dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine enriching Zuck even more. I dislike Elon as much as Zuck so I really hope Mastodon takes off.
There's alternatives to Mastodon that people may like better though: CalcKey (A different feature-rich MicroBlogging experience) & Kbin (Reddit/Twitter wombo-combo). Worth checking out for others. I think it's worth providing other avenues to people instead of just "Mastodon" when bringing this up.

It's saddens me that others are so ardently against it. Declaring it will never take off. I think it's part of that phenomena where debate just further entrenches people. I'd never waste my time advertising and advocating for a billionaires project. Not to say I don't understand the problems with the Fediverse but it's worth fighting for.

We'll just need to keep working on different projects and bringing them to a point where nobody can complain. There's going to be nomenclature that needs to be explained but we can make it as intuitive as possible. The Fediverse is always going to exist, used and improving. We just need to be accepting of others and listen, which you see in the implementation of accessibility features that corpos don't waste time on.

it's the linux of social media. i'm sure it's great and we should all use it but i don't have the energy for it lol.
You're kind of right but not only for the reasons you think (I mean other than the fact Mastodon is a single app and not the whole Fediverse or even the only MicroBlogging implementation). Peeps got on with SteamOS on the Steam Deck no issues. Android also. It's a Federation implementation issue, that is going to take a lot of work to fix but it'll get there. There are also things I think seem complicated buts that's only because it's not what people are used to. I couldn't get on with Twitter for example and people are saying that was simple. I used CalcKey which looked and felt way better than Twitter even consider all the immature Fediverse inconveniences. It's the first time MicroBlogging clicked with me. Also your art won't be mass harvested for training AI.

I don't care what MicroBlogging app you use as long as you're happy. I just want to inform about misconceptions over the Fediverse as I don't want people to miss something they could love because they think Mastodon is the be all and end all. I hope it gets to a point where it can serve you as well as Twitter. (Also it's not that you don't have the energy, it's that you don't think it's worth the energy and that's fine.)

Sidenote on Linux: There's new generation of (immutable) OSes brewing that are a cross between SteamOS & Windows. See VanillaOS, Fedora Silverblue (I use this) & Fedora Kinoite that currently target developers and semi-knowledgable users who want a simple and stable system. These are the first steps towards simplification to target a whole new non-technical audience.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wish I could articulate the nuance of how I feel about social media.

I sincerely miss the positive aspects of social media when I was an active user, but at the same time, I also think I might have been so negatively affected by my negative experiences that I have next to no trust that any social media platform could ever strike me as a net positive to my life again.

But I do miss that sense of open community, and feeling seen and heard through it. I can't deny that.

I just don't want social media to constantly frustrate and anger me anymore, and that's how I've come to feel about practically all of my social media experiences since the lead up and result of the 2016 US Presidential Election.

Everything I love that's represented in social media is almost always touched by hate speech, buy-in and unchecked spread of misinformation, and shock- or anger-based engagement. It's fucking exhausting. I am constantly made to feel like you can't have a good faith conversation about anything, even the stuff you love, without the openness of social media invariably inviting a ton of fuckwits to the conversation. Even the seemingly one-off positive posts on social media seem just swarmed with a string of replies that are just relentlessly stupid and/or angry. Everything is immediately a fiery debate with zero chance anyone who is in the wrong is actually going to change their mind for the better.

And I just can't trust things to ever be the way they felt before. Maybe it was always this way and I had a stronger stomach for enduring it. Maybe it's because we naturally organized into smaller and more intimate groups before things got mixed up on a big stage together. Maybe it's parts of both. All I know is that I pretty much can't avoid it on social media and every time I encounter it, I feel frustrated, angry, depressed, or any combination of those.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Awesome, fuck Facebook: https://www.independent.ie/business...-rival-wont-be-launched-here/a1927220337.html

Meta will not launch its new Twitter rival, Threads, in Ireland or the EU for the foreseeable future.

It is being released in the US and the UK on Thursday of this week as an alternative to Twitter.

