• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
This video showing questionable containment procedures over at my place has gone uhh viral. It's concerning but also fucking hilarious.

Iranian dude: "I am Iranian. I was hospitalized yesterday, but tests have shown that I'm not infected. I'm thankful to doctors, they're professionals. I'm healthy, thank God!"

What happens next is self-explanatory.

the final bit:

Reporter: "Was that man released?
Nurse: "Yeah, yeah, he's not alright"

Hopefully that one confirmed case will be it for a while (dude was hospitalized at the border). The real thing that scares me is the fucking hysteria over it. "We all gonna die" bullshit everywhere.

First, the viral vid of the Deputy health minister and how he most likely spread it with his colleagues
And now this? This can't be real

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's not productive for people to stock up on respirators at this stage. For one, using them correctly requires some training. For another, so does disposing of them.

But more than anything, this: there isn't a large enough global supply to provide healthcare workers with enough respirators as is. We're already seeing backorders from the Chinese factories. The supply needs to be rationed so that the most at-risk frontline carers get them.

Who is going to ration these? It's not like the government hasnt had enough time to do something, but they let people buy all the mask and sell them expensive on ebay. I tried to get some online, no chance, went to the store and got two of them, everything else was sold out, and that was 3 days ago.

I would even send mine to hospital, but no idea to whom?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who is going to ration these? It's not like the government hasnt had enough time to do something, but they let people buy all the mask and sell them expensive on ebay. I tried to get some online, no chance, went to the store and got two of them, everything else was sold out, and that was 3 days ago.

Pretty much all countries have some sort of medical supply reserves to handle health emergencies.
Ideally, you would have a stockpile in some government warehouse somewhere that you can distribute to hospitals and at risk populations.
I suspect no country has stockpiled enough for this type of outbreak, but hopefully we rectify that moving forward.

I do think that if you are a young, healthy person, not trying to buy a mask is the responsible thing to do at this point.

Jun 20, 2019
I was talking with my sister-in-law about COVID19 last night, she's a nurse in a US hospital that I'm not going to name. She told me that the nursing staff have been instructed to use the filter cartridges in their respirators for their full 12 hour shift. This is for use in the TB ward: they have been told to store the masks with cartridges in between accessing the ward. Prior to this change it was policy to discard cartridges every time you left the ward.

e: To clarify, there's nothing here that indicates US medical facilities are currently experiencing shortages; they could be stockpiling their normal supply in preparation.

Last edited:

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
This video showing questionable containment procedures over at my place has gone uhh viral. It's concerning but also fucking hilarious.

Iranian dude: "I am Iranian. I was hospitalized yesterday, but tests have shown that I'm not infected. I'm thankful to doctors, they're professionals. I'm healthy, thank God!"

the final bit:

Hopefully that one confirmed case will be it for a while (dude was hospitalized at the border). The real thing that scares me is the fucking hysteria over it. "We all gonna die" bullshit everywhere.

Is this in Iran or somewhere else? Sorry if I missed it

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Pretty much all countries have some sort of medical supply reserves to handle health emergencies.
Ideally, you would have a stockpile in some government warehouse somewhere that you can distribute to hospitals and at risk populations.
I suspect no country has stockpiled enough for this type of outbreak, but hopefully we rectify that moving forward.

I do think that if you are a young, healthy person, not trying to buy a mask is the responsible thing to do at this point.

I am not so sure about this, i just was at the main-german-website for these kind of things, and read what they have decided, cause there was a meeting with some EU-Countries.

- Auf europäischer Ebene ist geplant, Schutzausrüstung für medizinisches Personal zu beschaffen.
"Its planed to get protective gear for medical personal for the EU"

- Die Gesundheitsminister Italiens, Österreichs, Kroatiens, der Schweiz, Sloweniens, Frankreichs und Deutschlands haben sich darauf geeinigt, Reisende von und nach Italien nach dem gleichen Muster über das Virus zu informieren.

"They want to inform travelers going to and from Italy about the Virus"

- Außerdem wollen die Länder epidemiologische Daten sowie Informationen zum klinischen Management der Epidemie zwischen den Ländern austauschen. Generelle Grenzschließungen lehnten die Gesundheitsminister ab. Ob Großveranstaltungen abgesagt werden müssen, solle von Fall zu Fall geprüft werden.

