Status
Not open for further replies.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Detective Conan File 1061

Well, this new arc is starting off strong, an FBI serial killing by the Black Organization, it's got me very excited to see where it goes.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Mieruko-chan (Tomoki Izumi, 4 vol./ongoing)
514JXq91DxL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Mieruko-chan is not a character's name. It (見える子ちゃん) translates roughly to "girl who can see." What can she see? Freaky fucking ghosts. This series was not what I expected. I've had it recommended to me a lot when I'm browsing Japanese kindle stuff, and after seeing it there and in many Japanese horror recommendation aggregate blog posts, I figured I had to check it out. I always assumed it was straight horror, but it starts out feeling more like a slice of life horror-comedy. The horror typically comes from ghosts revealing themselves to Miko (the protagonist), and her hiding that she can see them. If they find out she sees them, she could be in danger. What's interesting about the horror-comedy is that the ghosts are rarely, if ever, used as the punchline. Miko's or other characters' reactions are sometimes played for humor, but that leaves the disturbing ghosts to remain tense and frightening.

I found myself hoping that the series would move away from the monster of the week format and introduce more characters or a purpose for the story to keep going, and as my wish came true, I found myself somewhat mixed about the result. I felt that as more of a narrative and a few other characters were introduced, the sense of horror became a bit muddled in the process. Very few serialized stories have their whole direction plotted from the beginning, but a great writer won't let the reader feel like that's the case; they'll weave the plot carefully so that every new direction feels organic. Mieruko-chan did feel like it was still figuring out its path, and I'm sure the editor(s) wanted to help the mangaka, Izumi, find a way to stretch it out due to its popularity. That's not all bad, though it's hard to tell if the series will end up better for it or not right now.

One thing I really love about Mieruko-chan is how Izumi uses different art styles to depict the ghosts compared to other characters or scenery. Beyond just the designs differing, heavier shading and deeper outlines give them a sense of danger. Sometimes, there's some crosshatching drawn in a way that makes the ghosts feel ethereal, messy, and dreadful. That's very well done.

8dd78b78df0c08e9a108a3e174b3ea2b.jpg

The humor is sometimes sorta lame due to the fact that the punchline is obvious, but I did find myself chuckling at the situations several times, so I guess it's more successful than not. I liked the gangster getting a kitten from Miko and being really sweet with it, and Miko's best friend, Hana, admitting that she eats what's essentially "second breakfast" as some hobbits are wont to do.

(a gangster is pictured here bringing his cat home and trying to think of names for it, like "Nyansuke" or "Nyangoroku.")
51KaLSB.png

(Hana goes to the school clinic, because she has hunger pains. She believes the cause was skipping "asago-gohan," meal-after-breakfast/second breakfast.)
ggeutFg.png

One thing that has bothered me from chapter one is that the danger of the ghosts finding out she can see them is never made explicit. It's dangerous, but how? Can they physically hurt her? It seems like she can walk through them, so I don't know how that would work. Would they haunt her and constantly speak to her? That would obviously have a major psychological effect on her, but it ends up feeling like ghosts are scary because... they're scary, and that's not too compelling. There are moments where ghosts try to attack her, but it's still unclear whether that would result in physical harm or death.

Overall, I'm enjoying the series and look forward to see where it's going. The current arc introduced a potential antagonist and seems to be pushing more into an overarching story. I just hope the author doesn't lose track of what made parts in earlier chapters disturbing.

Horror comics read this month (6 of 31 volumes):
#1 Kijin Gahou (Shintarou Kago, 1 vol.)
#2 Kiriko (Shingo Honda, 1 vol.)
#3 Mieruko-chan (Tomoki Izumi, 4 vol./ongoing)

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Emerging (Masaya Hokazono, 2 vol.)
19012369.jpg

I'm sure I would've felt differently if I weren't reading this during a pandemic, but it just felt... dull. The story moves quite slowly for most of the series, and then it wraps up suddenly in two chapters. It's about a new virus being discovered in Tokyo, but given that it's ostensibly a horror manga, I expected the virus to have some frightening and widespread affects. The deaths of those who have contracted the virus are disgusting, but that's as far as the horror really goes. Otherwise, it's more of a drama watching the doctors trying to figure out a way to stop it. There's far too much dialogue where nothing really moves forward, and none of the characters are too interesting beyond the one doctor who is in love with viruses, and... that's not really interesting in a good way. I just wanted to be done with it after reading a few chapters. I don't know how I keep ending up reading more Hokazono manga without realizing it's the same mangaka, but I guess that just shows how much of an impact his manga has on me. He's never impressed me with his other horror books, but I think they're a bit more polished than this early work.

Not recommended. Hardly a horror manga, and you're experiencing a more frightening story in 2020 if you're just witnessing coronavirus' effects.

