• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaldheim - Halvar, God of Battle

laikalot

May 30, 2020
First of the Kaldheim gods (and his sword) via Amon Amarth. (source)

arfkbrk1dn561.png

6l5w0cz1dn561.png

That should be it until Jan 7th.

Last edited:

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Huh - gods that dual as equipment is....interesting, but the creature side seems less 'good' compared to the other gods, who have some form of protection, or at least pseudo-protection.

That sword seems busted for any ETB deck, tho

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
A modal DFC that's a creature on one side and an equipment on the other is probably the best way of solving the issue of equipment decks being ridiculously inconsistent, since unlike Living Weapons it retains some degree of actual choice in the gameplay instead of just auto-generating the creature to equip.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was weird that Halvar could die so easily, but him being hard to kill if he has his own equipment makes sense.

Kaldheim - Collecting Kaldheim

laikalot

May 30, 2020
magic.wizards.com

Collecting Kaldheim

Here's an early look at what you need to know about the truly epic card treatments available in the upcoming Kaldheim set.

No new cards spoiled, but they go over how many of the showcase arts and what not there are. Also, a new mechanic they'll reveal during the Jan 7th spoiler stream.

There are 12 showcase Viking uncommons, 14 rares, and 8 mythic rares. You can find showcase legendary cards in Draft, Set, and Collector Boosters as well as within products that contain those boosters. Additionally, select showcase uncommons can be found within Theme Boosters.

In addition to the borderless Pathways and planeswalkers, we wanted to show off a cycle of five cards in the set that feature a new mechanic unique to Kaldheim. All these cards—Pathways, planeswalkers, and a cycle of five mythic rares featuring a new mechanic—receive a special art and borderless frame treatment.

We're not quite ready to show you this new mechanic yet, so check back January 7 when we'll bring the tale to you and share what those five cards look like.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I love the direction of the showcase frames. They're reminiscent of the Eldraine ones, which I absolutely love.

Kaldheim - MaRo hints
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Person at the end is Tibalt, captions confirm.

Maro’s Kaldheim Teaser

Before the Kaldheim full previews officially begin, I thought I’d have some fun with another Maro teaser where I give you tiny hints of things to come. As always, be aware that I’m only giving you...

Before the Kaldheim full previews officially begin, I thought I'd have some fun with another Maro teaser where I give you tiny hints of things to come. As always, be aware that I'm only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect to see in Kaldheim:

• a five-color legendary enchantment
• 2{B} for a 6/6 with deathtouch
• a card that allows you to kill someone with poison
• A card with a {W}{W}{U}{U}{B}{B}{R}{R}{G}{G},{T} activation
• a card that lets you use a creature's toughness to perform an action normally using a creature's power
• numerous new noncreature tokens
• a card that can make a token that's a copy of target permanent for no mana
• a black creature that can copy other creatures
• the introduction of a creature type that players have been wanting for years
• a card with three activation costs, one that's only ever used once before and the other two have never been used before

Here are some snippets of rules text you'll see:
• "protection from God creatures"
• "Sacrifice five Treasures:"
• "if three or more creatures died this turn"
• "Choose 1, 2, or 3 at random."
• "except for Giants, Wizards, and lands"
• "you may search your library and/or graveyard for a Rune card"
• "As long as you control three or more legendary creatures"
• "X is the number of Vehicles you control plus the number of Equipment you control"
• "As long as you have at least 7 life more than your starting life total"
• "create X of those tokens instead"

And finally, here are some creature type lines you'll see:
• Angel Warrior
• Zombie Rogue
• Dwarf Cleric
• Horse Spirit
• Vampire Dragon
• Legendary Creature – Wolf
• Legendary Creature – Bird Spirit
• Legendary Creature – Giant Wizard
• Legendary Creature – Demon Berserker
• Legendary Creature – Squirrel

~~~

Surprised to see poison return seemingly as a one-off.
Legendary Squirrel! We did it!
Not sure what creature type could be introduced, if it isn't Viking.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm betting kill someone with poison is an effect like "Chose a type of counter on target creature or player. Give ten counters of that type"

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Bought an M21 rare off eBay and it came with a silver Planeswalker logo in the bottom right corner of the art, stamped in. Sup with that? Never seen this before.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Person at the end is Tibalt, captions confirm.

Maro’s Kaldheim Teaser

Before the Kaldheim full previews officially begin, I thought I’d have some fun with another Maro teaser where I give you tiny hints of things to come. As always, be aware that I’m only giving you...

Before the Kaldheim full previews officially begin, I thought I'd have some fun with another Maro teaser where I give you tiny hints of things to come. As always, be aware that I'm only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect to see in Kaldheim:

• a five-color legendary enchantment
• 2{B} for a 6/6 with deathtouch
• a card that allows you to kill someone with poison
• A card with a {W}{W}{U}{U}{B}{B}{R}{R}{G}{G},{T} activation
• a card that lets you use a creature's toughness to perform an action normally using a creature's power
• numerous new noncreature tokens
• a card that can make a token that's a copy of target permanent for no mana
• a black creature that can copy other creatures
• the introduction of a creature type that players have been wanting for years
• a card with three activation costs, one that's only ever used once before and the other two have never been used before

Here are some snippets of rules text you'll see:
• "protection from God creatures"
• "Sacrifice five Treasures:"
• "if three or more creatures died this turn"
• "Choose 1, 2, or 3 at random."
• "except for Giants, Wizards, and lands"
• "you may search your library and/or graveyard for a Rune card"
• "As long as you control three or more legendary creatures"
• "X is the number of Vehicles you control plus the number of Equipment you control"
• "As long as you have at least 7 life more than your starting life total"
• "create X of those tokens instead"

And finally, here are some creature type lines you'll see:
• Angel Warrior
• Zombie Rogue
• Dwarf Cleric
• Horse Spirit
• Vampire Dragon
• Legendary Creature – Wolf
• Legendary Creature – Bird Spirit
• Legendary Creature – Giant Wizard
• Legendary Creature – Demon Berserker
• Legendary Creature – Squirrel

