mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
As a Brit, this isn't AT ALL how I'd define British humour.

The Wiki does a decent job: " British humour carries a strong element of satire aimed at "the absurdity of everyday life"

Aside from Brits, only the Irish can pull it off.

Swedes have a similar sense of humour to us in my experience too ...
It's more satirical, dry and self deprecating than other cultures.. Again, in my experience.

And of course it's different... Have you seen what Germans laugh at?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Third party property ok. I'm the one who read that wrong lol. Oups.
It seems weird to me that. Intense would push a WayForward game that isn't first party if it's their o my other game worth showing. It must be some mightily impressive third party game to get this kind of push.
You usually push forward though.
If it's intense push I guess it goes way forward.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It seems weird to me that. Intense would push a WayForward game that isn't first party if it's their o my other game worth showing. It must be some mightily impressive third party game to get this kind of push.

It might indicate, but not confirm, that there's some sort of exclusivity on it. At least timed.

Though mind you, it could also only mean that Nintendo got the marketing deal, similar to Dark Souls back then.

And of course it's different... Have you seen what Germans laugh at?

We germans? Laugh? Who told you this fairy tale?

;]

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or this whole thing feels.. weird?

I mean, I'm super excited to know what this game is, but showing off some random game just after Paper Mario just seems off. It has to be something big, right?

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Many people only want the first party content. They won't care about past and future games from the same devs.
Hollow Knight should have been Metroid first ?
The Steamworld games have a cool background. Wouldnt want that to change to be whatever Nintendo franchise.

When devs do a good game it usually gets some recognition. No need for Mario or Zelda on it.
It takes extra time to develop a new game. If some are allowed to want only first party indie then I'm allowed to want only their own content.

I'd rather see completely new concept instead of a Nintendo skin on a random indie game we already know (or a continuation of what they've been doing), their way.

Edit : but people are mentioning existing IP. Is it how they understand it or is it confirmed ?
Probably wouldn't be better than first to me.
I think that people that wouldn't try the devs other games after a playing a game from a known IP by them, wouldn't have played those games either way.
Yes good games should get recognition, no matter if they are part of a franchise or not.
Some people are just blind to small stuff and only look at "big blockbuster" games and IPs.

But to get on topic, yeah I could ssee it something along the lines of Bomberman R, something that gets associated with 90s Nintendo and now maybe has some kind of timed exclusivity?

Oct 27, 2017
Really wondering what this game might be given that WayForward was at New Game + Expo a couple weeks back and they didn't show anything new then.

Probably Switch exclusive, but also so much other stuff in that conference was too that like, would it have made much of a difference if it was announced there?

Would be cool if this is a new IP or something and a playable Nintendo character was in it.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Is it just me or this whole thing feels.. weird?

I mean, I'm super excited to know what this game is, but showing off some random game just after Paper Mario just seems off. It has to be something big, right?

it seems notable enough to not be an indie of sorts, but no im not expecting anything big and neither should anyone really.

Directs are for big announcements, and the only announcements Treehouse has ever gotten are smaller scale ones.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
So I mentioned that I thought the next Banjo Kazooie needed "British humour" behind it, and I got shat on with it descending into "British exceptionalism" comments? Is this for fucking real, era?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So essentially Nintendo is lending a franchise to WayForward for them to make a game for.

Which will it be? Metroid would make the most sense, seeing as how Shantae is already in the Metroidvania variety.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Oh I missed that.

Weird that they would bundle that into a Threehouse Direct about Paper Mario? Maybe Castlevania then? I mean they did do Contra before!

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I think that people that wouldn't try the devs other games after a playing a game from a known IP by them, wouldn't have played those games either way.
Yes good games should get recognition, no matter if they are part of a franchise or not.
Some people are just blind to small stuff and only look at "big blockbuster" games and IPs.

But to get on topic, yeah I could ssee it something along the lines of Bomberman R, something that gets associated with 90s Nintendo and now maybe has some kind of timed exclusivity?
I understood it wrong. Thought it was Wayforward's own IP but it's an existing 3rd.
I guess that's a bit intriguing, because there's more choice. It's probably gonna be something very "relevant" nowadays.

Why does it have to be "associated with Nintendo" but more importantly, what is associated with Nintendo ?
When you think about all the games from 3rd party that released since the NES, it can be anything. That is, if the IP even was on a Nintendo system once (probably but we never know).

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Really wondering what this game might be given that WayForward was at New Game + Expo a couple weeks back and they didn't show anything new then.

Eh, WayForward had more new announcements at LimitedRunGames's expo than they did for NG+, and LRG is a digital-to-physical publisher. I think we all overestimated NG+ a bit. I think this could be a relatively "big" thing, though I'd still temper expectations.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I missed that.

Weird that they would bundle that into a Threehouse Direct about Paper Mario? Maybe Castlevania then? I mean they did do Contra before!
Treehouse Live at E3 was often used as a venue to premiere and promote games that didn't appear in the initial video presentation. If there's an upcoming Direct, the WayForward game probably isn't part of it.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
yeah this feels like something that was originally set for an E3 Treehouse reveal but they had to reaccommodate it when E3 evaporated

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Treehouse Live at E3 was often used as a venue to premiere and promote games that didn't appear in the initial video presentation. If there's an upcoming Direct, the WayForward game probably isn't part of it.
If there is the next direct, it could be solely Nintendo games. It is reported that Nintendo told third parties to announce their games outside of a Nintendo event.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if it's another NES game revival sorta thing like we've seen with the 8-bit "Bloodstained", River City Girls, and Blaster Master Zero. What's a big name NES title that could be big enough to get this kind of treatment, but not important enough that the original developer wouldn't be making it? A new Boy and his Blob perhaps? Metal Storm?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If there is the next direct, it could be solely Nintendo games. It is reported that Nintendo told third parties to announce their games outside of a Nintendo event.

I think the fact they're announcing a Wayforward game(in a third party IP) flies in the face of that logic though.

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
Castlevania was my first thought. Probably not though.

This is really what I'm hoping for, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much. Circle of the Moon on the GBA was my introduction to the franchise and I have been completely obsessed with the Metroidvania style of games ever since and I would love nothing more than a new Castlevania game in that style, which Konami has seemingly given up on.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
I reckon it wi be shadow dropped whatever it is. Seems a reasonable reason to show it randomanly in a PM focused tree house.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
That's from one report and to date, only EA made their announcement, with no Switch specific trailers, so that's maybe a few minutes shaved off.
There were also a bunch of smaller announements like Ys IX but I doubt it's all the 3rd party stuff.

That line seems to be a garbled misunderstanding. If a direct is coming on the 20th, what likely happened is Nintendo told 3rd parties to announce their stuff in June if they can't wait till the later July direct, which at the time may not have had a month or date set. Somehow that got reported as Nintendo told 3rd parties to announce all their stuff on their own, full stop.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Even if they would/are sharing the ownership with someone, it would still be a Nintendo IP. Same goes for Fire Emblem, and a more recent example Astral Chain.

Gotcha, I'll decide if it's a shame after this mystery game gets announced. I like shantae so I have some faith in wayforward.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I think the fact they're announcing a Wayforward game(in a third party IP) flies in the face of that logic though.
My thought is that the Shantae series being complete on the Switch would be a thing I could see coming in a direct.

I'm still hoping for that announcement of a direct.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Here are the IPs the insider specifically ruled out:

- darkwing duck
- gex
- marvel
- ghouls n ghosts
- ninja turtles
- bionic commando
- metal slug
- anything sega
- silent hill 2