Horror comics read this month (8 of 31 volumes):
#4 Emerging (Masaya Hokazono, 2 vol.)

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Mieruko-chan (Tomoki Izumi, 4 vol./ongoing)
514JXq91DxL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Mieruko-chan is not a character's name. It (見える子ちゃん) translates roughly to "girl who can see." What can she see? Freaky fucking ghosts. This series was not what I expected. I've had it recommended to me a lot when I'm browsing Japanese kindle stuff, and after seeing it there and in many Japanese horror recommendation aggregate blog posts, I figured I had to check it out. I always assumed it was straight horror, but it starts out feeling more like a slice of life horror-comedy. The horror typically comes from ghosts revealing themselves to Miko (the protagonist), and her hiding that she can see them. If they find out she sees them, she could be in danger. What's interesting about the horror-comedy is that the ghosts are rarely, if ever, used as the punchline. Miko's or other characters' reactions are sometimes played for humor, but that leaves the disturbing ghosts to remain tense and frightening.

I found myself hoping that the series would move away from the monster of the week format and introduce more characters or a purpose for the story to keep going, and as my wish came true, I found myself somewhat mixed about the result. I felt that as more of a narrative and a few other characters were introduced, the sense of horror became a bit muddled in the process. Very few serialized stories have their whole direction plotted from the beginning, but a great writer won't let the reader feel like that's the case; they'll weave the plot carefully so that every new direction feels organic. Mieruko-chan did feel like it was still figuring out its path, and I'm sure the editor(s) wanted to help the mangaka, Izumi, find a way to stretch it out due to its popularity. That's not all bad, though it's hard to tell if the series will end up better for it or not right now.

One thing I really love about Mieruko-chan is how Izumi uses different art styles to depict the ghosts compared to other characters or scenery. Beyond just the designs differing, heavier shading and deeper outlines give them a sense of danger. Sometimes, there's some crosshatching drawn in a way that makes the ghosts feel ethereal, messy, and dreadful. That's very well done.

8dd78b78df0c08e9a108a3e174b3ea2b.jpg

The humor is sometimes sorta lame due to the fact that the punchline is obvious, but I did find myself chuckling at the situations several times, so I guess it's more successful than not. I liked the gangster getting a kitten from Miko and being really sweet with it, and Miko's best friend, Hana, admitting that she eats what's essentially "second breakfast" as some hobbits are wont to do.

(a gangster is pictured here bringing his cat home and trying to think of names for it, like "Nyansuke" or "Nyangoroku.")
51KaLSB.png

(Hana goes to the school clinic, because she has hunger pains. She believes the cause was skipping "asago-gohan," meal-after-breakfast/second breakfast.)
ggeutFg.png

One thing that has bothered me from chapter one is that the danger of the ghosts finding out she can see them is never made explicit. It's dangerous, but how? Can they physically hurt her? It seems like she can walk through them, so I don't know how that would work. Would they haunt her and constantly speak to her? That would obviously have a major psychological effect on her, but it ends up feeling like ghosts are scary because... they're scary, and that's not too compelling. There are moments where ghosts try to attack her, but it's still unclear whether that would result in physical harm or death.

Overall, I'm enjoying the series and look forward to see where it's going. The current arc introduced a potential antagonist and seems to be pushing more into an overarching story. I just hope the author doesn't lose track of what made parts in earlier chapters disturbing.

Horror comics read this month (6 of 31 volumes):
Mieruko-chan is a delight but I don't think it's really horror, exactly. It has horror imagery but from the beginning it was about subverting and averting those key tropes to the conclusion of horror stories. The serialized elements just lend themselves further to that conclusion.

Also, I think the uncertainty about what happens if they notice her was great.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Also, I think the uncertainty about what happens if they notice her was great.
At the start, I'd agree. After 28 chapters and an overarching narrative with other ghosts and several attempted attacks, it just seems odd that the danger seems implied to be severe, despite no overt understanding of what that danger is. Even if "Godmother" said, "They'll do terrible things to you if they know you can see them," that'd be enough for me. Instead, it feels more like nobody knows haha.

I'd disagree with it not really being horror. Horror is extremely diverse, and though some chapters have a different focus, the chapters where she's facing a ghost that is especially dangerous are absolutely meant to frighten and disturb more than anything else.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
At the start, I'd agree. After 28 chapters and an overarching narrative with other ghosts and several attempted attacks, it just seems odd that the danger seems implied to be severe, despite no overt understanding of what that danger is. Even if "Godmother" said, "They'll do terrible things to you if they know you can see them," that'd be enough for me. Instead, it feels more like nobody knows haha.

I'd disagree with it not really being horror. Horror is extremely diverse, and though some chapters have a different focus, the chapters where she's facing a ghost that is especially dangerous are absolutely meant to frighten and disturb more than anything else.
I think that the mystery keeps the thrill alive pretty effectively, tbh.