"Not closing the boarder, and if events are gonna be cancelled should be decided from each event"

www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de

Informationen zum Coronavirus

Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / Covid-19): Aktueller Stand | FAQs | Maßnahmen

I know that they are professionals, and i should have more trust into them, but it sounds like they are not taking it seriously.

Also from the website: 18 known cases who have/had Corona, the most are healthy again and released.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017

There's probably going to be something like donation drives down the line. For now, it's fine if people just refrain from scooping up everything still left in stock.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking with my sister-in-law about COVID19 last night, she's a nurse in a US hospital that I'm not going to name. She told me that the nursing staff have been instructed to use the filter cartridges in their respirators for their full shift 12 hour shift. This is for use in the TB ward: they have been told to store the masks with cartridges in between accessing the ward. Prior to this change it was policy to discard cartridges every time you left the ward.

Yes my wife's hospital was told the same thing last week. My guess is suppliers are telling these hospitals to expect a shortage in the future

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You should rethink your advice. Just because a person is young and healthy doesn't mean all the younger ones shouldn't wear one.

Just as an example: right now I share an apartment with my mother and if anyone should wear a mask, it's me. Why? Because I could give her the virus too. Everyone who is worried should get one if possible, especially if it's not you who is in danger but maybe one another.

Depending on the situation your advice doesn't fit.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie I'm surprised I didn't see reports in Florida after the Super Bowl. I'm supposed to go to WrestleMania in a month and some change and I'm worried about that.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm supposed to be going to Hungary next week, part of me thinks, carry on as usual, the other half thinks non essential travel might not a great idea at the moment.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should rethink your advice. Just because a person is young and healthy doesn't mean all the younger ones shouldn't wear one.

Just as an example: right now I share an apartment with my mother and if anyone should wear a mask, it's me. Why? Because I could give her the virus too. Everyone who is worried should get one if possible, especially if it's not you who is in danger but maybe one another.

Depending on the situation your advice doesn't fit.
Per CDC recommendation: If you are not personally at a risk and don't have symptoms you should not be wearing a mask. If you do have symptoms, you should not be hanging around at risk people (and try to limit your contact with people in general).

Now obviously, these are just general recommendations and they can't capture all possible conditions of human living. But there is a limited supply right now and not everyone will be able to get masks. I try to ask myself who is not going to get a mask if I grab one, and at least in my case, it makes very little sense for me to get them rather than literally any person over 50.
If you feel that's not the case for you, that's fine, I'm not gonna call the mask police or anything.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why is the number of deaths in Italy so high compared to other European countries?

The situation in Germany is kinda worrying. One of the two cases who were infected recently went to a carnival parade and probably infected a high amount of people. The other one (his wife) is a kindergarten teacher.

Thanks to carnival, we will probably see a huge spike in confirmed cases in 10-14 days after the incubation period...

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017

Plenty of countries have ZERO medical supply reserves. I live in and work in Sweden. My region is currently, as of right now, discussing about maybe setting one up for the outbreak. We had a minor crisis just last year when some regions switched from their main supplier to another which caused a backlog lasting about two weeks. Supplies ran out in days. Surgeries had to be postponed.

I work at a primary care centre and the regional infection control officer strongly hinted that we'd be last in line if or when supplies run out.

Oh, they also adviced US - a medical clinic - to not stockpile PPE because it needs to go to prioritised clinics elsewhere. So yeah.

Last edited:

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
What's with some places apparently discharging people from the hospital this soon after they supposedly recovered? Is it proven beyond any doubt that you no longer shed the virus once recovered then?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Plenty of countries have ZERO medical supply reserves. I live in and work in Sweden. My region is currently, as of right now, discussing about maybe setting one up for the outbreak. We had a minor crisis just last year when some regions switched from their main supplier to another which caused a backlog lasting about two weeks. Supplies ran out in days. Surgeries had to be postponed.

I work at a primary care centre and the regional infection control officer strongly hinted that we'd be last in line if or when supplies run out.
For real?
Surely you have some sort of government body to handle natural disasters and the likes. I assumed having emergency medical supply is a pretty standard part of the operation of these bodies. I know they were in every country I lived at.

