NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Ppl hoping for "mastodon to take off" for almost 10 years.
For good reason.

The alternative seems to be hoping that billionaires don't poison the well too much with their manufactured-consent tech, which is beyond incoherent.

Everybody in these threads is addicted to social media algorithms and looking for "the one true" monolithic replacement, and thats exactly the trap. There can be a one-true protocol, but their can't be a one-true product. Its fool's gold.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
Why people switch from Twitter to Meta's replacement? They are both awful. Facebook environment are worse than Twitter by far.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Why people switch from Twitter to Meta's replacement? They are both awful. Facebook environment are worse than Twitter by far.
That might have been true before musk took over twitter, but Twitter is by quite a large margin the worst form of social media out there right now thanks to all the changes that he has made making it easier for bigots and bots to gather in tremendous numbers.

Threads at the very least will be somewhat moderated which is a massive step up from the next to no moderation that Twitter currently enjoys.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Zuckerberg is dreadful but as far as I can tell, he doesn't publicly signal boost neo-nazis at every opportunity. I'll take the lesser of two evils and I already use Instagram so I'm already sort of signed up anyway.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
as much as i hate Meta and Zuck, i do feel Musk is a worse human being.

that being said i'm already forced to use Whatsapp so i'll will jump ship if it takes off.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Zuckerberg is dreadful but as far as I can tell, he doesn't publicly signal boost neo-nazis at every opportunity. I'll take the lesser of two evils and I already use Instagram so I'm already sort of signed up anyway.

Facebook is a lost case, but Instagram is so far okayish regarding its politics. Even though there are enough nutjobs around there as well, and of course the crisis of fashion, self-presentation, tourism and body images is potentially an even bigger issue than political discussions on Twitter.
I could see expanding instagram it's social media feed with micro-blogging.

Hans Gruber

Oct 27, 2017
Norwich, UK
There's another reason why this might be the one to finally take off - it already has a built-in user base and a MASSIVE one at that.

My one concern is that with Instagram you kind of see a post, like it, maybe leave a comment and then move on and then you never see it again. If you have the opportunity to have a continued discussion with other people jumping in it might just devolve into silly arguments. Maybe it's the thing that will destroy Instagram!

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
kinda wish google would give it another go, but they fuck up so much basic stuff and then shut shit down immediately, so it'd just be a waste of time

Bjorn

Feb 11, 2018
Denmark
Why are they comfortable operating Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp in the EU but not Threads?
A spokesperson for Ireland's Data Protection Commission (DPC) said that the regulator had been in contact about the new service and that it would not be rolled out in the EU "at this point".

The new Threads platform is designed to import data from Instagram, including behavioural and advertising information.

In its US format, the platform tells users that it will collect a wide variety of data from users, including health, financial information, browsing histories, location, purchases, contacts, search history and sensitive information.

In the EU, the Irish regulator has prevented Meta from launching advertising services on Whatsapp that uses data from Facebook or Instagram. The tech giant is allowed to mingle the two data streams in the US, which has weaker privacy laws.

It is unclear when, or if, Meta will launch Threads in Ireland and the EU. A spokesperson for Meta was unavailable to comment on the matter.

However, it is understood that the DPC has not actively blocked the service. Instead, the tech giant has not yet prepared the service for a European launch outside the UK, which is not fully governed by GDPR or EU privacy rules.
www.independent.ie

No Instagram Threads app in the EU: Irish DPC says Meta's new Twitter rival won't be launched here

Meta will not launch its new Twitter rival, Threads, in Ireland or the EU for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like they moved the US/UK launch up to act on Twitter's "downfall" and didn't have the right privacy settings in place for EU/Ireland.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
While I do want Twitter competitors. I don't want Meta monopolizing social media completely.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on desktop and theres too much empty space on the sides. Maybe itll look better on the actual app? Anyways, Im not as concerned with how it looks right this moment, I'm curious to see how it functions when the floodgates open.
I'm on mobile and it looks bad, but yeah if it functions like Twitter in the long run it won't matter

Looks like a third-party twitter app to me, which is fine. It's obviously formatted for phones so it'll look shit on desktop.
I'm looking at my phone 😅