A spokesperson for Ireland's Data Protection Commission (DPC) said that the regulator had been in contact about the new service and that it would not be rolled out in the EU "at this point".

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
Basically confirms it's an Instagram companion app.
If they had integrated it into Instagram there would be no EU privacy issues.
A standalone app pulling data from another service is a big NOPE for EU regulator.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
ryan-gosling-angry.gif

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is just Meta launching in the US for now. There's nothing more to it.

However, it is understood that the DPC has not actively blocked the service. Instead, the tech giant has not yet prepared the service for a European launch outside the UK, which is not fully governed by GDPR or EU privacy rules.

It was supposed to launch at the end of the month. Pushing it up probably meant cutting out some countries.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
A genuine question for you guys: With the multitude of Twitter alternatives that are currently available or upcoming, (Bluesky, Mastodon, Hive, Spill, Threads, Tumblr), which of these platforms do you guys think you'll end up using the most going forward?

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
A genuine question for you guys: With the multitude of Twitter alternatives that are currently available or upcoming, (Bluesky, Mastodon, Hive, Spill, Threads, Tumblr), which of these platforms do you guys think you'll end up using the most going forward?
An alternative to Mastodon: CalcKey. Yes I will keep mentioning it at every opportunity because it's great.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most popular one. Ain't got time for these indie alternatives with 100 people on it

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Hive is the only one that's fit what I want, but I don't think it'll take off.

Bluesky I can't speak on because of the walled garden

Royalan

Not actually the youngest mod ā€” AP Fact Check
Oct 24, 2017

Well, I never really left Tumblr, still spend a ridiculous amount of time there. So that one's a given.

For me, it'll be the app where most of the creatives I follow settle. My lanes are portrait photography and Queer works (with a Black/POC slant). Wherever those two communities settle is where I'll be (which, so far, is looking like Threads).

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bluesky and Threads most likely. My Tumblr days are long behind me after the great purge.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Nope and Nope. I have barebones IG for reasons unbeknownst to me. It's a whole thing with people complaining on the subreddit about it.

My app is up to date, as is my iPhone, I've logged in and out several times, deleted and reinstalled the app and everything else I could possibly do to update, nothing works.
That's bizarre. Sounds like you've been accidentally shadowbanned from certain features. Have you asked support?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I hate Facebook but i'll Be threads no doubt
I feel like Threads is gonna go through the same cycle of Facebook and Instagram.
(1) It starts off potentially making a massive impact on the social media space
(2) People begin to realize Meta possibly didn't fix the Instagram bot problem, which may stick out now more than ever if thats the case
(3) The UI gets better over time, other things get better or worse
(4) The announce a change no one wants leading to people pleading for them to not do so
(5) They do so anyway and everyone wants to leave lol

An alternative to Mastodon: CalcKey. Yes I will keep mentioning it at every opportunity because it's great.
Never heard of this! Who's behind this? Has anyone major made the move over this?

Whichever one Adam Schefter, Shams Charania and Fabrizio Romano use. That's the barometer.
That Shams mention is totally justifiable lmao

Well, I never really left Tumblr, still spend a ridiculous amount of time there. So that one's a given.

For me, it'll be the app where most of the creatives I follow settle. My lanes are portrait photography and Queer works (with a Black/POC slant). Wherever those two communities settle is where I'll be (which, so far, is looking like Threads).
Bluesky and Threads most likely. My Tumblr days are long behind me after the great purge.
I actually rejoined Tumblr due to all this madness and I've gotten more joy out of it than I thought I would. I never realized how negative Twitter was until I've spent time on Tumblr recently and saw how much people simply enjoy discussing things rather than bickering about each other's take it's kinda refreshing

Hive is the only one that's fit what I want, but I don't think it'll take off.

Bluesky I can't speak on because of the walled garden
I tried Hive and found it to be pretty lackluster. I think the problem with something like Hive is that no one wants to give a new upcoming app the short term ability to have room for growth and the ability to make the changes that the community wants. Everyone wants to have a near-Twitter like quality, if not better, immediately to get that Twitter satisfaction and unfortunately, Hive won't ever get to that point with Threads getting everyone's attention

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
It's so fucking stupid to trash EU on the first day, they always manage to ruin it.

