• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, the game seems fun. Only gotten through the intro mission, the combat seems alright.

A game based around loot where you can't actually see the loot doesn't seem like a good design choice though.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I had one mission tonight where I loaded in with another player. I was Iron Man and he was Hulk.

Then the game got confused and loaded up two Ms. Marvel's and two Black Widows.

M34dtmE.png

OBV36vd.png

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Love Nolan North as Nathan Drake

Hate him as Tony Stark

WAY better Voice Acting for him in Ultimate Alliance 3 and Iron Man VR

I had one mission tonight where I loaded in with another player. I was Iron Man and he was Hulk.

Then the game got confused and loaded up two Ms. Marvel's and two Black Widows.

M34dtmE.png

OBV36vd.png
Wow you unlocked the life model decoys

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Idk why but this beta just feels off for me. When I got to the first story mission, I played the first fight scene as hulk and just turned it off

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Will they declare victory if over a period of years they make similar moves to Destiny's growth?

I haven't played much Destiny so I don't know if that is a good model for this or any other team game that is not Destiny. Aside from whole costumes, you can't really visually express yourself beyond your achieved character levels. What "endgame" or future advanced-campaign loot will put the avenger moves over the top or change the way people will play? The characters already are who they are.

I suppose they could dress up the proceedings with a collection of missions that are "classic comic moments" or "classic MCU moments" or something like that. Destiny, being a new IP, had to push its own mythology forward. Comic superhero IP is always going to have an eye toward the past. Which direction will this team head?
My most basic takeaway from the game is that they did this game bass ackwards. It earnestly feels like they wanted to make a loot grinding game in which you play as various Avengers. The proper way (imo) would be to make a game where you play as various Avengers and just so happen to grind loot.

The story mode is obviously present, but I don't see it being the focus of the game at all. There's too much emphasis on making your number go up to make me believe they're using the story mode as the main hook. Like you've said, I don't understand what their goal actually is here. I don't feel compelled to get loot because that loot only makes numbers go up; My Iron Man won't look any different after I've gotten him full Legendary gear than he did when I started the game. And that sucks. Visual upgrades is one of the de facto goals for these games.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a solid 7 out of 10 game. I wish it was better, but it's fun enough and it will probably be ok with friends.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
Well I've gotten everything on the battle card for iron man and black widow. Working on hulk and ms marvel now. Sucks that the timer ticked all the way down for new weeklys but didn't actually reset. Game is addictive as hell

1 gift from Zen_Mu

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018
This giveaway has unfortunately been cancelled.

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Zen_Mu Zen_Mu!

This is a first-come first-serve giveaway. Any claimed prize will instantly be delivered.

Zen_Mu said:
Been busy this weekend and didn't notice that for some reason Intel sent me yet another email with a different beta code. I don't get it. Anyway, you'll only get a day to play at this point, but I believe you can play again next weekend maybe?

First come first serve.
Redeem here: https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/redeem

These are our awesome prizes:

• PC (via Intel) PC (via Intel): Avengers Beta code

Sinralus

Mar 22, 2019
So far its ok. Kamala and the Widow are pretty good, grabbing people and smashing others with them with the hulk is satisfying but Iron man doesn't work very well for me.
1. Some of the gameplay cuts seem very jarring like you finish destroying reactors with enemies around then poof the enemies disappear, but there is still more mission.
2. Iron man's flight in doors isn't that great, and his chest laser special move seems to only be useful for big guys because the turning is so slow
3. Defending the point objectives can get pretty hectic in single player because you have no command over your allies.

1 gift from Zen_Mu

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Zen_Mu Zen_Mu!

This is a first-come first-serve giveaway. Any claimed prize will instantly be delivered.

Zen_Mu said:
Been busy this weekend and didn't notice that for some reason Intel sent me yet another email with a different beta code. I don't get it. Anyway, you'll only get a day to play at this point, but I believe you can play again next weekend? Maybe?

First come first serve.
Redeem here: https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/redeem

*Meant to click everything must go, so had cancel the first one.

These are our awesome prizes:

• PC (via Intel) PC (via Intel): Avengers beta code - Won by AznMan37 AznMan37 (1 entry)

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Finally managed to play the demo. First random question: I pre-ordered on PS4, but redeemed the beta key for PC because I wanted to see how it would perform (I didn't realize at the time that pre-order goodies would be tied to this key, nor that Spiderman was a PS4-only thing). Did I screw myself out of pre-order bonuses? Or do they carry over across platforms because they're tied to a Square Enix account?