And I do disagree with your disagreement. I think that the inevitability of horror - that whatever the characters might think, the knowledge that something terrible is going to happen - is the defining attribute. It's what distinguishes it from a tragedy or an action story, where defeat was avoidable or is in fact avoided by force. Mieuroko is, IMO, an extremely tense gag series more than it is anything else.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Again!! Vol. 1-12
I just blasted through all twelve volumes so I can't imagine what it was like to wait years for the story. I saw a decent amount of mixed reviews and I imagine the wait for translations didn't help with people wanting closure to the story. I don't often blast through a complete series like that though so something about the characters resonated with me and kept be hooked.

I'd heard the ending was a bit strange so I half expected it to end with Imamura in the future, searching eternally for Usami. The actual ending was much more satisfying than that! I appreciate that it acknowledges that not knowing the characters future is the point. I personally am drawn to open endings where it feels like anything can happen for these characters.

The "I Want To Die" arc was maybe actually a low point for me. I liked Imamura's development but missed out on having the focus be the Ouendan, with Reo and Usami. Having said it was a low point, I still enjoyed the series the whole way through.

Small favourite thing was the callbacks to Reo "thinking global". Shoutout for Imamura's grandmother too for just generally being... for just being!

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Until I meet my Husband 8

hemJtUD.png

Hmm, I have to say, this manga has a problem with the way the story it's told, it feels much more like a bunch of episodes connected together than a continous story. It still interesting to get a Japanese perspective on these problems, through.

thanks for introducing this manga to me, always looking out for good LGBT manga. I think it's cool to get a snapshot of someone's life like this.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
People tagging that one page of the new Kengan Omega with "his smile and optimism gone" sure got a huge chuckle out of me.

Oct 26, 2017
Q9bkN3T.jpg

NEW YOTSUBA CHAPTER (actually came out a couple days ago but didnt see anything)
Yotsuba and Backpack part 1

Oh snap, Yotsuba slowly inching towards going to school

Also I would read her storybook while getting my haircut

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Ran Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective 01
Pretty standard first chapter for when it comes to an eccentric detective series. The hook could be interested depending on how it is handled. Wasn't clear to me if the eye thing going on was just a stylistic choice or something more. Leaning towards the later. Will give it a few more chapters to see how it develops. Wonder how out there the individual cases/crimes will get.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Survive as the Hero's Wife latest: now I'm scared.

If Cesar dies I will riot. Not like this. Not after they just finally confirmed their feelings for each other.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
May I Ask You One Last Thing latest: kind of predictable, for the most part. Needed a new set of baddies for Scarlet to beat up, and I wasn't really expecting Julius to die - I'm sort of surprised they even tried to sell that as a real fakeout. Very ugly priest should fit the bill on that first one. They're introducing more limits to the divine blessings, too. Figure that that'll be more and more of a factor as time goes on and the stakes go up. We're very much in the "hero is totally unstoppable" phase, if this was a regular shonen. That's gonna give somewhere.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
From the look of it, I'd always assumed it was a Solo Levelling clone. How edgy is it on a scale of 1-to-10?
Solo Levelling is a lot better. The MC is a lot more likeable and the plot is better/different (minus the racism). I'd give TRK a 9/10 on edginess. It has everything you'd want in an edgy series: domination, an asshole MC, revenge, edgy language.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if next weeks Frieren will finally payoff Aura vs Bosself. I've been waiting for a month now for that. While I totally appreciate the chapters since every week felt pretty teasy.

Also got around to reading the third chapter of Völundio and the direction is really interesting and similarly lighthearted as how Helck began. The first arc is very Stone Age like with both characters trying to build up a place to live and it's fun high jinks. Still going to be a long road until we learn more about Kohaku's real intentions I feel.

September 2020
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
September Recommendation: Kimetsu no Yaiba (by Koyoharu Gotouge)

DO4T61Z.jpg

The origin of all exorcist manga in Jump | 23 volumes, complete work, licensed in English
In Taisho-era Japan, Tanjiro Kamado is a kindhearted boy who makes a living selling charcoal. But his peaceful life is shattered when a demon slaughters his entire family. His little sister Nezuko is the only survivor, but she has been transformed into a demon herself! Tanjiro sets out on a dangerous journey to find a way to return his sister to normal and destroy the demon who ruined his life. (source)

From Ascheroth:
It has: plenty of body horror, cool antagonists (with body horror :P), cool non-body-horror techniques (although that probably also counts as body-horror?), impossible architecture (I love impossible architecture), an awesome protagonist (seriously, that expression in the last panel gets me every time), dumb comedy faces... (source)

A bit late this month because my pc broke last week.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Stone 169

I guess the cast was too large to handle so we needed to retain just a 10th of them or something, lol.