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

News is going to be my primary motivating factor so Bluesky has the lead because feels like writers/journos took over (its also fascinatingly straight and white as a result) but I can imagine since Threads comes in with a built in ecosystem lots of the advertisers and big rags gonna make an official presense there easier as a result.

I like Spill but and far it feels very social media circa myspace for better/worse; people having fun and flirting and right now with no big thinkpieces and drama but I need the existential well written nihilism to feed my doom scroll (gonna keep and fuck with it because I see the potential)

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
like Spill but thus far it feels very social media circa myspace; people having fun and flirting and right now I need the existential well written nihilism to feed my doom scroll (gonna keep and fuck with it because I see the potential)

Listen, I took ONE PEEK into Spill the other day.

Chile, I don't know. I see a lot of my people on there, so that makes me happy.

But, it's giving BlackPlanet.

I'm going to hold on to the account, butā€¦

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Bluesky shits the bed being closed off
Threads shits the bed being staggered release and not worldwide

god damn i just wanna twitter dead and everyone moving over so we can go on with life lol

ebranty

Apr 26, 2023
Sadly I think its going to be Threads but I will go wherever the majority of the people I follow go

Mekanos

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 17, 2018
I honestly plan on trying to use Tumblr more. Maybe I'll try Mastodon, idk. Bluesky is ok but pretty empty right now.

But Tumblr is the least real world adjacent and that is good because the real world is full of freaks.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

god damn i just wanna twitter dead and everyone moving over so we can go on with life lol

Not to be all "America! Fuck Yeah!" In here, but the US and UK aren't exactly tiny markets. I think Threads rolling out there first puts them in a better position than whatever it is BlueSky is waiting on. And, if it takes off here, that'll only build hype (something else BlueSky's exclusivity hasn't managed to do).

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Mastodon. The tech/apple people I follow are already there, and it works great. Ivory is an excellent app.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Sadly I think its going to be Threads but I will go wherever the majority of the people I follow go
I sadly feel like there will be no "majority" going forward, everyone seems to be using different platforms which is why I'm asking lol

I honestly plan on trying to use Tumblr more. Maybe I'll try Mastodon, idk. Bluesky is ok but pretty empty right now.

But Tumblr is the least real world adjacent and that is good because the real world is full of freaks.
I do suggest checking Tumblr out, I think people are missing out by not at least giving it a look just cause it's not a 1:1 replica of Twitter or similar to Twitter in terms of interaction or how news is spread (which I totally get). I spent the whole night last night editing a theme and actually changing some code around which I kinda missed doing since I used to do that back in the day. So it's been a ton of fun for me thus far being back on the platform
Mastodon. The tech/apple people I follow are already there, and it works great. Ivory is excellent.
Maybe I'll check out Mastodon I don't know anyone using it lol

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Not to be all "America! Fuck Yeah!" In here, but the US and UK aren't exactly tiny markets. I think Threads rolling out there first puts them in a better position than whatever it is BlueSky is waiting on. And, if it takes off here, that'll only build hype (something else BlueSky's exclusivity hasn't managed to do).

yeah i totally agree with you and most likely all big names (gaming, companies, big time personalities like fabrizio romano and artists) will move over to Threads especially with the instagram connectivity.

just sucks to be left out of the fun since probably Brazil won't get it day one too.

Mekanos

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 17, 2018
I do suggest checking Tumblr out, I think people are missing out by not at least giving it a look just cause it's not a 1:1 replica of Twitter or similar to Twitter in terms of interaction or how news is spread (which I totally get). I spent the whole night last night editing a theme and actually changing some code around which I kinda missed doing since I used to do that back in the day. So it's been a ton of fun for me thus far being back on the platform
I've had a Tumblr account for over a decade and made lots of good friends there (even started dating someone I met on Tumblr), but a lot of my mutuals migrated to Twitter so I went there... and now we're going back to Tumblr lol. So I hope I can stick with Tumblr because it's been the most enjoyable social media I've engaged with by far.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

Meta and Threads will be fine. They could have pulled a global release off if they had a year+, but they're already rushing a barebones English language product to market.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Listen, I took ONE PEEK into Spill the other day.