With that out of the way: it's fine. I think if this was a standard single-played game with a decent campaign, I'd be reasonably happy. There are two main aspects I don't really like: the loot, which feels like a distraction and an annoyance (why am I juggling four or five different types of resources and all sorts of gear I barely understand?), and the Hulk, who I don't understand how to play very well. Of all the characters I played in the demo (up to getting access to the War Table), the Hulk weirdly felt like the slowest AND the most fragile, which is completely bizarre. Ranged enemies just seem to fuck you over, and the prime robot assassins with the purple swords seem to be a guaranteed second hit if they land the first one, and they hurt. You're the HULK. Why is it possible to chip away at his health and kill him so easily? I didn't like him at all.

Hilariously, playing as Kamala, those exact same robot assassins are a piece of cake. Dodging feels a lot more natural and I do pretty much the same amount of damage despite not having the Hulk's brute force. Seems real weird, but I wouldn't worry about it at all (maining Kamala would be fine for me!) except that it sounds like the campaign forces you to use specific characters at specific times, and random matchmaking missions will lock out particular heroes as soon as someone selects them so you'll have to learn how to play different roles. I fear the mission I have to play as Hulk and fuck it up for everyone because I'm bad at him.

I dunno. I guess I still have that $55 CAD pre-order, but I find it hard to believe this game won't be on sale for that price again very soon, even if it's successful. Still on the fence, and worried I'm about to walk into a trap like I did with Destiny 1 back in the day.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
How long is this beta? As in time to complete? I feel like they gave us a huge portion of the game which is pretty amazing

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
this game has one of the more enjoyable Photo Modes. The only other photo mode i ever really cared to use before was the one in God of War.
I can see myself using this one a lot.

I would like if they added some sort of comic filter and borders. Or even something to make word bubbles....and make little comic looking scenes

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
1. How do you vault over enemies?(I forgot)
2. What's Lightning Hands?(In reference to Widow's challenge card?)

Oct 25, 2017
When does this get unlocked? I just started the forest mission with Bruce.

I did it last weekend, so I don't remember exactly. Not too far after that. You'll walk around the hub as Kamala, I think you can do it right after that.

It'll be easier if you level someone up a bit to get more skills.

1. How do you vault over enemies?(I forgot)

Hold Dodge (on PS4 it's Circle) and press the left stick towards them.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
Sad to say but I don't like the gameplay. It just doesn't feel right to me. The loot is no fun at all at the moment. Also the game has multiple problems in the technical department (I hate this shaky cam!).

They have so much work to do.

Last edited:

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
When does this get unlocked? I just started the forest mission with Bruce.
I think there are two story missions you go on with Hulk and Kamala before you are instructed to visit the HARM Room and have Kamala play Iron Man. Then you'll unlock the Helicarrier as a mission location from the War Room table and have access to Iron Man and Black Widow. Then you select the first HARM Room challenge mission from the table and after you finish, you'll unlock the next mission. There are three. Apparently you need to use one character to go through all three.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Sad to say but I don't like the gameplay. It just doesn't feel right to me. Also the game has multiple problems in the technical department (I hate this shaky cam!). Will it sell? Sure. But it will lose so many players in the first months..
anything thats not an online FPS will lose players. But look at Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. A game with a similar setup. With probably even less reliance on the online element. That game was relevant for nearly a year after release. And i bet it would have stayed relevant had Avengers not come around, and had they continued to support it with more DLC.

So its a stretch for me to think this games gonna like die quick or anything. I think its more likely to do well. Then again we dont have much to compare this too completely. And Ultimate Alliance had a lot more characters to choose from.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
So I got a good five hours on the beta and I will say that I am ready for the game. Can't say it is a high vote of confidence, but it didn't feel like it was going to be a nightmare for the base launch.

I guess the biggest problem I have is that we don't have a good idea of progression yet for Avengers since after you get to the base and get JARVIS online, the game comes to a grinding halt. Of course, the point being is to get players to enjoy the missions and all that fun stuff, but for me, I might actually take my time in playing the story mode, unlocking all the characters, and working towards completing goals and objectives before actually going online with random players. Suddenly going into the random missions felt like there was a small set of examples to showcase the game well since there were a few kinds of missions that did end as fast as they started. Perhaps when you go through the story, level up your team and get everyone to a state where you can get your mileage out of any of the six playable characters, you can set up fun team comps to back you up in single-player while knowing which character you gel with the best to play online with.