Glad Chrome is coming along still. Taiju fans, hashtag sadface

Our Blood Oath 5
EkEA5KmXcAAqFDy

starting to love this manga alot hope it survives, probably wont as I've seen no one talking about it, but still, good story of friendship and vampires.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Doubt this one sticks, this villain just killed a major character and we saw said character turn into a blow up torso and charred bones. This would was deliberately obscured, but is clearly not as bad as it could have been.
Man, I hope you're right. I've been talking up Nobura to folks to try and get 'em into the anime (because she's pretty great), would be a damn shame if she's killed off here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Man, I hope you're right. I've been talking up Nobura to folks to try and get 'em into the anime (because she's pretty great), would be a damn shame if she's killed off here.

Others pointed out Sukuna has healing powers, my guess is Nobara will just run around with an eyepatch and some scarring around her eye going forward.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Dr Stone 169
Splitting the group up sounds about right. The cast is so huge at this point, I'd be hard to manage all of the characters going forward, and Senku has all the best characters with him anyway.

Isn't Ginro supposed to be with the group staying behind, though? He was totally absent from this chapter even though his brother and Magma were shown, which is kinda odd. Either Inagaki/Boichi forgot about him, or he was hiding in the sack that Kaseki smuggled off the boat last chapter, or something.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Magu-Chan: Ahhhhhhhhh this is too cute by half. Please live.

MYF: ...what?

We Never Learn: Again I say - this should've just been the end. The other routes don't remotely measure up.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hell's Paradise: RIP Mei.

This is probably them approaching the endgame, right? Assuming Rien doesn't hit the mainland and they have to fight their way across a Japan infested with Tao monsters or something.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
magubros.png

Someone made this on the wmr discord, accurate summary on my feelings towards Magu-Chan and it's poor ratings in Jump. At least it's getting a color page so maybe not all hope is lost.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We Never Learn

So yeah, asumi route is a legit 10/10 and by far the best ending so far, it's crazy how much chemistry there is between these 2 characters and how well they play off each other.

Chainsaw Man

Makima is giving off some horny vibes in those last few pannels.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I don't think I can hold out in regards to Jujutsu Kaisen anime. I'm probably gonna binge read the manga after episode 3 on Friday. The most recent I felt this way with an anime was with Kimetsu.

How's the manga overall? Has the series been consistent in quality?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Yea I don't think I can hold out in regards to Jujutsu Kaisen anime. I'm probably gonna binge read the manga after episode 3 on Friday. The most recent I felt this way with an anime was with Kimetsu.

Jujutsu had kind of a weaker start imo (the anime did a really good job of making it come off as stronger) and steadily improves as it goes along. The current arc is great.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I generally agree with RochHoch, though I would say the manga has had a few "...wait what" moments where the story seems to randomly jump around to a new set of characters or a flashback kinda out of nowhere. Other then that I've really enjoyed it.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Talentless Nana 1-40

Started reading this cause I was interested on where this was going after watching the first two anime episodes and well I'm def not going to continue watching the anime or reading the series lmao. Nana is kind of insufferable. The series falls into the trap of having a shitty person as a protagonist but not wanting to commit to it 100% or having the writing to back up in wanting to see what she is going to do. She isn't entertaining in a way like Light from Death Note is. She is a shitty person, but because of that, they have to somehow justify a ton of her kills by making the other characters also shitty people in particular ways so the narrative can justify the murders. When she gets conflicted it's "oh well they were shitty too and everything I was told is correct", so it's convenient for her to justify everything.

Also for someone who is a "super smart master manipulator", she can't realize that she is being manipulated into killing (mostly) innocent people? Like you can't tell the kid who's power is to heal people or the kid whose power is stop other people using their powers aren't going to be 100 million people murderers? Really? I bet anything that the weird shadow like government were the ones who killed her parents too. And way too many people who were killed had the convenient thing for her to not reveal her secret.

This kind of reminds me of my kind of hate watch of Overlord where I started to actively root against the protagonist but they need to succeed to keep the story going so it's a fruitless endeavor. Shitty people as protagonists is hard to get right and this series fails at it.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

What the other two said. The adaptation is really strengthening the story, but the manga's not bad by any means. I think that the anime is ultimately going to prove to be the definitive version if they keep up the quality, but it's worth reading so you know what's coming - I know that re-reading the stuff they've already adapted just made more more eager for more episodes.

GetDigitized

Oct 25, 2017
Jujutsu was great, but some chapters there was very little progression which i hate, so i stopped reading it weekly and just catch up on it in batches.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't get this Jujutsu Taisen chapter...was the one girl a lesbian?

I hope they didn't just off the girl though.

Status
Not open for further replies.