Chile, I don't know. I see a lot of my people on there, so that makes me happy.

But, it's giving BlackPlanet.

I'm going to hold on to the account, butā€¦

Yup. It's the crowd I want to see, but it's like walking in late after everyone already eight drinks in and the dj is starting a Beyonce set, lol. I do love how they united against TheShadeRoom so I respect them intentionally trying to keep the vibe fun and light hearted so I admit it's a me problem, lol.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I've had a Tumblr account for over a decade and made lots of good friends there (even started dating someone I met on Tumblr), but a lot of my mutuals migrated to Twitter so I went there... and now we're going back to Tumblr lol. So I hope I can stick with Tumblr because it's been the most enjoyable social media I've engaged with by far.
I've been talking to my friends about it and they all think I'm insane for going back to Tumblr cause it's not the same as Twitter but if I'm being honest, I'm glad it's not. It's a lot friendlier in terms of the community and it's enjoyable seeing gif sets, photo sets, random takes and people engaging with each other in a positive way

May 14, 2021
Yep, and do it without the entire world hitting their servers day 1. It'll be a good, still huge, test of the service and their servers.

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
Never heard of this! Who's behind this? Has anyone major made the move over this?
It's part of the Fediverse. So it has all the current problems of an immature Fediverse which I understand puts people off right now. Though, you can talk to Mastodon users and all the other Fediverse apps as is its strength.

There isn't anything or anybody large behind this. It split off from the Japanese focused MissKey (which absolutely destroys my laptop). It's more a community-focused project, with the original creator being ThatOneCalculator.
The user interface is better than both Mastodon and Twitter in my opinion. It feels snappy and has good built-in customisation & theming options. Though, it's growing quite rapidly so certain servers are struggling a tad. 2k more users in 2 days (~11k to 13k, Effectively 20% growth).

I don't actually own a phone (for no reason in particular) so you'd have to figure out mobile apps yourself. There are some. But the devs are currently working on being functional with the Mastodon API so you can use CalcKey on a Mastodon app.

Here's a quote from the devs: "Calckey is built by people (and furries!) from all over the world, who recognize themselves as LGBTQ+ or allies ā€“ an important aspect of the project, as we want to make clear that racists, sexists, fascists, transphobes etc are not welcome. We are trying to build a non-toxic, welcoming, inclusive community, a safe space for everyone to co-exist and work together as smoothly as possible. Let's respect each other and help them be themselves - it's not that hard!"

I've written a post that may be interest to you if you're starting out though it's not focused on a casual use-case.

ebranty

Apr 26, 2023
I sadly feel like there will be no "majority" going forward, everyone seems to be using different platforms which is why I'm asking lol

Yeah I think you are right there won't be a majority.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Which ever one happens first will decide the winner: Bluesky going public or Threads going global.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
yeah i totally agree with you and most likely all big names (gaming, companies, big time personalities like fabrizio romano and artists) will move over to Threads especially with the instagram connectivity.

just sucks to be left out of the fun since probably Brazil won't get it day one too.
They know it would be a mistake letting us join early lmao

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
absolutely nuts, this was the one app with a real shot,now its dead on arrival. JFC.
Someone teach me the way of the Tumblr.
Tumblr is one of those things where you just gotta make an account and slowly learn how to use it over time. For the most part, the UI is incredibly simple and easy to understand in terms of use case:

Basically, the white bar with Text, Photo, Quote, Link, Chat, Audio, Video is what you use to post various types of content (though you can include photos in Text just like you can insert photos in a post on here)

