• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Did anybody read Bota Bota by the author of Beastars? The premise is weird and icky but the ending panels are truly amazing.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
OP is 80m units outside of Japan (16.7% of total)
Naruto is 100m (40%)
Dragon Ball is not clear. Between 80m and 170m (Most likely number imo is 135m) (So between 30% and 49%, with most likely at 43%)
Bleach is 30m (25%)
Fist of the North Star is 40m (40%)
Fairy Tail is 30m+ (42%+)

One Piece is just disproportionately popular in Japan. It's still huge in the rest of the world.

Suddenly, 20% is a big ass number lmao. Oda is a legend.

Oct 25, 2017
I think its also really important to remember that the culture around manga in the west was veerrrrrryyyyy different when One Piece started versus MHA. One Piece was very daunting to get into when MHA started getting big with an anime.

Oct 25, 2017
MHA came at the right time. Superheroes were bigger than ever, and along comes this manga that's not only a loving tribute to them, but its own superhero story. Then the anime came out and propelled it into the stratosphere.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
No wonder JJK is exploding in popularity. Its violent anime Harry Potter for people who can't stand usual Harry Potter and its shitty creator.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I guess when even if it's horrible, it's not going to make people buy less volumes in the West... I guess
Really the cast didn't look that bad.
And rule of statics say even if the chance is almost zero, as long as it's not zero if you repeat the same experiment (in this case adapting an manga/anime into a live action western show) it will eventually work :P

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think its also really important to remember that the culture around manga in the west was veerrrrrryyyyy different when One Piece started versus MHA. One Piece was very daunting to get into when MHA started getting big with an anime.
Only in the US
Anime has been popular in places like latin america and France for a long time
In fact OP is very big in france

Oct 25, 2017
Yonkou forgot to put Magu-chan after Undead Unluck in that list.
This is Nine Dragon's first ranking. Not a good look so far, but we'll see.

Also, here's Phantom Seer's replacement.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Here's the vomic for the Blue Box one-shot for those curious:

www.youtube.com

【ジャンプ漫画】部活に恋愛どちらも大事!憧れの先輩と二人きりの朝の体育館から始まる青春ラブストーリーがここに!『アオのハコ』前編【ボイスコミック】

週刊少年ジャンプに掲載され反響を呼んだ、三浦糀先生の読み切り作品『アオのハコ』を特別にボイスコミック化!溢れ出る青春のキラキラにニヤニヤ間違いなしだ!©三浦糀/集英社★おすすめ動画『ハイキュー‼』最終45巻発売記念特集!古舘春一先生の新人賞受賞読切作品『王様キッド』のボイスコミック前編はこちら▼https://y...
www.youtube.com

【ジャンプ漫画】憧れの女バスの先輩へ、この想いを届けたい…!高校の体育館で刻まれる、青春の1ページ『アオのハコ』後編【ボイスコミック】

週刊少年ジャンプに掲載され反響を呼んだ、三浦糀先生の読み切り作品『アオのハコ』を特別にボイスコミック化!どこまでも真っすぐな青春ラブストーリーを皆様にお届けします。©三浦糀/集英社★おすすめ動画『アオのハコ』ボイスコミック前編はこちら▼https://youtu.be/RyjlmS_lTjQ『ハイキュー‼』最終4...

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Maybe it'll fall in the rankings a bit before long, but Elusive Samurai seems like it's doing super well, huh? Seems like Matsui could have another hit on his hands.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Maybe it'll fall in the rankings a bit before long, but Elusive Samurai seems like it's doing super well, huh? Seems like Matsui could have another hit on his hands.

IMO the story has only gotten better as it's gone. The last two chapters with the dog shooting competition were really compelling and really sold me on the lead.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Nine Dragons is taking too long to get the team together and actually play games. That's probably going to burn it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Nine Dragons is taking too long to get the team together and actually play games. That's probably going to burn it.

It was for sure a risk, shame the series ended up in Jump and not on like Manga+ or another magazine. Jump is probably too cutthroat for a "lets build the team over 20-30 chapters".

