• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
4sea_hulk_emote.gif

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Ironman is unusually cool to play. What really sells it is his animations. And the fact that you can pretty much fly anywhere you want during combat. I think he will be my main since I dont see anyone talking about him (only widow).

(if I end up getting the game... Performance is lackluster)

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Ironman is unusually cool to play. What really sells it is his animations. And the fact that you can pretty much fly anywhere you want during combat. I think he will be my main since I dont see anyone talking about him (only widow).

(if I end up getting the game... Performance is lackluster)
I like the when he does the no look blast during a combo

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when do you expect them to fix the AI so you can direct them? It's annoying playing as say Black Widow and knowing you can't break doors down or Hulk/Kamala with hacking in certain missions.

Kinda forces your hand to play as Ironman as he can do both if you aren't trying to matchmake.

Cancelled my pre-order as there's nothing here beyond the IP and the movesets that's actually enjoyable and expecting plenty of grind for anything that requires mats or bypassing the economy.

ps3ud0 8)

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't stop playing this beta. Over the last two weekends I clocked in more than 20 hours of this. This is so addicting that I even got Ultimate Alliance 3 including Season Pass yesterday to hold me over til launch lol

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Finally managed to play the demo. First random question: I pre-ordered on PS4, but redeemed the beta key for PC because I wanted to see how it would perform (I didn't realize at the time that pre-order goodies would be tied to this key, nor that Spiderman was a PS4-only thing). Did I screw myself out of pre-order bonuses? Or do they carry over across platforms because they're tied to a Square Enix account?

With that out of the way: it's fine. I think if this was a standard single-played game with a decent campaign, I'd be reasonably happy. There are two main aspects I don't really like: the loot, which feels like a distraction and an annoyance (why am I juggling four or five different types of resources and all sorts of gear I barely understand?), and the Hulk, who I don't understand how to play very well. Of all the characters I played in the demo (up to getting access to the War Table), the Hulk weirdly felt like the slowest AND the most fragile, which is completely bizarre. Ranged enemies just seem to fuck you over, and the prime robot assassins with the purple swords seem to be a guaranteed second hit if they land the first one, and they hurt. You're the HULK. Why is it possible to chip away at his health and kill him so easily? I didn't like him at all.

Hilariously, playing as Kamala, those exact same robot assassins are a piece of cake. Dodging feels a lot more natural and I do pretty much the same amount of damage despite not having the Hulk's brute force. Seems real weird, but I wouldn't worry about it at all (maining Kamala would be fine for me!) except that it sounds like the campaign forces you to use specific characters at specific times, and random matchmaking missions will lock out particular heroes as soon as someone selects them so you'll have to learn how to play different roles. I fear the mission I have to play as Hulk and fuck it up for everyone because I'm bad at him.

I dunno. I guess I still have that $55 CAD pre-order, but I find it hard to believe this game won't be on sale for that price again very soon, even if it's successful. Still on the fence, and worried I'm about to walk into a trap like I did with Destiny 1 back in the day.

Hulk is all about using his Rage mode and using enemies as clubs to do crazy AOE damage and stagger/stun.
I have a stream video of me playing as Hulk and basically going through a lot of his stuff (this is at low level) and how to use him. I play him on hard mode here https://youtu.be/9m3NA7Bz_YQ?t=293
He is basically the tank, even has a move that gives him armor and taunts enemies, he absorbs damage with his rage meter, deals more damage with it AND heals himself with it. Basically an ABSOLUTE UNIT.

Random matchmaking will not lock you out of anything cause you select your hero BEFORE you matchmake and then only get matched with people who have selected other heroes.

So when do you expect them to fix the AI so you can direct them? It's annoying playing as say Black Widow and knowing you can't break doors down or Hulk/Kamala with hacking in certain missions.

Kind forces your hand to play as Ironman as he can do both if you aren't trying to matchmake.

ps3ud0 8)

The devs said they want to add commands in the future and also make it so the AI automatically smashes doors or hacks terminals for you.
No idea if at launch or later

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The devs said they want to add commands in the future and also make it so the AI automatically smashes doors or hacks terminals for you.
No idea if at launch or later
I think I watched part of your video and saw it mentioned as well, originally I thought multiple power moves would break the doors but had no luck.

