WPN banner
667bsjpr9n461.jpg

Kaldheim preview schedule and planeswalkers
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Kaldheim "sneak peak previews" will be happening this week, then proper previews will start on January 7. Unclear if this means cards, or just art and flavor.
magic.wizards.com

Welcome to the Face-Melting World of Kaldheim | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Smashing our way to a week of metal moments straight from Kaldheim to your brain.
RmTo3Xrll4.jpg

BtWh5S0qdf.jpg

iTqoZQutw3.jpg

Bj8c18kOkK_1.jpg

zPA2fSklJW_1.jpg

9NPpnaBsWR.jpg

7EowMbUD9n.jpg

48wOJlguie_1.jpg

9pBe5yHRmM.jpg

5wUAy1UXYi.jpg

goLX3Xbijy_1.jpg

hCSp4W6c92_1.jpg

en_V3qt52CKF3.png

New planeswalker: Tyvar Kell
magic.wizards.com

Creating Tyvar Kell | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Members of the Creative team introduce Tyvar Kell, one of two new Planeswalkers debuting in Kaldheim.

9RLrF3fswQ_icon.jpg

Elves used to be the gods of the plane, but then the current gods took over and kicked them out. Elves then split into wood elves and shadow elves, but the new elf king has united the two. Tyvar is his boastful and warlike brother, notable for going shirtless even in the freezing cold. His magic allows him to transform himself and other objects into materials that are nearby, so he can turn his skin to rock, or into lava if any is nearby.

New planeswalker: Niko Aris
magic.wizards.com

Creating Niko Aris | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Members of the Creative team introduce Niko Aris, one of two new Planeswalkers debuting in Kaldheim.

0PzR2yKqll.jpg

Niko actually comes from Theros, and is nonbinary. An oracle foresaw that they would be a great athlete who would never lose, so then they purposely lost a competition to show fate has no power over them. Klothys sent an agent after them, and during the confrontation, they sparked and fled to another world. They are newly sparked and are trying to figure out their path on Kaldheim. Niko can summon mirror-like daggers that can trap living things in a pocket dimension on contact, though normal people can break out in minutes and strong people in seconds. This can be used to surprise enemies with a summoned ally out of nowhere, though. Niko is blue-aligned, and is an attempt to explore a different characterization space from other blue planeswalkers. Niko questioning fate and breaking away from it was meant to mirror the nonbinary experience. "Niko is helping to express some of the more positive and aspirational sides of blue: the desire to learn, the dedication to improve oneself, the discipline to practice skills, and the curiosity to question the parts of the world other people might take for granted." Chris Mooney and Katie Allison, both nonbinary, played big roles in their development.

Last edited:

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I can't pay these people to bring back Koth but meanwhile Tibalt of all red walkers keeps creeping back in like a lingering fart.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Tibalt, the Lingering Fart actually made it to top three R&D suggestions for the name of the card, but it was decided that lingering is outside of red's color pie and would require shifting him into Rakdos.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but think Tyvar is just Oko with a new hat. I know Oko's not technically an Elf, but he might as well be.

Niko is neat, but I feel like the art doesn't reflect the character description. They're supposed to be a super physical character (to contrast with the typical mindmage) and instead they're really thin. I do like that they're at least wearing armor.

Oct 28, 2017
I can't help but think Tyvar is just Oko with a new hat. I know Oko's not technically an Elf, but he might as well be.

Niko is neat, but I feel like the art doesn't reflect the character description. They're supposed to be a super physical character (to contrast with the typical mindmage) and instead they're really thin. I do like that they're at least wearing armor.

I think he looks very fit and probably bulkier than an actual fighter would want to be. He's agile, not brutish.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Impulse draw is worse than regular card draw though, especially in control decks. The rest of the card isn't very relevant for control either. Aggro generally doesn't want to spend four mana for something that doesn't impact the board. So that just leaves midrange. Shame that Omnath got banned lol

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Your routine reminder for the day: that card is going to be busted in Commander decks.

I mean I don't even have to read the card to predict that if it's an artifact, at this point. Artifact Rare/Mythic slots may as well print straight into Commander decks.

Oct 28, 2017
Your routine reminder for the day: that card is going to be busted in Commander decks.