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not convinced this is a huge problem when it took over 20 chapters for Slam Dunk to have anything resembling an actual basketball game and even then it didn't focus on basketball or even finish recruiting the core team until like chapter 50 after a several chapter long delinquent fight that's only connection to the sport was it took place in the gym with basketball club members

If you want a more modern comparison Haikyuu was also still in team building mode at this point in it's run, with the first real practice match against another team starting in chapter 11. I actually think rushing into matches without establishing the cast tends to be something you see more in failed sports series.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It was for sure a risk, shame the series ended up in Jump and not on like Manga+ or another magazine. Jump is probably too cutthroat for a "lets build the team over 20-30 chapters".
Jump's online services already have sports manga from my understanding and WSJ has none, so this is the smarter move on their. Here the writer and/or editor messed up.

Also, the writer is introducing the most popular positions first(pitcher, catcher, cleanup hitter, and shortstop), but I'm not sure the characters are interesting enough to carry the series. I don't see it lasting unfortunately.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
IMO the story has only gotten better as it's gone. The last two chapters with the dog shooting competition were really compelling and really sold me on the lead.
Yeah, I've been liking it from the start, but it's really starting to pick up with these past few chapters. I've been enjoying the use of all those anachronisms thanks to the priests ability, it makes the tone more fun.
Been thinking this as well. We're looking at least one, could be two or more mini-arcs before actually getting to a ball game, that's probably gonna be too long for Jump.

I was reading some Eyeshield 21 recently and was reminded of how it skirted around this issue by using some randos as team filler so the series could jump into some games before introducing the rest of the team as it went along. I did like that approach.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not convinced this is a huge problem when it took over 20 chapters for Slam Dunk to have anything resembling an actual basketball game and even then it didn't focus on basketball or even finish recruiting the core team until like chapter 50 after a several chapter long delinquent fight that's only connection to the sport was it took place in the gym with basketball club members

If you want a more modern comparison Haikyuu was also still in team building mode at this point in it's run, with the first real practice match against another team starting in chapter 11. I actually think rushing into matches without establishing the cast tends to be something you see more in failed sports series.
Both Slam Dunk and Haikyuu have all time great level characters that were being developed to help at the beginning. Also, this is different from what something like Haikyuu did.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
had to check blue box's author miura kouji on mangaupdates
yeah never read any of his works since it's all romance

Oct 25, 2017

I think hinomaru was also building up a team this early too.

Team buildings a great way at introducing characters.

Prebuilt teams may give writers trouble, too many characters to juggle with this early, difficulty making them more than talking heads, making readers care for them

(think of the 2nd years in early haikyuu, ennoshita, kinoshita, and narita were there but no one paid attention to them)

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I think hinomaru was also building up a team this early too.

Team buildings a great way at introducing characters.

Prebuilt teams may guve writers trouble, too many characters to juggle with this early, difficulty making them more than talking heads, making readers care for them

(think of the 2nd years in early haikyuu, ennoshita, kinoshita, and narita were there but no one paid attention to them)
It did, but Hinomaru still had complete matches from the beginning and even a tournament before the full team was put together. Sumo is a better sport for that kind of thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Richter1887
Poodlestrike
Black Bishop

Seem to know a lot more about good ones to recommend but I'm really enjoying Beware the Villainess and Death is the only Ending for the Villainess so far. They're manwha on Tapas.
Agreed with these two. My favourite is Beware the Villainess by far as Melissa is such a badass character.

I have been reading Anyone can become a Villainess and the Villainess Lives Twice. Both of these are about women who were "sacrificed" by their families and decide to go "screw this" and change their life. The first one is a reincarnation story with a lady who is an archer and is more of an adventure story. The main character who is called Niviea is pretty cool and interesting. She is very witty and smart, not over powered but not fearless. Her story is trying to get away from her family and survive.

Right now it is more of a road trip type of story which could change later on. The second is more of a planning and deceiving type of story. Tia was manipulated by her mother and brother (who were cold to her) to do awful things to feel "loved" then she is sentenced to die then she decides to find a way to redo her life. From there she goes the opposite direction. She is still very cold and her experience from the prior life hardened her heart. The story is about how she uses her prior life to prevent her destruction and stop her brother. This delivers really well on the "villainess" aspect.

I also started reading Your Throne after someone recommended it to me. Still early on but it seems to be good. It is about a villainess and a heroine so you see both sides. It is well written so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.