Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
any recommendation for Villainness story?
Manga/webtoon I'll take it.
First rec for villainess stuff is always going to be Bakarina/My Next Life as a Villainess. Very silly reverse-harem romcom isekai. Girl reincarnated into the antagonist of an otome game she was playing before she died, her attempts to avoid a bad end up with the entire cast of the game - including the erstwhile main character - joining the Katarinabowl. It's a little formulaic, but it's a damn good formula. Also has an anime, if you're into that kind of thing.

The translations I've found are all a little shaky, but I'm also very fond of May I Please Ask You One Last Thing? Has an opening that'll feel very familiar to you once you spend more time in the villainess subgenre - oh no, this outrageously gorgeous woman is about to be publicly denounced by her fiancee! But instead of doing what most series do and having the shock reawaken some past lives or something, the protagonist of May I puts on a pair of fingerless leather gloves and kicks the shit out of her POS fiancee, his new squeeze, and all his sneering corrupt buddies, because in addition to being extremely pretty she also has superpowers. It's a fun little action series with a lot of romcom in it, as the fiancee's scheming brother starts maneuvering the protagonist to deal with bastards across the kingdom. The love story between a violent lunatic and a manipulative sociopath. I love it to bits.

Honorable mentions go to Holy Grail of Eris, Endo & Kobayashi's Live Commentary of the Villainess, and Fiancee's Observation Log of the Self-Proclaimed Villainess. Holy Grail doesn't actually focus on a villainess, but rather, an extremely innocent young woman who gets wrapped up in courtly intrigue and ends up haunted by the ghost of a famous villainess who got executed a couple decades ago. There's romance, scheming, very elaborate social maneuvering - probably best-in-class at that, really. Endo & Kobayashi is probably the weirdest one. Basically, a girl in modern-day Japan convinces her clubmate in the broadcasting club to live-commentate her favorite otome game with her, which he agrees to because he's crushing on her. But once they start doing it, things get weird - one of the characters in the game starts to respond to their commentary, which is mostly about how cute the villainess character's tsundere is. Odd premise, very cute execution. Fiancee, meanwhile, focuses, as you might guess, on the fiancee of the villainess character - basically if Bakarina was about one of the capture targets. The art is... not great, but the content is very adorable.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Yep that's the localized name!
Cheers.
First rec for villainess stuff is always going to be Bakarina/My Next Life as a Villainess. Very silly reverse-harem romcom isekai. Girl reincarnated into the antagonist of an otome game she was playing before she died, her attempts to avoid a bad end up with the entire cast of the game - including the erstwhile main character - joining the Katarinabowl. It's a little formulaic, but it's a damn good formula. Also has an anime, if you're into that kind of thing.
Maybe a loaded question here but - manga or light novel?

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Revengers

Anime hype got me to binge this and wow it shits the bed hard 3/4 of the way in. Almost hope the anime covers the initial good arcs and goes for an anime original ending.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that volleyball book sounds fun, I wonder what else this author has worked on....

I Love You My Teacher synopsis said:
Although Higuchi rejects her, Ichikawa does all she can to get her teacher to turn her way—even if it means making him grope her or holding his hand in class.
monkey_looking-300x161.png

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i really have to get a list together and make that villainess isekai subgenre page for tvtropes at some point

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like a part of me would really appreciate Jujutsu Kaisen, but another part of me just....doesn't like the character designs at all.

I look at the designs in that series and feel nothing.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
The anime bumped them a bit, but I also found the uniform design pretty bland when I read the manga.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

THIS IS OBVIOUSLY FAKE, but if it was real what would you all vote for? I'd go with Mx0 personally.