I will revisit this next gen - hopefully the Devs dont punish late adopters like in Destiny.

ps3ud0 8)

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just found out that if you put the cosmic debuff on enemies they take increased damage AND your hero gets healed whenever he damages them

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think I watched part of your video and saw it mentioned as well, originally I thought multiple power moves would break the doors but had no luck.

I will revisit this next gen - hopefully the Devs dont punish late adopters like in Destiny.

ps3ud0 8)
Yeah right now in the beta the only ways to break those doors are power moves from Hulk, Kamala and the Hulkbuster

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed the first 10 minutes or so of the beta but the action gets repetitive really quickly and the fights outstay their welcomes. I do like a lot of the elements around it: I got addicted to the levelling system straight off the bat and the graphics are pretty good but the action just doesn't have enough variety to it.

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
Wasn't expecting to like this game as much as I did.
It looks and runs great (PSpro), and most of the heroes were fun to play.
I liked Captain America the most, from what little I got to play with him, and I would rank them as follows:
Captain > Hulk > > Kamala > BW > Ironman > Thor.
Ironman and Thor felt clumsy to me.

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
I'm abit torn on this. It was fun in parts, but it was pretty unpolished and rough in parts, and some of the boss fights were kinda stupid.

If they can promise improvements I'll probably pick it up for a dumb multiplayer destiny like game.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
HULK is just too slow and weak.

HULK should have greater speed in a straight line than Cap and Widow.

But he's just lumbering and weak can't take too much damage.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The challenger card kinda confuses me, I can basically buy tiers with that currecy that is required for it and I bought like the entire card in one go for Ms Marvel.

I don't even know where I got that much currency from or what else can we do with that currency? What's the downside of buying tiers? Will this currency also be used to buy real season passes like Warzone?

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
The challenger card kinda confuses me, I can basically buy tiers with that currecy that is required for it and I bought like the entire card in one go for Ms Marvel.

I don't even know where I got that much currency from or what else can we do with that currency? What's the downside of buying tiers? Will this currency also be used to buy real season passes like Warzone?
It's the premium currency, they just give you a bunch for the beta. It doesn't carry over.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Hulk can absorb damage, regain his health from dealing damage and also has a heroic that gives him armor.
He is anything but weak.
I fully agree that his sprint needs to be faster though. His jumps are ok, but the sprint is too slow.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Use Rage (pressing R2) while punhing to regen health. You can improve Rage in the skill tree too. He can get pretty tanky.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ah yeah that makes sense, everything said free but costs currency anyways.
You normally unlock all those things by doing the daily and weekly challenges for the characters which give you challenge points.
Each challenge card takes 200 challenge points to fully unlock. in the beta a daily challenge gives 3 and a weekly gives 11.
These values can obviously be totally different in the full game

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Its really strange, I know--video game but I just dont feel powerful at all.
It's all about the Rage mode and using it to parry and absorb damage while healing yourself.
Also using enemies as clubs which is just insanely strong.
Have you seen my video of me playing as Hulk earlier? I don't really want to post it again cause I feel I get banned for advertising lol
If you look a couple posts above you can see the link there

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Incredible, I have not been able to start a single mission online today because somebody always does not klick on "launch mission".

I hope the retail release just starts the missions anyway.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Had several crashes and bugs but I can still see the potential in the game. I want to roll the PC version first before I decide though. I really hope this is an older build with a lot of improvements in the retail version but I'm definitely waiting for positive impressions/patch support and possibly enhancements for a PS5 release/upgrade.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Incredible, I have not been able to start a single mission online today because somebody always does not klick on "launch mission".

I hope the retail release just starts the missions anyway.
Yeah took me a while yesterday to get into proper missions. I usually play solo but wanted to at least try some multiplayer.
Once I got into some missions it worked pretty well though, although it felt kinda weird in some ways, like attacks from other heroes just wouldn't really show up. It also kept putting an AI Iron Man Hulkbuster hologram into the missions lol

Xclusion

Nov 8, 2017
Tried this for an hour. Its poor. Combat is really weak, lacks any punch to it and I laughed at the Destiny ish of it all.