I mean I don't even have to read the card to predict that if it's an artifact, at this point. Artifact Rare/Mythic slots may as well print straight into Commander decks.

Well, yeah, it's good in tribal commander decks. Most decks aren't tribal. It is an auto-include in a tribal commander deck though for the most part, but even then not all. I have a pseudo-angel commander deck and I don't think I'd run it.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Well, yeah, it's good in tribal commander decks. Most decks aren't tribal. It is an auto-include in a tribal commander deck though for the most part, but even then not all. I have a pseudo-angel commander deck and I don't think I'd run it.

Yeah, talking more the potential for decks like dragons to use it to tutor out game-ending combos or even largely non-tribal decks just to abuse it for a source of redundancy getting out their combos. It's not hard to turn on with Changelings and the other usual shenanigans.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, talking more the potential for decks like dragons to use it to tutor out game-ending combos or even largely non-tribal decks just to abuse it for a source of redundancy getting out their combos. It's not hard to turn on with Changelings and the other usual shenanigans.

I think running Changelings to take advantage of this card would be...unwise. I don't think this card is nearly as good as the hype is making it out to be. It'll be a very solid performer in tribal decks, but that's kinda it I think.

Kaldheim - Magda, Brazen Outlaw; set and theme booster cards

laikalot

May 30, 2020
Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
There's also several cards previewed in today's article, but I can't grab them on my phone.

magic.wizards.com

Set and Theme Booster Additional Cards in Kaldheim | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

We have new things in store for Set and Theme Boosters coming with the release of Kaldheim, and you can see some of these unique cards here first.
These cards tell us a lot about the set themes.

Angel (and berserker) tribal

en_jhs0oYsAiI.png
en_sY0n8dIere.png
en_l9aTZWvlg8.png

en_XWS9qDHKaO.png
en_mUq000a0Gj.png
en_D3op5xZgDQ.png

Giant tribal

en_OVFvnC9jpW.png
en_i9FMGJVCsW.png

en_F24pGoLZ2u.png
en_moyiGkKoGy.png

Elf tribal

en_BoBlXH4mfu.png
en_FB8cLyy4Fs.png

en_ye7G7O4nEd.png
en_xA0X4Toton.png

Dwarf, vehicle, equipment, and treasure tribal

en_W6z9l6tmck.png
en_q6VfDCPk6c.png

en_x4wVbr0rkl.png
en_2HuNdmV1LS.png

And changelings! With shapeshifter tribal.

en_7fT5RLLYEK.png
en_W2mF40XGwB.png

Also, The List is getting updated
magic.wizards.com

Updating The List for Kaldheim | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Check out our latest updates to The List, 300 interesting cards from Magic's past that can be found in Kaldheim Set Boosters.

Shamash

Nov 25, 2019
Brazil
Hello! Originally i tried posting in the arena thread, but it seems to be rather dead, and i noticed people here talk arena (at least while the pandemic lasts).
Currently i'm platinum rank thanks to a silly R/G landfall aggro deck, though i also have a B/W lifegain nonsense deck and am attempting to put together a R/U (or monored) burn deck.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
All the angel cards had me excited, but Rampage of the Valkyries has me considering my first deluxe pre-order on arena.

I love me some themed decks like Knights or Rogues, but Angels is looking like a solid contender right now and I am HYPED.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Hello! Originally i tried posting in the arena thread, but it seems to be rather dead, and i noticed people here talk arena (at least while the pandemic lasts).
Currently i'm platinum rank thanks to a silly R/G landfall aggro deck, though i also have a B/W lifegain nonsense deck and am attempting to put together a R/U (or monored) burn deck.
The cheapest playable deck is cycling. It really needs no rare or mythic (other than the optional Lurrus).

Other than that, you can improve a red deck to competitive levels by replacing rares with cheaper cards and improve it as you go.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the arena thread seems to be dead and most of the talk is in here now I guess(?) with Covid going on.

Your best bet in my opinion is to just go for a basic mono-red. It's slightly pricey as far as wildcards go, but once you have it you will just start steamrolling people. It's been my go to for rank grinding since Theros.

However if you are wanting some more abstract decks that are a bit more fun there are some excellent Doom Foretold decks out there. That's what got me to diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies.