• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Wait for the release and we'll get the informations about which platforms runs better.
But as it stands right now, PC is still less a pain to play than the PS4 pro version if you have a beefy PC.
Agreed, my PC is definitely a better experience, especially visually, than my PS4 right now.
Being able to turn motion blur off alone is so nice

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
As a new page has started, I'm just going to post the discord link again. Klyka I think you said you were interested in one? I think there was someone else too.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Flying in Anthem felt better technically, but this might be better solely because there's no artificial limit imposed on it

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is this Beta a reasonable way to get a feel for how you'd expect the full game to play - is it single player too? I'm curious but not into Destiny type games, so would only play this single player. And would likely play on PS5 or PC so performance issues shouldn't be a big issue - its more about getting a feel for the single player gameplay loop

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I definitely appreciate that you do not have to stop to shoot as Iron Man. You can just fly and use all his guns and it makes it feel very versatile.

is this Beta a reasonable way to get a feel for how you'd expect the full game to play - is it single player too? I'm curious but not into Destiny type games, so would only play this single player. And would likely play on PS5 or PC so performance issues shouldn't be a big issue - its more about getting a feel for the single player gameplay loop

The beta has Single Player story missions in it and lots of cutscenes, yeah. Then it goes into the "post game" which is basically where all the 4 player action is.
In the full game you can play the campaign (which will be a mix of scripted, cinematic story missions and also some of the simpler "multiplayer" missions which you can play with AI) or you can immediately jump into the multiplayer mode and basically not care about the campaign at all.
The devs specifically did this so people who don't care about story can just start grinding right away.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Btw one thing I noticed about the voice acting:

In the "To Tame a Titan" one, there is a lot of dialogue from Tony and it seems really well done and written. It's not overacted, it's not dumb but still also has some snark to it. In comparison to his terrible combat quips.
So I hope we actually get a really good performance from Nolan North and those quips in the beta are basically trash material.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Agreed, my PC is definitely a better experience, especially visually, than my PS4 right now.
Being able to turn motion blur off alone is so nice

The issue right now is that the beta is an unoptimized mess.
But if you have the spec for, you can just brute force a correct framerate. It shouldn't happen but hey, as long as it works. Problem is, with an optimized port, you could play Ultra without issues.

Right now, It would be between playing the game around 110-80 FPS on High with my rig or being forced to play between 60-20 on the PS4 pro (or even 30-20 with the 4K config). Easy to decide.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Flying in Anthem felt better technically, but this might be better solely because there's no artificial limit imposed on it

yep, no might involved.

Flying in Anthem controlled better but I seen here people said Anthem felt more like being Iron Man which is nuts to me. That game had some weird ass restriction like not being able to fly and shoot, let alone all kind of combat skills this game had where Anthem was just simple punch and shoot.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yeah I did not care for it. Especially coming off the Insomniac Spider-Man game both the gameplay and the story presentation felt like a relic.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
What does that even mean ,lol?

Iron man flying feels slow and unresponsive. Shooting his palm thingy is another really shitty poorly designed attack.

All inputs in this game feel lazy and unresponsive. There is good second input delay on everything when it comes to character controls.

But yeah, flying as IM with KBM is janky.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
You wrote "a second of input delay" which is like an insane amount of delay.
That's just not something I experienced.

In tutorial mission I kept fucking up most basic jumps over gaps because big delay between input for jump and character doing anything.

Had to have few takes so my brain learned to make input good second before I wanted jump to happen.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You know what's crazy, and I honestly do not think this is much hyperbole.... My daughter really wanted to play the avengers two player so to make her happy we fired up lego avengers.... Instantly it felt more epic and the combat was better imo. I know it's using real voice snippets so that helps but the whole thing felt better and more fun than this avengers game.

Really put it in perspective for me.

This game, from voice acting, to character designs, to mission design/overall design feels off to me. It seems confused with itself and janky.

I suppose the lego game is easy because it gas the film to draw from inspiration,I just found it interesting.

Hulk feels off in this avengers game, I dunno. Its just not great.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Ngl, I feel like 60% of my problems with the game right now is that the extreme blur makes the game feel slower and more unresponsive as I think it actually is.

Never seen it that bad honestly.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
In tutorial mission I kept fucking up most basic jumps over gaps because big delay between input for jump and character doing anything.

Had to have few takes so my brain learned to make input good second before I wanted jump to happen.
That's crazy that it is like that for you.
I promise you it isn't in any way like that for me.
I got hours of the game on stream and nothing even close to this exists for me.
if I press a button, stuff happens, you can see that in my hulk videos etc...

Hope you can find the cause for that

Sloth

Nov 27, 2017
PC version is definitely the one to go for. Just having the ability to turn off all the blurring is worth it.

Dec 16, 2017
It feels really wrong to me that grunts can take multiple direct punches from the Hulk.

Some of the game is really polished while other parts are not. Bruce Banner felt like he was floating on the ground. The game doesn't anticipate him turning around so he just spins like he's on a Lazy Susan.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
yep, no might involved.

Flying in Anthem controlled better but I seen here people said Anthem felt more like being Iron Man which is nuts to me. That game had some weird ass restriction like not being able to fly and shoot, let alone all kind of combat skills this game had where Anthem was just simple punch and shoot.
After having some time playing as Iron Man:

I'm going go maximum hot take here and say that I feel the exact opposite: Anthem felt way more like a game I would expect Iron Man to have because the gameplay generally revolves around gear combinations that can make solid combo attacks and escalates from there, whereas my experience with Iron Man so far has generally devolved into me punching people with the occasional ability.

Like he's kinda with Hulk in being the one I think is "hurt" badly by the game's GaaS setup because I'm sure I could replicate Anthem's feeling if I really bothered putting in the time in to get RNG to actually drop other stuff in my favour and get skills going and get gear that helps reduce ability cooldowns and what not...

But I just don't really care to do that: it feels too long as it is and the fact that this is a beta with likely accelerated experience gain means I'm very concerned how this whole process is going go once it's the actual live game.

(Iron Man's flying not having a limit attached to it is kinda nice but that runs into an unfixable small criticism I have of it: it's much more "floaty" due to Crystal Dynamics needing to make hero mechanics much more accessible since you'll be needing to switch between heroes. It works for its purpose but it just doesn't quite feel like actual flight)

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As a new page has started, I'm just going to post the discord link again. Klyka I think you said you were interested in one? I think there was someone else too.

[Hidden content]

oo Nice one, just joined.
I've got so much to do this weekend I've not had chance to play this weekend, hopefully I can dive in later this afternoon. Was hoping I could try some more Black Widow this time round.

Arsol

Oct 5, 2018
I feel like the range of Kamala's ledge-grab could be extended a little, but apparently sometimes it's too powerful.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
"Kamala and Widow are my favorite, and my least favorite is Hulk" is an opinion I keep seeing over and over again.

I think most people just don't know how to play the Hulk. Nobody seems to use Rage or pop their 'gain armor from nearby enemies' when they're tanking a ton of enemies. Most don't throw things, which is a huge part of his arsenal - he can spread gamma sickness pretty easily that way.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Matchmaking is slightly better but still pretty broken for me. Also, how do people not realise to turn on matchmaking. 9 times out of 10, I'm the only with it on.

I finally gave Iron Man another shot. Focused on taking out ranged enemies, turrets, drones and calling in the Hulk buster for the big mechs. Had so much more fun this time round (last week, I found him to be kinda meh). Love switching between repulsors, lasers and rockets midway through a combo (though I go with lasers mostly for that Iron Man 2 feel).

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
i realized why it can be so stressfull to fight groups in this game: it's because it is built as a co-op game, the AI is programmed to not care about whether they are on screen or off screen.

usually in games like DMC or Bayonetta, enemies know when they are off screen and won't attack as often or sometimes at all but in Avengers the AI wasn't made for that. they are made to go after their targets and don't care about camera or not
that also makes the ranged enemies so dangerous

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
My son had an interesting bug. I was on my power 45 Kamala, he was on his 35 Iron Man. He was annoyed he couldn't unlock the last of ths skills being unable to level past 15 and get more posints to spend. When I switched out to my low level Widow before starting the mission, his Iron Man went a bit wonky - it kept the skills, but took the level of his unused Kamala and all her gear. He was then able to play through a mission for a while and earn another skill point and spend it on another skill. The game hung before we got to finish the mission (he's playing over shitty wi-fi) but he was left with only one IM skill unlocked, but back to level 9 or 10 and still mostly decked out in Kamala gear. When we started another mission he got one more skill point, and the last unlock says 1/1, but it's now got a padlock and won't let him spend it unfortunately, would have been nice to get every skill. I'll go on his account later and see what happens with a bit more play, haven't had a chance to use IM yet as it's the only character he wants to use :)

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Me and a friend already noticed some repeated/reptitive mission objectives as well as reused locations in the beta alone.

Still though, a fun game with friends.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Me and a friend already noticed some repeated/reptitive mission objectives as well as reused locations in the beta alone.

Still though, a fun game with friends.
do note that the devs have said all the beta content is a small slice of what they got. the drop zones for example are supposed to be randomized when you do them which they aren't in the beta

according to the warzone designer on the itmejp stream, they have "over 80 zones" in the full game.
So i think that is war zones, drop zones, villain sectors and iconic missions all together

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
do note that the devs have said all the beta content is a small slice of what they got. the drop zones for example are supposed to be randomized when you do them which they aren't in the beta

according to the warzone designer on the itmejp stream, they have "over 80 zones" in the full game.
So i think that is war zones, drop zones, villain sectors and iconic missions all together
I mean, that's cool, but I've no doubt we'll see the "hold this area for however many seconds" and whatever other mission types repeated quite a bit.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I mean, that's cool, but I've no doubt we'll see the "hold this area for however many seconds" and whatever other mission types repeated quite a bit.
oh that's what you meant! Yes we are definitely gonna see that everywhere.
If you look at the drop zones in the beta, they basically show you the objectives there mostly are in the game.
again, full release could surprise of course.

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
I feel like the range of Kamala's ledge-grab could be extended a little, but apparently sometimes it's too powerful.

I think the ledge grabs need reworked entirely. Like with Black Widow you have to wait until you fall below the grab point to use her grappling hook. Which is completely different from just about every other game with that ability.

Some other gripes are:
Not being able to command an AI teammate to smash a breakable wall. Why some characters can break them and others can't is just odd but it's made even worse because the AI doesn't recognize these points.

The vault mechanic should be better. I swear I hold dodge and LS toward an enemy and nothing happens most of the time. Can't tell if the mechanic is crappy or if there are enemies that are unvaultable, if there are there should be better visual indication that you can't vault them. Like in Arkham or Middle Earth where the character tries but gets thrown back. Instead of me just standing there for a few seconds getting pummeled.

Similar issue with the blockable attack indicators, they are much harder to see in all the chaos than most games with this combat style.

The AI needs to do a better job attacking turrets. Why do I always have to take them out?

The AI completely ignores control points and just hangs out in the middle of rooms.

I don't like how you can accidentally over damage an enemy and disable the takedown indicator. Like, I'm doing a combo, I shouldn't be punished for it.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The vault mechanic should be better. I swear I hold block and LS toward an enemy and nothing happens most of the time. Can't tell if the mechanic is crappy or if there are enemies that are unvaultable, if there are there should be better visual indication that you can't vault them. Like in Arkham or Middle Earth where the character tries but gets thrown back.
You need to hold dodge, not block.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like this game very much. The story missions were the highlight, even if they weren't amazing. I might grab it just to power through the campaign and trade it in. I don't think the gameplay is fun enough to prop up the never ending loop they're building, and the issue is exacerbated greatly by making a loot game where the loot doesn't matter. I'm not going to grind missions and activities with Hulk just for an invisible shin bone that raises my defence 6.3% and raises my fire resistance, that's stupid

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So Hawkeye and Spidey are confirmed free characters.... and possibly Captain Marvel is rumored as possibly unlockable?