~~~

Surprised to see poison return seemingly as a one-off.
Legendary Squirrel! We did it!
Not sure what creature type could be introduced, if it isn't Viking.
Legendary Squirrel???

uu9pmDP.gif

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
ch3rhed31t561.png

Captura.PNG

Looks really good, and can wreck some shit in Legacy with their fetches and rocks. Plus, you know, you can play it just as a growing wolf boy.

~~~

Also, some crazy Rebecca Guay collaborations with other artists coming up

Whoa whoa whoa.

It exile each OTHER permanent???? That's insane! In a Golgari Counters deck or even just mixed into a deck with Golgari rogues that would be bananas.

And it's a RARE????

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I dono, not a lot of 3 mana 3/3s survive to your next upkeep let alone survive for a turn then you either kill some enemy creatures or do some other +1/+1 counter play, then survive until the upkeep again in order to Do the Thing. And even if you Do the Thing, BG strats are usually pretty reliant on low cost permanents themselves what with the mana dorks and food and deathtouch creatures and elves and such.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Better pictures:
unknown.png
unknown.png

No statement about what foretell is.
It seems likely to involve exiling cards from your hand. The name also seems awfully close to Forecast so it will be interesting to see how similar or different it is from that mechanic.
Didn't we see on another card that Foretell is basically spell morph? You can reveal it and exile it for 2 to later cast it for its Foretell cost?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we see on another card that Foretell is basically spell morph? You can reveal it and exile it for 2 to later cast it for its Foretell cost?
That was when Ranar was leaked (or rather, there was a blurry photo of the Commander deck packaging), and someone on Reddit who had a track record for being accurate said that's what foretell is.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Does anyone in here play Historic on Arena?

I've been playing mostly Historic for the past two months. Mono Green Stompy took me to mythic in November. Now I'm playing a mix of Jund Sac in BO3 ladder and a Wg lifegain deck splashing for Company in BO1. Sultai is the best deck for sure though just because it doesnt have any truly terrible matchups (and Uro obviously).

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing mostly Historic for the past two months. Mono Green Stompy took me to mythic in November. Now I'm playing a mix of Jund Sac in BO3 ladder and a Wg lifegain deck splashing for Company in BO1. Sultai is the best deck for sure though just because it doesnt have any truly terrible matchups (and Uro obviously).
I do a bit, yeah. I've got this Phyrexian Obliterator deck that uses Primal Might to make them sacrifice permanents. The meta feels pretty stale, but I don't mind it at all.
Do I need to buy anything to play Historic? Or can I use all the cards I have currently?

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like an absolute moron now. I wish I had saved all my decks from before the rotation.

I had so many good decks 😑
They'd be pretty meh. The power level of Historic, particularly BO1 is pretty crazy. Plenty of decks just end it by turn 4. If you hate Embercleave in Standard, just wait until you see Muxus.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Well I just find myself missing a lot of the cards that rotated out. I keep imaging loads of fun decks I wanna try. Especially Dimur and Mono White.

Mono white definitely works in Historic. It'll be far from the best deck but it can reach mythic no problem. It loses pretty hard to control decks but anything aggressive is a good matchup in particular Goblins since they run very little interaction. Authority of the Consuls + Heliod is an auto-win vs Goblins. The tap effect destroys the Muxus/Krenko plays.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Mono white definitely works in Historic. It'll be far from the best deck but it can reach mythic no problem. It loses pretty hard to control decks but anything aggressive is a good matchup in particular Goblins since they run very little interaction. Authority of the Consuls + Heliod is an auto-win vs Goblins. The tap effect destroys the Muxus/Krenko plays.
There is Historic ranked? Do you get rewards for it like you do from standard?

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
There is Historic ranked? Do you get rewards for it like you do from standard?

Yeah your Constructed rank in Arena includes both Standard and Historic. You can rank up playing only one format or both. If you don't see Historic Ranked a play option I believe there is a button somewhere in the client that says something like "show all play modes".

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the Cube Draft counts towards limited rank? I'm saving up gold for Kaldheim, but don't want to lose the boosters that you get at the end of the month for your limited rank.

Otherwise I'll just play a regular draft one of these days.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Okay... so don't force storm even if it's Supreme vintage draft cuz you might not open Yawgmoth's Will and Tendrils in 18 packs. Just like normal vintage cube I guess.

Just had an opponent cast a t2 Consecrated Sphinx with Black Lotus and a Mox, which I tried to Force of Will which promptly got Force of Willed.

Also EVERYONE is playing blue.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Well I just find myself missing a lot of the cards that rotated out. I keep imaging loads of fun decks I wanna try. Especially Dimur and Mono White.
Play non-ranked. You'll still run into plenty of bullshit hyper competitive decks, but there are people like me around too. Ya know, bullshit non-competitive Johnny as Fuck decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.