The side top right with the icons is: Home, Explore (find other types of content that is trending and may be for you), Shop/Market, Your Messages (people can ask anonymous questions, though you can disable it) & Message another Tumblr account , Activity (notifications aka if people like, comment or reblog your posts or reblogs) and your User info/settings. In order icons wise: House, Compass, Standee, Mail, Smiley Face, Lightning Bolt, User.
tumblr-1192bb21d751401b9e6e10b6c0eeb459.jpg

The posts obviously in the middle is your feed where people can post stuff, reblog stuff or interact with content in general. The search bar allows you to search for hashtags and topics, which is basically the same thing is Twitter except you get a better visual of that hashtag's feed:
10a32d1f239ea90a93de91118acb49961f9830b6.png

The hardest part is honestly customizing your own page that people can visit to see your posts and content and that's just cause there's so many themes to choose from and editing the HTML (if necessary, more often than not you won't do this unless you really care) can be annoying. Here's what that looks like:
change-tumblr-theme-2.jpg

This is such an informative post! (I cut it just cause mine was already long enough lol), I'm gonna go check your post now about Mastodon!

Yeah I think you are right there won't be a majority.
Yeah, I've come to terms with this, I just think we're all gonna have to get used to everyone splitting up and finding their own comfortable new home of a social media platform
There will be, and it's just gonna beTwitter.
I was telling my friends this too. I think people will stick to Twitter come hell or high water. They'll see it die and close down because people will refuse to leave cause things won't "hit the same" on other platforms, so it won't be until it dies/shuts down or some other over the top reason, that people will move platforms.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Whichever my Switch will let me directly link to.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Whichever one takes off.

If all the brands flock to one, that'll be the one. If they don't, I don't think any will take off. Waiting game for me.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Tumblr is one of those things where you just gotta make an account and slowly learn how to use it over time. For the most part, the UI is incredibly simple and easy to understand in terms of use case:

Basically, the white bar with Text, Photo, Quote, Link, Chat, Audio, Video is what you use to post various types of content (though you can include photos in Text just like you can insert photos in a post on here)

The side top right with the icons is: Home, Explore (find other types of content that is trending and may be for you), Shop/Market, Your Messages (people can ask anonymous questions, though you can disable it) & Message another Tumblr account , Activity (notifications aka if people like, comment or reblog your posts or reblogs) and your User info/settings. In order icons wise: House, Compass, Standee, Mail, Smiley Face, Lightning Bolt, User.
tumblr-1192bb21d751401b9e6e10b6c0eeb459.jpg

The posts obviously in the middle is your feed where people can post stuff, reblog stuff or interact with content in general. The search bar allows you to search for hashtags and topics, which is basically the same thing is Twitter except you get a better visual of that hashtag's feed:
10a32d1f239ea90a93de91118acb49961f9830b6.png

The hardest part is honestly customizing your own page that people can visit to see your posts and content and that's just cause there's so many themes to choose from and editing the HTML (if necessary, more often than not you won't do this unless you really care) can be annoying. Here's what that looks like:
change-tumblr-theme-2.jpg

This is such an informative post! (I cut it just cause mine was already long enough lol), I'm gonna go check your post now about Mastodon!

Yeah, I've come to terms with this, I just think we're all gonna have to get used to everyone splitting up and finding their own comfortable new home of a social media platform

I was telling my friends this too. I think people will stick to Twitter come hell or high water. They'll see it die and close down because people will refuse to leave cause things won't "hit the same" on other platforms, so it won't be until it dies/shuts down or some other over the top reason, that people will move platforms.

Oooh! Nice write-up!

One thing I'd add about Tumblr: All of these social media platforms trade in cultural capital, and what that capital is varies depending on what platform you're on (Instagram is Photography/Lifestyle, Twitter is Politics/Memes, TikTok isā€¦nonsense). You'll find a little bit of everything on any social media platform, but as it stands, certain types of "content" does better on particular platforms.

For Tumblr, its cultural capital is definitely FANDOM. Whatever you're a fan of (especially is it's television/comics/manga), you'll find thriving communities on Tumblr.