Luckily for me, I do like games that kind of has repetitive action, but I know it is a feeling not shared by many. It does seem like if, given the option, players would rather rush to the objective and finish immediately rather than explore a few of the areas that are set up to get loot. Alongside with that, progression is difficult to say too since I only bothered to get Ironman maxed out (which since it is a beta, you don't get the chance to unlock all the skills), but it does make me wonder if we could see for the full game. Will we see "different styles" for the Avengers like alternative skills and ultimates? Or is what we see is what we're going to get (except that we don't know the rest of the tree)?

I'm guessing both considering how in one screenshot I found online did provide that answer, and we do see how there's "Primary," "Specialty," "Capability," and "Utility."
marvels-avengers-ps4-gameplay-skill-trees.original.jpg

I'm actually curious to know what would be under the other three tabs, but I'm guessing those were left out so that players would just focus on improving their hero's movesets. That or maybe "spoilers" for the full game; who knows?

Overall, I will say that I got what I was expecting and it is kind of nice how you can have characters all have different playstyles while having similar things going for them. Kind of like how everyone does have a range move to their name and how (in the case of Ironman and black widow) you can change around the projectile you use. It was actually what sold me to play with the two of them over Hulk and Marvel since it felt like there was just a bit more variety in the gameplay rather than just "mash Square/X to knock the target over." But would I recommend it? That's harder to say.

I know for some, the idea of Spider-Man being on the PS version will be a selling point, but the game itself needs to be engaging for a good 3+ months before he arrives (if the early 2021 release date is the plan for him). It would be a shame if by the time Spider-Man does join Avengers, the player base up and disappears and a small percentage of those who got the game actually stuck around to play as him. Whereas if the game does have a big launch and becomes a huge success, you can get that Spider-Man will be the cherry on top of that cake (and it wouldn't be "PS Avengers needed Spider-Man in order to be successful").

---

My thoughts are kind of all over the place at the moment. It is less about "Am I sold on the game?" and more, "Will this sell others?" I'm ready for the release in September, but can't say for sure if others are yet...

Edit: Found a different screenshot that shows what looks to be an updated look at the skills page. Thanks, Arkestry. Mind you this was from the War Table stream showcasing Primary, Specialty and and Mastery. Hard to say what they could be covering, but I took a small guess at a few of them in a post below this one.

Last edited:

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Man I'm really loving this beta. There's times where the grind is a pain in the ass but the gameplay is so fun and chaotic. Im curious how squad will differ. I think rocksteady will nail the combat. Hopefully I'll be able to play it on my pro like this game. Back to avengers I've been using hulk mainly during these two weeks. I've also used iron man a few times. I think I'll try black widow based off these recommendations. Is the frozen tundra vault secret mission only allowed to to be played once? I did it with hulk and it was fun. Also where do you get dna cards from?

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm actually curious to know what would be under the other three tabs, but I'm guessing those were left out so that players would just focus on improving their hero's movesets. That or maybe "spoilers" for the full game; who knows?
I think that's an old screenshot as newer ones show there's just two other tabs. I think they're "Specialty" and "Mastery".

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's an old screenshot as newer ones show there's just two other tabs. I think they're "Specialty" and "Mastery".

Ah! Thank you Arkestry.

Just looked it up and found it.

q3kux9zdr0751.jpg

It does seem a bit more organized this way, but again, I do find myself wondering what those two are. Even in the Reddit that I grabbed the screenshot from didn't seem to explain much, but one comment took a guess in saying "Speciality focuses on the 3 heroic skills support, assault and ultimate" while Mastery is more along the lines of how augmenting moves (like being able to manually target enemies with ranged attacks).

Hard to say how deep it will go without seeing it in full, and unfortunately my "speculation game" hasn't been all too keen with Avengers as of late. But thanks again for the heads up.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Ah! Thank you Arkestry.

Just looked it up and found it.

q3kux9zdr0751.jpg

It does seem a bit more organized this way, but again, I do find myself wondering what those two are. Even in the Reddit that I grabbed the screenshot from didn't seem to explain much, but one comment took a guess in saying "Speciality focuses on the 3 heroic skills support, assault and ultimate" while Mastery is more along the lines of how augmenting moves (like being able to manually target enemies with ranged attacks).