Oct 26, 2017
Oshi no Ko 39
Arima just can't get a break can she.
Guessing Aqua and Akane will appear modeling as a couple posing for a mag given the Instagram photo shoot and the Mana character they introduced in this chapter

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Kaguya 222

Finally this is the Fujiwara we would like to have in any chapter,, a girl that is supportive of her best friend. It was interesting to have some background about Fujiwara, and the reason why she decided not to play piano anymore, as well as she is so fond of games now.
Her reaction to the relationship between Kaguya and Miyuki was what I expected, at the end she was rwally oblivious to everything that was happening in the student council room.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Wandering Son Vol. 1-2

I am very much enjoying this book. While there's a few issues here and there I could point to with my limited knowledge, I generally feel like the author's intent in trying to tell the story of these two trans children is coming from the right place. I like how the characters don't overexplain themselves and have unwanted awkwardness between them as a result. They come off as extremely relatable. I feel like it's been pretty chill so far with the occasional bullying or friction between characters, but I sense things might get way more serious as the book continues. The art is fantastic, also. (Shoutout to Aurica for the rec)

Last edited:

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 222

Wholesome chapter with Fuji not being a terrible person for once!

For real though glad there was a real heart to heart between best friends.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Wandering Son Vol. 1-2

I am very much enjoying this book. While there's a few issues here and there I could point to with my limited knowledge, I generally feel like the author's intent in trying to tell the story of these two trans children is coming from the right place. I like how the characters don't overexplain themselves and have unwanted awkwardness between them as a result. They come off as extremely relatable. I feel like it's been pretty chill so far with the occasional bullying or friction between characters, but I sense things might get way more serious as the book continues. The art is fantastic, also. (Shoutout to Aurica for the rec)

ppfr4q3.jpg
I hope you enjoy it!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
That's fine. Then again, it's possible that maybe something else like Hard-Boiled is ending soon, possibly.

In case you're not reading both

BK just had it's main character get an out of nowhere power up called Gold Vigor like 2 chapters after introducing the entire premise of vigors of which gold wasn't one. It feels like the series giving the mc a crazy power up to solve the problem and then the story can end with the hero triumphant in 2 chapters.

Dolphin Cop could also very likely be in it's final battle, but it just started a flashback arc to establish the main villain and the dolphin cop himself. Clearly it's a flashback that was supposed to happen later in the story, but it doesn't feel like a set up to end in 2 chapters kinda move.

Maybe I'm wrong and BK will get back to it's weird tournament thing after this power and the flashback will be half a chapter, fight, and resolution in DC, I just don't see that happening.

Oct 25, 2017

30 in Japan and 20 worldwide. Congratulations, Horikoshi!

Where did you get 20 worldwide from?

Shueisha announced on Friday that Kōhei Horikoshi's My Hero Academia manga has over 50 million copies in circulation (including both print and digital copies), as of the release of the manga's 30th compiled book volume on the same day. The cumulative circulation in Japan alone has exceeded 37 million, and cumulative circulation outside of Japan is about 13 million.

www.animenewsnetwork.com

My Hero Academia Manga Has Over 50 Million Copies in Circulation Worldwide

Site opens to commemorate volume 30's launch on Friday

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Where did you get 20 worldwide from?

www.animenewsnetwork.com

My Hero Academia Manga Has Over 50 Million Copies in Circulation Worldwide

Site opens to commemorate volume 30's launch on Friday

I assumed because last time it was 30 or so in Japan.

As you can see from the comments on the old news here:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1376535001139982337?s=19

Most people thought the same.

My apologies. But 37 in Japan and 13 worldwide is also good news!

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Where did they get 37 from? It was at 30 just January that is from people got 20
国内累計発行部数が3700万部を突破
mantan-web.jp

僕のヒーローアカデミア:コミックス全世界累計5000万部突破 特設サイトにデクの激動の1年 荼毘の電波ジャックも - MANTANWEB(まんたんウェブ)

「週刊少年ジャンプ」(集英社)で連載中の堀越耕平さんのマンガ「僕のヒーローアカデミア」のコミックスの全世界累計発行部数が、5000万部を突破したことが4月2日、分かった。同日発売…

Status
Not open for further replies.