bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I guess the asymptomatic spread thing relates to people spreading it via coughing or sneezing, which makes sense. We may have got overly concerned that people were spreading it by just talking, because that's what lab conditions said could happen, when in real world it might be spread primarily closer to how the cold is, or with sustained contact.

Mar 3, 2019
My city of MPLS has a city wide mandate that requires masks. In most of the store I've been in, there is a sign clearly stating you have to wear a mask. Maybe like 20 percent of people are actually following the law which is super frustrating. It's like what's the point if the business' aren't going to enforce anything whatsoever. This combined with protests means we are going to see a huge spike here

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
Lol, Arizona just told it's hospitals to start up their emergency plans. They told them to do the same thing on March 26. Good job!

I just went to the grocery today and like 60% of the people weren't wearing masks. If there were any groups of more than 2 people, none of them were wearing masks.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
My city of MPLS has a city wide mandate that requires masks. In most of the store I've been in, there is a sign clearly stating you have to wear a mask. Maybe like 20 percent of people are actually following the law which is super frustrating. It's like what's the point if the business' aren't going to enforce anything whatsoever. This combined with protests means we are going to see a huge spike here

People are selfish entitled assholes.

I'm avoiding being in public as much as humanly possible until there's a proven vaccine. Let them die for their reckless ignorance, I'd prefer to live.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, Arizona just told it's hospitals to start up their emergency plans. They told them to do the same thing on March 26. Good job!

I just went to the grocery today and like 60% of the people weren't wearing masks. If there were any groups of more than 2 people, none of them were wearing masks.

Sigh... seeing the same behavior here in Seattle. This country is full of idiots.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

It's what I thought. They're talking truly asymptomatic, as in never develop symptoms, not pre-symptomatic.

Also, this announcement was a clusterfuck and a poor decision. There are big issues outside of that framing, too.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
That headline is spreading like wildfire, WHO will have to issue a clarifying statement and people already desperate to say "See! They keep going back and forth! They don't know either, i'm just going to do whatever i want".

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
Hospitalizations in NC are continuing to rise dramatically; the numbers today are an all-time high and tomorrow's number is even worse. Thankfully most hospitals in the state still have room in both ICU and inpatient units, but this state reopened so much faster than it should have. Phase 2 started on May 22nd so I wonder if we're seeing the result of that now.

It's not just hospitalizations that are increasing, but also the % positive. It's crazy to see people in here reporting 2-3% positive test rates in their states. NC hit 10% this weekend and is currently hovering around 9%.

Local news has done a great job of making COVID a tiny part of reporting lately. Meanwhile we have bars and gyms demanding to open. What could possibly go wrong.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
WHO:

Only people with COVID should use masks. Healthy people should not.

Wait, nevermind, everyone use them, they're good.

Wait, they're only good if they have three layers of specific materials.

Wait.

I mean, this is a new thing with information developing almost real time, but I can't help but think "oh my fucking god, now what" when I read "WHO announces new guidelines for COVID-19".

Sep 14, 2019
Saw a bunch of people in a food stand with no masks (both the owners of the stand and the customers).

Really hoping a lot of people have some immunity, or the heat kills the virus, or something.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting harder and harder to get family to follow the safety rules. They really think it's over, which is crazy since it hit really close to home already.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the asymptomatic spread thing relates to people spreading it via coughing or sneezing, which makes sense. We may have got overly concerned that people were spreading it by just talking, because that's what lab conditions said could happen, when in real world it might be spread primarily closer to how the cold is, or with sustained contact.

Probably not that they can't spread it, but most people aren't as lax in their cleanliness as they were when this started. People aren't sharing drinks, aren't sharing food, washing hands more, using sanitizer, etc. so the spread without symptoms is not as big a vector as initially was.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Probably not that they can't spread it, but most people aren't as lax in their cleanliness as they were when this started. People aren't sharing drinks, aren't sharing food, washing hands more, using sanitizer, etc. so the spread without symptoms is not as big a vector as initially was.
This is a good point.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
The high risk group are people standing vis a vis for 15min and talking to each other. AFAIK, an early German study showed that the attack rate is like 15% for that group. It's not a real huge finding.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Hungary they keep buying thousands of ICU beds, over 6000 by now despite the official number of total cases is less than that, with the actual ICU peak being below 100. It's either a money-laundering scheme (probably), or the official infected numbers are nowhere near close to reality. Hopefully just the latter, which is of course bad enough.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
In Hungary they keep buying thousands of ICU beds, over 6000 by now despite the official number of total cases is less than that, with the actual ICU peak being below 100. It's either a money-laundering scheme (probably), or the official infected numbers are nowhere near close to reality. Hopefully just the latter, which is of course bad enough.
I'd probably guess for the first, but there is a third possibility: authorotarian regimes are heavily dependent on looking completely in control. If Orbat failed to combat corona sufficiently, he would be in heavy trouble. So he overreacts and gets way too much stuff.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably guess for the first, but there is a third possibility: authorotarian regimes are heavily dependent on looking completely in control. If Orbat failed to combat corona sufficiently, he would be in heavy trouble. So he overreacts and gets way too much stuff.

