where I would willingly risk getting this if I were a 60+ year old man with pre-existing conditions.

The #1 reason they should postpone is that case-fatality rate (CFR) for those 60+ are bad, especially for men. If they have any pre-existing health conditions, absolutely do not go.

Here's a link that goes over the CFR, your can verify the data from this study that was just released.

60-69 years old: 3.6%
50-59 years old: 1.3%

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION : DEATH RATE
Cardiovascular disease: 10.5%
Diabetes: 7.3%
Chronic respiratory disease: 6.3%
Hypertension: 6.0%
Cancer: 5.6%

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.reuters.com

Norway detects its first case of coronavirus

Norway's Public Health Agency (FHI) said on Wednesday that one person had tested positive for coronavirus and was being kept isolated at home, in what was the country's first confirmed case.

OSLO (Reuters) - Norway's Public Health Agency (FHI) said on Wednesday that one person had tested positive for coronavirus and was being kept isolated at home, in what was the country's first confirmed case.
The person had returned from China late last week, but did not appear ill and was unlikely to infect others, the agency said.
"This person is not showing symptoms but ... was tested after returning from the region of China where the outbreak began," FHI director Line Vold told a news conference.
The number of new infections inside China - the source of the outbreak - was for the first time overtaken by those elsewhere on Wednesday as the virus spread to a growing number of countries.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
There exists no vacation on this earth where I would willingly risk getting this if I were a 60+ year old man with pre-existing conditions.

The #1 reason they should postpone is that case-fatality rate (CFR) for those 60+ are bad, especially for men. If they have any pre-existing health conditions, absolutely do not go.

Here's a link that goes over the CFR, your can verify the data from this study that was just released.

Wow, way better than I thought for the 50+ groups.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Some guy looked deathly ill as I got off the bus today in London and he coughed directly next to me. I literally could see the droplets came out and land next to me/on me.

Good thing I am not a hypochondriac... oh wait, yes I am. Honestly it felt like a scene out of Outbreak.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

How do i even know if don't already do hypertension or have cardiovascular disease if i dont know it?

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that is concerning is the possibility of a global shortage of masks for when fire season hits. Last year was a particularily awful all around the world :/ I just remember how bad the Bay Area was from the fires 2 years ago and the heavy smoke lasted a week, causing masks to be sold out everywhere.

I hope companies that make these masks are able to keep up with demand, especially if a lot of unaffected areas are also buying them up, too.

This will be a problem in Australia, I'm predicting, if things pick up here. With our fire season, we had to dip into our stockpile for masks for the smoke. We still have a stockpile reserved for medical use, but, there's still a lot of shortages country wide

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be damned, I found a mask I had used for some painting for like, a day, and it's an R95 mask. Just the one, but I guess it's nice that I have it.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
So what's the reality here and what is the fake news?

I am seeing a lot of fearmongering in the news and doomsday predictions, what is the actual reality here?

Reality is quite straightforward.

If you are in the at risk groups, take extra caution and follow advice published in this thread, by the cdc and WHO. Send the sensible, non hyperbolic advice to those that you know and especially to those who are in the at risk groups.

This is a deadly disease. But one that is easily preventable and can be combated. The death rate is very, very low overall. This isn't a disease that will take a heavy toll on us, yet make damn sure you dont brush it off. There is a big, big chance you will be fine though.

If you are not in the at risk groups, by all means go about your daily business, and incorporate the slightly inconvenient practices recommended in this thread in your daily routine. Unless you are making a day of it, try to not go out in very crowded places. Of course shopping at times needs to be done, so just be extra vigilant and follow best practices.

No need to stock up greatly, or at all if you are not in the at risk groups. However if you are at risk of quite close to a city area, you can start do so little by little each time you buy food stuffs. But tbh, if you are in a developed country you will be largely fine.

Treatments already are being developed and used. Research is fucking rapid at figuring out what this thing is. Vaccines are being developed at an incredible rate. China will pour countless money into beating this thing, their economy and superpower status depends on it. They will likely succeed much faster then we think.

Ignore a LOT of social media bullshit, seeing as its either panic inducing clickbait for money or fake news. Use reputable sources. You can read this thread, but tbh the usual era hyperbole is seeping into this thread, and posters are blowing up a disease that isn't a world ending one or one that has anywhere a concerning fatality rate. I would be much, much more concerned if all this went down in the dead of summer and all age groups were seeing high mortality rates. That isn't the case.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
No one has any idea what the white house is going to announce exactly, but the fact that it's the president proper doing the presser almost assures it'll be a partisan shitshow in some way or another.

I honestly have no idea who the heads of HHS or the CDC are right now, or if we even have them given it feels like 80% of positions are empty in this government or at best have acting personell.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yooooo that Diabetes death rate???

What's the reason behind that?

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
is there a live stream of the press conference anywhere?

Edit: not CNNgo, that is only 10 minute preview

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Do press conferences usually start with a bunch of old men standing awkwardly while staring blankly at the camera?

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Trump is going to say everything is fine because he doesn't want the Dow to drop and he could care less about human lives.