I'm not here to say its great because I get anthem vibes but an hour tells you nothing you really have to level a character and unlock some skills. Just like Anthem the combat is actually the strong point and it actually seems to have better loot drops but I worry that it will all become repetitive.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Is the matchmaking broken on PS4? doesn´t find any players which simply can´t be. doesn´t bode well for the release when there are problems to find 3 other players in the "beta".(which is more a glorified demo anyways)

and all in all to me it seems this whole loot and co op stuff is more like an afterthought and because GaaS than a game completely designed and balanced with multiplayer in mind.

edit: what this game really lacks is an open world city hub like in City of Heroes/City of Villains.

Last edited:

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the mega boss mission, Attack on Titan or whatever its called lol. The HARM Challenges and that mission gave me such a big smile on my face. I can see the appeal of the game for sure. Excited to see what else is in store for launch. Definitely will be keeping an eye on this one.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is the matchmaking broken on PS4? doesn´t find any players which simply can´t be. doesn´t bode well for the release when there are problems to find 3 other players in the "beta".

and all in all to me it seems this whole loot and co op stuff seems more like an afterthought and because GaaS than a game completely designed and balanced with multiplayer in mind.
matchmaking has been borked since last weekend, yeah.
this weekend it was sometimes working.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's all about the Rage mode and using it to parry and absorb damage while healing yourself.
Also using enemies as clubs which is just insanely strong.
Have you seen my video of me playing as Hulk earlier? I don't really want to post it again cause I feel I get banned for advertising lol
If you look a couple posts above you can see the link there
I'll look for it.

Thanks, I know its going to take some time to master.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Is there a way to replay the intro mission without deleting save files or something of the sort?

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I think the traversal mechanics for Ms. Marvel and Black Widow could be improved a bit with regards to their "grapple" abilities. Right now when you grapple up to a ledge the follow-through feels a bit stiff and awkward and all momentum is killed. They could take a look at Arkham City where it was introduced where you could grapple to a ledge and transfer that momentum to a nice boost. Anyone else feel this way?

Working my back through the thread, so you may have found this out already by now. There is an upgrade skill for Black Widow's grapple-traversal that allows you to continue the momentum by holding the Jump-button.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Just one mission with the boss fight left. Having lots of fun playing as The Hulk.

Question: we have one more weekend before launch, or 2 more?

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I'm not here to say its great because I get anthem vibes but an hour tells you nothing you really have to level a character and unlock some skills. Just like Anthem the combat is actually the strong point and it actually seems to have better loot drops but I worry that it will all become repetitive.

I tried anthem, flying in that was way better than iron man by far imo.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I gotta be honest, the flying in Anthem and the flying here feel basically identical to me.
Maybe it's the use of KB+M? No idea.
I feel I can do the exact same things as Iron Man than I could do in Anthem, only I can actually fly forever lol

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really undecided on which version to get. PC should be a safe bet but that port is riddled with problems or wait for XSX or go PS4 Day1.

Goddamn.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm really undecided on which version to get. PC should be a safe bet but that port is riddled with problems or wait for XSX or go PS4 Day1.

Goddamn.
Be the best consumer you can be: ALL OF THEM :P

Joke aside, I'm sure the PC version will be fine at one point but if you're worried about performance, then wait for XSX cause PS4 performance is yikes too.
Unless you plan on getting a PS5, cause then go PS4 and use the free upgrade to PS5

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Goddamn.
I'm going PS4 Pro day 1, while I wait on the PC port to be fixed.

Least the PS4 version includes the free PS5 upgrade too, plus 2 of my mates are playing it there.

Travis Pickle

Jun 21, 2020
It's a simple, fun game with an AAA budget, for sure. I just hope it doesn't get stale too quickly, and that they don't milk the paid aspects too much.

I had the most fun with Black Widow, for sure.