He already controls 90%+ of the media, so does he really need that level of control over the virus? Right now there's 21 people in ICU as far as we know. No way in hell it rises up to the 6600+ ICU beds they bought already.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Finland:
Cases: 7 025 (+24 in the last 24h)
Deaths: 324 (+1)
In hospital: 28 (-10)
ICU: 4 (-2)

Big drop in hospitalizations after the weekend. The country has been opening up more and more during the past month but so far the numbers have continued to improve.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
WHO:

Only people with COVID should use masks. Healthy people should not.

Wait, nevermind, everyone use them, they're good.

Wait, they're only good if they have three layers of specific materials.

Wait.

I mean, this is a new thing with information developing almost real time, but I can't help but think "oh my fucking god, now what" when I read "WHO announces new guidelines for COVID-19".

That's how it should be, scientist and doctors give out the best advice based upon the known information, then they test and learn more and revise their advice.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium: 13 new deaths, all in hospitals. 0 in retirement homes, but that is likely due to a technical issue for Flemish retirement homes. It means the total is now 9.619. Only 16 new hospitalisations! Only 9 people have been discharged, but that is again a weekend number, so no worries. Total patients in hospital is now 573. On intensive care, one person was discharged. 115 patients are remaining, with 66 on ventilators. I would expect important drops for both of these again tomorrow. As far as tracing goes, 89 cases found on 8.838 tests. Which means the number of tests has dropped as well, but even then, only 1% positive cases.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

35.306 confirmed cases.
+ 421 since yesterday. 1.2% growth.****
1.492 deaths.
+ 7 since yesterday.
21.339 recoveries.
+ 183 since yesterday.

394 people hospitalised.
+ 28 since yesterday.
65 in the ICU.
+ 10 since yesterday.

**** 386 of the 421 cases, or ~ 92% are from the Lisbon region only. This has been the case for a while now, the growth has been driven almost entirely by Lisbon alone (the opposite of what happened early on, when Lisbon remained steady and stable) and the rest of the country has been able to decrease, massively, it's numbers.

In fact, it was announced today that certain regions, the Algarve and Alentejo in particular, will more than likely be fully opened on July 1st. They'll be dowgraded from the current Calamity state to a mere Alert state (which removes basically all legal barriers/limitations applied by the Calamity state).

Oct 28, 2017
Saw a bunch of people in a food stand with no masks (both the owners of the stand and the customers).

Really hoping a lot of people have some immunity, or the heat kills the virus, or something.
We have been home since March. First they had people wiping down groceries and public transit disinfecting buses and trains like crazy people and then they said infection from touching surfaces is extemely rare. Now they announce asymptomatic infection is very rare when before they said people who were asymptomatic were spreading the thing like crazy...

They really don't know shit about this virus other than it spreads thru droplets and you should probably wear a mask.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
www.reuters.com

Over half of people tested in Italy's Bergamo have COVID-19 antibodies

More than half the residents tested in Italy's northern province of Bergamo have COVID-19 antibodies, health authorities said on Monday, citing a sample survey.

Bergamo has a population fatality rate of 0.58% (to put in perspective, that would be 2 million Americans) according to

www.medrxiv.org

How deadly is COVID-19? A rigorous analysis of excess mortality and age-dependent fatality rates in Italy

We perform a counterfactual time series analysis on 2020 mortality data from towns in Italy using data from the previous five years as control. We find an excess mortality that is correlated in time with the official COVID-19 death rate, but exceeds it by a factor of at least 1.5. Our analysis...

That means still a fatality rate of 1,2%, which is still a lot higher than hoped that the antibody tests would reveal. With the caveat that the sample isn't random enough, and the actual fatality rate is thus higher.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Schools here in Berlin will open regularly after the summer holidays.

www.zeit.de

Coronavirus: Berlin und Brandenburg öffnen Kitas und Schulen für Regelbetrieb

Ab dem 15. Juni dürfen alle Kinder in Brandenburg wieder in die Kita – Berlin folgt wenig später. Die Schulen starten nach den Sommerferien mit dem regulären Unterricht.
Der Berliner Senat hat beschlossen, Kitas und Schulen wieder für eine regeuläre Betreuung und für einen regulären Unterricht zu öffnen. Dies gab Bildungssenatorin Sandra Scheeres (SPD) nach einer Sitzung des Senats bekannt.

Demnach soll der Vollbetrieb in allen Schularten und Jahrgangsstufen nach den Sommerferien Anfang August wieder möglich sein, die 1,50-Meter-Abstandsregelung soll dann wegfallen.

Looks like we made it... they will also stop all restrictions currently in place. No distance, nothing.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally confused now by all these different percentages of asymptomatic cases and contradictory takes on what WHO communicated.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
So although they are only 16% they are responsible for 40% of the transmissions? That's like a totally opposite message than the one from the past days.

lemming

Oct 27, 2017
As noone can actually tell if they are asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic (unless they test), did they really need to broadcast this in this scale? Such a clusterfuck.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I like how WHO gave this news stream to clarify what they said yesterday, only to confuse us even more.