Hard to say how deep it will go without seeing it in full, and unfortunately my "speculation game" hasn't been all too keen with Avengers as of late. But thanks again for the heads up.
I know in one of the other tabs the hulkbuster gets powered up with missiles and other things for ironman

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
So each tree has it's own abilities? I saw the ai put on Hulkbuster armor.
From what we've seen, not exactly.

The three trees are Primary, Specialty, and Mastery Primary looks to be straightforward additional abilities, Specialty looks to tweak abilities into different forms, Mastery looks to push your character towards melee, ranged, or support. Each set of trees has a different impact on the character overall, rather than being completely different.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
8 hours in so far but not feeling it. It almost felt like the game was designed by two different studios and they just staple the two parts together. Something is lacking with the level design but I can't put my finger on it.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm...having a ton of fun?
It's a bit janky but I'm absolutely loving the "Fuck yeah I'm an avenger" feel after the shitty start

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It should have been separate. It's really jarring going from the intensely detailed Uncharted forest, to a barren snow land with a mindless hulk tailing you. Trying to merge everything and have the detailed SP with the big coop is probably why it took so long to make. It's unnecessary.

It might feel better in the full game because you'll be locked from using characters until you find them in the story so it will gradually open up, but it will lock you out of 4 player coop for hours. It's all very strange. I'm also very worried there'll only be like 6 SP missions with as much detail as the two we saw.
You aren't locked out. The devs said you can immediately go into the post-campaign 4 player co-op. It has it's own menu option in the main menu. You do not need to engage with the campaign at all if you don't want to.

Stanng243

Oct 25, 2017
Tried the beta again, this game is wait for discount for me. The main story was fun, but I tried some of the other missions, and they weren't. I've got no interest in chasing loot or playing with others. So when it's really cheap, I'll grab it for the story.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently even more names of playable characters was found in the PC version of the beta. I didn't look into the source of it but it adds more echo characters.

Names of abilities and stuff in the pastebin too. Hmm.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
The confirmed launch ones are:
Cap
Iron Man
Hulk
Thor
Black Widow
Ms. Marvel

People are starting to think there could be a surprise character being kept hidden who'll be in the launch game which is
Captain Marvel
but there's nothing definitive on that yet
There's a bigger list of playable characters Reddit and people on Discord found within the files.

Apparently even more names of playable characters was found in the PC version of the beta. I didn't look into the source of it but it adds more echo characters.

Names of abilities and stuff in the pastebin too. Hmm.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Tried the beta again, this game is wait for discount for me. The main story was fun, but I tried some of the other missions, and they weren't. I've got no interest in chasing loot or playing with others. So when it's really cheap, I'll grab it for the story.
Yeah me to. Also its always kinda wait and see how the content is done after launch for these games and with next gen coming also. I rather wait to play it on next gen also.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Played a couple of hours and made it to the Chimera's war table. It was fine, average even. Some characters feel good to play (Miss Marvel, Iron Man), others don't (Hulk, Captain). Loot is completely pointless and the action is the worst offender: it's just very basic so far. I'll play a bit more this Sunday with a friend but I'm not feeling it. I'm glad it's not great, it'll make me sticking to my decision of not buying it (on account of the Spider-man exclusivity deal) that much easier.

Oh yeah, PC performance - not great.

Of all the characters I played in the demo (up to getting access to the War Table), the Hulk weirdly felt like the slowest AND the most fragile, which is completely bizarre. Ranged enemies just seem to fuck you over, and the prime robot assassins with the purple swords seem to be a guaranteed second hit if they land the first one, and they hurt. You're the HULK. Why is it possible to chip away at his health and kill him so easily? I didn't like him at all.
I think the key is using his Rage Mode or whatever it's called (holding R2/RT whilst attacking), which will regenerate his health for every successful strike (and I think there was a note that if you get hit you lose a bit more health than usual as a trade-off).

Discord link

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Okay I've set up a real quick and dirty discord for the game. Not super keen on managing it forever, so if anyone knows anything about Discord management please let me know and I'll happily let you take over.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Tried this for an hour. Its poor. Combat is really weak, lacks any punch to it and I laughed at the Destiny ish of it all.