Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
I think there must've been a big boom of new or returning accounts over the last few days, I seem to have had a lot of interaction - either that or the algorithm is kicking in hard.
Just followed you.

There's been a huge amount of returning and new people. First it was the headline fiasco on X and then the Israel/Hamas situation was a powder keg that really got everything going.

TechCrunch put out an article mentioning Threads is at 135 million monthly users - that's surely higher now.
StDbDtv.png

techcrunch.com

Instagram Threads preps a Trending Topics feature in battle with X | TechCrunch

In an effort to better compete with X (formerly Twitter), Instagram's Threads is preparing to launch a much-in-demand feature: Trends. A Threads user

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Can you tell me what this was?

Twitter removed headlines from links. Now you just see a picture and have no idea what the story is until you click it. Musk says it improves the aesthetics, which may be true if you want a "tiny" art gallery instead of reading the fucking news.

www.theguardian.com

X, formerly Twitter, strips headlines from news story links to improve their look

The change came after owner Elon Musk said it would ‘improve the esthetics’ as platform becomes increasingly hostile for news organisations

edit: double beaten

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah journalists who stuck around after the blue check fiasco have pretty much had it with the new headline change. People can tweet or RT your article and claim it says anything.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I just need JJK and One Piece to twitter to migrate

Royalan

Not actually the youngest mod — AP Fact Check
Oct 24, 2017
No but, like, seriously though…

What happened?

Because activity on my feed was always pretty decent (I'm pretty active on Threads).

But today seems to have exploded. I've gained over 100 follows, but I'm not really doing anything different. And a lot of the bigger accounts I'm following are posting that they've gained 500+ accounts in the last two days.

I'm no longer on X/Twitter and I'm not even following the drama anymore, so I assume Musk fucked something else up.

Oct 25, 2017

What happened?

Because activity on my feed was always pretty decent (I'm pretty active on Threads).

But today seems to have exploded. I've gained over 100 follows, but I'm not really doing anything different. And a lot of the bigger accounts I'm following are posting that they've gained 500+ accounts in the last two days.

I'm no longer on X/Twitter and I'm not even following the drama anymore, so I assume Musk fucked something else up.
People seeing the shitshow on the app formerly called twitter, in response to Israel/Gaza, mostly.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful

What happened?

People are saying it's algorithm based and lots of people are getting boosted.

That or it's all sex bots flooding in. 🤷‍♂️

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Ive been getting a deluge of low quality posters on my For You tab ever since the most recent influx of new users. Nothing but bigoted ass posts from randos about the current Israel Palestine conflict. I have no idea why Threads keeps boosting this shit.

Its starting to look more like Twitter in that respect which honestly sucks.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I hope Japanese users move to Threads. Used to follow a lot of Japanese game developers.

I miss Yuzo Koshiro's wholesome Twitter so much 🥹

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I've been getting a lot of Israel-Palestine but mostly fine, humanizing all victims, or some just emphasizing the complexity and encouraging people to avoid posting ignorant takes. Sometimes with a few bad replies but typically outnumbered.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

I think it's a good thing. I don't want Meta being the arbiter of what "news" gets boosted and what doesn't. They did that with Facebook and it didn't go well for them or anyone.

If you want news, there are lost of accounts you can follow without news being pushed to people who might not want to see it. Trending topics, once it's launched, will do a lot of heavy lifting too.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
I think it's a good thing. I don't want Meta being the arbiter of what "news" gets boosted and what doesn't. They did that with Facebook and it didn't go well for them or anyone.

If you want news, there are lost of accounts you can follow without news being pushed to people who might not want to see it. Trending topics, once it's launched, will do a lot of heavy lifting too.
100% agree.

Let the users dictate what to discuss and what trends.

Also, X went down again so prepare for more users to join lol.

Mar 7, 2020
USA

What happened?

EU ask Musk to moderate disinformation in the isareal/gaza conflict Musk respond with freeze peach and fight me bro.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Im surprised by the sheer amount of people who acknowledge the danger of algorithmic news begging for Meta to get more involved in the algorithmic news business on threads. it's truly bizarre

What happened to following news accounts and using that?

beat

Oct 28, 2017
100% agree.

Let the users dictate what to discuss and what trends.
You say that like Threads isn't fully censoring whatever search terms they consider controversial. (Examples include "covid" and "proud boys" -- the latter is especially funny because "proud boys and girls" is not a suppressed search.)

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
You say that like Threads isn't fully censoring whatever search terms they consider controversial. (Examples include "covid" and "proud boys" -- the latter is especially funny because "proud boys and girls" is not a suppressed search.)
A funny thing I learned today is to get around the search suppression you can just use a letter with an accent like "Vàccine".