But in any case, I think it's pretty clear that this is something countries need to address moving forward.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
Do all these people rushing to buy masks wash their hands? With soap? Correctly?

This is amazing to me. We are in 2020 and some people still do not wash their hands after taking a shit.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
For real?
Surely you have some sort of government body to handle natural disasters and the likes. I assumed having emergency medical supply is a pretty standard part of the operation of these bodies. I know they were in every country I lived at.

But in any case, I think it's pretty clear that this is something countries need to address moving forward.

You'd be surprised. I doubt we're alone. A lot of healthcare systems all across the world operates on the same just-in-time logistics every other industry relies on. Socialstyrelsen - our FDA/CDC equivalent - have made a public announcement that PPE is a regional responsibility. We're basically on our own.

And definitely, yes. If this turns into a full blown pandemic a lot of Swedes is going to get a very rough wake up call.

Oct 25, 2017
Do all these people rushing to buy masks wash their hands? With soap? Correctly?

This is amazing to me. We are in 2020 and some people still do not wash their hands after taking a shit.
When I worked at Walmart and Lowes it was absolutely crazy to how many people would come into the bathroom and take a dump then walk straight out.
Walmart was maybe 50%
Lowes had to be 30% at most washing their hands.
The construction guys and contractors in there absolutely never did

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Some very useful information here:

multimedia.scmp.com

Coronavirus: the disease Covid-19 explained

Despite China’s best efforts the coronavirus outbreak has spread rapidly around the world. Many cities in Hubei province remain in lockdown and an increasing number of international flights to China have been suspended.

This in particular:

ddr8fdh-b9db39ce-b639-428d-9424-ed3c138b7bf0.jpg

Wash your hand properly people.
But.... The front is labelled as the back and the back is labelled as the front.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018

the final bit:

I feel like we're living in the opening scenes of a horror movie. Fucking hell.

NMNR

Oct 29, 2017
Backordered is an understatement; China has basically banned their export. Going to put Chinese global manufacturing "role" in a new light after this ends, and not in a good way.

Many of my Chinese friends I know in London are buying as many masks as they can from eBay and sending it back to China too.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Many of my Chinese friends I know in London are buying as many masks as they can from eBay and sending it back to China too.

One thing that is concerning is the possibility of a global shortage of masks for when fire season hits. Last year was a particularily awful all around the world :/ I just remember how bad the Bay Area was from the fires 2 years ago and the heavy smoke lasted a week, causing masks to be sold out everywhere.

I hope companies that make these masks are able to keep up with demand, especially if a lot of unaffected areas are also buying them up, too.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
So my girlfriends parents are heading to Italy next month for a vacation. Dad is 66 and Mom is around 55 maybe. They're doing Rome and Florence. I haven't really been following how it's looking in Italy. Should they try to reschedule? They already took time off and it'll be a big hassle so I'm guessing they won't want to but if it's looking rough enough I'd do my part to convince them

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
When I worked at Walmart and Lowes it was absolutely crazy to how many people would come into the bathroom and take a dump then walk straight out.
Walmart was maybe 50%
Lowes had to be 30% at most washing their hands.
The construction guys and contractors in there absolutely never did
Most of the manual labor contractors I've worked with over the years didn't even bother to wash their hands after a day of work, let alone after using the bathroom. I honestly don't understand why so many guys have zero issue spending their entire adult life with dirty hands, dirt caked under their fingernails - it's fuckin gross.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
Why stores aren't putting a 1 box per customer restriction on masks is beyond me at this point. Here in Vancouver people are clearing out any stock and selling them for profit. It's only a matter of time here though before it will spread here in Vancouver. People in general especially on public transit are disgusting, lady last night was hacking her lungs out without covering her mouth then hocking up phlegm, wiping her nose and smearing it on the seat next to her pretty much everyone around her got up and moved and as she kept doing it people literally emptied the skytrain car. Then you wonder how people get sick and it's not just her but 90% of people don't cover there mouths it's pretty disgusting. Really isn't much you can do though at this point if you're gonna get it you're gonna get it people are too ignorant and disgusting for you to avoid it if it's gonna happen.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone know the distribution of the fatality rate of the seasonal flu depending on the age of the patient? I've seen the number 0,1% floating around to compare the cfr of the common flu with that of Corona. But I assume that's the average cfr among all patients.
According to this, the cfr of Corona is 0,2% for 10-39 year olds. How does that compare to the common flu?