Royalan

Not actually the youngest mod — AP Fact Check
Oct 24, 2017

Yeah.

The entire conversation reeks of entitlement*, imo.

I follow a handful of journalists and news organizations. There is a healthy dose of news in my feed whenever I open the app. There's no breaking story that I've "missed" by being on Threads and not X/Twitter.

What a few really loud people want is Threads to repeat the same mistakes with turning news stories into engagement farms that made news on Facebook awful and made news on Twitter awful years before Elon ever bought it. Like, we've done this, and it was horrible. It's WHY Twitter is such a cesspool now.

*the heavy-handed search filtering though, I agree, they should tweak that a bit.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
I'm seeing loads of people complaining about this on threads and I really don't understand why.

Why should a platform artificially boost any particular content over others? Surely that's just a recipe for Meta choosing what should and shouldn't be news.
Perhaps I was too terse, but what I meant to say was that Meta clearly isn't committing to not boosting other topics. Hell, the whole point of Threads forcing you to the algorithmic timeline every time -- the reverse-chronological choice is deliberately not sticky -- is so they can boost and deboost stuff.

And therefore if they boost non-news and don't boost news, that's an editorial choice too.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Honestly the only thing from Twitter I miss on Threads is that on my Following feed, it doesn't float when the original poster responds to replies or has a reply post to themselves. Also doesn't float if two people I follow reply to each other. Have to click into a thread to see anything.l beyond the initial post.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
I'm hoping when they release the API that we'll get more customization. I need something with auto-refresh.

I'm manually using an auto-refresh Chrome extension only for Threads but it makes it difficult when posting, lol.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps I was too terse, but what I meant to say was that Meta clearly isn't committing to not boosting other topics. Hell, the whole point of Threads forcing you to the algorithmic timeline every time -- the reverse-chronological choice is deliberately not sticky -- is so they can boost and deboost stuff.

And therefore if they boost non-news and don't boost news, that's an editorial choice too.
That's not the same thing. The algorithm gives you stuff that matches things you're interested in. I get news on my feed because I follow them and interact. That's not the same thing as boosting it artificially for everyone whether they like it or not. The algorithm is not making an editorial choice.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Threads continuing to add features.

Wish they had delayed it's launch. Could have gotten a lot more retention.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
meh the userbase seems to be increasing substantially.

How active is the userbase though?

Also game websites still seem slow to adapt. I think gamespot only posted one article yesterday. Which hurts the ability for smaller games to get traction.

Of course twitter also sucks now. But right now while Threads is the best alternative we've got it's not enough yet to really give the boost to products that really need the word of mouth.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

Also game websites still seem slow to adapt. I think gamespot only posted one article yesterday. Which hurts the ability for smaller games to get traction.

Of course twitter also sucks now. But right now while Threads is the best alternative we've got it's not enough yet to really give the boost to products that really need the word of mouth.
This past week especially has been extremely active. My feed is popping off. Can't speak to your examples but I don't think the expectation should be that everyone leaves Twitter and everything moves over to Threads wholesale as it was. Overall though my feed is full of artists, writers, news, space stuff and science stuff. Getting more artists from Japan and Korea as well which is nice.

Jul 1, 2020
There are always new posts when I open the app. Like Bluesky, Threads seems to get more active when Elon fucks something up with Twitter. Twitter being unwilling to do basically anything about misinformation in the wake of the Hamas attack and in general may be the catalyst for this recent surge in activity.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

extremely active for what I follow, which is mostly news and politics. The gaming and sports stuff is definitely slower than twitter, but it's passable.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
This past week especially has been extremely active. My feed is popping off. Can't speak to your examples but I don't think the expectation should be that everyone leaves Twitter and everything moves over to Threads wholesale as it was. Overall though my feed is full of artists, writers, news, space stuff and science stuff. Getting more artists from Japan and Korea as well which is nice.

Well that's good to hear. Hopefully gaming discussion starts to get more traction.

How is entertainment? (Film, TV, etc.)

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's good to hear. Hopefully gaming discussion starts to get more traction.

How is entertainment? (Film, TV, etc.)
I think this is being muted a bit by the strike. Deadline and Hollywood Reporter are pretty active. Stuff like PopCrave are very active. I follow a few actors but they are either posting about the strike or (this week) about the Hamas/Israel stuff. Michael Rappaport is always a good follow lol, he's very active. A few of the franchise accounts I follow are posting regularly. Like the Wheel of Time show account.

For gaming Xbox posts regularly, as does Sarah Bond. Playstation, not so much.

Really it depends on who you follow and as I said I feel like as of this week things are ramping up.