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So my girlfriends parents are heading to Italy next month for a vacation. Dad is 66 and Mom is around 55 maybe. They're doing Rome and Florence. I haven't really been following how it's looking in Italy. Should they try to reschedule? They already took time off and it'll be a big hassle so I'm guessing they won't want to but if it's looking rough enough I'd do my part to convince them

Reschedule for next year. Why take the risk?

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
You could always give up your job and stay at home i suppose :( if you have a family then you'll probably catch it eventually anyways though.

To me it's really about maybe trying to postpone getting it for a bit...but as long as they don't close schools here, i am convinced my son WILL bring this home sooner than later.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The problem is, as Nivash already mentioned, nothing is being stored anymore, but rather delivered when needed, and i think this is gonna bite us in the ass so bad at times like this. Same as with food, at most grocerie-shops around here (like Rewe), the food is delivered daily, cause they don't use storage anymore, but get deliveries when needed. So what happens when cities get closed cause of the virus or something?

Captjohnboyd
If those were my my relatives, i wold tell them to postpone it. Why risk it at times like this, especially with their age.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Ask your parents if they're okay with potentially risking a 14 day quarantine after returning from the country, and if they say yes, then tell them to go for it

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know the distribution of the fatality rate of the seasonal flu depending on the age of the patient? I've seen the number 0,1% floating around to compare the cfr of the common flu with that of Corona. But I assume that's the average cfr among all patients.
According to this, the cfr of Corona is 0,2% for 10-39 year olds. How does that compare to the common flu?
You can get estimates from here -

Though I generally think any and all numbers we get about COVID-19 right now are incomplete by their very nature, and I think it probably for the best if laymen don't try to get too many conclusions based on them.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is, as Nivash already mentioned, nothing is being stored anymore, but rather delivered when needed, and i think this is gonna bite us in the ass so bad at times like this. Same as with food, at most grocerie-shops around here (like Rewe), the food is delivered daily, cause they don't use storage anymore, but get deliveries when needed. So what happens when cities get closed cause of the virus or something?
That was the thing that made it hard for me to suspend my disbelief during the movie Contagion: everything is shut down for like a month — there should have been food riots everywhere! America can't handle disruptions in the food supply chain at all! Much less a month.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Reschedule for next year. Why take the risk?
Sure that's how I feel but The more evidence I have of it being bad the easier it'll be to convince them
Ask your parents if they're okay with potentially risking a 14 day quarantine after returning from the country, and if they say yes, then tell them to go for it
Her parents not mine. Anyway I checked out some articles just now. It seems their cases have jumped nearly 50% in the last couple of days. They're doing Florence which is in between central Italy and the hot spots up north. Hoping I can convince them to go next year.

As for quarantine the only time we've done that here, so far, is people coming in from China or the cruises right?

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Is there any place to get information on the possible response and efforts of military branches like USAMRIID?

I assume they are (already?) going to be mobilized, but maybe I'm wrong.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
So I was booking a trip to France (from Miami) for mid-March and my director just came to ask me to cancel for Coronavirus concerns. She also said that the company has a directive cut all non-essential travel.

Im on a cruise out of Miami in 2.5 weeks. Should I be worried, not worried, or am I already dead?
Which cruise line?

Last edited:

Doby

Oct 25, 2017

The more I think about it, the more obsolete a mask seems. Whilst they offer protection from viral droplets straight out the packet, over time they'll just become a germ-fest and/or potential fomite that you're strapping to your face. Are people intending on wearing a new mask daily? I doubt it.

Best way is to avoid close contact with people and sanitise your hands whenever you come into contact with potential fomites. Considering the average person touches their face 2-3 time every minute it really needs to be something to be on top of. After all it's almost impossible to avoid since it's largely subconscious.

I suppose you cant look any sillier wearing a mask than strapping elastic between your waistband and wrists so you're aware of the resistence when you go to touch your face.